Little Rascals Coming To Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 24, 2020.

1. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I’m not going to throw shade on ClassicFix, who are doing amazing work. But, when Genius Entertainment released the 80 shorts on DVD about ten years ago, something similar happened, in reverse.

They initially released all 80 in one box set (with a few of the silent shorts added as nice extras). When Genius released the shorts again on a series of single discs, they upgraded the quality for some of the shorts because, if I remember correctly, they had located better prints. I don’t think this was an intentional attempt to rip anyone off.

Yes, I bought the box, and then all of the single discs (which, to be fair, were pretty inexpensive) when I learned of the upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    longdist01 and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did the exact same thing...wasted too much MONEY...we'll see.... I am supporting CLASSIC FLIX ;the bluray LR cause...

longdist01 likes this.
  3. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I ordered from Amazon and has not shipped yet

longdist01 likes this.
  4. I have the first two volumes already from Amazon and am waiting for volume three. As a longtime fan this project is a godsend to me.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

There were about 16 or so which somehow were mastered from Blackhawk Films (home movie distributor) prints with completely refilmed title sequences ("Anniversary Trouble" was also very splicy). Every disc except one was affected. Then some time after the box set came out, they issued single disc volumes which all had the original titles. I found them for about $5 each so I picked them up.

My understanding is that as old stock of the earlier DVDs ran out, later copies of the box set had the remastered versions as well. In the original box set, each disc had a different Rascal's picture on it. The remastered versions all have a drawing of Pete The Pup.

Disc 8 was exclusive to the box, and it included three silent shorts plus some documentaries. IIRC at least one of the silent shorts also had Blackhawk titles, and "Barnum & Ringling Inc." had a 1984 Blackhawk Films score instead of the original Victor score. I don't know if the last disc was ever "upgraded."

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

ClassicFlix update
    November 2021
    With production on The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 winding up, we're in full restoration mode on the soon-to-be announced Volume 5 which will include the 55th Our Gang sound short:

"The Lucky Corner" (1936)

Posted below here is a comparison of our raw scan (unrestored) of Corner and the current DVD. The raw scan (without any restoration) is far away superior to the old DVD "restoration" which is:
    • overly cropped
    • from a second (or worse) generation source
    • has many frames missing
    When its restoration is complete, Corner will not only look better than any previous home video version, it will likely look better than when most theatre audiences viewed it 85 years ago.

Enjoy!

- David
    ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Marvin, entropyfan, drgn95 and 2 others like this.
  7. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

"The Lucky Corner" has always been a personal fave of mine. Alfalfa (and his brother) doing "Little Brown Jug" is Hall of Fame worthy for me in itself!

On a sidenote...is there any online retailer that sells the rather unique plastic BD case that CF uses? Ol' thumbs here managed to crack the Vol. 3 case and its hinge while I was taking the shrink off, to the point that I can barely open it now. I'd be interested in purchasing a replacement if they're available for mass consumption anywhere. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

You could probably just ask ClassicFlix customer service or send an email and ask for replacement clear case...at least they have those cases for their products. I haven't found another company match that type yet!

9. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

These have been big improvements over what’s been previously available. However, there are many segments that seem to be excessively grain smoothed (or too much scratch removal?) and the contrast may be pushed a tad too much. Many segments look much better but some have that "waxy" look.

Has anyone read or watched any interviews or articles on the restoration of these?

longdist01 and David R. Modny like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Each Blu-Ray Vol. 1-3 has a short Restoration clip included.

Restoration Comparison clips
    (HD – 4-to-5 minutes in length)
    Also please visit the clips up on the ClassicFlix YouTube channel here:

Have you accessed or reviewed those?

Certainly the film elements going forward in future volumes 4-6 hopefully are in much better condition! At least until a possible "Silent Shorts" ever materializes and those film pieces may not help if and 'When' a future release by Classic Flix could or should get off the ground.

