Little Bear T11

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by orange5o, Apr 3, 2017.

1. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Tubes 1 and 2 seem to make the most difference in sound when swapping different tubes. I cant remember but I think the 3rd tube is used as a buffer where the first 2 deal with the sound. I dont remember any noticable changed when I was swapping out tubes. For a clone of the Ear 834p the t11 isnt half bad with the right tubes. It all comes down to what sounds best in your system.

2. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Ok great. I have new production 12ax7 JJ's in slot 1 and 2 and a russian 6n2 in slot 3. I had the russian 6n2's in all but felt it was lacking smoothness and bass. The JJ's totally fixed that for me. Very happy now although I know there are much better alternatives.

gmcjj likes this.
  3. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

How's the hum on this unit?
    I have an old T10 which has been on the bench for a while since it had too much hum for my liking.

4. iSax77

iSax77 Active Member

Hi! Recently I've also got a T11. It sounds quite nice, but seems to have a bit too strong low frequencies. Currently I'm using it with Yamaha RX-V795 and have noticed that if I increase gain of the T11 and decrease Yamaha's one to keep the total one at the same level, it gives stronger bass and weaker trebles and vise a versa.
    Has someone observed anything similar?
    Is there any explanation for this effect?

Johnny Ryall likes this.
  5. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I too have the T11 and am wondering what is best as far as setting the adjustable volume on it. Is it better for your amp to keep the T11 volume it as low as possible or as high? I had been running it wide open which just meant i didn't have to open the volume on my amp as high. I can't seem to tell an audible difference no matter which way i do it but i suspect there has to be a "best practice".

6. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Thats a good question. I've been keeping the dial on mine around 2 o clock and adjust the volume on my amp.

imsjry likes this.
  7. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I recently purchased a T11 and am using it in the 12ax7 mode. I already had some Electro Harmonix gold pin 12ax7's so I installed those instead of the stock Chinese 6N2 tubes that came with the amp.

The T11 is going into a Musical Paradise MP-301 MK 3 tube amp powering a pair of Klipsch RB-81 Reference II speakers using an Audio Technica LP7 turntable with Ortofon OM30 cartridge as the analog source. I keep the gain setting on the T11 at 2 o'clock for the most part.

In the future I might swap the EH 12ax7's for a trio of either Tungsol or Gold Lions. This is a sweet sounding system used in my bedroom/office. It sure performs beyond it's price point. It's a keeper!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    gmcjj and imsjry like this.
  8. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

As much as enjoyed the Little Bear T11, I got upgrade fever so mine might be hitting the sale forum soon. I already have a tube integrated amp, and having the tube phone pre just added more brightness to my already very bright system (Chorus II speakers). The soundstage and dynamics on this thing is really amazing. I’m not a major fan of the midrange but that might just be the tubes I’m using.

9. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

After much time of being quiet on this forum, I'm finally back and going to dig up this old thread since mine is even older. Has anyone upgraded from the T10 to the T11 and do you have results?

I finally dusted off my T10, bought a headphone amp and am now listening on phones rather than speakers. I replaced the Chinese tubes with Raytheons before I put the amp away, which I did enjoy those tubes but on some music they had a very tinny/metallic sound on the highs. I have just swapped them for a brand new set of Telefunken 12AX7s and am much much happier, but I'm curious if swapping amps entirely would be beneficial. I don't have the dreaded hum on my T10 after shortening my power wires, so again,just curious if anyone has word on the T10 vs T11, if it's worth the upgrade or not.

Thanks a bunch, glad to be back to posting in here!

