Live- 25th Anniversary Throwing Copper release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, May 30, 2019.

1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

You can get the two new tracks as a single on 7digital for $3. Hold Me Up is worth getting. The Woodstock show is available on Amazon, but it's MP3. Hoping 7digital gets that show in FLAC soon.

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Live - Throwing Copper [25th Anniversary Edition]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR9 over -12.68 dB 09 - T.B.D..mp3
    DR7 over -9.05 dB 15 - Hold Me Up.mp3
    DR6 over -6.98 dB 25 - Operation Spirit.mp3
    DR6 over -7.55 dB 21 - Selling the Drama.mp3

DR7 over -10.99 dB 01 - The Dam at Otter Creek.mp3
    DR8 over -10.15 dB 17 - Susquehanna.mp3
    DR7 over -8.76 dB 07 - All Over You.mp3
    DR7 over -9.09 dB 04 - Iris.mp3
    DR6 over -7.39 dB 18 - Iris.mp3
    DR10 over -11.68 dB 02 - Selling the Drama.mp3
    DR7 over -8.11 dB 10 - Stage.mp3
    DR5 over -6.84 dB 24 - I Alone.mp3
    DR6 over -8.87 dB 13 - White, Discussion.mp3

DR7 over -9.60 dB 11 - Waitress.mp3
    DR6 over -8.12 dB 08 - **** Towne.mp3
    DR5 over -6.40 dB 22 - **** Towne.mp3
    DR6 over -7.17 dB 19 - Top.mp3

DR8 over -12.11 dB 05 - Lightning Crashes.mp3
    DR5 over -8.79 dB 23 - Lightning Crashes.mp3
    DR7 over -9.78 dB 16 - We Deal in Dreams.mp3
    DR7 over -9.46 dB 03 - I Alone.mp3
    DR5 over -6.80 dB 26 - White, Discussion.mp3
    DR7 over -8.21 dB 06 - Top.mp3
    DR9 over -11.01 dB 12 - Pillar of Davidson.mp3
    DR10 over -11.23 dB 14 - Horse.mp3

DR6 over -7.69 dB 20 - The Beauty of Gray.mp3

Number of files: 26
    Official DR value: DR7

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'll be curious to see what people think about the new vinyl version. But for anyone on the fence, the MOV single LP is surprisingly good. Wonderfully quiet, and easily the most dynamic version of this album available previously. They crammed a lot of music on each side, but they've also gotten really good at that, and I don't think the sound suffers at all...no IGD issues, and really nice sound overall. Just throwing that out there since there might be deals on it flying around now that this new version is out. Obviously you don't get the bonus tracks, but if you just care about the main album, it's a really nice pressing.

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Agreed. I ended up selling my original pressing since even with less music per side it sounded worse than the MOV remaster.

walrus likes this.
  5. walrus

MOV is hit and miss for me (really depends on the source they get...the quality of the actual pressing is always top-notch), but they seemingly got a pre-CD master tape for this one. Most vinyl made in the 90's was just made as collector's pieces, without much care for the actual sound or pressing quality. (And I know, because I still have an OP Secret Samadhi)

6. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Throwing copper is one of my all time favorite albums and this is an easy pass for me. I’ll stick with my MOV pressing. Too bad because I was looking for any excuse to buy...

Speedmaster and James Bennett like this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Pretty much how I feel.

8. walrus

Man, I just listened to the Woodstock '94 set earlier and yikes. Such a bummer, because I remember "Selling the Drama" from the Woodstock '94 comp album sounding pretty great. This one is as squished as you think it is. Nice, albeit short, set, but save your money and just stream it.

James Bennett likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Mental Jewelry is a Better Album-IMO.
    Pain Lies on the Riverside and Operation Spirit were their Best Songs-IMO.
    I have those first 3 Live CDs boxed up and need to dig them out. Live went down hill quickly after the third Album with the Black Cover Art.
    Knowing now that the Loudness Wars started around 1994, I wonder what the DR Average was for 'Throwing Copper' and how much lower compared to 'Mental Jewelry'?

J_D__ likes this.
  10. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Thought the same yesterday. The set is good though— S Towne and Beauty of Gray were highlights for me. Sound was pretty good on my HomePod but it’s certainly compressed.

11. walrus

According to the DR database, Mental Jewelry was 11, the original '94 Copper was DR8.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thanks, I was going to look it up, but seems to be about in line on what I would have guessed based on other Albums around that same time period. It has been at least 12-14 years since I played either of those CDs. Almost seems like music of those times, but maybe need to reassess those Albums to see if I like them now as much as I did in the 1990s(when most of my Music Collection was from UK Music Artists, with exceptions for US Music Artists like Jeff Buckley, NIN, Sublime, Afghan Whigs, Smashing Pumpkins, and a few others).