Fingers crossed the funding will be supported and the Best sourced film access ever happens!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  11. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Forum Resident

Thanks to all for supporting these Our Gang releases and talking them up here.

For these Our Gang shorts, we have accessed the best material, and usually tried several film elements on a particular short, before deciding on the best source to use. Those who have seen our restorations can probably tell that we revere Our Gang and have spared no expense making sure we get these shorts looking better than ever (in many cases perhaps better than when they were viewed 90 years ago).

Our motto on these Our Gang shorts is "It's like watching them for the first time." -- and if you've seen them, you know what we mean. No prior release comes close in terms of video quality on these shorts and in many cases the results are breathtaking.

So thanks again and I am glad to be able to be part of the discussion here at SHMF.

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer.

- David

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you so much David for releasing these Restored Our Gang/The Little Rascals Sound Shorts in the best quality to date on both DVD and to Blu-Ray format!
    Thank you also for joining the Steve Hoffman Forums.

Davosco, ClassicFlix and Jazzmonkie like this.
  13. ClassicFlix

The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 streets next month and we've got several more clips lined up to share from the release.

Presented below is a restored clip of the 42nd Our Gang sound short MIKE FRIGHT (1934) which is part of Volume 4 and streets in January.

ENJOY!

- David

14. ClassicFlix

More fun clips from our upcoming The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 which streets next month.

Presented here is a restored clip of the 40th Our Gang sound short THE FIRST ROUND-UP (1934) which has Wally and Stymie as co-leads, but Spanky and Scotty stealing the show.
    Baby Billy Thomas, not yet actually playing the character "Buckwheat", is in his second Our Gang short of his long career.

ENJOY!
    - David

15. ClassicFlix

Another fun clip from our upcoming The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 which streets next month.

Presented here is a restored clip of the 37th Our Gang sound short WILD POSES (1933). A hilarious showcase for Spanky, as is the preceding short BEDTIME WORRIES, Roach was in between leads at this point with Dickie Moore having exited and Wally Albright yet to come on board.

ENJOY!

- David

16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Heh-Heh … that one was BADLY racist, but so was “A Tough Winter”.
    Step’n Fetchit was a comedian whose entire career exploited the stereotype.

Yeah, some of it IS racist, but it doesn’t bother me. Roach goofed on whites
    as well but yeah blacks REALLY get hammered. Don’t get angry, just have
    FUN. Hey – we’ve gotta laugh at ourselves to keep ourselves in check.

DRJOEL65 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  17. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I’m old enough to have seen it before it was yanked.
    But I had to wait over 40 years to see it again.

“Song of the South” was re-released in theatres and
    we caught that in The ‘80s. Good movie marred by
    cringy racist tropes. GOOD LUCK finding that now.

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again David for Volume 4 updates...looks beautiful and can't wait!

Jazzmonkie and ClassicFlix like this.
  19. I've already got the first three volumes of this wonderful series and will order volume four from Amazon when it's available there.:goodie:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

indeed...have the first three...waiting for #4!

21. ClassicFlix

Our last post of the year relating to our upcoming The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 which streets next month.

Presented here is a restored clip of the 41st Our Gang sound short HONKY-DONKEY (1934) in which "rich kid" Wally goes slumming and finds the ideal playmates in Stymie and the Gang—which includes their donkey “Algebra.”

ENJOY!

- David

22. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Thanks for all your efforts! In for one from you direct. Loved the first three.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you David @ClassicFlix for an amazing collection of Our Gang Sound Shorts released so far in 2021!

[​IMG]
    Santa has been good to us all!

24. ClassicFlix

The official street date for The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 is January 18th, but for those who purchased the collection at ClassicFlix.com shipments will be going out a week early (this coming Monday and Tuesday).

To get you ready for some Our Gang fun from KID FROM BORNEO to SHRIMPS FOR A DAY, we've posted a restoration comparison from some of the shorts in the set to demonstrate the original condition of the scanned elements and final restored version.

ENJOY!

- David

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member