Listening to King Crimson Discipline on vinyl...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ifyouever, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Are there any re-issue/remastered versions of this on vinyl? Looking to purchase this one but it doesn't look like this has had any special treatment on vinyl after it's initial release (other than some Japanese release in '88). Am I wrong?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think you are correct, but I assume a new 200g release from DGM should be arriving pretty soon.

3. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Does this copy have a barcode number? thanks.

4. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

Hi Stefano - yes, my copy does have a barcode in the upper right hand corner. It is small in size. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Hope all is well in Italy.

Stefano G. likes this.
  5. Stefano G.

It seems not so easy to find a made in the USA copy with the GP signature etched in both sides. At least here in Italy. My copy has the George Piros signature etched in side one only...
    Probably only the first run had the Piros signature etched in both sides.

6. Stefano G.

In particular, my copy has E1/E1 matrix endings. But only the first side has the Piros signature. Now I don't remember the difference between S and E as for the Warner matrix codes; maybe @W.B. can help me..thanks.

7. curbach

Just because Piros didn’t sign both sides does not necessarily mean he did not cut both sides.

Stefano G. likes this.
  8. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

9. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

I have all of the Trilogy on original US vinyl - bought them back in the day - plus the 12" mix of Sleepless. I thought they sounded great back then - I should really "dust" them off and re-listen. They should be in great shape - back in those days I'd play an album once or twice to make cassettes for daily use, then only play the vinyl for dedicated listening sessions.

I also bought the corresponding CDs around 1984 - and I remember having trouble finding a US edition of Discipline, so I bought the original West German 1983 edition. I can confirm that this CD does have the original "guitar solo" version of Matte Kudasai.

Cheers,
    Paul

g.z. likes this.
  10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I was there too....same reaction!amazing show!!!

11. Escalon

Escalon Well-Known Member

Picking up on what Stefano said, it seems that first/early UK, US and European pressings of this lp have all but disappeared from UK and European second-hand record shops (whereas Beat and Pair are fairly common), and they are also hard to find even at large record fairs. And the price has gone way up in the last two years. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I have noticed this. Discipline used to be a title you could get for around $10 a few years ago and now its pushing $20 or higher. Not sure why.

Anyone know if the 200g is any good? Its hit a low of $15 on Amazon and was thinking about getting it.

Escalon likes this.
  13. curbach

King Crimson's Discipline 200gr Vinyl Coming Out in June

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Id prefer the UK but it seems like a good second best press.

latheofheaven likes this.
  16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah I have an eg US pressing that can probably be bettered by this reissue so for $15 May as well pick it up and keep an eye out for a UK import. Thanks!

Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.