Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It was TV show...a wholesome TV show based on real life ...something we will never see again. We love it and will not trash it. I don't pick it apart I just enjoy the ride and such a great ride on Blu-ray.

Ms. Daisy, jason88cubs, 905 and 2 others like this.
  2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

yes, that sure must have been jolting and terribly sad!

4. Michael

WE now need the Walton's on Blu-Ray!

5. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Young children could only work limited hours on a set.
    Alison Arngrim was the one who famously broke her arm riding her skateboard so the production had to put a period-correct cast around her modern cast to shoot the episode "Bunny". In Arngrim's fabulous book she said that when Landon saw her broken arm, he was furious and reminded her very directly that she was in a television series. She quoted him as saying, "If I ever see you on a skateboard, I'll break your other arm."

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Lindsay and Sydney Greenbush were cast as three-year-olds, so initially their main job was to be part of the background furniture. Of course it’s impossible to predict whether a toddler is going to grow up to be a competent actor, and in their case they did not. So Landon could not give them more to do as they got older, because they didn’t have the acting chops. It got to the point that in the final years of the series, they actually added a new adopted daughter who was exactly the same age as Carrie (played by Melissa Francis) and she wound up getting storylines that likely would have gone to Carrie if the Greenbush twins could act.

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

It was Monday Night Football that was airing when it happened, Patriots v. Dolphins. Howard Cosell made the announcement.

MrGrumpy and Scowl like this.
  8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

It’s streaming in HD on Amazon. I know it’s not quite the same. But it’s the best the series has ever looked.

Michael likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They could have gone the sitcom/soap opera route of recasting the role (and having her miraculously age a few years). Maybe he thought it would be jarring to have a new face in the core family, but many other shows have done it (Modern Family being a notable recent example).

10. Michael

the DVDs were not great looking to say the least. I'm sure the HD look much better.

11. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I finally got around to buying the fifth season on Blu-ray. This season is significant because they moved our favorite family from the farm to the "big city" making the show look more like a Western from a decade earlier. This move wasn't popular with viewers and the show dropped out of the top ten after its ratings had peaked the previous season. This was a BFD for NBC because the 1978-1979 television season was a nightmare for NBC: Little House was their only show to be in the top twenty that season. Even their old reliable shows like Quincy M.D., CHiPs and the Rockford Files had all lost viewers.

MrGrumpy, jason88cubs and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

there wasn't a season I didn't love of this great series...

905 and jason88cubs like this.
  13. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

So far I love the big city sets and the details of the buildings are incredible on the Blu-ray. Also it only took two episodes for Pa Ingalls to cry in front of his family again. Come on, men did not do that back then. :rolleyes:

Jack Lord and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

wait a minute! you lived back then? ; )

905 and Scowl like this.
  15. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

:D No, but I do know some things about the proper behavior of American men during the Victorian Era. Stoic Midwestern farmers didn't burst into tears during their daughter's birthday party!

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

I still have to disagree with you. ; )

17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Have you read any novels from the Victorian Era? All the white American men are stoic in front of their families in the ones I've read. They don't dare show weakness since they are the head of the family. Displays of emotions are for women and children.

18. Michael

I gave you my opinion...it's not changing : )

19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I always though the Victorian Era was a British thing, having to do with the reign of Queen Victoria...

While the timeline of the Victorian Era would line up with when "Little House on the Prairie" takes place, "Little House" is set in a totally different country that no longer followed British Rule, so no Queen Victoria for the USA, and therefore, really no "Victorian Era" either...

905 and beccabear67 like this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Why no color blind characters?

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've always thought of it as the post Civil War era in relation to the U.S. (and also family history as I know of one relative involved in that war). In the books Laura mentions Grant as president at least once, another Civil War connection... it might've been where they were celebrating the centennial that he was mentioned (in the books).

22. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I would love to know of any novels from that era that had openly emotional grown men regularly bursting into tears. I haven't read any yet.

23. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

When I took sociology in college, the texts referred to it as the Victorian Era even in America. Yes, the period was different in the two countries.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  24. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Did he burst into tears, bawling like a baby? Or did his eyes well up - and, "Damn, I got something stuck in my eye."

Looking at pictures of my farming ancestors born in the 19th century, I'm not sure any of them cried, especially the gruff looking women.

Tom Perry likes this.
  25. Michael

people cry it's an emotional release...why there is so much denial is weird...just weird...of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. : )

905, Grand_Ennui and SRC like this.