Live Grateful Dead Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

So Many Roads

What's the production problem with So Many Roads, other than the fact that it's OoP and attempts to cover too many years? I picked up a like-new used box a while back and haven't yet critically listened to each cd.

Thanks, Gerry

2. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I think they're all OOP - I finally tracked down a copy of vol. 3 at a reasonable price recently, thinking I'd finally completed the set, only to discover that there was a fourth volume (The Deadhead Taper's Addendum, I believe) whose existence I hadn't even been aware of. So the quest continues...

3. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

IIRC this show was an audience recording done on reel-to-reel. It is one of the most amazing sounding Dead shows-SBD or AUD!

The amazing version of Hard To Handle captures an amazing ebb or flow of energy in the crowd as this songs cooks towards a series of amazing Jerry soloing.

I also laugh thinking about an over-exuberant fan shouting "Whoo-Whoo" during just about every phrase during Casey Jones. That fella sounded like he was sure having fun that evening. He's the type that is a taper's nightmare, but he paid his money too!

Great show--good point Jerry:goodie:

4. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

OMG what a story. Deadicated.....

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

What production problems were there with So Many Roads? I bought mine a couple months after it came out and didn't have any problem with it.

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

It's said that during Jerry's amazing solo on HTH, he dropped to his knees, uncharacteristically.

Yeah, that Whoo-Whooer was really obnoxious. What Deadhead hasn't had some similar "too-high knucklehead" nearby during a show? But they were all part of the circus.

7. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

MANY MANY apologies. I meant "The Golden Road (1965 - 1973)." There were no problems with "So Many Roads" that i'm aware of. Sorry about that.

8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

It's a great set, imo, with some cool songs and it makes nice filler for the shows that are just over 3 cds. I was quite happy to see the Scarlet>Fire from Hamilton and the Jam out of Foolish Heart from MSG Sept 18 1990, having attended both shows. The song Eternity, written by Weir and Willie Dixon just before the latter died, is also present and a worthy addition to the set. And of course, there's some killer 60 and 70's stuff, the vintage Dead that never fails to please.

I've been lucky with having a few official releases of shows/songs I've seen....the above two, DP 9, Dozin' At the Knick..I saw all three nights...and VftVIII, the RFK 1991 show, which also has filler from the previous years RFK show, including my first Darkstar: this 1990 show is one of only two GD ticket stubs I'm missing...I think it melted in my hand during Darkstar....:D

As an aside, I recently found great unofficial video from my very first GD show, the July 4th GD performance at Rich Stadium in 1986. I knew some of the show were broadcast for Farm Aid..three songs, The Wheel >Miracle>Uncle John's Band...but what i found is 9 of the 11 songs played in the second set. Apparently the satellite feed started with Cold Rain and Snow, the beginning of the second set, and it ends just after Gimme Some Lovin' , leaving only GDTRFB and Lovelight from the second set and US Blues, the encore. Someone intercepted the feed and got it all, not just the Farm Aid broadcasted portion...very cool.

I attended the Giants Stadium shows in 1991 and one night they opened with Eyes, and I know it was broadcast along with one or two other songs, so I'm hoping there's a copy of the satellite feed for that one as well, with extra songs not broadcast.

Anyone else had luck with official releases representing shows they attended?

9. Jerry

Some.

Closing of Winterland 12/31/78 DVD and CD sets.
    Dicks Picks 12 Boston Garden 6/24/73
    Dicks Picks 15 Englishtown, NJ 9/13/77
    Dicks Picks 25 New Haven/Springfield 5/10 & 11 1978 (at both shows)

I'm pretty sure I was at the 12/26/79 show of Dicks Picks 5

Dead Download series Vol. 1 NY Palladium 4/30/77
    Dead Download series Vol. 4 Capitol Passaic, NJ 6/18/76 (or was the 17th or 19th ??????)

10. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Are you on the DVD anywhere? I'm going to think of you next time I watch this!

