Live on Saturdays: Video Reviews and Summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riskylogic, Feb 15, 2020.

1. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you very much, but that would be USD to CAD. But yeah, the fact that it happened with a Canadian band (I do have Canadian income) makes it even weirder. A bayesian cut and paste algorithm at work, I guess. :shrug:

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

youngchoulin and riskylogic like this.
  3. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I bought the Boz Skaggs: Greatest Hits Live for the surround mix (it was getting good reviews elsewhere) and was equally impressed by the music and band. I agree that this is a must have for the 'ol video collection.

If not already acquired, the DVDA Dig is also highly recommended if you can score a used copy at a decent price.

Get on the Natch.

4. riskylogic

A Night at the Odeon

[​IMG]

Concert Performance by Queen
    Released 20 November 2015
    Recorded 24 December 1975
    Venue Hammersmith Odeon, London, UK
    Genre Heavy metal, progressive rock
    Length 63 minutes
    Label Eagle Vision, Universal
    Producers Justin Shirley-Smith, Josh Macrae, Kris Fredriksson

A Night at the Odeon is a live album and concert video by the British rock band Queen. The album is the first official release of the band's Christmas Eve performance at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975, filmed by the BBC. The show was broadcast on BBC2 and BBC Radio 1, and included one of the first live performances of "Bohemian Rhapsody". It is the band's most popular bootleg.

The 24 December 1975 gig at the Hammersmith Odeon was the final date of Queen's UK tour in support of the album A Night At The Opera, which had been released a few weeks previously, and had already gone platinum.[1] The single "Bohemian Rhapsody" was in the middle of its 9-week run at number one in the UK charts at the time of the gig, which was one of the first times the song was played live. Queen had already played four shows at the Odeon earlier during the tour and received positive reviews in the press, with Sounds Magazine saying "everything about them says that they are more important than any other band you've heard".

The gig was advertised in Melody Maker as "Britain's most regal band awaits your presence ..." and all 5,000 tickets sold out. Guitarist Brian May later recalled: "This concert was very special because it was the first time we ever played a whole show completely live on TV". Lead singer Freddie Mercury played a white Bechstein grand piano imported especially for the gig, and wore white and black catsuits, changing costume halfway through the show.

Though A Night at the Opera was in the charts at the time of show, the band's setlist mainly drew from earlier songs that worked well on stage, including May's solo guitar spot in the middle of the show, and a medley of old rock'n'roll songs towards the end. The band only played the ballad section of "Bohemian Rhapsody" as part of a medley with older material, and the only other Opera track was "God Save The Queen" played on tape at the very end of the show.

The show was broadcast on BBC2 as part of the music programme The Old Grey Whistle Test with the audio later broadcast on BBC Radio 1. Queen had appeared on the show several times previously when studio tracks were played alongside custom music videos. Whistle Test presenter Bob Harris introduced the band onstage and later recalled that Queen "were in party mood at the Hammersmith Odeon that night". Unfortunately, the cameras were packed away before the group's second encore, so only the audio of "Seven Seas of Rhye" and "See What a Fool I've Been" were recorded.

Because of the high-quality recording and filming, and nationwide television and radio broadcast, the gig has become the most popular bootleg recording of Queen. Many of the songs in the band's Hammersmith set were dropped on later tours, and did not appear on official live albums such as Live Killers and Live At Wembley '86.

The original multi-track tapes of the show were believed to be lost, before being recovered in 2009 and restored by Queen sound engineers Justin Shirley-Smith, Kris Fredriksson, and Josh Macrae. A 50-minute performance of the show was broadcast that year, again on BBC2.

Personnel
    Freddie Mercury – lead vocals, piano
    Brian May – guitar, backing vocals, ukulele on "Bring Back That Leroy Brown"
    Roger Taylor – drums, percussion, backing vocals
    John Deacon – bass guitar, backing vocals, triangle on "Killer Queen"

Track Listing
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Now I'm Here" May 4:38
    2. "Ogre Battle" Mercury 5:22
    3. "White Queen (As It Began)" May 5:31
    4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" Mercury 2:28
    5. "Killer Queen" Mercury 2:08
    6. "The March of the Black Queen" Mercury 1:29
    7. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Reprise) Mercury 1:02
    8. "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" Mercury 1:27
    9. "Brighton Rock" May 2:27
    10. "Guitar Solo" May 6:37
    11. "Son and Daughter" May 1:42
    12. "Keep Yourself Alive" May 4:28
    13. "Liar" Mercury 8:50
    14. "In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited" Mercury 5:20
    15. "Big Spender" Coleman, Fields 1:25
    16. "Jailhouse Rock / Stupid Cupid / Be-Bop-A-Lula / Jailhouse Rock" Various Artists 6:14
    17. "God Save the Queen" Traditional, Arrangement by May 1:25

Version Control
    There’s both a DVD and an SD-bluray. The SD stands for “standard definition”, which means the video is no better than a DVD. I have the bluray. Amazon.

The Concert
    Hey it’s 4:3 video from a 70’s TV production; pretty good VHS quality though. There is both PCM stereo and DTS HD 5.1, but there’s not much difference – just a tiny bit of ambience in the rears on the latter.

"Now I'm Here"
    From Sheer Heart Attack. The show starts out in the dark, but eventually the lights pop on and we figured out that Mercury and May are front left and right, Taylor and his drum set are rear center, and Deacon wanders around somewhere in the middle.

"Ogre Battle"
    From Queen II. Back in the dark, and a meandering green spotlight shows bits of the stage. Stage then lights up green, May with backing vocals.

"White Queen (As It Began)"
    From Queen II. Stage lit brightly now. After basically nothing on the first two songs, some nice guitar reverb in rears on this one. Freddie makes his way over to a piano on the left side of the stage.

"Bohemian Rhapsody"
    From A Night at the Opera. Mercury at the piano, just plays the beginning of the song

"Killer Queen"
    From Sheer Heart Attack. Continues as part of a medley, May and Taylor backing vocals

"The March of the Black Queen"
    From Queen II. May takes over, Mercury briefly gets up from the piano.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" (Reprise)
    From A Night at the Opera. Medley concludes with the end of the song. Only song from the new album, and they only play about half of it.

"Bring Back That Leroy Brown"
    From Sheer Heart Attack. Mercury still at the piano, May plays a ukulele.

"Brighton Rock"
    From Sheer Heart Attack. Another May song, Freddie just sings.

"Guitar Solo"
    Stage goes mostly dark, May playing mostly by himself – but I think Taylor is still out there too. May plays with lots of reverb and echo – and it echoes in the rears. After little (“White Queen”) or nothing (the rest of it), this is a standout surround track. There’s also double imaging to compliment the echoing. Taylor and Deacon join in at the end. Taylor seems to have a pool of water on top one of his drums; it splashes every time he plays it.

"Son and Daughter"
    From s/t debut. Freddie is back, and he’s changed from a white suit to a black one. This starts a sequence of songs from their first album, which is more of a straight rock album than any of their subsequent ones.

"Keep Yourself Alive"
    From s/t debut. May had a bigger presence on the first album than any of the subsequent albums, and it shows here. Also, a drum solo from Taylor.

"Liar"
    From s/t debut. My favorite song from my favorite Queen album. Another May showpiece. Clips goes here:

"In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited"
    From Sheer Heart Attack. Mercury back on the piano, and I think they over did it with the dry ice.

"Big Spender"
    We’re into the encores now, and everyone has a new set of clothes. May is in black instead of white, Taylor is shirtless, Deacon with a baseball cap, Mercury comes on in bathrobe that he takes off pretty quickly, leaving him to finish the concert in his underwear.

"Jailhouse Rock / Stupid Cupid / Be-Bop-A-Lula / Jailhouse Rock"
    Another medley with balloons in the audience, bubbles on stage. Mercury tries to get the crowd to sing with limited success.

"God Save the Queen"
    Plays while credits run.
    ______

The set list is dominated by songs from the first three albums. A Night at the Opera had just been released, but “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the only title from that album. That mostly suits me just fine; I’m an early Queen aficionado but a little more from the new one would have made it perfect. The video is no great shakes and neither is the audio really. There’s only notable surround on two tracks, but one of them is really good. I don’t think it uses the center channel at all.

Music – 2.5
    Sound quality – 2 (still sounds a little bootleggy)
    Video presentation – 2
    Video quality – 1
    Surround – 2 (only because the guitar solo is a high 3)

I probably should have saved the 3$ and gotten the DVD instead.

5. riskylogic

Slipstream

[​IMG]

Music Video by Jethro Tull
    Released 18 July 1981
    Recorded 1980
    Genre Progressive Rock; Art Rock
    Length 57:14
    Label Polygram Video ; Chrysalis
    Director David Mallet

Slipstream is a video by Jethro Tull, recorded during the 1980 A tour, released for the first time in 1981. Slipstream mixed the concert tour with the videos recorded and directed by David Mallett. The London's Hammersmith Odeon was used for exterior scenes, but the main concert footage was actually from an American performance in Los Angeles, at the Los Angeles Sports Arena (as heard on the Magic Piper ROIO), filmed in November 1980. The music videos are:

"Dun Ringill"
    A video inspired by the Stormwatch album cover, filmed at a beach near Beachy Head.

"Sweet Dream"
    In this a vampire-themed homage to horror movies, Aqualung is pursued by a vampire and — like the Prisoner — giant pink balloons. Meanwhile, a ballerina pirouettes (recalling A Passion Play), a giant tarantula emits death rays, and an evil projectionist starts his movie. Luckily, a Nun supplies the right equipment to defeat the vampire.

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll"
    The elderly band is in a giant pinball machine, drinking their tea like the Alice in Wonderland tea party. Features Hot Gossip dancer Perri Lister.

"Fylingdale Flyer"
    The band is in an air traffic control tower, when they see some impending disaster. The cover of A is taken from this video. RAF Fylingdales (note the 's') is the site of a Ballistic Missile Early Warning System radar situated in the North York Moors National Park, which explains the lyric to the song.

Personnel
    Ian Anderson - flute, vocals
    Martin Barre - electric guitar
    Mark Craney - drums, bass in "Skating Away"
    Dave Pegg - bass, bouzouki in "Skating Away"
    Eddie Jobson - keyboards, electric violin, electric mandolin in "Skating Away"

Track Listing
    All tracks are written by Ian Anderson with additional music material from Eddie Jobson; arranged by Jethro Tull.

