Live Grateful Dead Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

He's the guy in the tie-dye..;)

2. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Nightly variation is the reason

With regards to the original poster's question of why there are so many tapes of the Grateful Dead, starting as early as 1966, I think some of the people here have given a few of the answers, such as the release of large numbers of soundboards, etc. However, I think there is a more essential reason for the large numbers of both audience tapes and soundboards of the G.Dead compared with any other band in rock and roll: simply, they played exciting music that was DIFFERENT from night to night. There is no other band worth collecting humongous amounts of tapes of, because no other band varied their sets or their improvisation as much. People who went to see them even very early on realized that there was something that was worth saving, and went to great trouble to do that. The band themselves also, regardless of statements like "once we're done playing it, the fans can have it", also made efforts to preserve recordings of themselves, and listened back to them to improve their playing. Rooms full of reel-to-reels of every show night after night simply do not survive for 40 years without someone investing a lot of effort.

I know that some of what I wrote above will be disputed, but I am pretty convinced that the unique level of variation and improvisation that the band played is the core reason for the amount of tapes which were made and which have survived.

3. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member Thread Starter

maybe i'll be stepping on my own tail here, however, "collecting" The Grateful Dead (for me, at least) seems a bit ol' fashioned. that is, folks, you gotta earn it. even with "Archive" sites and the like, you don't just click the mouse and it's all yers. i guess, you attempt to get the shows you attended first,
    or a run of yer favorite year - but even then, isn't networking, communicating and sharing all part of the operation. yer collection must be pieced together, from official sources, web-connections or, dare i say, friends. and then how ya personally store or catalog this stockpile is a science in itself. my point, it ain't easy, is it? which to me is part of the joy - remember when you had just a few shows and you listened over and over again (same with records) - and became familiar with the music and nuance of performance. and isn't it interesting that no matter how much you try, you'll never have it all. heck, the band, et al, doesn't either. yep, here it truly is the journey and not the destination.
    now send me more 1970 shows!
    thanks for the ear,
    -mike

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The second set of 9/19/70, from Dark Star to the end is one of the hottest shows you'll ever hear. PM me if you need this. :wave:

5. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Beyond Description

Based on what I've read there were two problems with the later Beyond Description box set.

6. MikeP5877

Aside from the problem with Minglewood Blues on the Shakedown Sheet CD, what was the other problem with Beyond Description?

7. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

If you want grizzled old tape stories from grizzled old tape collectors;
    There was that pouring over lists and ratings, then anxiously checking the mailbox daily, and triumphantly running inside, doing an altitude adjustment...and thanking the heavens above that I was finally listening to a C- quality Anthem era show.

8. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Make That One

Make that one, as I mistakenly read Minglewood Blues and Shakedown Street as two songs. I have the other two box sets and am still budgeting to purchase the Beyond Description box.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No disputing at all what you said, my friend! There's a famous dude who recorded like EVERYTHING Coltrane played live, and had hundreds or thousands of tapes. Would he had done so if Trane played "My Favorite Things" the same way every time?

Welcome to our forum!

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Disc 2 Bonus disc. 2am break. 7:15-7:18. :righton:

11. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

:D

:righton:

I'll check it out~!

12. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

There is a great sounding SBD/AUD matrix that has been making the rounds for awhile. If you've only heard the SBD try to find the matrix, especially if you love this set. It's well worth hearing. I think it's at bt.etree

Chris

13. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I was at this show also and there is a pretty decent soundboard of this available if you look around. If you listen Hornsby is teasing Dark Star in just about every single song in the second set. Not just in the lead in and out of the songs.

There was a massive thunderstorm and downpour before the show and it cleared up right before the show started. I always believed that was the reason for the Eyes opener. I remember getting there right before the first set started and when they played eyes I thought I had somehow missed the first set. Luckily we didn't.

14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

6-17-91: well it looks like I'm gonna have to get this sbd, breaking my rule of not getting any shows I didn't see past 1985...:) this looks incredible, and New Speedway Boogie is one of my favorites!

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Box Of Rain

Can anyone recommend stellar live versions of "Box Of Rain" from any of the readily available Grateful Dead releases (Dick's Picks, etc.)? It's among my top 5 GD tunes and the only version I have is the one from the Fallout From The Phil Zone cd. Thanks! :righton:

16. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

The only officially released live versions of "Box of Rain" that I'm aware of are the one on Fallout From the Phil Zone, one on one of the later Dick's Picks releases from '73 (can't remember which volume it is though) and it's also on one of the View From the Vault videos. None of these versions are particularly outstanding, imo.

The best version I ever heard was the one from the Philly Spectrum from 3/24/86. It was the second time they played it live after a nearly 13 year absence and they absolutely nailed it. There's good audience and soundboard recordings of this show available if you know where to look.

17. MikeP5877

Not officially released, but I have a soft spot for the Box of Rain from 7/9/95, the last song of their last show. The only Dead show I attended. I wish they'd have closed out the So Many Roads box with that performance, instead of So Many Roads from that same show (the SMR from 10/1/94 was better anyway, but I digress....)

18. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 28 has one...

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. catman

catman Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why so few tapes from '66 - '67 ?

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I don't know, but I would give just about anything to dig up a recording of The Grateful Dead at the Psychedelic Supermarket in Boston in 1967. A friend of mine went to one of those shows-I think they played there three or four times-and he would absolutely flip if I could present him with a recording. Maybe in 2019 it'll show up on Dave Lemieux's desk. :)

23. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

24. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

What was the exact show date?

25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Deadlists shows Psychedelic Supermarket shows on 12/29 and 30. There is no indication that tapes exist. Doesn't mean they don't, but they aren't in wide circulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.