Transcultural Music Traditions & Conversation *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson Witch, Mar 22, 2020.

1. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Bucovina Club & Taraf de Haïdouks - Carolina

Crimson Witch and LoveYourLife like this.
  2. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Hanuman Care Kit - Aural Exciter

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Gatanga Boys Band - Keep Change Kairitu

panasoffkee and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Bokake Lokassa Tabou National - Makele Nawe Part 1

5. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Orchestra Lipua - Lipua - Kamale Parts 1 & 2

6. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Franco & la T.P.O.K. Jazz with Michèl Boyibanda - Nzete Esololaka Na Moto Te (studio version)

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door Thread Starter

Another beauty from Andean Folk masters Quilapayún from Chile, in a captured 1974 performance of Porque los Pobres no Tienen.
    [​IMG]

barryalan likes this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A traditional Russian lullaby.

9. Crimson Witch

Turf Guitar !
    :p

barryalan and -Sphinx- like this.
  10. Crimson Witch

:wtf: **** me

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Naked are an interesting world-fusion band from Belgrade, Serbia.

Crimson Witch and barryalan like this.
  12. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

олег костров (Oleg Kostrow) - Сорока в Босоножках

Russian whatchamacallit music

Crimson Witch and Svetonio like this.
  13. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Good music I just wanted to acknowledge that. Back in my college days both they and fellow Chilean compatriots Inti-Illamini played in Eugene a few months apart and I did manage to see Inti-Illimani, this was around 1980 when they were still in exile. Very beautiful music.

14. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Easter Island is a part of Chile and I found this short instrumental guitar piece and video by Luz Calor Som that is quite lovely

15. Crimson Witch

That reminded me of 'Pushin' Too Hard' by the Seeds, specifically Jan Savage's guitar figure that is prominent in the lead.
    :)

16. Crimson Witch

Los Jaivas (Chile, 1981)
    Alturas de Macchu Picchu LP

I own the 1989 CD reissue
    (CBS label ‎– CD-80085)
    Barcode: 03762800852

[​IMG]

17. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Here is Bolivian Andean Quechua group Los Masis performing the song "Nanitay"at the 2013 Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Svetonio and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Another song by Bolivian group Los Masis, this one is titled "Compañera"

I really don't know much about this music but it is fun to learn.

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

From «Time of the Gypsies» the soundtrack by Goran Bregović (1988) (the film by Emir Kusturica).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  21. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Los Destellos - Guajira Sicodelico

"In 1968 Enrique Delgado, leader of Los Destellos, launched an original musical proposition that combined tropical music, rock and touches from other genres, which he arranged by drawing on his extensive experience accompanying stars of Andean and coastal music from Peru. He was determined to find his own style and created an earthy vibe that people still love dancing to today. Delgado was a precocious musician from Lima, passionate about waltzes, polkas and marineras from Creole music from an early age, founding Los Destellos in 1966 for purely commercial reasons, aiming to liven up exclusive social gatherings with a wide repertoire of danceable music...

In mid-1967 he revamped the band to embark on the task of creating a new style that would be a hit with dance fans and guarantee economic success, influenced by the visit of Hugo Blanco to different cities across Peru, playing cumbias and other tropical rhythms using the harp as a solo instrument. Rock was another ingredient that this Beatles fan added to the mix; his goal was to find a formula through which he could integrate the different musical genres from Peru, ranging from Creole music from the Pacific coast to the exotic dances from the Amazon, thereby acknowledging Peruvian cultural diversity." (from Forced Exposure)

More can be heard here - Los Destellos - Sicodélicos (Full Album / Álbum completo)

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Gypsy trumpet music, footage taken during live performances at Guca world music festival, Serbia, 2009.

Crimson Witch and barryalan like this.
  23. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

A delve into the world of Peruvian chicha

(from wiki) Chicha or Peruvian cumbia is a subgenre of Cumbia that became popular in the coastal cities of Peru, mainly in Lima in the 1960s through the fusion of local versions of the original Colombian genre, traditional highland huayno, and rock music, particularly surf rock and psychedelic rock. The term Chicha is more frequently used for the pre-1990s variations of the subgenre.

Unlike other styles of cumbia, the Chicha subgenre's harmonics are based on the pentatonic scale typical of Andean music. It is played with keyboards or synthesizers and up to three electric guitars that can play simultaneous melodies, an element derived from the harp and guitar lines of Andean huayno. The rhythmic electric guitar in chicha is played with upstrokes, following patterns derived from Peruvian coastal creole waltz. Chicha songs contain electric guitar solos, following the rock music tradition.

panasoffkee and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Looks like fun! Remember when there used to be crowds? I love the horns, not much American music uses horns anymore. Or other things like harmonies, melody...but I digress.

Perhaps you might be interested in a record I found many years ago in a thrift store by Gypsy Esma "Songs of a Balkan Gypsy" It wasn't until much later that I learned she had recorded hundreds of songs and was known as the "Queen of the Gypsies" I believe this is her first record, circa 1965.
    [​IMG]
    It was my introduction to Balkan music and I've loved its many variations over the years. Unfortunately it doesn't seem very popular in these parts, I thought someone would at least react or respond to the phenomenal Ivo Papasov posted earlier. Oh well...anyways I found what I believe is the same music from the album above only it has been reissued as "Songs of A Macedonian Gypsy". RIP Esma, she passed away in Skopje in 2016.

25. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Usti Usti Baba

After posting examples from the Andes and the Balkans, perhaps they could be combined in a modern style? This is another mashup song from the Electric Gypsyland Volume 1 compilation (like the Carolina song above) this by Uwe Schmidt and the Kocani Orkestar