No. Title Length
    1. "Introduction" 3:27
    2. "Black Sunday" 6:23
    3. "Dun Ringill" (music video) 2:37
    4. "Fylingdale Flyer" (music video) 4:03
    5. "Songs from the Wood" 3:35
    6. "Heavy Horses" 7:25
    7. "Sweet Dream" (music video) 4:04
    8. "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll" (music video) 5:37
    9. "Skating Away" 3:36
    10. "Aqualung" 8:57
    11. "Locomotive Breath-Black Sunday (reprise)" 6:25
    12. "Credits"

Version Control
    It was originally released on VHS, Capacitance Electronic Disc, and laserdisc, and was released as a (bootleg) DVD in Brazil in 2003 (that’s where the cover image comes from). It is also included in the (2004) bonus DVD edition of A. This bonus-disc DVD was the only official release on DVD until it was released as part of the 40th anniversary box set of A in April 2021. I got mine from Importcds.

The Video
    The image is 4:3, with better quality for the concert footage than the music videos. While the former almost qualifies as a decent DVD quality, the music video footage is definitely of the VHS variety.

"Introduction"
    This is also the first track on the Live in LA CDs/DVD. “Slipstream” is a song on Aqualung, but I’m not sure this has anything to do with it. Audio starts with wind blowing in surround, then some keys also in surround, , some crowd noise in the rear. Video begins with a shot of the Cliffs of Dover as seen from the channel and then we circle overhead to find Aqualung (I initially thought it was Anderson, but then decided it wasn’t) napping in the field with a baby carriage nearby. Three large pink balls appear on the scene, and they are utterly terrifying apparently as Aqualung takes running, which results in the baby carriage flying of the cliff and explodes. The pink balls chase Aqualung into the Hammersmith Odeon, which happens to be conveniently relocated to Kent County. Once he gets through the front door he is on a screen in LA with the opening credits running.

"Black Sunday"
    From Aqualung. Starts off with swirling guitar – we have a surround mix folks. Once the song gets going, Anderon flute and vocals are in center channel, lots of reverb in the rears. Anderson is front and center, Craney is behind him, both Pegg and Barre are on the right, and Jobson has the left side of the stage to himself; his keyboards are in back with Craney. Jobson plays two keyboards at once briefly and I think the parts are split front and rear.

"Dun Ringill"
    From Stormwatch. Briefly back inside the Odeon with Aqualung with different voices front and back. Then we’re out in the channel again below the cliffs, Anderson is sitting on a risk with an acoustic guitar, Pegg with electric bass. Backing vocals are in the rear - the mix seems more discrete than in the previous track. No crowd noice either, making me think this might be from a studio source

"Fylingdale Flyer"
    From A. The band is in an aircraft control tower, there a group of five boys who resemble the bands member, and there’s a scary woman with a stocking over her face. The surround mix is once again very discrete, with backing vocals guitar and keys in rear (i.e. it’s a typical Wilson mix).

"Songs from the Wood"
    From Songs from the Wood. We’re back in L.A., and the surround mix is less discrete, but the vocals from Pegg and Jobson seem to be coming predominantly from the rear, along with a little crowd noise. Lots of video editing tricks going on in this one, which are pretty cool.

"Heavy Horses"
    From Heavy Horses. Still in L.A., starts off with Barre solo which is isolates right front. Jobson has has moved up from the keyboards with a violin which is isolated left front, Anderson with an acoustic guitar. But then he switches to flute, which shows up in the rear. Jobson returns to keyboards, Anderson back to acoustic guitar, Pegg backing vocals in rear. Anderson directs Craney drumming at the finale

"Sweet Dream"
    From Stand Up. Back in the Odeon, watching a film that features Anderson as a vampire. We’ve got a very discrete mix again, with mostly keys in the rear. Aqualung is here too, and Count Anderson, the pink balls, and the scary stocking face lady are all after him. Fortunately, a nun brings out a bracketed A symbol that seems to help ward them off.

"Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll"
    From Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll. Seems to be a pinball wizard set, but there’s five old wizards out there who resemble the band members. The mix is once again very discrete with instruments (horns, strings, female backing vocals) that weren’t out there on the LA stage. The soundtrack here must be studio sourced, or at the very heavily supplemented with pre- or post-recorded material. At the end, the band members revert to their younger selves, and Anderson is indeed Aqualung with much longer hair than he has in the concert footage. Aqualung gets kicked out of the Odeon.

"Skating Away"
    From War Child. Back in LA, Anderson with acoustic guitar, Craney playing bass, Pegg playing acoustic, Jobson playing small electric guitar of some sort. Mostly all in front but there is some percussion in the rear from somewhere. Aqualung briefly shown wandering around a bit. Don’t see Barre at all.

"Aqualung"
    From Aqualung. Aqualung is sitting on a park bench. Well, of course. The rest of the video was just a prelude to this crowning moment. But we go back to L.A., and Jobson plays violin for a bit again and it’s a mostly ambient mix. The video editor goes wild again. Of course the clip has to go here:

End of set

"Locomotive Breath-Black Sunday (reprise)"
    From Aqualung. Encore starts out with heavy video editing, but it soon comes to resemble normal concert footage. Jobson violin in the rear, and Anderson beats a pink balloon off the stage.

“Credits”
    Replays last minute of concert with the Odeon launching into space leaving Aqualung to ponder the meaning of it all at the edge of the cliff. I’m pondering too.
    _______

So is this bonus material from the A box, or is the A 5.1 mix bonus material from the Slipsteam box? I don’t know yet, but this is the first thing I listened too; Sunday doesn’t come until tomorrow. Perhaps I’ll weigh in on the totality of the A La Mode book set at that point.

Anyway, it’s a very nice video. Even though it’s VHS quality on the whole, it’s fun to watch the whole way through, but it is very short which probably the second main knock against it. But the set list is great with lots of title tracks, the audio quality is excellent, and the surround is good to great with, with the seemingly studio sourced audio for the music video tracks coming out ahead.

However, make no mistake, this is NOT a concert video. It is just a few songs from a concert (but an audio version of the entire concert is included in the A La Mode set), four of the songs are pure music videos, and there is lots of heavy video editing of the concert footage that voids any sense that you are viewing a live concert.

Music – 3 (too short though)
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 1
    Surround – 2-3 (all good, but the music video tracks have better surround than the concert tracks)

6. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

A great write-up; I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my copy of the box. A small detail: you state that "Black Sunday" is from Aqualung, but isn't it a key track on A? According to a review of the set by Lorne Murphy, "The home video film Slipstream (previously issued with the 2004 A remaster) is newly mixed in surround."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  7. riskylogic

Yes, you are right. I've only listened to A once so far, and the title sounds like it's from Aqualung and I didn't look it up. It's an album I had never heard before getting the book set. Even though it seems to be studio sourced, I'm pretty sure the audio for the video tracks is different from what is found on the original versions. In particular; the original "Too Old" didn't have have Eddie Jobson.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  8. riskylogic

Seven Moons Live

[​IMG]

Concert Performance by Jack Bruce & Robin Trower
    Released 2009
    Recorded 29 Feb 2009
    Venue Concertgebouw De Vereeniging, Nijmegen, Netherlands
    Genre Blues, Rock
    Length 90 min
    Label Ruf records
    Director Henk van Engen

Seven Moons Live is a live album and concert video of a performance on February 28, 2009 in the Netherlands. The set list consists of 10 of the 11 songs from their new album Seven Moons, plus four other songs.

Personnel
    Jack Bruce - Bass, Vocals
    Robin Trower - Guitar, Vocals
    Gary Husband - Drums

Track Listing
    1. Seven Moons 5:25
    2. Lives Of Clay 5:37
    3. Distant Places Of The Heart 6:07
    4. Sunshine Of Your Love 8:09
    5. Carmen 4:56
    6. She’s Not the One
    7. So Far To Yesterday 3:49
    8. Just Another Day 6:49
    9. Perfect Place 4:25
    10. Bad Case Of Celebrity 5:31
    11. The Last Door 5:22
    12. Come To Me 6:46
    13. White Room 7:17
    14. Politician 6:54

Tracks times are from the CD, which does not contain “She’s Not the One”.

Version Control
    Both CD amd DVD versions were released in 2009. There are both new and used copies available. Amazon. Discogs.

The Concert
    The video is widescreen with decent DVD quality video. Even though it doesn’t say so on the cover, there is a DTS 5.1 option.

“Seven Moons”
    From Seven Moons. Not only are 10 of 11 songs from the new album included, they are played in the same order, with only the last song (“I’m Home”) omitted. However, there are four other songs interspersed – I’ll just point those out.

Just three guys out there – Bruce is front right, Trower is front left, Husband is centered in back. Amps on either side of the drum set.

After Bruce is done singing, Trower takes over. I think that will be the theme for the night. Not much of a surround mix, after trying out the DTS for a bit, I decided the stereo is better. It has a higher bit rate than either of the surround mixes.

“Lives Of Clay”
    Trower starts things off, then Bruce sings, then a Trower show, Bruce sings some more, and more Trower.

“Distant Places Of The Heart”
    Mostly Bruce singing to start, mostly Trower guitar to finish.

“Sunshine Of Your Love”
    From Cream Disraeli Gears. Starts out like the normal song with Trower imitating Clapton. But then Trower starts imitating Hendrix.

“Carmen”
    From B.L.T. Bruce and Trower collaborated on two albums in the early 80’s, and this is the one and only song here from those efforts. Since Seven Moons is a much better album, I’m OK with that. Trower starts it off, Bruce sings but he’s having trouble with this one. Trower finishes with no trouble at all.

“She’s Not the One”
    Back to the new album, but it sounds like old school Bruce and old school Trower at the same time. It’s a really good combination.

“So Far To Yesterday”
    Mostly Bruce singing, with Trower accompanying him.

“Just Another Day”
    Bruce gets the first solo, but Trower gets a longer one at the end. Husband is working up a sweat.

“Perfect Place”
    Trower leads it off and Bruce sings along.

