Listening to the Best System in the World

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jtw, Sep 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't understand.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The question makes no sense. It asks:
    Would I prefer a YouTube (whatever digital resolution that is, beyond MP3) recording to playing a good copy (LP?) of the recording on my own system? The latter, for obvious reasons.
    If a recording was shipped to me on tape (you didn't mention what format, are we assuming 15 ips 1/2 track 1/4" EQ at what), assuming I had a tape machine that could play it back, sure I'd listen to it. If it is simply a needle drop of a record, why would I bother?
    You've obviously got a question lurking and assume that your home system is far from optimal (maybe that is something you can deal with, without spending a lot of money), but I'm not sure where you want to take this.

jusbe likes this.
  3. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know it's a little bit hard to understand and follow. But some believe that they can listen to expensive speakers by putting microphones in front of those speakers, and then playing that signal through their system. It sounds nutty to me, but what do I know.

In a similar way, there are people who believe that they are listening to their home speakers when they are wearing hearing aids. I think its obvious that, although the input to the hearing aids will change depending on the characteristics of your system, for the most part, you will be listening to the equalizer, amp, and speaker in the hearing aid.

There are many on hearing aid threads that dispute this. And threads with "hearing aids" in the title get very limited traffic. So, bottom line is, if you have hearing problems that are bad enough that you require hearing aids, and you think you can listen to your expensive gear when you are wearing them, you're kidding yourself. You'd be much better off with a nice headphone amp, eq, and nice headphones or iems. Correct?

timind likes this.
  4. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

All, to have a more informed opinion just produce a YouTube video of your system in action and play it from your system, your TV, computer, and phone. You will get a sense of similarities and the value of YouTube sound demonstrations.

5. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Man, my Sept 27, 2021 post upthread was a little harsh. Sorry.
    I'm closing in on 70 years old- I don't have the high frequency hearing that I once did, due to age, not disease or other impairment, but I hear much in the midrange, which is where most of the action is.
    And streaming from a YT video doesn't really give me enough.
    I guess that's a more polite way to tell you what I think, @jtw.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Do you mean pointing the Leica to the Iphone screen? Yes I think that improves the picture a lot:magoo:

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Not ever going to listen to anything I cannot afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.