Little Wing: The Jimmy McCulloch Story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by winojunko76, Nov 5, 2019.

1. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought I'd make a thread in case anybody is interested but I am finishing up my biography on Wings guitarist Jimmy McCulloch. I am just waiting on his family's approval on the manuscript before sending it over to my editor.

The format will be a scrapbook type biography with never before seen visuals from Jimmy's life and career. The wonderful Nick Drake book Remembered For Awhile was my inspiration in that regard.

Among the contributors to the book include his brother Jack, Pete Townshend, Geoff Britton, Andy "Thunderclap" Newman, Howie Casey, Tony Dorsey, Kenney Jones, John Hammel, John Mayall, Colin Allen, Bernie Marsden and Gary Granger to name a few.

There are some fascinating never before told stories relating to Jimmy's musical career as well as touching stories from friends, family, fellow musicians and fans.

It has been a labor of love for me working on this book and it is my hope that when the book is published that Jimmy gets the respect he very much deserves. He has been portrayed very negatively in a lot of the Paul McCartney books over the years with some false stories circulating that will be debunked in my book. Those include the infamous gun story from Blackbird as well as the true stories behind both Medicine Jar and Wino Junko and who those songs were inspired by. Jimmy wasn't the lyricist for either of those songs, he just put the lyrics to music and no, he wasn't "warning himself" as told in various books (including the V&M and SoS archive books).

I will be self publishing through Amazon KDP and will post updates and the link here when it is available. It will be in paperback and kindle format.

Jimmy's story deserves to be told and I am very excited for people to learn more about the man behind the instrument.

2. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

This is great news! I'm In!

Electric Sydney and fer2 like this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Congratulations on your idea and good luck! Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy.

joy stinson likes this.
  4. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Great. He is an underexposed and interesting musician and person. Love his guitar solo on "Junior's Farm".

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'll definitely buy your book!

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

No Denny Laine?

JDeanB likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hope it all goes well with the finalizing of the manuscript. Good luck!

joy stinson and JDeanB like this.
  8. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

This sounds great. Keep us updated!

Congrats!

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I'll buy it...btw, what makes you such a big Jimmy fan? Your avatar as well and name are Jimmy references?

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

How did you decide on the title, Little Wing, which most would associate with Hendrix, and not Medicine Jar or Wino Junko?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    SG47, AngusStanley, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  11. winojunko76

There is a quote in there from Denny along with some archival quotes from the Prism Films video interview he did.

I didn't get to personally interview him due to complications with the person who handles his press. They are extremely unprofessional and it is a shame.

12. winojunko76

One of his nicknames ironically enough was "Little Wing" and can be heard in the song "Down Bound Train" by Jimmy McCulloch and White Line by their vocalist Dave Clarke before Jimmy answers with his trademark guitar.

"Will Little Wing get much higher? Take me up until you're flying."

13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Awesome! I look forward to this.

joy stinson likes this.
  14. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Wow! Thank you for sharing the news, I can't wait for your book to be released! Jimmy was such a brilliant guitarist & his life story is a truly fascinating one. This is a Rock N' Roll book long overdue, kudos to you for all the work you have put into it, I'm sure it will be immensely appreciated by everyone.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    joy stinson likes this.
  15. winojunko76

I discovered Jimmy through watching the television documentary Wingspan when it aired on ABC back in May 2001. The rest is history.

16. winojunko76

Thank you everyone!

I am very hopeful that this book will make people see Jimmy in a different light and that they gain a new appreciation for him not only as an incredibly talented musician but as a person as well.

So many people have told me wonderful stories about Jimmy that I'd like to share an excerpt and help breathe a little bit of that fresh air into your news feed

"... I certainly knew who Jimmy was, and would nod to him or offer him a pint, but even so, I don’t think I made a lot of fuss about one of Wings being in the pub; I was probably trying to be cool, or got the impression that he didn’t want to be anything other than a normal geezer enjoying a drink.

“However, one night there were fewer people there and I got to sit down and talk to him properly. I remember asking him about Thunderclap Newman: I had their Hollywood Dream LP and loved it, particularly Accidents. He started to talk, and someone interrupted and said something stupid about him waffling on. Jimmy looked at him and said, “I’m talking,” and the bloke persisted, taking the piss. “Now shut up,” Jimmy told him, cutting him dead. “My friend here wants to talk about my music. That’s important!” And he really meant it. I was so chuffed, because I felt exactly the same way."

17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

He added a lot to the band when he came on board. I remember watching the concert film back then and being impressed.

51IS, joy stinson and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Very happy that this project is finally being finalized Paul!

I’ll definitely get a copy :)

Luca

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Congrats! I’m in.

20. BrianKehew

BrianKehew Forum Resident

This project has gone into many years of effort, the ONLY way a book like this could do justice. Most people do a quick few months of research on the web and put something out. This will be exceptional, a deep dive into one of history's coolest musicians.

joy stinson likes this.
  21. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I enjoyed his recordings with Thunderclap Newman and Wings, and always thought it a shame that The Dukes did not go further and realise the enormous talent in the band.

joy stinson and Lurgan Lad like this.
  22. winojunko76

"Angie Bowie phoned up, David Bowie’s wife at the time. She was interested and wanted to know if my brother wanted to work with them." - Jack McCulloch

Hear the full story in Little Wing: The Jimmy McCulloch Story, coming soon.

Happy birthday, Starman.

23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Want to wish a happy birthday to Jimmy, who would have turned 67 today.

Paul McCartney is an immense talent with a legacy most can only dream of. But he’s also had the fortune to have great people around him through his career. And among them was Jimmy, a young guitarist who brought such life and vibrancy to Wings, enriching two of arguably their best efforts (Venus and Mars and Wings At the Speed Of Sound) with his biting guitar work and vocals. In addition, he offered two excellent cuts in “Medicine Jar” and “Wino Junko”, on which he also took lead vocals.

Conventional wisdom plays up Wings as background fodder for Paul’s solo career, but in truth, they were absolutely a band. Paul was the leader, yes, but the members enriched Paul and made him better. And it was with Wings that he truly hit commercial pay-dirt in his post-Beatles career.

Sadly, we lost Jimmy rather young, but what he helped create, especially with Paul and Wings, lives on.

BigSur32, Eska68, Mark L. and 13 others like this.
  24. winojunko76

Jimmy's brother Jack has finished reading the manuscript and made notes as he was reading. All we have to do now is go over those notes and make the corrections needed.

Thank you all for your continued patience. It will be worth the wait with never before seen photographs and stories that give fans a glimpse into who the man was behind the instrument.

Simon A, theMess, groundharp and 10 others like this.
  25. Sounds great. Maybe to drum up some interest you may want to debut a brief excerpt/teaser or two. Good Luck!

Paulwalrus likes this.