“Bad Case Of Celebrity”
    These seems to be more a Bruce song with Trower hanging in. Pretty basic blues riffs with lots of Trower fretwork on display.

“The Last Door”
    I’m thinking this is the best song on the album, Trower tears it up once again. Clip goes here:

“Come To Me”
    Not an old Cream song, but like many of the songs on Seven Moons it sounds like it could be. Bruce likes to watch Trower play too.

“White Room”
    From Cream Wheels of Fire. OK, so this is an old Cream song. Once they’ve played the five minute song by the book, Trower takes off for a two minute solo. End of set.

“Politician”
    From Cream Wheels of Fire. Another Cream song for the encore. This time there’s about three minutes of the old song before Trower gets into some heavy elaboration.
    _______

Seven Moons is a really good album. The best thing either Bruce or Trower did in many decades. But there are a few weak songs so I’m not going to give the set full marks. I’d say there wasn’t much of a stage show, but Trower is a show all by himself. Not much in the way of surround, but there’s three guys playing blues; what can you do?

Music – 2.5
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 2
    Surround – 1

9. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Recently picked up the 3-disc Woodstock blu ray for $15 new, based on this glowing recommendation in another surround thread:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVFUNBG

[​IMG]

Like many in my generation, the Triple-LP soundtrack and movie changed my life in the summer of '70, age 16.
    A documentary of the famous fest, with 30 performances by the top rock acts of the day.
    Saw it multiple times in theaters & partying in drive-ins at the time, re-watched on tv over the years, but never got it on digital media.

Woodstock (film) - Wikipedia

Coincidentally, Hendrix's performance that was edited out of the original popped up in another thread as a pick for greatest guitar solo ever.
    It's part of the additional forty minutes added to the 25th anniversary director's cut.

I have to agree this is a stunner.

The restored director's cut has so much improved sharpness and detail, it's a revelation in 1080p.
    Every ring, custom guitar strap, bead, embroidery, not to mention fretwork, is clear and bright.
    (A young Martin Scorsese was involved in the original filming and editing.)

Sonically, the soundtrack is in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD 48k.
    As quoted above, much of the sound is surprisingly good, full-fidelity.
    (Eddie Kramer was on the production team .)

Typical concert mix with ambiance in the rears, not much center, but excellent wide stereo with accurate correlation to where the musicians are placed on stage.
    For example, The Who, Entwistle bass left, Townshend guitar right.

I find it uncompressed, very "crankable."
    With a little bass management one can dial up a concert experience from back of crowd to front row.

The authoring of the blu ray allows selection of 50 scenes in the 224 minute film.
    As half the movie is a documentary of the festival, one can easily spot the performances in the icons at the bottom of the screen and go to them directly, skipping the partying naked hippies at one's discretion to enjoy the music on its own.

The added attraction is three and a half hours of additional performances on two bonus discs.
    (Take a hit or a sip every time you see a fringed buckskin vest.)
    Filming and sound are high quality, though the 5.1 is a step down to Dolby DD.

Again, the authoring allows easy track selection,
    Disc 2 allows creation of a custom playlist.

Highlights for me are:
    • Canned Heat's classic line-up, On The Road Again featuring doomed genius Al Wilson, who would die a year later
    • The Who's Tommy material with set-ending We're Not Gonna Take It -> My Generation, severely edited in the feature (Different camera angles are used in scenes duplicated from the movie.)
    • Creedence at the top of their game
    • A s**t-hot Johnny Winter, backed by future SRV Double Trouble rhythm section
    • Thirty-seven minutes of Turn On Your Love Light from the Dead (random tripping dude babbling into the mic to start, Tom Constanten on organ)
    • Jefferson Airplane in their prime with Nicky Hopkins on grand piano
    • Hendrix Spanish Castle Magic
    Complete list in the film wiki linked above.

My rating using the "risky" scale:

Music – 3
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 3
    Surround – 2
    Price and availability +1 bonus point

10. riskylogic

According to wiki, the first disc with the movie is the same as the 2009 two disc version, which I thought was distinctly VHS-like. But the 2014 second disc is alleged to have better video, plus there are 16 more tracks on the the third disc. I may have to buy this for the fourth time.

11. mark winstanley

I've never seen it but I'm looking forward to checking it out

jeffreybh likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

Marillion - A Sunday Night Above The Rain.

Watching this at the moment, after really enjoying the Sounds That Can't Be Heard 5.1.
    There are two blurays of this available I believe. One is one bluray, and a couple of cd's. Then there is this one, that is three blurays. Two video concerts and the album in 5.1.
    I'm watching the second concert.

If you can get it, it is a very good set.
    The album is excellent, as is the 5.1.
    The second concert on here is very good video quality. The 5.1 is solid.

Not doing a big review, too tired. :)

Gaza is an intense way to start a concert

13. riskylogic

I’ve got the single Blu-ray version with just the first concert.

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

I thought you may, that's part of why I didn't go through it. I just think it's very good :righton:

JulesRules likes this.
  15. riskylogic

The second concert is all yours :cool:.

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Referring to "Woodstock 4oth Anniversary The Directors Cut Revisted" The content of the first disc is the same but the sound and picture is better. Plus you get the 2 great bonus discs which also have great 5.1 sound and picture.

17. riskylogic

Ordered. Amazon still selling the two-disc version for more.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  18. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Selling the 2 disc version for more than the 3 disc version?

19. riskylogic

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  20. Public Image Limited - Live at Rockpalast 31st October 1983
    Public Image Limited (PiL) - 1983 October 31, Rockpalast (Zeche Bochum, Germany) HQ - YouTube
    https://www.discogs.com/Public-Image-Limited-Live-At-Rockpalast-1983/release/3486535 DVD
    https://www.discogs.com/Public-Image-Limited-Live-At-Rockpalast-1983/release/3419328 CD

01 - Public Image
    02 - Annalisa
    03 - Religion
    04 - Memories
    05 - Flowers of Romance
    06 - Solitaire
    07 - Chant
    08 - Anarchy in the U.K.
    09 - (This is not a) Love song
    10 - Low Life
    11 - Under the House
    12 - Bad Life
    13 - Public Image (Reprise)
    53:52

Bonus content:
    1. John Lydon Interview

2. Soundcheck
    Annalisa
    Chant

John Lydon Vocals
    Martin Atkins Drums
    Joe Guida Guitar
    Lou Bernadi Bass
    Arthur Stead Keyboard & Guitar

Concert Audio is uncompressed PCM Stereo but the soundcheck is only 192khz

This was a bit of a nice surprise given my previous low opinion of this period and the dire "Live In Tokyo 83"
    I stumbled across it on you tube and was so taken with it i ordered it on CD, DVD & Vinyl

1. Public Image
    I don't like this arrangement with the Farfisa organ sound, cheesy

2. Annalisa
    great! the band lock into a post-punk disco groove and burn

3. Religion
    great spirited rendition, lydon is snarling away putting some venom into his rant against the church
    I don't detect the boredom that the fodderstompf fan website claims is present
    this version features the Organ Intro written by Tom Zvonchek

4. Memories
    one of the highlights of the show, Arthur Stead straps on a guitar and the 2 guitars create a respectable reproduction of the metallic sheets of sound on the original

5. Flowers of Romance
    the show has a great powerful drum sound so this track comes across very well

6. Solitaire
    nothing could ever beat the scorching version played by the 1984 band but this enjoyable rendition is an improvement on live in Tokyo
    it sounds like Arthur Stead may be adding second guitar at times, i'm not sure

7. Chant
    good version marred only by Lou Bernardi's habit of occasionally throwing in inappropriate funky disco octaves

8. Anarchy in the U.K.
    a definite improvement on the infamous Tube version
    Arthur Stead may be adding extra guitar here like he did on the final UK dates of the tour

9. (This is not a) Love song
    the song is still in its early "commercial zone" arrangement rather than the tougher version played in 1984-5 which i prefer

10. Low Life
    solid rendition

11. Under the House
    the show has a great powerful drum sound so this track comes across very well

12. Bad Life
    again this is still in its early "commercial zone" arrangement rather than the tougher sparser version played in 1984-5 which i prefer
    but the powerful bass and drum sound on this recording make it sound very powerful and more enjoyable than the live in tokyo version

13. Public Image
    no idea why they played this twice given that we know this line up rehearsed loads of other material such as banging the door, albatross, bad baby, poptones, Attack, Careering etc etc

i'll end by quoting discogs user MEllODrOnE
    "...the sound is great, really nailing the live feel with full, expansive sound."

21. riskylogic

Celebrate The Music Of Peter Green

[​IMG]

Concert Performance by Mick Fleetwood and Friends
    Released 30 Apr 2021
    Recorded 25 Feb 2020
    Venue London Palladium
    Genre Blues, Rock
    Length 90 min
    Label BMG Music
    Producers Austin Shaw, Glyn Johns

Celebrate the Music of Peter Green and the Early Years of Fleetwood Mac is a live album and concert video from a one-off performance honouring the early years of Fleetwood Mac and its founder, Peter Green which was held on 25th February 2020 at the London Palladium.

Personnel
    Floor Band

Mick Fleetwood – Drums
    Andy Fairweather Low – Guitar and Vocals
    Dave Bronze – Bass
    Rick Vito – Guitar and Vocals,
    Zak Starkey - Drums
    Jonny Lang –Guitar and Vocals
    Ricky Peterson – Keyboards

Guest Musicians in Order of First Appearance
    Billy Gibbons on tracks 3-5, 15, 21, 23
    John Mayall on tracks 4 and 23
    Stephen Tyler on tracks 5, 6, 15, 23
    Christine McVie on Tracks 6, 7, 23.
    Noel Gallagher on Tracks 10-12.
    Pete Townsend on Tracks 13 and 23
    Neil Finn on Track 14 and 23
    David Gilmour on Tracks 16 and 22
    Bill Wyman on Tracks 19, 20, 23
    Jeremy Spencer on Tracks 19 and 20
    Kirk Hammett on Tracks 21 and 23.