10. Pedro Bracho

Pedro Bracho New Member

Hi. I have the little bear T11 here at Panamá, hooked up with an audio technica AT-LP120XUSB, and from the T11 i have two presonus eris e8 XT. I have mixed feelings about this. Let me explain.
    When recently installed the preamp I noticed an important volume reduction, compared with the built in preamp of the turntable.
    That forced me to raise the volume knob higher than usual, making the hum noise even more noticeable.
    Las night I was making some test in the system, trying to reduce the hum sound and I unplugged the output rca cables and cranked the volume to see if something happened, and I think that that may have broken something inside :(
    I opened the little bear, trying to see something weird inside, but I guess nothing looked suspicious. I share some pics and maybe you can spot 9something.
    Thanks for your help
    [​IMG]

11. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

If your not running the metal cover over V1 (the tube by the input) you might get some hum. I have to have the metal cover on my T11 to eliminate any hum. There should be no moving parts inside the unit, just a power board and the main board. The gain on mine is at about 1 o clock and with the shield over V1 I get zero hum.
    [​IMG]

12. Pedro Bracho

Pedro Bracho New Member

Hey thanks! Good to know

13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Well, I've had my system setup this way for quite a while (detailed in equipment profile) The sound is pretty decent and fairly well matched (very clinical classic line contact cartridge + a warmer TT + tall multi-driver line arrays which add warmth and dimension) I have 2 really old, matched sort of 'Classic' but not expensive Sherwood discreet receivers where I'm running them dual-mono with the Cardas tonearm wire going into each receiver for fuller channel separation. The phono stages of these particular units at the time were known to be pretty good and they do sound really detailed and there is excellent separation. BUT... of course with all this talk (and lots of other reading I probably shouldn't do o_O) I'm getting a 'hankering' of trying out what I feel would be the simplest and also least expensive experiment, getting an all tube phono section like this one where surprisingly it is indeed 'all tube' and yet is about $200. That way I'm just really replacing the phono sections of both receivers, and that WOULD be adding a genuine tube stage very close to the 'source', and then running the rest of it like I have, still with the fully separated dual-mono preamps/amps running each side of the line-array open dipole towers for the upper end frequencies (and with the line out still going to my Crown @400/side running the 15" open dipole woofers)

Soooo, what I'm trying to say here in this tediously long-winded way is that, basically, SHOULD I SCREW WITH WHAT I ALREADY HAVE AND TRY THIS...? :D

One thing that I learned that was encouraging about trying any other tube components, particularly amps, is that with multi-driver line arrays, you actually get MORE sensitivity the more drivers that are pushing air at the same time! I was worried that maybe if I wanted at some time to try an affordable low wattage tube amp, would it drive these towers, and very surprisingly in reading I found others who have actual commercial line arrays, similar to mine being powered by very small 10 watt tube amps and doing just fine. And, with the Crown doing the heavy low frequency lifting, I guess that SHOULD work...

But, anyway... sorry to diverge here... getting back to this simple tube phono section experiment, based upon knowing about my existing system (that I tediously detailed above) I would sincerely appreciate any observations, thoughts, input, etc., that might help me learn more about what is involved here.

Thanks kindly! :tiphat:

14. Greg T

Greg T Well-Known Member

Hi, can someone tell me approximately how high the T11 is, including tubes?

Many thanks

15. latheofheaven

Looks to be just shy of 5"...

16. latheofheaven

Well, I tried some new Tung-Sol 12AX7's (3) that I got at Upscale Audio. Like all their tubes they were tested, burned in some, and matched. They were pretty reasonable. But, after burning them in another 40 hours or so I gave them a critical listen the other day and for my system they just seemed a tad too mellow. I've heard others who have praised these exact same tubes in their system, but they were not a good match for mine, probably because mine overall is more laid-back. I bought them shipped for about $80 and I'm currently selling them here for $60.

So, I put the original Chinese 6n2's back in and WOW! that really sounded a lot better in my system. Tonally much more compatible. I was also reading some good things about these, so I snagged some to give them a try down the road: NOS NIB Matched Quintet 5 Voskhod Rocket 6N2P-EV SILVER SHIELD Vacuum Tubes. They were actually even less than the 12AX7's were and they are literally new in unopened boxes. So, that will be interesting to hear how they compare. But, for now, I am quite happy with the stock Chinese 6n2's.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Have you tried any Gold Lion 12ax7?
    They are more expensive but from all the new production 12ax7 that I tried on the T11 (Sovtek, Tung-Sol, JJ) these sounded the best in my system.

