Little Rascals Coming To Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 24, 2020.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I am not 100% certain about this, but IIRC that's not even Norman "Chubby" Chaney (though he looks like him) -- IIRC that's Joe Strauss Jr., Spanky's stand-in?

Antifrodis and longdist01 like this.
  2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I think you may be right

longdist01 likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

That kid wouldn't look like Joe Cobb even if you mussed his hair up.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yes, Thank you again David @ClassicFlix !

For all 'Our Gang/Little Rascals' Sound Shorts and upcoming Silent Shorts soon!

ClassicFlix and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

damn! I've been loving them for so long! it was worth the wait all these years.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

According to an Our Gang historian on Facebook, the kid's name was Paul Dominick.

longdist01, Hall Cat and rontoon like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

rontoon likes this.
  9. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Forum Resident

Check out this RESTORATION IN PROGRESS clip we just posted of THE COBBLER (1923), the 8th silent short produced in the Our Gang film series.

Scans on over 60 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have. It's a time-consuming task, but we hope to have the first release (Volume 1) likely late summer/early fall 2023.

The number of shorts for the first volume will be 10. While not in exact chronological order, we will follow a rough chronology presenting the shorts we consider HD worthy: OUR GANG (1922) through BACK STAGE (1923).

PROD#, SHORT

# 1. Our Gang - (In most complete form)
    # 2. Fire Fighters
    # 3. Young Sherlocks (from 16mm Kodascope)
    # 4. One Terrible Day
    # 6. Saturday Morning
    # 7. The Big Show! (from 35mm)
    # 8. The Cobbler (from 35mm)
    # 9. The Champeen! (from 16mm Kodascope)
    # 11. A Pleasant Journey
    # 13. Back Stage

FYI - We have materials on the below shorts, but all are from VERY rough 16mm prints so we won't be including them in the main volumes. They will be made available at some point either on DVD or as a bonus feature on a future BD volume.

# 5. A Quiet Street
    # 10. Boys to Board
    # 12. Giants Vs. Yanks

ENJOY!

- David
    ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again @ClassicFlix for your continued efforts to research and Restore the Our Gang Silent Shorts for HD physical media release! Very much appreciate the efforts!

"FYI - We have materials on the below shorts, but all are from VERY rough 16mm prints so we won't be including them in the main volumes. They will be made available at some point either on DVD or as a bonus feature on a future BD volume.

# 5. A Quiet Street
    # 10. Boys to Board
    # 12. Giants Vs. Yanks

ENJOY!"

11. ClassicFlix

Check out this RAW SCAN clip we just posted of FAST COMPNAY (1924), the 16th silent short produced in the Our Gang film series. From 35mm film, the material is relatively sharp and will look very nice once our restoration is performed. It is slated for our upcoming second volume.

Scans on over 60 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have. It's a time-consuming task, but we hope to have the first release (Volume 1) come out some time in early fall 2023.

>>>We posted the below configuration for Volume 1 in our last update, but we may have located better material for GIANTS VS. YANKS (1923) which will allow it to be bumped up to a BD release. We'll know more once it's scanned in a few weeks. Right now, the below tentative configuration for Volume 1 stands.

---
    The number of shorts for the first volume will be 10. While not in exact chronological order, we will follow a rough chronology presenting the shorts we consider HD worthy: OUR GANG (1922) through BACK STAGE (1923).

PROD#, SHORT

# 2. Fire Fighters
    # 4. One Terrible Day
    # 6. Saturday Morning
    # 11. A Pleasant Journey
    # 13. Back Stage

FYI - We have materials on the below shorts, but all are from VERY rough 16mm prints so we won't be including them in the main volumes. They will be made available at some point either on DVD or as a bonus feature on a future BD volume.

# 5. A Quiet Street
    # 10. Boys to Board
    # 12. Giants Vs. Yanks

---
    ENJOY!
    - David

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you David @ClassicFlix for updates on progress for forthcoming Silent Shorts Vol. 1 and continued search for better elements for Vol. 2!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2023
    ClassicFlix likes this.
  13. Michael

one of my all time Rascals!

longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Please help me identify this episode:

A couple of them are at a bakery and ordering a lot of items, but they have no money. And the owner knows that but indulges them anyway.

Thanks.

15. RayS

“Roamin’ Holiday”

longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Much obliged.

longdist01 and RayS like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

longdist01 likes this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Bud 'Stax' Graves​

ricks, Curveboy, rontoon and 4 others like this.
  20. RayS

Obvious question: How did Yvonne get into the picture? She has one film credit (this short), in which she had the crucial role of “audience member”. I guess they were expecting bigger things down the road.

rontoon and longdist01 like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Looking forward to news this Fall for 1st Volume of 'The Little Rascals'' Restored Silents.

[​IMG]

@ClassicFlix Thank you again David for the Amazing work involved to collect together best to date material for 'The Little Rascals' - The Complete Collection (Vol. 1-6 originally!!) on physical media either DVD or Blu-Ray!

ClassicFlix, rontoon and DavidW like this.
  22. ClassicFlix

Check out this RAW SCAN clip we just posted of DOG HEAVEN (1927), the 70th silent short produced in the Our Gang film series.

Scans on over 60 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for better material for at least half of the 60, plus additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have.

We had hoped for a fall release, but the street date is looking more like a Dec-Feb time frame. We've also had to revise the number of shorts in Volume 1 to 8 instead of the previously mentioned 10. They will be:

PROD#, SHORT
    # 2. Fire Fighters
    # 4. One Terrible Day
    # 6. Saturday Morning
    # 11. A Pleasant Journey

ENJOY!

- David

23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Why were the title cards spliced out of some of these? They flash by after a second or two here.

dan c

longdist01 and ClassicFlix like this.
  24. ClassicFlix

It's all about the money.

Silent film negatives often used "flash titles", one or two frames of intertitles that could be extended during printing or playing of the film as a means of conserving footage in the negative. I imagine it was also used for foreign markets which could translate off a single frame.

- David

Dan C, MCE1965, RayS and 1 other person like this.
  25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Interesting! I never knew that, thanks.

dan c

longdist01 and ClassicFlix like this.