Live- 25th Anniversary Throwing Copper release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, May 30, 2019.

1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

And regarding SS, Ghost, Gas Hed Goes West, and Heropsychodreamer beg to differ. :)

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Eh. I mean, I like that album okay, but the melodies weren't there much past the singles and "Rattlesnake."

That's what made Throwing Copper...almost every track on it had a great melody and solid chorus, and could've been a single, even the deep cuts like "Pillar Of Davidson" or "Stage." That was pretty rare on a mid-90's rock album, but they never got that mojo back.

I'll revisit Distance To Here, but man...i don't remember much about it other than it was kinda disappointing. I thought Birds Of Prey was a better listen, honestly, even if it felt like a somewhat calculated effort to get their radio audience back.

ian christopher likes this.
  3. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Birds of Pray is in the midst of Ed having frontman syndrome and singing about God and water. BoP is overall weak, however some good songs - Like I Do is probably the strongest track.

TDTH is a great album and just about all Live fans agree on this. It's stronger overall than SS. It's probably my second favorite Live album. The album even left off some good songs like Deeper and Don't Wait.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I think Throwing Copper is an ungodly good, lightning-in-a-bottle kind of record - the kind that many bands never make once and that only the most exceptional bands equal with another of comparable quality in their careers. And to my knowledge. still the only album to have the word placenta appear in a song - a single, no less !!!. I personally do like Secret Samadhi - the heavying up of their sound seemed like an interesting progression. I remember seeing them on Saturday Night Live doing Lakini's Juice and wondering if I had just seen the world's greatest band or the worst...Ed was already starting to exhibit serious symptoms of the aforementioned Frontman's Disease. To paraphrase Stephen King, for me there was always something about Live ( even at their best ) that was like chewing on tinfoil...

D.D.

5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I gotta say, I thought Ed was a pretty cool dude in the 90s. I didn't even mind his long hair days back in 01 when V came out. He became a pretty big d-bag when BoP came out, started selling coffee with his kids' pictures on it.....and now I can't stand the guy. His singing style has changed, he doesn't have that edge anymore.... the best album since TDTH doesn't even have him as the lead singer. The Turn is a pretty rocking album, and it shows Chad, Chad and Pat can make good music, but Ed is pretty much that guy that ruins it.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  6. walrus

Oh, I remember the lyrics to BOP being awful, and I'm not the kind of person who usually notices that kind of thing.

7. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I don't understand why they didn't put out a 2cd version of this like they did with Mental Jewelry.

8. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I remember really enjoying the Freaks single, and still do, along with the video. One thing I will say about Ed during this time; at least he had his own look and his own thing going, and wasn’t trying to slot himself in between Vedder and Cobain somewhere.

9. James Bennett

I would have very much appreciated the MTV Unplugged set as a second or third disc.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Trowing Copper was enormous in my part of the world, and when I finally bought it, I thought it did live up to the hype.
    It's a shame they didn't get a 5.1 or something a little more interesting to get me to buy this.

J_D__ and Dan C like this.
  11. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

i'm a huge Live fan and will buy this when i'm feeling flush. any release of the MTV Unplugged would be a full on music orgasm for me-i'd buy immediately. i think, along with Pearl Jam, one of the best Unplugged shows ever. the 2cd Mental Jewelry is great also.

ARK, ian christopher and Dan C like this.
  12. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

sorry for the ignorance, but can you please clarify what the "MOV single LP" is? sounds like something i need. thanks.

13. James Bennett

Music on Vinyl did a highly regarded 1LP release of the album that is highly regarded. I have never heard it though myself.

walrus and jlocke08 like this.
  14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Haven't heard The Turn but I'll try to seek it out and take it for a spin. I got shook loose by The Distance To Here - at the time I thought it didn't rock enough for me. I spent some time with it this week inspired by this thread. I think it's a pretty solid album but I struggled with Kowalczyk's mystic/pilgrim/spiritualist pose ( he was singing about God and water long before Birds of Pray - the title alone of which kept me away from that record ) and tendency to veer off into histrionics - he sells it pretty damned hard. The lyrics... well...

I remember back in the fall of 2001 during an extended hospital stay that on my tiny TV, two songs were getting played over and over on Canada's MuchMusic in super heavy rotation: Elton John's comeback single I Want Love with Robert Downey Jr. doing Mansion Karaoke and Live's Overcome. I think that pretty much closed the book on Live for me although I don't actually mind Songs From The West Coast even now. I was just on the Live website ( yes, it's hard to find with a Google search ) and they are peddling Throwing Copper Ale ( Our first craft beer !!! ) in honor of the re-release. I guess what was once God & water is now hops and barley....

