Live on Saturdays: Video Reviews and Summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riskylogic, Feb 15, 2020.

1. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Computer World 3D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Video Collection by Kraftwerk
    Released 26 May 2017 (as part of 3-D The Catalogue)
    Recorded 9 April 2012 – 14 October 2016
    Venue Various
    Genre Electronic
    Length 285:49 (For the entire Catalogue - Computer World excerpt is 25:47 minutes)
    Label Kling Klang - Parlophone

Computer World (German: Computerwelt) is the eighth studio album by German electronic band Kraftwerk, released on 10 May 1981. The album deals with the themes of the rise of computers within society. In keeping with the album's concept, Kraftwerk showcased their music on an ambitious world tour. The compositions are credited to Ralf Hütter, Florian Schneider, and Karl Bartos. As was the case with the two previous albums, Computer World was released in both German- and English-language editions.

3-D The Catalogue (German: 3-D Der Katalog) is the second official live album and most recent release by German electronic music band Kraftwerk. It was released on 26 May 2017 and was released on several formats, including a four-disc Blu-ray box set, an eight-disc CD box set and a nine-disc vinyl box set. It comprises live versions of every Kraftwerk song from Autobahn (1974) to Tour de France Soundtracks (2003). The performances were recorded between April 2012 and October 2016 at venues around the world. The album was nominated for Best Surround Sound Album and won Best Dance/Electronic Album at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards, marking the band's first Grammy win.

The version of Computer World found in 3-D The Catalogue is an abbreviated version with a different track order, and it was recorded live. I’ve singled it out for review on this thread because a) it’s one of my favorite Kraftwerk albums, and b) I don’t want to do the whole thing.

Personnel
    Ralf Hütter – lead vocals, vocoder, synthesizers, keyboards
    Fritz Hilpert – electronic percussion
    Henning Schmitz – electronic percussion, live keyboards
    Falk Grieffenhagen – live video technician

Track Listing
    1. Numbers 2:58
    2. Computer World 3:22
    3. It's More Fun To Compute 1:03
    4. Home Computer 5:09
    5. Computer Love 6:33
    6. Pocket Calculator 3:26
    7. Dentaku 3:08

Track times are from the CDs.

Version Control
    The original Computer World has been released in many formats. But what this review is really about is the version found on 3-D The Catalogue. It was released in CD, LP, and bluray formats. There are also English and German versions. I have the English bluray version, but it’s not all English. The first seven tracks on disc 2 are derived from the original Computer World.

The Videos
    I have two systems in two different places. My newer one in town is 5.2.2 and has a larger (65”) screen, and it does 4K. Most of my reviews are done with it, especially blurays and especially discs with Atmos. In particular, that is what I used for review of Kraftwerk – 3D 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, which is a single disc compilation of the four disc Catalog. The older system that I have in the mountains is 7.1. I typically only use it for DVDs that are basically stereo only. The one exception to that rule is that I used to play U2 – Rattle and Hum, which is a HDDVD with a 6.1 mix.

However, system #2 can also do 3D playback. It’s an old Sony TV with passive 3D; not as good as the Samsung with active 3D screen I gave up to upgrade to 4K. But not before viewing 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 several times. I’ve giving it a whirl with the Catalogue, which I acquired after my 4K upgrade of the other system.

“Numbers”
    The first thing to remark upon is that the surround sounds great. Maybe not quite as good as the Atmos system, but almost. The ceiling height rear speakers seem some discrete elements.

The video starts out in 2D, with the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 counting out on screen along with the audio in the center channel. But the audio and the video both go three 3D, with the spoken numbers coming out of other speakers in both German and English while the numbers on screen multiply and start moving towards and away from the viewer. Then the numbers start moving in a 3D sinusoidal pattern. Very cool.

“Computer World”
    Static number background, with 3D computer (same as on the cover) superimposed, and along with 3D lyrics. Not nearly as cool, but numbers in sinusoidal pattern return briefly.

“It's More Fun To Compute / Home Computer”
    These two tracks are part of the same video. Starts with green shapes on screen reminiscent of the old green screens that served as early computer monitors. Then we get an abstract set of multicolored patterns in 3D that vaguely look like a circuit board.

“Computer Love”
    Three oscilloscope lines that start out in 2D and eventually go 3D. Very nice surround swirling, and pretty much outstanding surround all the way through. Lyrics in English.