Track Listing
    1. Rolling Man
    2. Homework
    3. Doctor Brown
    4. All Your Love
    5. Rattlesnake Shake
    6. Stop Messin' Around
    7. Looking For Somebody
    8. Sandy Mary
    9. Love That Burns
    10. The World Keep On Turning
    11. Like Crying
    12. No Place To Go
    13. Station Man
    14. Man Of The World
    15. Oh Well (Pt. 1)
    16. Oh Well (Pt. 2)
    17. Need Your Love So Bad
    18. Black Magic Woman
    19. The Sky Is Crying
    20. I Can't Hold Out
    21. The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)
    22. Albatross
    23. Shake Your Money Maker

Version Control
    This is a new release. You can get CDs without the bluray, but it's almost the same price. With 4 LPs is another option too. Amazon.

The Concert
    The video is excellent bluray quality. The audio specs say it has true hd and atmos – but it still sounds like stereo. Uses the enter channel a bit, but the rears are just used for crowd noise. But I don’t feel the need to switch it to stereo because the audio quality is fantastic no matter which format you choose.

“Rolling Man”
    From Mr. Wonderful. It’s the floor band all by themselves to start, minus Zak Starkey. Fleetwood handles the drumming all by himself. Rick Vito starts out on lead guitar and vocals; both Bronze and Low are to his right. Fleetwood is behind Vito, and Peterson and Lang are on the left of him. There are empty keyboards in front of Peterson and on the far right, plus an empty drum set to the right of Fleetwood.

“Homework”
    From Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. Zak Starkey comes on to occupy the second drum set, and Lang takes over vocals and the center spot. Vito moves to the left.

“Doctor Brown”
    From Mr. Wonderful. Billy Gibbons comes on to take the center spot. Didja ever think ZZ Top sounded like Fleetwood Mac? Me neither till now. Vito and Gibbons take turn playing lead.

“All Your Love”
    From John Mayall Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton. Fleetwood Mac splintered from the Blues Breakers, and Mayall comes out to prove it. He sets up behind the keyboard on the right next to Low, and sings lead. Gibbons seems to be playing lead guitar. Or Vito; they seems to be doubling up the same part. Vito and Low both with some backing vocals.

“Rattlesnake Shake”
    From Then Play On. Mayall departs and Stephen Tyler comes on in the middle, Gibbons slides to the left. Tyler shakes a large rattle. Starkey is rattling too.

“Stop Messin' Around”
    From Mr. Wonderful. Gibbons departs, and Christine McVie moves in behind the front left keyboards. Vito starts it off playing lead, Christine sings lead, Tyler playing harmonica. Starkey drumming again

“Looking For Somebody “
    From s/t debut. Tyler departs, and Starkey and Low take a break too. McVie still on keyboards and singing co-lead along with Vito.

“Sandy Mary”
    Single. McVie leaves, Starkey and Low return. Lang sings lead, Vito lead guitar at start, but Lang takes over after he is done singing.

“Love That Burns”
    From Mr. Wonderful. Starkey off, Vito with lead vocals and guitar. Lots of work for Peterson too.

“The World Keep On Turning”
    From s/t debut. Start of an acoustic set. Mitch is in the center and I think he is tapping the rattle Tyler had with drumsticks. Bronze and Vito are two his left, while Noel Gallagher and Lang are on his left – they all have acoustic guitars. Gallagher sings lead.

“Like Crying”
    From Then Play On. Low comes on too - far right. Vito, Gallagher and Low share the vocals.

“No Place To Go”
    From s/t debut. Vito switches to electric guitar and sings lead. The thing Fleetwood is playing isn’t the same rattle, but it’s similar. The interior seems to be ceramic. Mick gets in a bass vocal at the end. End of first set. Fifty year old video with the actual Peter Green playing plays during the intermission – both audio and video are very good.

“Station Man”

From Kiln House. Well, there’s a reason the full title of the concert video ends with “and the early days of Fleetwood Mac”, and that’s because Pete Townsend comes on to do a song off the first album after Green had left. He explains that is because “Won’t Get Fooled Again” borrows a few licks from this song. Townsend sings lead and plays lead guitar, and he sure makes it sound like a Who song. Vito sings colead.

“Man Of The World”
    Single. Townsend leaves, Neil Finn comes on. Apparently he has been filling on for Buckingham for the last two years. Finn sings lead, but Vito plays lead guitar.

“Oh Well (Pt. 1)”
    Single. Finn leaves, both Gibbons and Tyler come back. Gibbons sings lead and yes he makes it sound like a ZZ Top song. Maybe it did already. Tyler backing vocals and Lang helps out a lot on guitar.

“Oh Well (Pt. 2)”
    Single. Part 2 is an instrumental B-side that had never been played live. Gibbons and Tyler depart and David Gilmour comes out to play on the left side of the stage. Fleetwood, Bronze, and Peterson do most of the rest of the work. Yes, he makes it sound the second half like Pink Floyd towards the end.

“Need Your Love So Bad “
    From The Pious Bird of Good Omen. Gilmour departs and Lang takes over lead vocals and guitar. He sounds like Green.

“Black Magic Woman”
    From The Pious Bird of Good Omen. You almost expect Carlos Santana to pop out on the stage, but the floor band handles it with Vito playing and singing lead. Starkey gets lots of work on this one too, and Lang joins for a twin guitar duet at the end.

“The Sky Is Crying”
    Elmore James cover. Bill Wyman comes out to take the place of Bronze. Jeremy Spencer is also introduced and he goes front and center. Fleetwood, Lang and Starkey all take a break. Spencer with lead vocals and guitar.

“I Can't Hold Out”
    Ditto, also on Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. Fleetwood back, Spencer still in charge.

“The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)”
    Single. Spencer and Wyman depart, Bronze, Starkey, and Gibbons return plus Kirk Hammett comes out with Peter Greens’ guitar in his hands. The last song Green wrote for Fleetwood Mac. Gibbons sings lead, Hammett plays lead guitar. Clip goes here:

End of set

“Albatross”
    From The Pious Bird of Good Omen. Fleetwood give extended intro explaining that this song got the attention of the Beatles. But they couldn’t get George Harrison to come out, so they settled for Gilmour again. He’s playing pedal steel this time. He’s joined by both drummers, Bronze, Vito and Low.

“Shake Your Money Maker”
    From s/t debut. Gilmour leaves, but McVie, Wyman, Gibbons, Tyler, Townsend, Finn, Mayall and Hammett come back. There’s hardly room for them all. Tyler sings lead and plays harmonica. Low gets a verse too.
    _______

Great concert with a great set list. Early Fleetwood Mac is my favorite, especially when you throw in “Oh Well” and “The Green Manalishi” in along with “Albatross” and “Black Magic Woman” plus a bunch of really good blues covers. The stage show is the steady stream of old rock stars marching stage through who can still sing and play.

The execution is really good, especially for a one-off performance. The show reminds of the Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets video, but they did a full tour before recording.

Even though it is supposedly in Atmos, it is basically stereo recording. I can’t complain really, it might be better that way.

Music – 3
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 3
    Surround – 1

22. mark winstanley

SIGN O' THE TIMES REMASTERED SUPER DELUXE EDITION (8CD + 1 DVD)

[​IMG]

• CD1-2: Sign O’ The Times album (2020 Remaster)
    • CD3: 13x single mixes and edits, all newly remastered
    • CD4-6: 45x previously unreleased studio recordings from Prince’s Vault
    • CD7-8: 18x live tracks, comprising a complete previously unreleased concert performance recorded in Utrecht, Netherlands, on June 20, 1987
    • DVD: 23x tracks, comprising a complete previously unreleased concert performance recorded at Paisley Park, Chanhassen, on December 31st, 1987
    • The Super Deluxe Edition contains 92 audio tracks, of which 63 are previously unreleased, including 45 studio tracks from Prince’s legendary Vault.
    • The Super Deluxe Edition opens with Prince’s iconic album, Sign O’ The Times, dazzlingly remastered for the very first time by Prince’s original mastering engineer Bernie Grundman.
    • The set also includes an entire previously unreleased audio recording of Prince’s Sign O’ The Times tour performance in Utrecht, Netherlands, on June 20, 1987
    • The DVD features a complete previously unreleased recording of Prince’s benefit performance at Paisley Park, December 31st, 1987. The show includes Prince’s only on-stage collaboration with Miles Davis.
    • Housed in a 12” box, and accompanied by a 12” 120 page hardback book featuring:
      • Brand new liner notes by: Prince’s creative peers and friends Dave Chappelle (in conversation with photographer Mathieu Bitton) and Lenny Kravitz; Prince’s longtime engineer Susan Rogers; Daphne A. Brooks, William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of African American Studies, American Studies and Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies at Yale University; Minneapolis radio host and author Andrea Swensson, host of the Official Prince Podcast; and Prince scholar Duane Tudahl.
      • Rare and previously unseen photography by Jeff Katz
      • Prince’s handwritten lyrics.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Prince sets have come along nicely. The Purple Rain Deluxe was a little disappointing I guess, but 1999 was a lot better, and so far from what I can see Sign Of The Times is pretty damn comprehensive.
    Really I would have loved some 5.1 mixes of these albums, because particularly Prince in the eighties and early nineties would really come over extremely well with a 5.1 mix of these classic albums.

The downside is, that these sets are not cheap, and you would really want to be a big fan if you were going to end up buying one of these.

One of the frustrations for some of us are these somewhat non-specific concert videos included in these sets, and we end up buying many of these sets with high hopes for getting some high quality wildly exclusive concert video, and it ends up being a somewhat disappointing video shot by a blind mongoose in the snow, with an audio track directly from the pits of a discombobulated poop shoot .... well, I may be exaggerating, but you know what I mean.
    So I ended up getting this one with the information that the video isn't great but the audio is, and it is probably my favourite Prince album, so... lets have a look

DVD: Live At Paisley Park – December 31, 1987

1 Sign O’ The Times
    2 Play In The Sunshine
    3 Little Red Corvette
    4 Erotic City
    5 Housequake
    6 Slow Love
    7 Do Me, Baby
    8 Adore
    9 I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
    10 What’s Your Name Jam
    11 Let’s Pretend We’re Married
    12 Delirious
    13 Jack U Off
    14 Drum Solo
    15 Twelve
    16 Hot Thing
    17 If I Was Your Girlfriend
    18 Let’s Go Crazy
    19 When Doves Cry
    20 Purple Rain
    21 1999
    22 U Got The Look
    23 It’s Gonna Be A Beautiful Night Medley (featuring Miles Davis)

Available on Amazon for about $131 https://www.amazon.com/Sign-Times-Super-Deluxe-Prince/dp/B08BMSF4XT
    The Official Prince store for $159 https://store.prince.com/product/5Q...mes-remastered-super-deluxe-edition-8cd-1-dvd
    Discogs have sets from about $119 https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Sign-O-The-Times/release/15965216

So ya gotta like Prince a fair bit.

