Little Wing: The Jimmy McCulloch Story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by winojunko76, Nov 5, 2019.

1. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

His brother told me that he was sacked over money. Jimmy wanted his fair dues and he was happy when he left the band. I don't think near the end of his tenure in Wings, that he was in a great place mentally. Paul also dropped the idea of including any of Jimmy's songs on further Wings albums so that played a part as well.

omikron, WilliamWes and Ryan Lux like this.
  2. winojunko76

Thank you. The reason that the price is as high as it is for the paperback and hardcover is because I self published it. The price is set based on trim size, page count and color quality. Little Wing was an absolute labor of love on my part and I hope that shines through once people get their copies.

3. winojunko76

“Medicine Jar was born out of my frustration, caused by Jeanette’s constant use of Mandies. The song’s line I know how you feel now your friends are dead, related to friends who had died because of drugs.” - Colin Allen in Little Wing: The Jimmy McCulloch Story.

There you are, ladies and gentleman, Medicine Jar was inspired by Jeanette Jacobs of The Cake and wasn’t an ironic song where Jimmy was singing about himself. Wino Junko wasn't either. I think the Venus and Mars/Speed of Sound archival books and all the McCartney books out there which state that false assumption as fact need a bit of updating [​IMG]

Solaris, omikron, 905 and 4 others like this.
  4. winojunko76

Don't believe all the rumors that you read about Jimmy. That is one of the big reasons why I wrote the book was to debunk all the myths and rumors that have surrounded Jimmy over the years.

5. winojunko76

I didn't white wash Jimmy's story if that's what you mean by "they're usually too cleaned-up." My main goal was to provide people a glimpse at who Jimmy really was as a person and musician. There are a lot of narrow minded and negative portrayals of him that are sensationalized and couldn't be further from the truth. Hence why I wrote the book.

bober_, omikron, 905 and 2 others like this.
  6. winojunko76

Oh, how little you know of Jimmy or his musical achievements. There are a lot of people who know of Jimmy and love the music that he made throughout his career.

Your loss if you don't want to learn more about this immensely talented musician.

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I have your book on my Amazon wish list and my birthday is coming up. . .

8. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I find it puzzling that Paul would decline to include any of Jimmy's songs on future Wings albums. Was McCartney trying to force him out? I know there are folks who don't care for "Wino Junko", but I like both it and "Medicine Jar". I would prefer Jimmy's songs to some of Denny's.

9. winojunko76

I hope you enjoy it! Looking forward to reading your thoughts once you have get it. It makes a great birthday gift :)

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. winojunko76

When I approached him initially, he was interested but then declined to be interviewed through his PR twice over the span of a year or so. I was told that he was saving his stories for his own book.

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

E-book coming soon? If not, I’ll just order the paperback.

12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I disagree, had they got their act together it could’ve been amazing.

13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I may review it for my blog. I'll let you know.

14. winojunko76

Thanks. I would love that!

15. winojunko76

Maybe at some point in the future. I would go ahead and order the paperback if I were you.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Congratuations! I've seen you around here for years but didn't know you had this up your sleeve. Good reviews so far too - I totally understand when you include photos, self-publishing gets more expensive. I can't purchase it at the moment, I'm guessing I could go for an E-book edition that I can afford - it's not too hard to link it to this book and create the e-book version if you're interesting in releasing it that way later. The expensive cost of printing goes out the window then. Thanks for the new info - we had differing reports on why Jimmy left Wings but this new info falls in place with what other Wings members have said. I wish you good luck!

winojunko76, omikron and Ms. Daisy like this.
  17. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Are more copies of the hardcover going to be printed?

18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"Medicine Jar" is one of my all-time favourite Wings tracks bar none. Hope the book
    doesn't gloss over Jimmy's early career, including his stint with U.K. mod/psychedelic
    legends One In A Million. He was just 14 years old when he played lead guitar on their
    fab "Double Sight/Fredereek Hernando" single in 1967 and opened for The Who.

[​IMG]

LFSDoc and omikron like this.
  19. winojunko76

The hardcover is also print on demand so copies will never run out. I just checked Amazon and copies are available on there, it just takes 6-10 days to print/ship. I am guessing that's because I used IngramSpark to print the hardcover. I used Amazon's self publishing service, KDP, to do the paperback and once an order for the paperback is placed, it is printed immediately hence the faster ship times.

WilliamWes and groundharp like this.
  20. winojunko76

I will look into that, thank you!

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. winojunko76

I don't gloss over his early career, there's plenty of great stuff from the OIAM days.

905 and Lightworker like this.
  22. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

[​IMG]
    The beautiful woman next to Mac is his wife Kim (the former Mrs. Moon). Jimmy has the backstage pass lanyard. Who are the other two people seen here?

babyblue likes this.
  23. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Good to see the discussion about Jimmy. WatSoS is my favourite Wings album. After seeing the thread I started listening to the album and Wino Junko has just started now.

905 likes this.
  24. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

My copy arrived today; it's a very nice book - laminated cover and chock full of color photos. On first skim, I see some things that I knew and others unfamiliar. At 267 pages, it's a good length - not too short nor long. Look forward to reading it!

Ms. Daisy and WilliamWes like this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

How did he die? Morphine? That's the verdict if I remember.