“Pocket Calculator”
    3D Calculator on a white background, with an animated hand in front. The surround is percussion heavy in front with synth spinning around in the rear. Lyrics in English.

“Dentaku”
    A Japanese version of “Pocket Calculator”. Same 3D calculator, but on a yellow background with a Japanes inscription on the left, no hand. Lyrics switch to English at the end, and the hand makes another appearance.
    _______

Even though I have had it for about year, I still haven’t watched all of The Catalogue. I think I’ve watched all of disc 1 (first four albums, film version). I also checked out disc 3 to see how much different it is, and the answer is not very much. The may be my first foray into disc 2. Based on by experience with 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, I don’t expect it to be as good. But it got off to a fine start, and that because the original album was their last classic.

The surround is really top notch. I didn’t really try to describe it any detail because, well, it’s all just a bunch of synthesizers. That said, what’s on here can’t really be counted as a surround version of the original album. Not only is it a rerecording, it clocks in at over 10 minutes less than the original, and the song order is different.

“Numbers” is very cool in 3D, but the rest of it is not nearly as compelling. Both “Numbers” and “Computer World” also appear on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. From what I have seen most of the best 3D videos are on that disc. The main reason to acquire The Catalogue is for the audio and surround (“Computer Love “ is the best track), for video purposes the one disc compilation is raelly better.

I don’t really see the point of discs 3 and 4 – I’d be just as happy with a 2-disc set. However, one of the things I learned while writing this up is that one of the guys up on stage is not a musician at all; he is responsible for the video in some way. I have no idea what he actually does other than to perhaps press play at the right moment.

Music – 2.5 (The original album is a 3)
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 2 for 2D, 3 for 3D
    Video quality – 3
    Surround – 3

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I haven't got 3d tv, but this set is essential to anyone that likes kraftwerk, regardless of 2 or 3d

weekendtoy and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  3. riskylogic

You really must have a surround system to get your money's worth out of The Catalogue.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

definitely

5. mark winstanley

The Kinks ‎– One For The Road
    Label: Velvel ‎– VEL-DV-79818, Konk ‎– VEL-DV-79818
    Format: DVD, DVD-Video
    Released: 2006
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Classic Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 Introduction
    2 All Day And All Of The Night
    3 Lola
    4 Low Budget
    5 Superman
    6 Attitude
    7 Celluloid Heroes
    8 The Hard Way
    9 Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    10 You Really Got Me
    11 Pressure
    12 Catch Me Now I'm Falling
    13 Victoria
    -------------------------------------------------
    The Kinks are one of my favourite bands. They covered so much music, and essentially had their own style. Starting off as a British beat band of the sixties, with that somewhat R&B, variation on the US sound, they quickly developed into their own band.
    From pretty much the very start, they were innovators, and moved through so many different styles within a short period of time.
    One of their earliest singles, You Really Got Me is basically the prototype for hard rock/metal/punk/ and garage rock. They played around with this technique in several songs, but also moved in vastly different fields.
    See My Friends is an Indian inspired piece of music with a tilt towards psychedelia, before that was really a thing, and also pre-dates the Beatles journey's into raga.
    They had thematic singles with A and B sides that worked thematically, sometimes in unison, and sometimes polar opposites, but presented in such a way that it is hard to avoid the fact that they were themed.
    The band was banned from touring the US for a number of years, because when they went over there, the industry folks were disturbed at the fighting between the brothers, and thought they were a menace or something ...
    This actually enabled Ray Davies the main writer for the band to refocus himself, and it gave him the freedom to explore his Englishness via song, and over a five or six year period they released some of the best albums that the sixties ever produced.
    To some degree these albums have been seriously underappreciated, partly due to the ban limiting the bands exposure. Partly due to the fact that although they were a top class band, they were on a second class label. The band didn't have the industry clout and equipment of most of the other bands at the time, and in spite of their brilliant groundbreaking work, they tended to sit behind the crowd for the majority of music listeners.