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Well Mental Jewelry holds up extremely well IMO as long as you like Ed's young voice, I love the raw emotion of it and it remains a top 10 album of the 90s for me (EDIT: my bad, I have it at #11 lol), far superior to any of their other efforts. I think Operation Spirit is one of their best songs but I think there isn't a bad song on the album and it plays great still from start to finish.

The 25th anniversary remaster of Mental Jewelry is actually surprisingly good (DR10) and retains the vast majority of the original dynamics, sadly the Ted Jensen-mastered Disc 2 (Live at the Roxy July 13, 1992) is slammed to shyte and scores a DR6. Why they chose such different styles of mastering for each of the two discs in the 2CD set is beyond me.

Worth picking up as it's cheap, for the more modern mastering and the excellent bonus cut "Born Branded".

14. walrus

Yeah, most 90's stuff has really not aged well for me. Even artists like NIN who I still love passionately, I rarely go to the Downward Spiral, opting for The Fragile and later stuff when I'm in the mood for Trent, and the same with Pearl Jam and their first three records.

But I picked up the MOV Throwing Copper on a whim and it's a really solid record, one of the few from that era that legit sustains itself for 60 freaking minutes. I think them being influenced more by melodic acts like U2 and REM made them stand out at the time, and makes the record more listenable than most grunge-tinged stuff of the mid-90's. If only they'd been able to sustain that momentum for another record or two.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

I did not even realize there was a similar 25th Anniversary Edition for ‘Mental Jewelry’ I will seek it out eventually.

ARK likes this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

I recall liking ‘Secret Samadhi’ but then the Song on the next Album-about Dolphins Crying?, they just lost me around that time. Then thought I had read that EK became a religious guy and figured they were just turning into Creed by that time. Like the Saying goes, 'Even Jesus Hates Creed'. Just figured that Live would end up doing County Fairs where other similar Bands play out their Post Glory Years( or now on Cruise Ships on occasions).

marblesmike likes this.
  17. walrus

The singles for Samadhi were great, but there just wasn't much memorable amidst the rest of the album tracks. That's kinda par for the course for 90's rock, but also what significantly separates it from Throwing Copper. "Dolphin's Cry" was an okay single, but there wasn't much else on that album worth remembering...I actually think "Simple Creed" from 2001 is among their best post-Copper radio songs, but again, the rest of the record was pretty weak. They really only got it together for the length of a full LP that one time, it seems.

marblesmike likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

I will have to give that Album another listen, as it has been a log time, but do recall liking at least 3 of the Songs on it, but you might be right that it is not a Good Entire Album.

I used to play the first 2 OASIS Albums and 'The Masterplan' B Sides CD a lot in the mid 1990s, but all these years later, there are at least 15-20 UK Music Artists from the 1990s, who I currently listen to more than OASIS, so kind of like Live, is a Music Artist that I seem to have left behind, although loved their one mid 2000 Album, 'Don't Believe the Truth' and the first 2 Noel Gallagher Albums(still have not listened enough yet to 'Who Built The Moon' to provide a take on that Album-Same for the Liam Gallagher Solo Album, as I bought it off of Good Reviews that surprised me, as did not care much for the Beady Eye Albums, but will give the LG Solo Album some time this year-this is why I slowed down on buying New Albums in 2019, as have not kept up with Albums I have bought the past year in 2018).

walrus likes this.
  19. walrus

There's nothing wrong with feeling differently about stuff when you're 20+ years older. Oasis (and Noel's solo stuff) still works for me as I approach 40, but lots of stuff I loved as a teenager I just never feel compelled to listen to anymore. Like, I still think Alice In Chains was a great band, but I'm just never in the mood for that kind of stuff as an adult.

20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Damn! 25 years?!?
    I feel old. :cry:

I'll keep an eye on this. If the vinyl is good, I may purchase.

Chemically altered likes this.
  21. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I loved that band (saw them in concert twice) but always wondered if their name didn't sabotage their career in some way. I remember in earlier internet days (using altavista search engine) and being flummoxed by search results with the word "live". Yikes. There was a similar search nightmare regarding the band Ultravox. Their somewhat recent return album had a great track on it, originally called "Live Again", only to be retitled "Live". Have fun trying to find a live version of "Live" on youtube. I know it can be done but it takes effort.

ytserush and groovelocked like this.
  22. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I can't get the webstore to work for me, it won't accept my order, clicking "Complete Order" just refreshes the page with no error or confirmation. Anyway, maybe I can find a copy on Amazon eventually. I love LOVE this album.

Spastica likes this.
  23. It's on Qobuz.

mattdm11 likes this.
  24. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Thank you sir....just purchased it!

25. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

TDTH is considered by Live fans to be one of their best albums, and considered to be their last good album, as most fans dislike V, don't mind BOP, and HATE SFBM.

TDTH is a great album. The Distance, Sparkle, Meltdown, We Walk In The Dream, Voodoo Lady, Dance With You, They Stood Up For Love....great, great tunes.

The TSUFL single is fantastic, it includes multiple live tracks from an acoustic-ish show in 2000.

theshape and groovelocked like this.