Listenin' To Prog and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiResGeek, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Phanerothyme

Phanerothyme Forum Resident

Ola Kvernberg - Steamdome II: The Hypogean

[​IMG]

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

s/t - Captain Beyond
    WLP
    [​IMG]

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Kraftwerk - TEE

I will probably play all albums up to Tour de France this weekend. Truly unique style.

[​IMG]

4. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

NP:
    Klaus Schulze - Picture Music

[​IMG]

That's the cover which my copy has. Ugly picture, ugly Thunderbolt logo slapped on it. But it's got the tracks in the correct order, which not all CD issues of this album do. And while I think Cyborg still works fine with its tracks mixed up like they are on my CD, Picture Music doesn't IMO.

reapers likes this.
  5. Norco74

Before the dark side...

[​IMG]

Slick Willie, BPMC, ytserush and 2 others like this.
  6. no.nine

NP:
    Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t

[​IMG]

Unlike so many Italian Prog bands of the '70s, this isn't a one-shot band. They're a two-shot band! And what shots they were! Both albums are great IMHO, but different from each other. To be completely simplistic, this debut is the harder of the two and Il Tempo Della Gioia is softer. To me, both are indispensable.

7. Norco74

Playing now: A Wink and a Nod by Camel

Sometimes you need a change from their 70’s ouput. I always like Andy Latimer guitar tone.

[​IMG]

reapers and Jmac1516 like this.
  8. no.nine

NP:
    Peter Hammill - A Black Box

[​IMG]

BPMC, Relikk, Svetonio and 1 other person like this.
  9. Norco74

Got lucky during my Saturday morning errands. Found this one used in NM condition. Spinning it now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening to Good Morning.

11. no.nine

NP:
    Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

[​IMG]

Heavy Japanese psych from 1971. I was surprised when I found out some years ago that this is apparently a staple rock album in Japan, known and liked even by folks who aren't otherwise into psych or prog rock at all. Anyway, a great album for those so inclined.

jay.dee and Norco74 like this.
  12. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Y’all don’t think Phish can do prog, but ...

ytserush and jay.dee like this.
  13. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I've discovered 'Trespass' a week ago: wow! Although I know Peter Gabriel's solo work fairly well, I've never listened to a single Genesis album until now. I'm looking forward to exploring them all in depth, at least until and including 'Wind and Wuthering'.

Also, on the merit of 'Trespass', I've totally fallen for Anthony Phillips' solo work big time, and been listening to all I can by him for days now.

Furthermore, on the merit of Steven Wilson & Tim Bowness' 'The Album Years' web podcast, I've also been enjoying Jon Anderson's solo album 'Olias of Sunhillow' recently.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    NorthNY Mark, Norco74 and rancher like this.
  14. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Welcome to some great ones!! I love people finding these great old albums as it reminds to go back and listen. Olias is great. Nursury Cryme is my favorite of the old Genesis, but can’t go wrong w any of them

Max Florian likes this.
  15. no.nine

Trespass is a gorgeous album, probably the most strongly pastoral of all the Genesis releases. If you haven't heard it yet, check out Anthony Phillips' The Geese & the Ghost. It's almost a twin brother release, with a lot of the same qualities.

16. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Welp I posted Los Jaivas in the crossover language thread, but the pride of Chile had this prog classic, La Poderosa Muerte

Max Florian likes this.
  17. Norco74

If you like Trespass then look out for early Anthony Phillips albums. They are pure gems.

The Geese and the Ghost
    Wise After the Event

Max Florian and rancher like this.
  18. Slick Willie

Fragile - Yes
    WLP.
    [​IMG]

ultron9 and M2225 like this.
  19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean - 1972

[​IMG]

Max Florian, reapers, Norco74 and 3 others like this.
  20. Norco74

This is where it started for Edison’s Children. If you like long epics then this is for you. Nice balance between vocal and instrumental songs. Hopefully a fifth album will be eventually released .

[​IMG]

ytserush likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

Grace Under Pressure - Rush
    -1/-1-1, BK x 2, promo stamped.
    [​IMG]

ultron9, AnotherBoss, Relikk and 2 others like this.
  22. no.nine

NP:
    Ange - Caricatures

[​IMG]

olegrayman and reapers like this.
  23. Slick Willie

Happy 51st!!!

In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson
    A1/B1, UK press.
    [​IMG]

24. no.nine

NP:
    Mr. Sirius - Barren Dream

[​IMG]

Japanese prog from 1989. A beautiful, remarkable album, most of it is very lush and intoxicating, with a few frantic outbursts to liven things up. Large stretches sound very reminiscent of the tranquil parts of Steve Hackett circa Spectral Mornings. And the female vocalist, Hiroko Nagai (a.k.a. Lisa Ohki), is superb; maybe the best one I've ever heard in Japanese Prog. But the real star of this album is the songwriting. The music is elegant and it's very sophisticated harmonically and compositionally. I remember that on my first listen, I was underwhelmed because so much of the album is sedate, and the music is not immediate so there wasn't much to grab onto right away. This is one of those albums that you have to listen to a few times for everything to sink in. But I now consider this to be one of the finest and most individual of the '80s Japanese prog scene; completely essential.

Their 2nd album, Dirge, is also excellent. But despite its title, it's actually more lively than Barren Dream and in fact, some prog fans prefer Dirge. Although I can understand why they would, I think Barren Dream is stronger and more enchanting. I say check them both out! :)

jay.dee and NorthNY Mark like this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

My friend and I do a birthday exchange in May (though mine's a few months away) and he was generous enough to get me Family's At The BBC box, which includes a whopping seven discs worth of material and a DVD--an embarrassment of riches! Some of the sound quality is a bit rough, but it's worth it to hear the fiery performances as the set comprehensively lays out their development from line up to line up. Listening to the first disc from the '67 - '68 period, these guys were ahead of the curve. . .

reapers and jay.dee like this.