Barbybar and latheofheaven like this.
  18. latheofheaven

Thank you kindly for the suggestion! Yes, I have heard positive things about the Gold Lions, might be worth a try...

***EDIT

HOLY SMOKES
    man! I just looked at your equipment profile. I think that you could probably use a few more cartridges and a few more pairs of speakers :eek:

5-String likes this.
  19. latheofheaven

Well, I just added a used Ayon Orion II to replace the ancient dual mono Sherwoods. I just happened to stumble across a really nice fellow who was selling it. WOW! what a difference (DUH! :)) So, I've been running my IFI Phono 2 phono amp since I set up the Ayon and it sounds amazing (they've since discontinued the IFI Phono 2 - I was fortunate to find a new one. The replacement IFI Phono 3 is DOUBLE the price @ $1000!) But, today was the first day I connected the LittleBear to the Ayon. WOW again! That li'l sucker also sounded great! I was thinking that adding an all tube phono amp in with a Class 'A' tube amp might be too much, but so far I am quite impressed with the sound.

I have NO bloody idea which one I would prefer. I'm GUESSING that the IFI likely will sound more refined, but so far I'm really liking the LittleBear with the Ayon. It still has the stock Chinese tubes which I've always felt so far sounded really good. But, maybe now with the Ayon I should try both the Tung-Sol's and the Voskhod Rockets, IDK... With my old Sherwoods the Tung-Sol's sounded a tad mellow, but since the Ayon is blasting out a hell of a LOT more quality sound now, perhaps trying some of those tubes might be a good match. I guess I'll find out when I try them... :)

Here are some updated pictures of the Ayon in my system if anyone is bored enough and has absolutely NOTHING better to do :D You can see the pictures of my full Soundroom, system, and collection in the link listed at the bottom of my posts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TAs4bmFLeXJtz9bc7

20. mmc227

mmc227 New Member

You guys seem to have some experience rolling tubes with T11. I'm thinking about buying T11. I already have 2 matching 1967 Orange o_getters I was using in a headphone amp I no longer own. But I was hoping I could just roll 2 tubes instead of having to source a 3rd matching 67 tube if I buy a T11. gmcjj said only would have to roll tube 1 and 2. Where are tubes are 1 and 2 located on the board? How essential is rolling all 3 tubes with the T11?

21. latheofheaven

Actually, following these guys' advice, as I THINK I mentioned further back in this thread, I switched out the 3 tubes for Soviet Voskhod tubes which were very affordable and it did improve the overall sound quite a bit. And then, someone said they switched out their Number 1 tube for a JJ, so I tried that, replacing just the Number 1 Voskhod tube with the JJ, and that also gave me more presence and clarity. I believe the tubes are numbered left to right.

22. Barbybar

Barbybar Active Member

For anyone fighting the hum on the Little Bear T11, I was able to completely eliminate the hum from mine by moving all the power circuits out of the unit.

1. Unscrewed the transformer and moved it outside of the enclosure.
    2. Unscrew the AC receptacle and move it outside of the enclosure.
    3. Unscrew ON/OFF button from front of the enclosure and move it outside of the enclosure.
    4. The power wires (200v, 6.3v, 15v) can be connected with wires running through the hole from the AC receptacle.

Prior to doing this, I constantly had a 50hz hum.
    Eventually, a new external enclosure will house the transformer and AC receptacle and hopefully I can find a nice 8 wire plug to run the 200v, 6.3v, 15v, ground across to the T11.

I suspect, MAYBE just moving the ON/OFF switch outside the unit will fix the hum issue. Logically, with the ON/OFF switch in the front, there is AC power going from the receptacle all the way across the circuit board and then returning all the way back to the rear. I think that MIGHT be the main culprit, but I am unable to verify this for the next few weeks.

Hope this helps anyone using the T11.

latheofheaven and Johnny Ryall like this.