The book is roughly 12" record size, and comes in the thick slipcase we're all probably used to by now. The book presents very well. Little stories about the recording and all that kind of thing, pictures of Prince's hand written lyrics, photo's, track notes and all that groovy kind of stuff.

The discs come in those abominable slots, but when I realised that a great majority of releases were going to be coming out with slots and all that goofy new crap they do, I bought myself a couple of hundred plastic sleeves for cd discs, and whenever I get a set with this annoying quirk, they instantly get slotted into plastic sleeves, so that, even if it is just my feeling towards it and it doesn't really happen, my discs don't end up scuffed and screwed due to, what I think, is poor packaging....

Other than that small issue, it is a really solid set .... so long as you like the funky purple one of course.....

The dvd comes with three videos from the SOTT album
    Sign of the times
    U got the look
    I could never take the place ....

We have no audio select, so I can safely assume we just have some stereo....
    Lpcm 48/16
    4/3 ratio video
    The video quality is pretty solid. It isn't hi-def, but it's clear enough.

We open with Prince saying g'day, and launch into the title track, one of the man's very finest, and it is made even better here with Prince rocking his guitar throughout.
    During the outro guitar we get some marching snare drummers come out, and it's pretty cool and effective.

Play on the sunshine comes in...
    The mix here is pretty decent, but Prince's guitar is a little low. Drums are probably slightly high. When Prince rocks another lead his guitar is back up.
    Sheila E is rocking the drums, and I'm never going to complain about that.

Overall the sound quality is good. I'm enjoying it.

Little Red Corvette has Prince at the piano and it really adds an extra dimension to the track.
    We also have Cat doing her dancing and I'm never going to complain about that either.
    Sadly the Corvette gets the typically short throwaway spin, not the full song.

We get an instrumental section that leads us into Erotic City, and Prince dances with Cat and Sheila E. We move into the song proper, and the three of them have a dance routine tied into it.
    This is also a short version.

Housequake rolls around.
    Sheila is back is back on the drums.
    This track grooves along nicely, and we get some nice sax.

Slow Love comes around, and it slides quickly in Do Me Baby.
    Do me Baby gets an extended sort of treatment incorporating Adore, and it is really well done.
    Again a nice sax break, a short visit from Pastor Prince and we move on to.

There is a crowd, but they are rarely audible.

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
    The audio is good, but it is a fairly flat sound, so it may not be as punchy as some would like.
    Prince rock out a nice lead break.
    A solid kick and a nice broken up piano groove, over which Prince James on his guitar, then throws it over to the horns... we get the song riff

They do this thing a few times we one of those electricity balls overlayed on the screen.... not sure that was a great move.

We get an elongated section of a drum beat with Cat dancing, but it's dark, and this is a costume change for Prince essentially.
    This is the What's your name jam, this rolls around into a snippet of Let's pretend we're married, and this rolls into Delirious, which in turn rolls into Jack U Off, we get a sax and trumpet lead, the the good doctor rolls out some keys, the guitarist has a play, and the bass player has his little lead... which leads up to Sheila E grooving on the drums.
    She sure can play those drums.
    Then we move into a rave up jam with the horns front and centre. I assume this is Twelve.

Hot Thang comes in with a really good groove. We move into another horn driven jam and Cat and Prince do a choreographed routine.

If I was your girlfriend comes in slinky and slow.
    This is about an hour into the show, and it goes for just over 2hrs, so I guess the remainder of the tracks will get more full renderings.

Let's go crazy opens with the synths setting the atmosphere. We get an edited intro but it works.
    The song gets reworked, and it works pretty well.
    A drum machine keeps the beat Sheila comes up front with timbales and Prince rolls out some lead.
    We get some playing with the crowd, Sheila goes back to her kit.
    Princes launches in the silo lead outro.

We get a reworked opening intro to When doves cry.
    We get some different accents in this version.
    The track moves into a sort of dance jazz thing, then this slided into

Purple Rain
    We get a short run through of the guitar, then we get a piano and organ intro, giving it very much a gospel feel.
    Prince comes out with his guitar and plays the auld lang since melody in a minor twist over the Purple rain backing.
    He improvised on the theme several times and then launches into blistering lead.
    This was supposed to lead to the new year being brought in by something falling from the ceiling, but the rope failed. Then after some jiggering around balloons fall from the ceiling. Essentially we have a bit of a blues jam going on.
    After this extended opening Prince comes back and starts singing Purple Rain.
    This is loose and freewheeling, but that's what concerts used to be a lot of the time.
    He sings the first verse with a nice soulful delivery and launches into a lead break.
    We get the "oooo's" a thank you and roll into

Cat sings the first line, and we're away.
    We get the first verse, chorus and then the coda. This crescendos and we get a keyboard/synth effect pulsing between a couple of chords
    Prince comes back out, and we move into

U Got The Look, in a sort of remixed version. Sheila sings Sheena's part.
    We get most of the track, and a break down into a jam.
    We get the goodnight, band leaves.

Then we get
    Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
    We roll a verse or so, then Sheila comes forward and Prince take the drums, and Sheila rolls out a rap.
    Sheila and Cat have a dance
    Prince does a nice little double kick thing.
    Cat does a little rap. Prince and Sheila swap back, and Prince drags Miles Davis out.... there's a bit of showmanship going on here...
    Miles plays a few lines and Prince controls the accents of the band.
    This goes for a few minutes and Miles wanders off, and the band keeping on Jamming.
    The jam goes on for a bit and then one of Princes female backing singers launches into Chain of Fools.
    We get another jam, with a sax lead.
    Prince messes around on the organ.
    We roll into another jam, and get a kind of soul review jam style.
    We're jamming along for a while Prince goes to the piano and it doesn't work, we move back into the jam...
    Eventually Prince goes back to the piano and rips out some nice stuff.
    We have this jam still rolling and Prince starts playfully razzing his band members.
    Then he moves into some scat singing....

So this is a good concert with good sound, but it is raw and it is live and we get a lot of jamming with snippets of songs. For some folks this is going to be absolute treasure, and for others, it will be disappointment that the songs are for the most parts edits and reworks.
    It is really interesting to me, that in an age where concerts turned into greatest hits packages, Prince was putting on these huge jams with bits and pieces of songs thrown in. the main aim being to show how good his band was, and how they could turn on the head of a pin via his commands, and they do it terribly well.
    We get lots of little dance routines, and lots of horns taking the lead.
    It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night ends up being probably a third of the disc, and like I say, for some folks that is going to be awesome, and for others it may wear thin.
    In reality though, this is what Prince did, so it is probably essential for anyone that considers themselves a Prince fan.

PDK, Sordel, ~dave~~wave~ and 2 others like this.
  23. riskylogic

Ranges indicate either that the rating is version dependent, or that the content varies. The reviews are mine unless other attribution is given. The highlighted link for the reviews and ratings are different if the initial review is from Mark or someone else, or if I have changed the ratings for some reason.

Rating System Explained Here

AC/DC – Let There Be Rock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Anathema – A Moment in Time / Live Performance / Rating: 13 &
    Anathema – Universal / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Anathema – A Sort of Homecoming / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Arcade Fire – Live At Earls Court / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Ayreon Electric Castle Live and Other Tales / Live Performance / Rating: 14 &
    Ayreon – Ayreon Universe / Live Performance / Rating: 16

Band, The – The Last Waltz / Live Performance and Concert Documentary / Rating: 15-17
    Barclay James Harvest ‎– Berlin (A Concert For The People) / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Beatles, The – A Hard Day’s Night / Movie / Rating: 11-13
    Beatles, The – Help! / Movie / Rating: 11-14
    Beatles, The – Magical Mystery Tour/ Movie / Rating: 10-12
    Beatles, The – Yellow Submarine / Movie / Rating: 17 &
    Beatles, The – 1+ / Video Collection / Rating: 12-18
    Beck, Jeff – Rock 'n' Roll Party (Honoring Les Paul) / Live Performance / Rating: 14-15
    Beck, Jeff – Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Big Big Train – Reflectors of Light / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Big Big Train – Empire / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Birtles Shorrock Goble ‎– Full Circle / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blackfield – NYC: Live in New York City / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Blackmore, Richie – Blackmore's Night ‎– A Knight In York / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blackmore, Richie – Memories In Rock - Live In Germany / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blue Öyster Cult – Live 1976 / Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Blue Öyster Cult – 40th Anniversary - Agents Of Fortune - Live 2016 / Studio Performance / Rating: 14 &
    Blue Öyster Cult – 45th Anniversary - Live in London / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Bruce, Jack and Trower, Robin – Seven Moons Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Bruford – Rock Goes to College / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Byrne, David – American Utopia / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Camel – Moondances / Live Performance / Rating: 11-12
    Camel – In From the Cold / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Camel – Live At The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Cave, Nick – Once More With Feeling / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Church, The – Future Past Perfect / Live Performance / Rating: 13&
    Cheap Trick – Silver / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Clapton, Eric – The Cream of Eric Clapton / Video Collection / Rating: 12*&
    Clapton, Eric and Winwood, Steve – Live From Madison Square Garden / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) /Rating:16
    Clapton, Eric – Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 16 &
    Cliff, Jimmy – The Harder They Come / Movie / Rating: 15
    Cocker, Joe Fire It Up Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Cold Chisel – The Last Stand / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Cure, The – Trilogy / Live Performance / Rating: 13-15
    Cure, The – Curætion-25 / Live Performance / Rating: 16

