LIttle Richard "LONG TALL SALLY" with or without reverb? What is correct?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Traitor! :laugh: (but no, really, thank you)

starduster likes this.
  2. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I don't think the reverb version is too bad, at least it's a quality analog reverb. First dry version seems more punchy and sits more "forward," which I like. Reverb always makes things seem slightly more distant, which is why I personally don't like it too much on vocals. Vocals should be up front. Reverb sends it 'backwards' in the mix.

3. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Almost completely off-topic, but I was patrolling around and found this rousing version. I think you can say "they were feeling it" that night...!

O Don Piano and bhazen like this.
  4. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

stevenson66g, bluesfan and lukpac like this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Might as well toss in the British issue

john hp and lukpac like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I just listened to the processed "17 Grooviest Original Oldies" and "The Essential Little Richard" 2-LP set and both use the dry version. To its credit, "Essential" also uses the version of "Keep a Knockin'" with the tape drag.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

In the 1980s as some of you know, I helped ACE UK digitize all of the Little Richard session tapes from the 1950s. They did it at Whitney in Glendale and basically I sat with them to hear the great stuff.

In the 1950s, nothing from the original studio was delivered with reverb, no Fats, LR, etc. The echo was all record company added, either in mastering or on redubbed copy tapes. Just saying, it's confusing as my 45 is dry. But, it's a recut from the 1960s (I think)..

Man at C&A, showtaper and JamieC like this.
  8. Jesus. That’s your work on the MoFi SACD? I had no idea. It’s one of finest sounding SACD’s ever released on the format. I won’t say it, okay I will . . . Little Richard is literally in your living room. It’s a 10 on the SQ scale which is quite a feat considering when and how it was recorded. Great job, Steve.

9. Steve Hoffman

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

11. Maybe I misunderstood when you wrote “My MoFi SACD also dry as a bone.” I guess you meant your copy, not your work. Sorry.

12. Steve Hoffman

Lownote30 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I only wish it was mine.. That stuff sounds so good, nothing really needs to be done to it.

Lownote30 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. I thought perhaps you mastered the SACD for MoFi. I don’t think you were around when this was first recorded. Ha! But it’s interesting to think what at the time of the SACD was about a 50 year old recording session(s) and how accurately it was captured with the technology and gear at that time.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Quite so...and the one I like the best goes like this :
    " We're gonna have some fun tonight ! Have some fun tonight !Everything' s alright !Have some fun tonight. We're gonna have some fun ..yeah!Yeah ! Yeah!Yeah! Aaahhh!"

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I would think the dry one is the original and "correct". And even if it isn't it is FAR superior. I don't get the love affair with reverb that basically has not subsided even to this day.

Aftermath likes this.
  17. Good to know - and kudos to you and Ace for a job very well done. The two ACE UK 80s-vintage re-issues of Richard's first two Specialty LPs sound fantastic, and my needledrops of those form the core of my Richard collection to this date.

18. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, good stuff. I remember ACE transferred everything, I mean the master takes and all of the outtakes, false starts, etc. Was that stuff ever issued?

19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

For what little it's worth, no reverb has always sounded correct to me.

20. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I remember when the Specialty box came out (about 30 years ago, sheesh!), they had "Ooh My Soul" running fast because that's how it was released on the 45 at the time. It drove me nuts because I knew the one at the correct speed from the Rhino best-of. But nowadays, I prize historical accuracy too. I don't just want the best sounding version, I want the version I would have heard had I bought the record when it was first in the shops. And it looks like the reverb is historically correct, if period 78s and 45s are any indication.

21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I have to eat my words. :hide: Just listened to my Here's Little Richard LP, and like the 78 posted, it has the reverb.

lukpac likes this.
  22. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

The ‘Dexterized’ stereo mix on “Second Album” is my favorite mix of “Long Tall Sally” (The Beatles’ studio version, as recorded on March 1, 1964). So I am not a hater of the reverb by any means, but you have to admit it’s over the top (in a good way).

23. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

They certainly were feeling something....

I’m so glad we have the complete set from that show (as well as the 1965 NME concert). A damn shame they put the kibosh on filming the 1966 show. I don’t believe any footage exists of their 1963 performance, either.

24. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

My Canadian 'Regency' 45 has reverb

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.