Little Wing: The Jimmy McCulloch Story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by winojunko76, Nov 5, 2019.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

My favorite part of Girlfriend song is the added ending, not on Michael Jackson’s version….That and the great falsetto.

JDeanB and Ms. Daisy like this.
  2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Yes, I’ve been reading about that book.

3. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Sounds like a good book, along with this one on Jimmy.

joy stinson and 905 like this.
  4. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Probably will be too clean. All I know is the rumors he was gone on smack and Paul had enough.

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Totally agree. Indeed, Cafe on the Left Bank is one of the tunes I had in mind when I said above that Jimmy's playing regularly stands out

7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I met Joe English in '79 when he was in Sea Level. He said Jimmy was razor sharp when he wasn't "out there". Laine not wanting to be a part......seems odd, he has lots of free time to gab, he does at celebrity appearances I attended. Nice guy.

joy stinson likes this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Cafe On The Left Bank is one of my all-time favorite Wings songs!

zen and Bruce M. like this.
  9. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

What interesting things do we learn in the book?

10. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I was reading more in the book last night. Jimmy turned his notice in early in his time with Wings to replace Tommy Bolin in the James Gang! He said at that point Wings was not recording or touring so he was jumping ship. Soon, Linda called him and said they would soon be recording and touring after the album. She also gave him a salary to stay.

Later, at the end of the 1976 tour, Jimmy met with Carl Wilson and Terry Kath about putting a band together. Carl wanted to leave the Beach Boys and Kath was ready to do something outside of Chicago. We all know it did not come to fruition, but that could have been an interesting lineup.

joy stinson, PDK, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I was surprised how many dead ends and very short lived projects he had for such a short career. He was clearly very restless. It also was short sighted of Paul to expect the guys he picked for wings be at his beck and call without being on retainer. It’s almost like an over reaction to Apple.

joy stinson, 51IS and JDeanB like this.
  12. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I found it interesting one of the reasons Jimmy left Wings was money, yet he only stayed with The Small Faces a few months after fighting with Steve Marriott over money. You would think Paul's manager would have taken care of the money issues with the band.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

If Paul wanted him, he'd pay him. It wasn't money and I guarantee you he didn't want to leave that band.

14. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Would be interested in hearing about his time with the Small Faces. Only Rick Wills and Kenney Jones are left from that reunion - did they provide any input?

15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So, you,think he was fired?

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, Jimmy had a habit of being a bit of a hard partier and trouble maker. One time he even refused to come out for an encore, McCartney had to seriously get in his face!

17. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

Bad idea. Carl was in pretty bad shape in 77 and 78.

18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

All three certainly had their issues.

19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Probably on weekly wage even if he wasn't "Winging it". Common in music circles. Dropped when Paul had enough.

joy stinson likes this.
  20. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Was that ever anywhere except the Guiliano book? I know his source was supposed to be JoJo Laine but that book had some questionable stories in it.

joy stinson and jesse like this.
  21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Don't know anything about Guiliano's book, I saw McCartney himself say it. Also you can read about it in the Scottish daily mail dated 27 Mar, 2021. The article is by Jonathan Brocklebank. Here's the headline...
    Tragedy of the teenage genius Linda and Paul took under their Wings
    Here's a snippet...
    the guitarist could be inexplicably moody. Norman describes one show where McCulloch refused to go back on stage as the audience roared for an encore. ‘Instead of acting the big star boss, Paul simply grabbed him and bundled him back on stage where, with typical contrariness, he played his best all evening.’

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  22. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident

McCartney talks about it in Wingspan.

PDK and Ms. Daisy like this.
  23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

The incident is written about in Little Wing. Apparently, Paul got rough with him. And who could blame him?

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  24. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I talked with Kenney for the book and his contributions are in there. Rick Wills is quoted from the Steve Marriott bio "All Too Beautiful".

Dignan2000 and Two Sheds like this.
  25. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The infamous gun story and death photo are debunked in Little Wing.

joy stinson, Ryan Lux and Ms. Daisy like this.