Dead Can Dance – Yulunga and Other Stories / Video Collection / Rating: 12-15
    Dead Can Dance – Toward the Within / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Depeche Mode – Live in Berlin / Live Performance / Rating: 12&
    Devo – Hardcore Devo Live! / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Dido Live at Brixton Academy / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Djabe (and Steve Hackett) – Summer Storms and Rocking Rivers / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Djabe – The Magic Stag / Video Collection /Rating: 11
    Dire Straits – Alchemy / Live Performance / Rating: 16*
    Doobie Brothers, The ‎– Live From The Beacon Theatre / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Doors, The ‎– Live At The Bowl '68 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Dream Theater – Score / Live Performance /Rating: 13
    Dream Theater – Distance Over Time / Video Collection /Rating: 13
    *&
    Dream Theater – Distant Memories - Live In London / Live Performance /Rating: 15
    Dylan, Bob – No Direction Home / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)

Eagles – Hell Freezes Over / Live Performance /Rating: 16 (@Yankeefan01)
    Eagles – Live from the Forum MMXVIII / Live Performance /Rating: 14
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer – 40th Anniversary Reunion Concert / Live Performance / Rating: 14&
    Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams - The Video Album / Video Collection / Rating: 9

Ferry, Bryan – Live in Lyon / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Fleetwood Mac – The Dance / Studio Performance / Rating: 14
    Fleetwood, Mick & Friends – Celebrate The Music Of Peter Green / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Flying Colors – Second Flight: Live At The Z7 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

Gabriel, Peter – Live in Athens 1987 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gabriel, Peter – Secret World Live / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Gabriel, Peter – Play / Video Collection / Rating: 12-15 *&
    Gabriel, Peter – Growing Up / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Gabriel, Peter – Still Growing Up: Live / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gabriel, Peter – New Blood - Live In London / Live Performance / Rating: 14 &
    (The J.) Geils Band ‎– House Party Live In Germany / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Genesis – Pop Shop Live TV 1972 / Studio Performance / Rating: 11 *
    Gentle Giant – GG at the GG / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Gentle Giant – The Power and the Suite / Video Collection / Rating: 16
    Gilmour, David – Remember That Night / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gilmour, David – Live in Gdańsk / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Gilmour, David – Live at Pompeii / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Glass, Philip – Koyaanisqatsi / Movie / Rating: 15 &
    Glass, Philip – Powaqqatsi / Movie / Rating: 13
    Glass, Philip – Naqoyqatsi / Movie / Rating: 17
    Grateful Dead – The Grateful Dead Movie / Concert Documentary / Rating: 13-14
    Grateful Dead – The Closing of Winterland / Concert Performance / Rating: 13
    Grateful Dead – Rocking The Cradle ~ Egypt 1978 / Concert Performance (@~dave~~wave~)
    Green Day – Bullet in a Bible / Live Performance / Rating: 11 &

Hackett, Steve – The Tokyo Tapes / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Hackett, Steve – Somewhere in South America / Live Performance / Rating: 10
    Hackett, Steve – Wuthering Nights: Live In Birmingham / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Hackett, Steve – Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Hendrix, Jimi – Jimi Plays Monterey / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Hendrix, Jimi – Live at Woodstock / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Hendrix, Jimi – Band of Gypsys: Live at The Fillmore East / Concert Documentary / Rating: 10 *&
    Holdsworth, Allan – I.O.U. ‎- Live in Japan 1984 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Hiromi – Move: Live In Tokyo / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

INXS - Live Baby Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 13
    Iron Maiden – Flight 666 / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Iron Maiden – The History of Iron Maiden – Part 1: The Early Days / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)

Jarre, Jean Michel – Oxygene: Live In Your Living Room / Studio Performance/ Rating: 14
    Jethro Tull – Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die (The TV Special Edition) / Studio Performance / Rating: 11
    Jethro Tull – Slipstream / Live Performance and Videos / Rating: 15-16

Kansas – There's Know Place Like Home / Live Performance / Rating: 15-16
    Katatonia – Last Fair Day Gone Night / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Killing Joke – XXV Gathering! / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    King Crimson – Déjà Vrooom / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    King Crimson – Eyes Wide Open, Part 1 / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    King Crimson – Eyes Wide Open, Part 2 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    King Crimson – Meltdown: Live in Mexico City / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    King Crimson – Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Knopfler, Mark – A Night in London / Studio Performance / Rating: 9 &
    Kraftwerk – 3D 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / Video Collection / Rating: 15
    Krauss, Allison & Union Station – Live! / Live Performance / Rating: 13

Led Zeppelin – The Song Remains the Same / Live Performance and Movie / Rating: 14
    Led Zeppelin – DVD, Part 1: Live at The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Led Zeppelin – DVD, Part 2: 1972-1979 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Lee, Albert Tearing it Up / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

Magma – Theusz Hamtaahk: Trilogie au Trianon / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok 1 / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok 2 / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok III / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok IV / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok V / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma – Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Trilogie / Live Performance (@Sordel) / Rating: 12
    Mannheim Steamroller – Fresh Aire 8 / Video Collection / Rating: 11*
    Marillion – Fish Tales / Video Collection / Rating: 12-13*
    Marillion – Recital of the Script / Live Performance / Rating: 13*&
    Marillion – Somewhere in London / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Marillion – All One Tonight - Live At The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Marley, Bob & The Wailers – Live! at the Rainbow / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Mason, Nick Live – At the Roundhouse / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    McCartney, Paul – The McCartney Years, Part 1 / Video Collection ( @mark winstanley) / Rating: 13-14
    McCartney, Paul – The McCartney Years, Vol 3 / Concert Performances / Rating: 12-16
    (Pat) Metheny Group – The Way Up - Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Midnight Oil – Best of Both Worlds / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Midnight Oil – Armistice Day / Live Performance / Rating: 16&
    Moody Blues – Lovely to See You: Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Motörhead ‎– Stage Fright / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Mozart, Wolfgang – Amadeus / Movie / Rating: 15

Nightwish – Vehicle of Spirit / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    No-Man – Mixtaped / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Opeth – The Roundhouse Tapes / Live Performance / Rating: 12

(The Alan) Parsons Symphonic Project – Live in Colombia / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Pet Shop Boys – Cubism / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Pineapple Thief, The – Where We Stood / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Pink Floyd – 1970 Devi/ation / Video Collection / Rating: 5
    Pink Floyd – 1971 Reverber/ation / Video Collection / Rating: 9&
    Pink Floyd – Live at Pompeii / Live Performance / Rating: 13-15&
    Pink Floyd – The Wall / Movie / Rating: 12
    Pink Floyd – Delicate Sound of Thunder / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Pink Floyd – The Endless River / Video Collection / Rating: 9
    Police, The Every Breath You Take / Video Collection ( @mark winstanley)
    Police, The Certifiable: Live in Buenos Aires / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Porcupine Tree – Arriving Somewhere... / Live Performance / Rating: 16 - 17
    Porcupine Tree – Anesthetize / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Presley, Elvis – That's The Way It Is / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Presley, Elvis – '68 Comeback Special / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Pretenders, The – Loose in L.A. / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Prince – Live At Paisley Park / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Public Image Limited - Live at Rockpalast / Live Performance (@Tim Bucknall)
    Queen – A Night at the Odeon / Live Performance / Rating: 12

Rainbow ‎– Live Between The Eyes / The Final Cut / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    R.E.M – Road Movie / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Rolling Stones & Various Artists – Rock and Roll Circus / Studio Performance / Rating: 14
    Rolling Stones – Steel Wheels Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Rolling Stones – Some Girls: Live in Texas '78 / Concert Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Roxy Music – The High Road / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Roxy Music – Live at the Apollo / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Rush – Exit ..... Stage Left / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating:14
    Rush – Grace Under Pressure Tour / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Rush – A Show of Hands / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Rush – R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 17
    Rush – Rush in Rio / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Rush – Snakes & Arrows Live / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Rush – Clockwork Angels Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Rush – R40 Live / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Santana – Santana IV Live At The House Of Blues Las Vegas / Live Performance / Rating: 15&
    Scaggs, Boz – Greatest Hits Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Schenker, Michael – On A Mission - Live In Madrid / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Schenker, Michael – Immortal / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Setzer, Brian – Rockabilly Riot! Osaka Rocka! / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Simple Minds – Acoustic In Concert / Live Performance / Rating: 12-13
    Soundgarden ‎– Live From The Artists Den / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Springsteen, Bruce The River Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Steely Dan – Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party / Studio Performance / Rating: 16
    Sting – Live in Berlin / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Super Furry Animals Rings Around The World / Video Collection (@mark winstanley)
    Supertramp – Live In Paris '79 / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense / Live Performance / Rating: 14-16
    Talking Heads – True Stories / Movie / Rating: 12-14
    Tangerine Dream – Live at Coventry Cathedral 1975 / Music Video / Rating: 10
    Tangerine Dream – The Video Dream Mixes / Video Collection: Rating: 8
    Tool – Vicarious / Video / Rating: 12 &
    Townsend, Devin – Ocean Machine – Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 12-14
    Townsend, Devin – Acoustically Inclined in Leeds / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 11
    Townsend, Devin – Live At The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Townsend, Devin – Order of Magnitude - Empath Live Volume 1 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Transatlantic – Whirld Tour 2010 / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Transatlantic – The Absolute Universe / Video Collection / Rating: 16

U2 – Under a Blood Red Sky / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 15
    U2 – Rattle and Hum / Studio and Live Performance / Rating: 14-15
    U2 – 360° at the Rose Bowl / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    U2 – Live in Paris / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Ultravox – Rage in Eden / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16

Vai, Steve ‎– Visual Sound Theories (Live With Holland Metropole Orkest) / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Various Artists – The Monterey Pop Festival / Live Performance / Rating: 13 &
    Various Artists – Woodstock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary / Rating: 15 * (2-disc 2009 version)
    Various Artists – Woodstock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary /(@~dave~~wave~) (3-disc 2014 version)
    Various Artists – Baraka / Movie / Rating: 14
    Various Artists – Samsara / Movie / Rating: 13

Waters, Roger – In the Flesh - Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Waters, Roger – Us + Them / Live Performance/ Rating: 17
    Who, The Tommy / Movie / Rating: 14
    Who, The The Kids Are Alright / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley ) / Rating: 11-15
    Who, The – Live At Shea Stadium 1982 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Who, The - Live in Boston / Concert Performance (@mark winstanley )
    Wilson, Steven –Get All You Deserve/ Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Wilson, Steven – Home Invasion / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Winter, Edgar – Reach For It / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Wishbone Ash – Live Dates 3 / Live Performance / Rating: 15 &
    Wishbone Ash – Live in Hamburg / Live Performance / Rating: 13

YACHT - Chain Tripping / Video Collection / 13
    Yello – Live in Berlin / Live Performance (@jamesc) / Rating: 16
    Yes – Yessongs / Live Performance / Rating: 9 *
    Yes – Keys To Ascension / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Yes – Symphonic Live / Live Performance / Rating: 17

Zappa, Frank – Baby Snakes / Movie and Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Zappa, Frank – The Torture Never Stops / Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Zappa, Frank – The Roxy Movie / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Zimmer, Hans – Live in Prague / Live Performance (@thetman) / Rating: 17&

* One point deducted from original rating as a result of video rating scale adjustment.
    & Half point deducted from music score before doubling

Comments on any of the above are always welcome.

