Live Albums ? --- I Can Live Without Them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I can't. I love them. Shows the true artist.........that is if there isn't any studio trickery........and even then, what the heck.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

In my top 5 albums of all time is a live album, The Allman. Brothers Band At Fillmore East. However beyond that one remarkable album the other live albums I own in any genre typically are on the lower scale of my preferences. I guess I just prefer the recorded studio sound to a recorded live sound.

Joti Cover and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Generally speaking I dislike live albums now. However, when I was younger I used to love them. I had heard Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out before Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. Therefore, due to some of the impatience a teenager may have, I found the studio versions of songs like Sympathy and Rambler to not be up to snuff. So I think the love for the live format reveals a bit of immaturity. Done right, these albums provide an adrenaline rush for the young.

I also think that live albums should be limited to one LP. As in a live show, leave the audience wanting more. The real Live At Leeds is perfect. But the expanded Super Deluxe Version bores me to tears. And that is not even taking into account the sub par mastering on it.

Sometimes we need to embellish stories in order to bring the person we are conversing with into a state of understanding the excitement since they weren't there. I think this is what a good live album does in a single LP format. And there are way too few of those around.

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What really disappointed me was the fact that the Dead's Ready or Not--billed as their "lost studio album," turned out to be live. It would have been a lot better (for my tastes, at least) if the surviving members had worked it into a polished studio affair, where they Frankensteined the Jerry vocal/guitar tracks they had into it as well as they could, basically in the vein of the recent Miles Davis Rubber Band album.

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good point.

6. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Forum Resident

Just trying to help some people learn good music.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I get that

8. Wolfschmidt

Wolfschmidt Well-Known Member

I don’t listen to a lot of live albums, but Otis Redding’s live versions always trump his studio recordings and are definitive for me. More firepower on stage and you can tell he just loved performing.

The MEZ and Joti Cover like this.
  9. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Nah not a fan. The only 2 I care about is Live Album by Grand Funk Railroad and I can get in the mood for Skin And Bones by Foo Fighters occassionally

10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It seems like a lot of reissues today are live or have some live material
    King Crimson
    Zappa
    Grateful Dead, I know this one is pretty obvious
    Bowie
    Dylan
    Rolling Stones
    and I'm sure there are more.

I guess some in this thread are not buying anything from this list.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I'm just listening to disc five of Costello & Nieve's two-man 1996 tour of the US. It's exciting to hear such powerful, stripped down versions of this material. I don't dislike live albums, I just don't own that many. For a long time, I preferred the versions of Close To The Edge and Siberian Khatru from Yessongs to the studio originals, because those were the first ones I was familiar with. I do find I enjoy live jazz recordings more than rock though.

That's all I know.

12. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Depends on the Bowie, for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.