Listening To Psychedelic Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leonthepro, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Very nice stuff. Not too expensive either. Ill be on the look out.
    Are you by any chance into Philip Glass as well?
    If not, this struck me as similar right away:

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Yes love him. Similar for sure!

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

To say this is a rarity would be an understatement... check out "We Don't Exist" but the whole album is worth hearing. Not overtly psychedelic (aside from We Don't Exist), but worth hearing.

4. Leonthepro

Didnt know about, will give a listen!

5. This was Henry Flynt's, a denizen of NYC 60s avant-garde garde scene, response to Terry Riley's In C?

AN electrified barn burning raga recorded sometime in the late 70s, early 80s.

Henry Flynt: C Tune

Mugrug12 likes this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. I got The American Metaphysical Circus album first. Then eventually went back and got The United States of America album.

Waiting to die.....waiting to die....waiting to die.....

7. Leonthepro

For the Seventheneth time...

rockclassics likes this.
  8. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Man if you have not heard Country Joe & Fish / EMFTMAB you have not heard Psychedelic music...quote unquote from Country Joe himself...

Country Joe remains one of my fav artists during the 1960s & still today in my top 10

Note : The Rag Baby EP is not to be overlooked nor the 2LP Life & Times comp from 1971

9. Leonthepro

Listened to it earlier today actually. Glad to have heard psych finally ;^)
    Its really all over the place isnt it. Ill have to give it another go when Im not at work.

samthesham likes this.
  10. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

This thread seems to be dealing in more obscure albums but I love good old psychedelic music from the 60s.

For those of you who enjoy the sound of wailing, squealing, time and mind bending guitar:

Big Brother Live at Winterland '68
    Quicksilver Messenger Service Live at the Fillmore June, 7 1968

Some other favorites:

Traffic Heaven Is In Your Mind
    Spirit S/T
    Jimi Hendrix, of course

When reality is slipping away and you're not so sure where you're heading, there is nothing like some gentle reassurance from the Moody Blues. Any from "On the Threshold of a Dream" through "Question of Balance" with "To Our Children's..." being particularly soothing.

11. Leonthepro

I suppose youre right, but its mostly because I was alone while this thread resided on L&W Threads and Im always looking for new albums to play ;^)
    But there will no doubt be more classics posted and you are helping with that.

12. samthesham

The I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fix in-To-Die LP from late 1967 is more subdued but almost as good...

Also the Country Joe & Friends / Live @ Fillmore West 1969 is excellent...

Finally the DVD Country Joe Band / Turned Up & Turned On is a 2004 club performance of the orig Fish sans guitarist Barry Melton that while not great is still a worthy addition to your Psychedelic collection...

Happy hunting & listening

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. samthesham

14. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

RIP barry friedman nee frazier mohawk. he was a wonderfully mad man. how he got holzman to pay for this? will never be fully understood lol

15. samthesham

16. Leonthepro

Currently listening to Mecki Mark Mens fourth album, Flying High:

[​IMG]

It seems my breakdown of the first album was quite solid as this later one really emphasizes the funk and soul elements more that I mentioned.
    This is a much more pleasant album as well and doesnt quite have the psych spirit anymore, but why not group in their last one for the sake of it I guess.
    Apparently most of the band had left at that point however so this might also be what lead to the different sound.

17. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I always liked "Days When We Are Free"

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

A great opening for the record, for me the second and third tracks are the favorites however, just so grand.

19. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Terry Riley's Rainbow In Curved Air is even more psychedelic than In C IMO (The group Curved Air got their name from this)
    Check out North Star from Phillip Glass (his 1st album)
    Steve Reich-Music For 18 Musicians is in this style as well. They call this genre minimalism.

Leonthepro likes this.
  20. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

Are those Moody Blues albums you recommend psychedelic? I’ve heard tale that Moody Blues can get out there but any album I’ve ever tried left me questioning whether or not the person who said that had actually ever had a psychedelic experience or not. I don’t recognize the names you’ve listed and I don’t remember the names of what I’ve tried, so maybe I’ve just been trying the wrong stuff.

Edit: This is the album I tried out before, the cover looks psychedelic as all hell but the tracks I listened to didn’t seem to match it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  21. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

They're just not your kind of psychedelic, but many people listened to them while having psychedelic experiences when I was a youngster.

22. Leonthepro

Moody blues are more fine orchestrations or symphonic rock a lot of the time. I have this album above and I wouldnt really call it psych, but it is nice. Lots of people like them and UK originals can be had dirt cheap, at least around here.

I think I might personally prefer Days of Future Passed though:

[​IMG]

Amazing cover too.

mwheelerk and Joy-of-radio like this.
  23. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

Maybe, but I’m YouTube’ing a bit of this one and I’m hearing it more now.

[​IMG]

I’ll have to give it a more complete listen soon when I have a chance.

mwheelerk and Leonthepro like this.
  24. Leonthepro

Gave this one a listen just now. Almost like a trippier version of the band Love. Heavy stuff.

25. Leonthepro

Just listened to Montreal - A Summers Night:

[​IMG]

Really great female vocal folk psych, this sort of flew under my radar back when I saw it on Discogs. Couldnt find any clips to play online so just wrote it off for the moment. But Ill be damned if this isnt near the top of my hunting list now. Would love an original Canadian copy, but again I might have to settle for a US like with Mashmakhan as they seem more common, not just here but online as well.
    Currently theres 4 Canadian psych originals Im looking for, this, Mashmakhan, Guillotine which I will feature here someday for sure and Morse Code Transmission. Why do you Canadians have to be such shut ins ;^)