Tim Bucknall and Jagger69 like this.
  24. riskylogic

education entertainment recreation

[​IMG]

Concert Performance by New Order
    Released May 7, 2021
    Recorded November 9th 2018
    Venue Alexandra Palace, London
    Genre Electronic, Rock
    Length 2 hrs 20 min
    Label Rhino/Warner Bros.
    Director Mike Christie

Education Entertainment Recreation is a live album and concert video of a performance at Alexandra Palace in London on November 9, 2018. The set list draws from both Joy Division records and eight subsequent studio albums (everything but Movement).

Personnel
    Bernard Sumner – lead vocals, guitar, keyboards, programming
    Stephen Morris – drums, percussion, keyboards, programming
    Gillian Gilbert – keyboards, guitars, programming
    Phil Cunningham – guitars, keyboards, electronic percussion
    Tom Chapman – bass, keyboards

Track Listing
    1. Das Rheingold: Vorspiel 3:14
    2. Singularity 6:03
    3. Regret 3:57
    4. Love Vigilantes 4:09
    5. Ultraviolence 4:11
    6. Disorder 3:30
    7. Crystal 6:46
    8. Academic 5:28
    9. Your Silent Face 6:01
    10. Tutti Fruitti
    11. Sub-Culture 6:52
    12. Bizarre Love Triangle 6:06
    13. Vanishing Point 5:33
    14. Waiting For The Sirens' Call 7:01
    15. Plastic 7:45
    16. The Perfect Kiss 6:35
    17. True Faith 6:35
    18. Blue Monday 7:15
    19. Temptation 10:07
    20. Atmosphere 4:32
    21. Decades 6:27
    22. Love Will Tear Us Apart 4:48

Track times are from the CDs. “Tutti Fruitti” is bluray only.

Version Control
    This is a new release. You can get CDs only, CDs+bluray (which is what I have), LPs, or a box set with everything. It’s a bit pricier than most. Amazon.

It comes in a bluray sized slipcase, but it oddly slips out at the narrow end, and the only spine labeling is on that side. I think I’ll put it on the CD shelf instead of the bluray shelf.

The Concert
    “Das Rheingold: Vorspiel”
    A Wagner intro that plays with an empty stage as the credits roll. The video is extra widescreen with narrow black bars at the top and bottom, with excellent bluray quality resolution. There is a large multipanel screen behind the stage. The video shows a diver diving off a bridge.

“Singularity”
    From Music Complete. This is their most recent album, which was released in 2015. Sumner is front and center, Cunningham, is on the left, while Chapman and Gilbert are both on the right, with Chapman a little closer to center. Cunningham doing most of the guitar work, Sumner mostly singing. The lighting consists of spotlights from all over plus a couple of stage level lights coming from the sides. Not much difference between the stereo and 5.1 mixes. The latter basically juts the center as a third speaker, and there’s only a tiny bit reverb in the back.

“Regret”
    From Republic. Sumner starts off playing lead guitar, then turns to singing. It seems his voice is not quite what it once was; just not as much forced behind it. There are some crowd vocals which seem to be coming from the front. I’d call that a major surround mixing faux pas. Blue lights

“Love Vigilantes”
    From Low-Life. Sumner starts off with a wind-keyboard thing – a melodica perhaps. Then turns to singing. All green lighting, screen is off.

“Ultraviolence”
    From Power, Corruption & Lies. Back to blues lights. Screen comes back on with letters and shapes that are also sporadically superimposed over the concert video. Both Cunningham and Sumner woth some furious guitar. Ends with bullet on screen.

“Disorder”
    From Joy Division Unknown Pleasures. Chapman starts it off. Yes he sounds just like Peter Hook. Sumner playing lead guitar. Blue and purple lighting, psychedelia on screen.

“Crystal “
    From Get Ready. Gilbert starts it off. Video of their younger selves on screen. Chapman with some backing vocals, but it seems like some of them must be prerecorded. Cunningham with one-handed keyboard solo – he has his own rear left.

“Academic”
    From Music Complete. Cunningham starts it off on guitar. Blue lighting with a tinge of green, spotlights go wild. Cross-country skier on the screen. Sumner’s voice sounds entirely normal on this song – it is recent song after all. Cunningham with guitar solo.

“Your Silent Face”
    From Power, Corruption & Lies. Cunningham playing keyboard with two hands and starts it off with Gilbert. Sumner with the melodica again, also some guitar along with vocals. Aircraft on screen.

“Tutti Fruitti”
    From Music Complete. The video has statues reminiscent of the Technique cover, but this is from the newish one. More video editing that superimposes some of the shapes on the screen in front of the band. Cunningham playing guitar and some keyboards as well, Sumner just sings and gives Cunningham moral support.

“Sub-Culture”
    From Low-Life. Morris and Chapman start it. Abstract shapes on screen, lots of spotlights point out over audience and at stage camera. Seems like a more keyboard heavy mix than the original. Sumner just singing while Cunningham does all the guitar work. More crowd vocals from in front, how lame. The light show is really impressive though.

“Bizarre Love Triangle”
    From Brotherhood. Morris plays a keyboard – synth percussion. Chapman guitar and some percussion, Sumner vocals. Pretty impressive abstract visuals and lighting again with a little video editing to boot. Crowd vocals from in front.

“Vanishing Point”
    From Technique. Morris back on the drum set, Chapman and Gilbert carry the tune. Jellyfish on screen, with some superimposition as well. Sumner vocals, Chapman guitar.

“Waiting for the Sirens' Call”
    From Waiting for the Sirens' Call. Synth laden start with Cunningham on keyboards, and some synth percussion from Morris too. Sumner has a guitar again, and he plays a solo. Psychedelia on screen.

“Plastic”
    From Music Complete. Synth start from goth Gilbert and Cunningham. Gilbert isn’t working that hard, I think a lot of it is preprogrammed. She’s doing a pretty good Barbieri imitation. Just vocals from Sumner, Cunningham switches to guitar. Female backing vocals coming from nowhere – those must be prerecorded too. Purple and blue spotlight scheme with mountains on the screen.

“The Perfect Kiss”
    From Low-Life. Synthpop baby. Morris back in front of the keyboard while Cunningham synth percusses. Sumner has a guitar. Spotlights go wild again.

“True Faith”
    Single, appears on New Order Substance compilation. Synth start from goth Gilbert and Cunningham again, Morris back on the drum set. Sumner has a guitar, but he mostly sings but he gets a solo in. There’s stuff on the screen, but you can barely see it because the spotlights have taken over

“Blue Monday”
    Single, appears on New Order Substance compilation. Yeah, the lighting is mostly blue. Sumner just sings, Chapman lays down the bass line. Synth percussion from both Morris and Cunningham. Also some guitar from Cunningham. An extended dance-mix version I’d say.

“Temptation”
    Single, appears on New Order Substance compilation. Shiny globe descends from the ceiling above the stage, then the yellow spotlights bounce off it. Sumner and Cunningham both have guitars, Morris back on the drum set, so Gilbert has to handle all the synth work. Sumner has to shout a bit instead of singing, but it still works for me. Another extended version, and end of set.

“Atmosphere”
    Single, appears on Joy Division Substance compilation. The first of a three song Joy Division encore set. Morris starts it, then synth from both Cunningham and Gilbert. Sumner has a guitar. People in black and white hooded robes roam the desert on screen – I think they are carrying a picture of Ian Curtis.

“Decades”
    From Joy Division Closer. Cunningham now on guitar, more Ian Curtis on screen while Sumner fills in for him. More blue lighting.

“Love Will Tear Us Apart”
    Single, appears on Joy Division Substance compilation. Sumner starts it off on guitar, Morris and Chapman get busy, Gilbert lays down the synth, Cunningham plays guitar while Sumner sings. Images from the single release on screen. The spotlights flare up again for the finale.
    _______

New Order were one of my favorite bands for over a decade; late 80’s to early 90’s or something like that. Their later efforts are all very good too. This is a great compilation of all their material, including some early singles and Joy Division as well.

The stage show is really excellent too. The screen and lighting is often spectacular. There are some video editing tricks in there too I think, but they are usually pretty subtle.

Even though there’s a 5.1 mix, there is next to nothing in the way of surround though. Sounds like there are some pretty decent crowd vocals on many of the tracks, but they come from the front. A missed opportunity for an easy point.

A little pricey, but it fills an important synth pop niche on my video shelf. Totally worth it.

