Live from Hollywood....Almost

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

It should come as no surprise that ABC-TV will impose a 5 second delay in tonight's Academy Awards telecast. An ABC spokesperson announced the decision yesterday. The delay is just the latest intervention into live network broadcasts in order to limit language deemed offensive to general audiences. I can imagine the list of words that the Standards & Practices dept. came up with. I'm sure those most common and banal words ie: hell & damn will pass muster. But the big gun four letter and longer words will get the bleep. I'm not sure what they intend to do about the two part words. You know the ones. And will it be limited to just the audio portion. Will we see the picture suddenly go to black for several seconds. Perhaps following a gesture or a little to much cleavage or even a famous celeb caught picking his or her nose. So there he sits, his shakey finger poised over a large red kill button. Along side sits THE LIST of offensive words. His red swollen eyes glued to the large monitor, a nervous, anxiety ridden ABC exec. ready to protect the nation's morals at the drop of a shoulder strap or preceived utterence of a foul vowel.
    I hope the lip readers of America take note. One complaint and next years awards shows will be broadcast only by radio....with a 5 second delay.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And don't forget, this 5 second delay will screw up the picture and sound quality, that's for sure....

3. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

We get what we deserve. Changing the national "topic" like this keeps us from noticing the real important things unfortunately. I'm amazed at the number of people who are in favour of all of these restrictions.

I'll watch the show this year, for the first time in a while because I've actually seen many of the movies this year, but I hope that some winners speak out about freedom of speech.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd quite enjoy tighter, tight enough the choke the s**t out of some of them;):)

If words were weapons, I'd be on the front line:)

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

THAT'S why it appeared as if everyone was lip-synching their singing. Very distracting. As to the necessity, well, I'm glad there's someone out there looking out for my moral well-being (said VERY sarcastically).

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.