Ray Davies himself is among the most under appreciated song writers of the sixties and seventies, and I guess that is partly due to Ray just doing whatever he wanted and not really pandering to the market or expectations.
    I think the early albums - Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola and Muswell Hillbillies, are essential albums for any music lovers collection.
    The band, or likely more particularly Ray moved into doing Thematic, play type albums... generally referred to as Rock Operas, but that's somewhat selling the albums short, because really they were a somewhat natural carry on from the Music Hall influences that had covered the albums listed above.
    Somewhat typically these albums were filled with pop/rock hits like Lola and Apeman, and the dozens prior to those, and so a lot of folks didn't really get into that idea.... yet they are very good albums, that thematically work, and get across the message that he was trying to send.
    The first series of these albums were Preservation Act I and Act II, which to me are both excellent albums, and almost certainly a natural follow on from the Village Green Preservation Society album. A Soap Opera and Schoolboys In Disgrace followed, both in 1975, and then Ray changed direction again.

Much to the chagrin of some Kinks fans the band altered their focus, and started making more typical rock music albums, but the thing is for thirteen years they had been experimenting and pushing boundaries and exploring many facets of music. They had explored just about every angle you could about England and English society, and Ray redirected his attentions to other areas. With this came a more stripped down rock sound.... essentially it was a going back to the roots of the band, Your Really Got Me, All Day And All Of The Night, Till The End Of The Day, Where Have All The Good Times Gone, but of course instead of being seen as a return to roots by some, it was seen as selling out to the US market ... which I think is a little short sighted, and tends to ignore who the band started off as. It is essentially the band coming full circle after a glorious journey through many different streams and fields.

This all culminated in the album Low Budget coming out in 1979, which was the band's top charting album in the US, hitting number 11. The band went on a tour and the live album One For The Road came out in 1980.
    One For The Road was my first Kinks album, and even though it has studio additions to it, it is one of my favourite live albums of all time.
    Around 2000/2001 I suddenly noticed there was a dvd of One For The Road, and of course I had to get it. It is quite different to the album, and it captures the band firing on all cylinders in the world of rock. For some it will be disappointing because it doesn't have Waterloo Sunset, Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, Dead End Street, Mr Pleasant, and a plethora of quirky and unforgettable Kinks songs from the sixties, but the band were trying something different, and they were doing it well. They were claiming their rightful crown as the originators of hard rock essentially, and why shouldn't they....

Initially I was somewhat disappointed with the dvd, because it is only 60 minutes, and lots of stuff from the album I would have loved wasn't there, but that is an expectations related issue, not a quality issue. Hopefully one day we can get perhaps the full show, but for now, I am content with what we were given.

As I am such a cyclical listener, I haven't listened to/watched this in ages.... and last night while I was off in la la land I put youtube on and Celluloid Heroes came on from this disc, and so today, I wanted to give it a listen/watch....

Sorry about the rambling.... I guess that's just how I feel today :)

Sadly the dvd is nearly a hundred bucks on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kinks-One-Road/dp/B000GNOGUQ
    Completely unavailable on discogs
    There are a lot of copies on ebay from between about $25 - $80 the kinks one for the road dvd | eBay
    Ultra Music Store has the Russian version of this, with the full cd (not a cdr) and the dvd for about $16 Euros (be aware that it says it is not a secured site) THE KINKS "One for the road" CD+DVD set in digipack

We have three audio settings
    AC3
    Dave Davies commentary
    And original mono

The intro is an instrumental version of You Really Got Me, it is edited for the video, and is a snippet.

All Day And All If The Night
    Ray is bouncing around like a madman, and I reckon Doc Neesan of the Angel's may have been inspired by Ray.
    During the show Ray picks up and puts down his guitar. He picks it up here for Dave to let loose with a lead break.
    Dave is a very underrated guitarist, not a flash meister, but a really solid rock guitarist who is versatile enough to cover the bases.

We have a 4:3 ration video, and the quality is good. I would guess it was shot on videotape, but the clarity is solid, and very watchable.

I think All Day.... is an edited version, compared to the album, but they could be from different shows, although I don't think they are.
    Also it is obviously from late in the set, but put up front.

After All Day.... we get a short back stage sequence, introducing the band members with subtitles as they walk out to the stage... it isn't distracting, or like a doco insert, the concert maintains its flow.

Lola was a big track for the band, and was the signal that the band was able to return to the US.
    Here we get the famous intro where Ray plays the the opening chords, and then says, we're not going to play that one tonight... the showman aspect of Ray is often overlooked, and he brings his love of theater to the bands live shows.