Music – 3
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 3
    Surround – 1

25. mark winstanley

Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas

[​IMG]

Directed by
    Sanaa Hamri
    Produced by NPG Music Club
    Written by Prince
    Starring Prince
    Rhonda Smith
    John Blackwell
    Renato Neto
    Greg Boyer
    Eric Leeds
    Nikka Costa
    Maceo Parker
    Sheila E.
    Music by Prince
    Distributed by Hip-O Records
    Release date August 19, 2003
    Running time
    80 minutes
    Language English

Special guests
    1. Intro / Soundcheck
    2. "Pop Life"
    3. "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" / "The Work"
    4. "Push and Pull" (with Nikka Costa)
    5. "1+1+1=3" (incl. "Love Rollercoaster" / "Housequake")
    6. "Strollin'" / "U Want Me" (previously unreleased)
    7. "Gotta Broken Heart Again"
    8. "Strange Relationship"
    9. "Pass the Peas"
    10. "Whole Lotta Love"
    11. "Family Name"
    12. "Take Me with U"
    13. "The Everlasting Now"
    14. "Sometimes It Snows In April"
    available at Amazon for about $13 (2 left) https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Prince-L...X/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Prince ‎– Up All Nite With Prince (The One Nite Alone Collection)
    Label: NPG Records ‎– 19075976622, Legacy ‎– 19075976622, The Prince Estate ‎– 19075976622S1
    Format: All Media, Compilation CD, Album, Reissue 2 × CD, Reissue CD, Reissue DVD, DVD-Video, Copy Protected, Reissue
    Released: 29 May 2020
    Genre: Jazz, Funk / Soul, Pop
    Style: Funk, Minneapolis Sound, Pop Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]

One Nite Alone... Solo Piano And Voice By Prince
    CD1-1 –Prince One Nite Alone... 3:38
    CD1-2 –Prince U're Gonna C Me 5:17
    CD1-3 –Prince Here On Earth 3:23
    CD1-4 –Prince A Case Of U 3:40
    CD1-5 –Prince Have A Heart 2:05
    CD1-6 –Prince Objects In The Mirror 3:27
    CD1-7 –Prince Avalanche 4:25
    CD1-8 –Prince Pearls B4 The Swine 3:01
    CD1-9 –Prince Young And Beautiful 2:45
    CD1-10 –Prince Arboretum 2:19
    One Nite Alone... Live!
    CD2-1 –Prince & The New Power Generation Rainbow Children 11:47
    CD2-2 –Prince & The New Power Generation Muse 2 The Pharaoh 4:50
    CD2-3 –Prince & The New Power Generation Xenophobia 12:41
    CD2-4 –Prince & The New Power Generation Extraordinary 5:01
    CD2-5 –Prince & The New Power Generation Mellow 4:31
    CD2-6 –Prince & The New Power Generation 1 + 1 + 1 Is 3 6:06
    CD2-7 –Prince & The New Power Generation The Other Side Of The Pillow 4:47
    CD2-8 –Prince & The New Power Generation Strange Relationship 4:13
    CD2-9 –Prince & The New Power Generation When U Were Mine 3:48
    CD2-10 –Prince & The New Power Generation Avalanche 6:04
    CD3-1 –Prince & The New Power Generation Family Name 7:18
    CD3-2 –Prince & The New Power Generation Take Me With U 2:54
    CD3-3 –Prince & The New Power Generation Raspberry Beret 3:26
    CD3-4 –Prince & The New Power Generation Everlasting Now 7:41
    CD3-5 –Prince & The New Power Generation One Nite Alone ... 1:13
    CD3-6 –Prince & The New Power Generation Adore 5:33
    CD3-7 –Prince & The New Power Generation I Wanna B Ur Lover 1:22
    CD3-8 –Prince & The New Power Generation Do Me, Baby 1:57
    CD3-9 –Prince & The New Power Generation Condition Of The Heart (Interlude) 0:40
    CD3-10 –Prince & The New Power Generation Diamonds & Pearls 0:41
    CD3-11 –Prince & The New Power Generation The Beautiful Ones 2:11
    CD2-12 –Prince & The New Power Generation Nothing Compares 2 U 3:48
    CD3-13 –Prince & The New Power Generation Free 1:07
    CD3-14 –Prince & The New Power Generation Starfish & Coffee 1:08
    CD3-15 –Prince & The New Power Generation Sometimes It Snow In April 2:41
    CD3-16 –Prince & The New Power Generation How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore 5:07
    CD3-17 –Prince & The New Power Generation Anna Stesia 13:13
    One Nite Alone... The Aftershow: It Ain't Over! (Up Late With Prince And The NPG)
    CD4-1 –Prince & The NPG* Joy In Repetition 10:57
    CD4-2 –Prince & The NPG* Featuring George Clinton We Do This 4:42
    Musiq And Prince & The NPG* Medley: (4:27)
    CD4-3a – Just Friends (Sunny)
    CD4-3b – If You Want Me To Stay
    CD4-4 –Prince & The NPG* 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton 6:15
    CD4-5 –Prince & The NPG* Alphabet Street 2:55
    CD4-6 –Prince & The NPG* Peach (Xtended Jam) 11:19
    CD4-7 –Prince & The NPG* Dorothy Parker 6:17
    CD4-8 –Prince & The NPG* Girls & Boys 7:00
    CD4-9 –Prince & The NPG* The Everlasting Now (Vamp) 1:48
    The NPG Music Club Presents
    Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas

DVD1-1 –Prince Intro / Soundcheck
    DVD1-2 –Prince Pop Life
    DVD1-3 –Prince Money Don't Matter 2 Night / The Work
    DVD1-4 –Prince Push & Pull
    DVD1-5 –Prince 1+1+1=3 (Incl. Love Rollercoaster / Housequake)
    DVD1-6 –Prince Strollin' / U Want Me
    DVD1-7 –Prince Gotta Broken Heart Again
    DVD1-8 –Prince Strange Relationship
    DVD1-9 –Prince Pass The Peas
    DVD1-11 –Prince Whole Lotta Love
    DVD1-11 –Prince Family Name
    DVD1-12 –Prince Take Me With U
    DVD1-13 –Prince The Everlasting Now
    DVD1-14 –Prince Sometimes It Snows In April
    Bonus Clip:
    DVD1-15 –Prince The Ride

--------------------------------------------------------
    So this is a look at the dvd Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas, but I thought as it is available in the Up All Nite collection, which seems fairly reasonably priced, I would throw that in too.

I haven't watched this before though I have seen it around forever. I actually bought it for my wife, but she basically said she didn't know anything off it, although she was exaggerating, so I just said that's cool, I'll have it :) (I did buy her several Prince cd's that she wanted, I was being a dick :) )

I put the straight dvd link on amazon up there
    Up All Nite is on discogs for about $34 https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Up-A...he-One-Nite-Alone-Collection/release/15419927
    It is about $30 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Up-All-Nite-Prince-Collection/dp/B084P2HF1M
    At the Prince website it is about $40 https://store.prince.com/product/5QCDPR032/up-all-nite-with-prince-the-one-nite-alone-collection

So I am going to just dive in before I run out of time

Lpcm 48/16 stereo only
    I'm not sure what the screen ratio is. It's a semi-widescreen picture that sits in the middle of the screen.... but the picture is pretty poor, it is quite poorly pixelated...
    I don't know if the original dvd was?

We open with a really solid version of Pop Life, with a nice jazz outro.
    The us a solid band, and the audio sounds good to me.

We get the intro to Money Dont Matter..., but it is just a snippet, and we roll into The Work. It's a solid jamming track and comes over well.

Push and Pull has Nikka Costa coming out for the lead vocal, again a solid version and Prince does some backing vocals and burns up the fretboard on his guitar.
    Then Nikka does some wailing, and here the audio is a bit... dodgy as the vocal is wiping everything else out, but also fluctuating in volume.

1+1+1 is 3
    This is again actually cool jam. This concert deserved better audio and video all round, but the audio isn't too bad, just a little uneven.
    I really like the fact that Prince seems relaxed and focused on the music, rather than putting on a show.
    He's a really nice rhythm guitarist too.
    One thing about Prince shows, is his bands are always top notch, and like Zappa he knows how to use them to best effect, and they follow his every signal.
    He gets some folks on stage to dance.
    We slide into Love Rollercoaster for a chorus, then we break into Housequake.
    Maceo blows out some nice sax.
    Prince rocks out a bit and the track finishes...
    We get a fade out, and slide smoothly into...

Strollin' a smooth falsetto vocal leads into a really nice lead on a beautiful thick bodied semi-acoustic.
    A jam in a really nice funky jazz groove breaks out, and the keyboard player lays it down. The horn players take some leads.
    We move into U Want Me. Strollin closes us out.

The band moves into a mellow cocktail jazz jam, and Prince moves into a really gentle falsetto for Gotta A Broken Heart Again.
    We move into a big sax lead, and the video is stills, and video inserts from a different part of the night.
    We drop back into the video Dr o we are hearing, and Prince really lays down a nice vocal.

Strange Relationship has Prince sitting at the keyboards.
    Solid version of the song with a nice Bass lead from Rhonda.

Pass the Peas has Maceo on the mic and the we move into a sort of funk jam.

Whole Lotta Love starts off and it captures the vibe of the original, with. Prince twist. We get the first verse and chorus and the Princetakes us for a wander with his lead guitar.
    Then we break down, and move into a funk lead, and Prince starts grooving on a whisper vocal with some effect guitar, delay and vibrato bar mostly.
    During this the band is jamming along at minimum volume.
    Prince lays his hanky on the guitar on the floor, and the band comes back up and the groove changes and we move into the excellent

Family Name. This has a really dirty funk groove. Prince on keys.
    Prince grabs his love symbol guitar and cuts loose for a minute and we roll back into Family Name.
    A bit of a political statement here and we close with MLK.

Take Me With U is starts off pretty straight but we get a nice tacet section.
    The song comes over really well. Really solid version

The Everlasting Now, this is a really cool groovin' track with a little bit of everything.

We get an end of the show thing.
    Then we fade back for Sometimes It Snows In April. Essentially Prince on the keyboards, with strings? in support
    A small box of video of Prince with credits rolling underneath.

For me this dvd is a terribly frustrating one, because the show is really good, and I imagine the whole show would have been even better.
    The downsides ... The video quality is not very high. It is not unwatchable, and it does fluctuate, but it leans towards being just pixelated enough to be annoying, but not pixelated enough to be unwatchable.
    The audio and mix are generally very good, there is a synthesised hand clap through a fair bit of the show that is a little too high in the mix, and I assume it is a very live performance, because there are a couple of instances where the vocals, only one and minimally with Prince, are a little uneven in volume, and when paying attention it is where the mouth and the mic are that seem to cause it. So it appears they didn't compress and limit the vocals to smooth that out.

The upsides, Prince just has such great bands, and is such a great performer, that it feels essential in spite of the flaws....
    A really hard call.... I would love someone who has the original dvd to speak up and let us know whether that had these same flaws, I guess it is possible that they did a transfer for the little box, and it didn't work properly...

That's probably about all I have.

PS - The Mrs decided she does want this set :)

Jagger69 and riskylogic like this.