Live at the Vanguard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ATR, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATR

ATR Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, but the question is who and when. I'd like to see how many Vanguard recordings there are (the Village, not the record label), which version folks prefer (vinyl, remastered, complete, etc.), and who was there on the night a particular recording was done. Personally, I never was there for a recording, but I recall feeling oh so hip the night Chick and Stanley were at the next table. Even though I can't remember who was playing that night. I'd love to hear from someone who saw Coltrane the night they played Live at the Village Vanguard Again. That record made it impossible for me to get into Trane for several years; now I love it. Anyway two of my personal favorites are Retroflection by Arthur Blythe on Enja with John Hicks, Cecil McBee, and Bobby Battle and Live at the Village Vanguard Vol. 2 by George Adams Don Pullen Quartet with Cameron Brown and Danny Richardson on Soul Note. Both on CD, and I've not heard either in any other format.

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I've never been there for a recording, but I really like the Joe Lovano set, and lately I've been dipping up big scoops of Wynton Marsalis' box and the Coltrane Complete 1961 set. And there's, of course, Sonny Rollins' classic, A Night at the Village Vanguard (I've always been happy with the original CD issues in two volumes; haven't heard the new RVG) and the original OJC's of Bill Evans' Sunday at the V.V. and Waltz for Debby still sound fine to me. Also fond of the Art Pepper sets. A quick amazon.com search turned up 54 titles with keywords "village" "vanguard" and "live." 101 for just "village vanguard." Some are multiple versions, but I'd say there are easily 50-60 separate recordings out there and available, more than that if you count more imports and oop titles. That little club is probably the most recorded live space in North America, if not the world. Certainly in jazz circles its the most well-known.

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.