Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Little Bear T11

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by orange5o, Apr 3, 2017.

1. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Tubes 1 and 2 seem to make the most difference in sound when swapping different tubes. I cant remember but I think the 3rd tube is used as a buffer where the first 2 deal with the sound. I dont remember any noticable changed when I was swapping out tubes. For a clone of the Ear 834p the t11 isnt half bad with the right tubes. It all comes down to what sounds best in your system.

2. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Ok great. I have new production 12ax7 JJ's in slot 1 and 2 and a russian 6n2 in slot 3. I had the russian 6n2's in all but felt it was lacking smoothness and bass. The JJ's totally fixed that for me. Very happy now although I know there are much better alternatives.

gmcjj likes this.
  3. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

How's the hum on this unit?
    I have an old T10 which has been on the bench for a while since it had too much hum for my liking.

4. iSax77

iSax77 Active Member

Hi! Recently I've also got a T11. It sounds quite nice, but seems to have a bit too strong low frequencies. Currently I'm using it with Yamaha RX-V795 and have noticed that if I increase gain of the T11 and decrease Yamaha's one to keep the total one at the same level, it gives stronger bass and weaker trebles and vise a versa.
    Has someone observed anything similar?
    Is there any explanation for this effect?

Johnny Ryall likes this.
  5. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I too have the T11 and am wondering what is best as far as setting the adjustable volume on it. Is it better for your amp to keep the T11 volume it as low as possible or as high? I had been running it wide open which just meant i didn't have to open the volume on my amp as high. I can't seem to tell an audible difference no matter which way i do it but i suspect there has to be a "best practice".

6. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Thats a good question. I've been keeping the dial on mine around 2 o clock and adjust the volume on my amp.

imsjry likes this.
  7. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I recently purchased a T11 and am using it in the 12ax7 mode. I already had some Electro Harmonix gold pin 12ax7's so I installed those instead of the stock Chinese 6N2 tubes that came with the amp.

The T11 is going into a Musical Paradise MP-301 MK 3 tube amp powering a pair of Klipsch RB-81 Reference II speakers using an Audio Technica LP7 turntable with Ortofon OM30 cartridge as the analog source. I keep the gain setting on the T11 at 2 o'clock for the most part.

In the future I might swap the EH 12ax7's for a trio of either Tungsol or Gold Lions. This is a sweet sounding system used in my bedroom/office. It sure performs beyond it's price point. It's a keeper!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    gmcjj and imsjry like this.
  8. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

As much as enjoyed the Little Bear T11, I got upgrade fever so mine might be hitting the sale forum soon. I already have a tube integrated amp, and having the tube phone pre just added more brightness to my already very bright system (Chorus II speakers). The soundstage and dynamics on this thing is really amazing. I’m not a major fan of the midrange but that might just be the tubes I’m using.

9. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

After much time of being quiet on this forum, I'm finally back and going to dig up this old thread since mine is even older. Has anyone upgraded from the T10 to the T11 and do you have results?

I finally dusted off my T10, bought a headphone amp and am now listening on phones rather than speakers. I replaced the Chinese tubes with Raytheons before I put the amp away, which I did enjoy those tubes but on some music they had a very tinny/metallic sound on the highs. I have just swapped them for a brand new set of Telefunken 12AX7s and am much much happier, but I'm curious if swapping amps entirely would be beneficial. I don't have the dreaded hum on my T10 after shortening my power wires, so again,just curious if anyone has word on the T10 vs T11, if it's worth the upgrade or not.

Thanks a bunch, glad to be back to posting in here!