Listening to my music collection alphabetically (ongoing)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jmac1979, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the past 10 or so days I've been slowly moving through my music collection alphabetically by song by putting them all in a playlist (along with other songs, but everything I physically own is part of this collection too). I figured this would be a fun place to make a thread about it and also get discussion from others by the songs in question. Definitely something that's going to take a long time to get through but it'll be worth the ride if others are interested in partaking. There's a disproportionately high number of stuff from my all time faves like Bowie, Prince, Beatles and the sort, but it's a pretty diverse playlist. (For stuff added here on out, anything alphabetically that's not been covered will be added to a second playlist to go to afterwards)

Starting things off, but not the first track I've listened to is the 2018 mix of "87 And Cry" by David Bowie. Four different versions are on the playlist because I have the Loving The Alien box set that has the 2018 remix, the original, the live and the vinyl album edit from 1987. But first the 2018 mix.

'87 And Cry - 2018

I like this better than the original, definitely gives the song more of an edge

AKA and richierichie like this.
  2. Jmac1979

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

‘87 is your first alphabetically? I just checked on my Amazon Music playlist (which isn't even my real music library) and I have about 400 songs before that ... which explains why I would never try writing a thread like this. Good luck with it but I'm pessimistic about your getting out of the As.

4. Jmac1979

no... I decided to pick up where I'm concurrently at. I've had a bit before '87 alphabetically but didn't feel like going back from scratch and picking up there before we get into the actual alphabet

I plan to go at a sluggish pace to not burn myself out, like maybe one song every hour or two when I'm working or something. No more than 5-10 a day max

5. Jmac1979

6. Jmac1979

Next is a cute though disposable track from Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" record complete with Pee-Wee Herman cameo at the end

7. Jmac1979

Strangely comes before the Bowie song in the playlist because of the "2015 remaster" name in the title. But almost fitting because I actually heard this version way earlier because I owned Private Dancer as a kid but didn't discover Bowie's original until the late 90s

I actually was in love with this song when I was little and kept rewinding the tape over and over again, especially the "Come see, come see, remember me" part.

1984 - 2015 Remaster

8. Jmac1979

9. Jmac1979

10. Jmac1979

11. Jmac1979

Classic. "Edit" while the album version is forthcoming (yes, I'm going all in and listening to single versions if I have them alongside the album versions, plus remixes, live etc... if owned)

1999 - Edit

12. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I've been listening to every track on my iPod in alphabetical order on my commutes to and from work for nearly two years now (started in May 2017).

One reason I'm doing it is to identify those tracks that inexplicably stop part-way through so I can reload them.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm nearly at the end of the 'L's (there were loads of 'L's). Last played: Luka [live]: Suzanne Vega. Next up: five different songs called 'Lullaby' (Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks, Lesley Duncan, Robin Holcomb, Max Richter, and the Cure).

Jmac1979 likes this.
  13. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Well, that's an interesting idea for sure, but it would make me listen for example to Slayer "Angel od Death" just before U2 "Angel of Harlem" or Death "Voice of the Soul" rightly after Avishai Cohen "Voice" and I'm not sure it would be that good for my mental health...

Jmac1979 likes this.
  14. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Dude, get a blog

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I’m pretty reliant on iTunes since I have four of the classic 160gb pods and I hate that when I come across a track that cuts off for no reason. What’s up with that??!! It’s frustrating.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I was expecting the first post to say, "I'm up to A Aaron Aardvark"

I expect you to create at least 237,000 threads by the end of this if you're going song-by-song

AveryKG likes this.
  17. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I don't know what causes it, but it only seems to be with tracks I ripped using old versions of iTunes on an old computer. It's easily fixed though: just delete the track and reload it, which I usually do by sending it to the trash, and then just dragging it out of there into the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder. This works 99% of the time. Oh, and then use one of Doug's iTunes scripts to restore the playcount (these things are important ;)).

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  18. Jmac1979

Thanks for the replies guys. I know this thread probably should be moved to the Long And Winding Threads and I won't be opposed to it (although I have seen people posting threads counting down their favorite artists or whatever in this one)

I actually am someone who gets off at the culture shock of having Metallica and Anita Baker coming right after another, but then again I never said I was right in the head, did I? lol

Starting today is the full length album version of the last song from yesterday. I personally can do either version on my mood (as opposed to a song like When Doves Cry which IMO is an abomination as a single edit)

19. Jmac1979

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.