Which is usually Satruday mornings at wife's request! :love:

11. Jerry

Yeah, actually I am! My friend in California called me to "thank me" for blocking him out of a shot at the 2am break. The camera panned across our little group for a few seconds. I'm in some still shots in one of the Dead books too, under 'neath Bill Graham's joint as it nears the stage. We were about 15-20 feet from the stage on the right side. What a night/morning!

PS What a nice wife you have!!!!

12. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I'll be looking! What should I look for?

That is her favorite Scarlet/Fire of all time. Something about that one just does it for her. She always like the Dead but this one really converted her. She is all Jerry now!

:righton:

13. Jerry

I'll check when I get home, but I think it's about in the beginning of the 2am break, and I'm standing around talking, dressed in t-shirt, with aviator-style glasses and longish hair parted in the middle. I'll get you the exact time. Thanks for asking! GREAT ""Staggerlee" too. I wished they could have captured the whole acapella "We Bid You Goodnight" from 6:30am.

14. musicalbeds

Wow, an excellent selection, mine pales in comparison, but while the music was quite different in our era's, the fun was perennial, eh?

You reminded me that I saw the Pine Knob shows in 1991...so there's still a download I didn't count....can't remember what volume in the series it is, but I know I was there!

This photo of me was taken at Pine Knob.... I'd been on summer tour since....Buckeye I think, or maybe one earlier. I know I was on tour for a couple of weeks straight before heading home to patch my bones. It's all a blur when you don't have the tickets in front of you.

Attached Files:

15. Jerry

Where's Pine Knob?

Those were the best times of my life. Too bad they had to end, eh?

16. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

:shake:

I didn't live those times but I feel as though I did.

17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Some of the best times that I'll never remember! ;) :D

I don't think a single one of the shows I attended have been officially released. :(

18. Jerry

There's still time!:righton:

19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

All of these Dead threads are making me pine for Spring Tour. It happens every year...

20. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Ahh..the 6/17/91 Giants Stadium "Dark Star" show!!

A great show where the band (Especially Jerry & Hornsby) "teases" Dark Star throughout the show! Very cool..

21. JayB

JayB Senior Member

6/17/91 - Giants Stadium

Set 1: Eyes Of The World > Walkin' Blues ; Brown Eyed Women ; Dark Star Tease > When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Loose Lucy ; Cassidy ; Might As Well

Set 2: Dark Star Tease > Saint Of Circumstance > Ship Of Fools > Dark Star Tease > Truckin' > New Speedway Boogie > Dark Star Tease > Uncle John's Band > Dark Star Theme> Drums > Space > China Doll > Playing In The Band > Dark Star Tease > Sugar Magnolia
    Encore The Weight

I was at this show-loved it. When they broke out "New Speedway Boogie" and stressed the line; "This Darkness has GOT to Give!" (a reference to "Dark Star" IMO) we all cheered!

22. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I have that too, you can see me briefly in the front dancing like a fool during Gimme Some Lovin', I was on 2 hits of Gooney Bird! That was my favorite show of the tour, and the Cold Rain > Fire was one of my penultimate experiences, I remeber this certain riff in Fire where I was watching Jerry's fingers....I'm awaiting the SBD of that show, can't wait !!! After the Dead's set we took off before Dylan's set 'cause we were freaking out and made it back to the motel parking lot we were sleeping on, just in time to see some guy who was gonna drive us to the liquor store cleave off his entire calf on a jagged license plate that was sticking out from the front of a car...the whole thing came off, you could see his bone and veins, and a large pulsing pool of neon blood slowing made it's way downhill towards me as my equally dosed friend calmy took off his shirt, put the guys flesh back on his leg and tied his shirt around it...the next morning I was on the front cover of the newspaper grinning like a fool, framed by an American flag someone was waving, good times!!!! :love:

23. musicalbeds

I was in the best shape of my life after tour...dancing my *** off....

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

What production problems were there with The Golden Road box?

25. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

What were you wearing? I'll have to check out my copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.