D.D.

enro99 and mattdm11 like this.
  15. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Much appreciated. have to search that out.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

opinions on the Live at The Paradiso album. i quite enjoy it and listen to a good bit of it regularly.

ARK and theshape like this.
  17. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Oh no doubt what Live has become is sad. Selling beer, before that Ed was selling coffee with his daughters on the packaging.....they play the same set over and over and over.....Ed has ruined the band, and yes, his obsession with water is laughable, SFBM has him on the cover in a waterfall and the lead single was The River. Enough. He even changed what I think was one of the best lyrics in music history:

Heard a lot of talk about this Jesus
    A man of love, a man of strength
    But what a man was 2000 years ago
    Means nothing at all to me today

He could have been telling me about my higher self
    But he only lives inside my prayer
    So what he was may have been beautiful
    But the pain is right now and right here

Once he changed his stance on religion. And he even wrote a song about that (which is actually good) "We Walk In The Dream".

When they broke up, their guitarist, Chad Taylor, wrote a long. long story about what happened. They had pressure to change their sound a bit, Ed was getting more control.....they were not the same band after 1999/2000. And it really shows. But from 1991-1999, they were a great rock band with four awesome albums that rank very highly in my collection.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  18. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I was wrong
    We are not these bodies alone
    In a dream with a mind of its own
    I, I know you long
    To be tethered
    And tied to the heart of the one
    The one that be layin' you down
    On that ancient ground
    Nothin' more to be found
    Ah yeah

Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    To live a life in love the only thing in common was
    We knew there was somethin' more
    Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    To live in a life of love
    To hear the voice in the wilderness
    The other side of the door
    Somethin' more

I feel strong
    I'm finally at peace
    The war is all gone
    By no cause of my own
    Like an eagle cuts through the air
    No time for fear
    Faith in his wings takes him there

Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    To live a life in love
    The only thing in common was
    Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    Somethin' more!

More than these
    Women in the street pullin' out their hair
    Somethin' more
    Somethin' more than all the pain we feel
    Somethin' more
    More than we could dream of, all light
    Love-bliss, no death and no fear
    No fear!!!

Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    To live a life in love the only thing in common was
    Now we walk in the dream
    But dream no more
    Somethin' more

I was wrong
    Oh yeah, I was wrong

19. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Like it a lot. Wish it would get a vinyl release at some point.

theshape likes this.
  20. walrus

I mean, I'd rather hear him sing about hops and barley, to be honest. I mean, water is fine, i guess it's necessary for human survival, but it's boring and doesn't taste like anything. :laugh:

It's like he took the random spiritual stuff in U2 songs, but forgot that the secret to U2 was making it vague enough to where it didn't turn off the rest of us.

I have it, and I highly recommend it. Of course the new version you get the bonus tracks, of which I think "Hold Me Up" is as good as anything on the actual record (how did this never get released? It would've been a huge hit). But the MOV version somehow fit the entire 14 tracks on a single LP, yet still sounds great, dynamic, and a really nice, quiet pressing.

enro99 likes this.
  21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Think I still need to get this although I've seen it before.

22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Songs From Black Mountain was the one that killed it for me. Love everything before that and I thought they were great live. I suppose it killed it for them too

23. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

The Music On Vinyl Version must be knocking on for half an hour per side? That's way too much.

I have the original vinyl release of this and it's hugely disappointing that tracks are missing from it, but the CD is really harsh, it's digital at its worse. I'm kind of half tempted by the 25 year special edition but it's about 70 quid which is crazy money for a record.

I like how Diamond Dog above above described it as being "ungodly good", I think that's spot-on. It has an amazing power to it; it's so in your face, relentless, breathless, epic. Apart from the Damn at Otter Creek which I find a bit boring!

There's something about I Alone that is creepy, I find it almost uncomfortable to listen to. Just love Waitress, I always remember having to look up what barrette was, had never heard of it before. And S**t Town, love how that was about their home town and it narked Yorkians! Really amazing album,it's hardly susprising they were never able to match it. Saw them, ahem, live, in Manchester in the mid naughties and, man, it was loud. Pardon?

24. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

If we didn't live on the other side of the world I'd suggest we go halves and I keep the vinyl. :-D I hang up CDs in the chicken run to keep the girls amused!

25. innerturmoil

innerturmoil Forum Resident

ARK, kolive and Adam Bosman like this.