Transcultural Music Traditions & Conversation *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson Witch, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The legendary jazz-rock band Leb i Sol plays a traditional music from Northern Macedonia (live 1978) :

gkella and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Serbian traditional music.

Fastnbulbous and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door Thread Starter

I am often surprised and at somewhat of a loss to [understand] why so many of the artists I like across a range of genres from traditional folk to jazz to rock hail from Serbia. I do have Romanian blood in my ancestry, a neighbouring nation, and perhaps that could have some bearing on my preferences and interest in music and culture of the region, but that alone cannot explain why I find something deeply and inexplicably magnetic about so much of the music from artists native to that country. Perhaps my ancestors were immigrants to Romania from Serbia and tthere really is something to the genetic inheritance theory. (?)
    Well I love music from all over the globe, and if we go back far enough in history, all our ancestors stem from the cradle of human evolution.

In any event, the history of Serbia is a long and fascinating one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    RayMusicLover and Svetonio like this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Actually, modern DNA-analysis revealed that Romanians and Serbs both are originated from the same ancestors who were living in Neolithic settlement from Danube basin. It further means that "Slavic migrations to South-East Europe" is a fairy-tale from 19th century, i.e. that the Slavic's native land is not Dnieper but the Danube basin.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. Crimson Witch

soundboy and Svetonio like this.
  6. Crimson Witch

Fascinating! And perhaps not all that surprising, either. I am endlessly amazed by the ways in which DNA analysis has changed our understanding of some important aspects of anthropology and evolution.

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Yeah the landscape of DNA haplogroups is unmistakable.

8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

R.M. Točak plays a traditional music from Northern Macedonia (live 2012)

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Smak (feat. R.M. Točak) plays a traditional music from Serbia (live 2000)

10. Crimson Witch

Serbian Rock

Partibrejkers II (1988) full lp
    Jugodisk ‎label– LPD-0437
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Svetonio likes this.
  11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Serbian band Ortodox Celts plays a Celtic music (live 2015)

panasoffkee and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Ravi Shankar would have been 100 years old earlier this month... I listened to most of this today while reading/reflecting...
    Have you heard the soundtrack to the 1960s movie "Charly"? Even though Cliff Robertson won best actor Oscar, the movie has dated rather poorly in places like a lot of films from the psychedelic 60s. However the soundtrack remains a classic, the music is written and performed by Ravi Shankar with a band of jazz all-stars like Bud Shank, Tom Scott, Ray Brown, Milt Holland, Laurindo Almeida, Bill Plummer, to mention a few. It seems to be still fairly easy to find on lp, I found a copy in NM shape in a discount bin...Here is the first track off side 2

Crimson Witch, Svetonio and jwoverho like this.
  13. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Some raga rock..."Sitar Power" with Ashwin Batish. I know of two albums from the late 80s, "Sitar Power" 1 & 2, he is still around playing with his family members part of the band. I'll see if I can find a good live clip.

Crimson Witch and Svetonio like this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A traditional Jewish song played by Serbian world-music band Hazari (from Svetlucanje kroz san CD, 2008).

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Serbian world-music band Hazari plays a Dalmatian traditional music (live 2006)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Loreena Mckennitt The Gates Of Istanbul (from An Ancient Muse CD, 2006)

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Loreena Mckennitt sings her song The Bonny Swans that is based on traditional Northumbrian murder ballad "The Twa Sisters" (from Nights from Alhambra DVD, 2007)

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Darnakes is a Greek folk-rock band and this is their song Elenaki that is based on traditional Greek music (from Libra the album, 2010)

All three excellent albums by Darnakes you can find for free download on Bandcamp.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  19. Crimson Witch

Cem Karaca
    "Deniz Üstü Köpürür"

20. Crimson Witch

Erkin Koray - Anlamadım (1985)

21. Crimson Witch

Erkin Koray - Çok Derinlerde (1990)

22. Crimson Witch

Erkin Koray
    "Hayat Katarı"

23. Crimson Witch

Erkin Koray
    "Çöpçüler"

Svetonio likes this.
  24. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

The last couple of years I have been into music that comes from Africa like Anouar Brahem, Tinariwen, Fela Kuti, Nigeria 70 Funky Lagos, and a few Rough Guide comps, however my favorite is Orchestra Baobab. I received Pirates Choice as a gift around 2000-01 and his grown into a desert island disc. Love all four completely.

[​IMG]

25. Crimson Witch

Edip Akbayram [Turkey]
    "Hasretinle Yandı Gönlüm"
    from the lp
    'Unutamadıklarım'
    (1992, Destan Müzik Üretim ‎label MŞ.088 )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Svetonio likes this.