We get the title track of the touring album, Low Budget. This is a great rock song, and Ray is in full entertainer mode.
    Vocal accents and revving the crowd up are entertaining.
    The band is super tight and firing on all cylinders.

Superman live is excellent, and loses a few of the effects of the album version.
    Ray's lyric works so very well. A gentle stab at the state of the world, with a self deprecating tilt. This song is just another brilliant Kinks song.
    I'm pretty sure this is slightly extended from the album version.

This is a high energy performance, everyone is tight into it, and knocking it out of the park.

Attitude is a straight ahead rocker, with a bit of a punkish feel. It's a little more smooth, but the heart of it is rough and ready. Another great lyric, and performance.

Celluloid Heroes.... this is one of my favourite songs of all time. The music is great, and the lyrics are simply wonderful.
    We open up with a bit of a jam on the theme, and then move into the song.
    We get video of the crowd getting tickets and assembling in the arena, and the band backstage.
    We get back to the stage at the verse before Dave's melodic lead break.

The Hard Way is from Schoolboys in Disgrace. Ray puts on an old man mask, taking on the guise of the headmaster.
    This is a great rock song, and shows part of why Schoolboys is a better album than often suggested.

Where Have All The Good Times Gone, is another Kinks track that Van Halen covered. We open with a quick snippet of archive footage of the band back in the sixties, as this was off their third album, Kontroversy. The old footage and new smoothly works together. Another great version of the song.

You Really Got Me opens with a tease chord. Then takes off at a rate of knots.
    This is an adrenaline pumped version, with the band and the crowd feeding off each other nicely.
    Dave drops to his knees to break into the lead break, and some idiot grabs his fretboard, Dave pushes his hands away, and gets up and continues his lead.

Pressure is another light speed rocker, and another great lyric. Again off the new album.
    The band were never afraid to lead with the new material, and were far from a nostalgia act..... which is the likely reason for omitting a lot of the sixties hits.
    This is prime, grade A beef rock music.
    Here we get the titles rolling, and the band leaving the stage.... the crowd are obviously pumped up...

Another great new track, Catch Me Now I'm Falling. Sure it has the Stones Jack Flash riff, but it is a variant, and the song goes off on many different tangents.
    This is Ray looking at the US and its state in the late seventies, but ties in with the idea of an individual as well.
    Another great live performance.

Victoria opens the classic Arthur album, and stylistically suits this hard rocking version of the band.
    This is just a great live performance, and everyone is having a blast.

The crowd is rapturous and even though the house lights come on, the folks of Providence want more.... just a great show.

Just having a quick listen to Dave's commentary. He is in the centre and the music is spread more, and Dave is just making little comments.
    Some of it is very interesting, some of it is just little comments.

The special features starts with Kinkdom, an interactive map of the London tube system, with a lot of selectable places on the map, with a loop of a tube station announcer.
    Simply select the location, and it links to a video snippet of the location and a little snippet of the relevance to the Kinks
    ie Soho - seedy part of London where Lola was met.
    Kassner Publishing 25 Denmark street where the band got their first publishing deal.

There is a trivia game, with questions and multiple choice answers.
    You answer the questions and get Celluloid Heroes as a bonus with video of Dave doing his commentary.

The discography is a simple scroll through, 5-ish albums covers, titles and year released per screen.

I suppose in some ways this is a slightly flawed release, not in the quality of music or anything like that, more in the unusual way that it is set out. I may be very wrong, but I get the impression that there was footage missing, and perhaps that's why we don't get the full show ... perhaps it was just somebody's artistic choice to do it this way ... but regardless of all that, this is a fine document of the Kinks at the height of their US popularity, putting on a great rock show, that can easily be seen down the ages as a great rock show.
    I personally think that any serious Kinks fan, that hasn't got some particular dislike of the late seventies style of the band, would want this ... I also kind of feel that it may well bring interested observers into the appreciating the band, as a great live outfit, with some remarkably good songs.
    I think the Kinks made some fantastic albums, and I would consider at the very least half a dozen of them essential classic albums of the rock era, but the band never really had a producer, like most of the big bands in the world of big time rock. So sometimes, in fact often the band is presented well in the live environment where they just play their hearts out and Give The People What They Want.

I reckon this is great and worth looking at. God Save The Kinks.

I suppose it is predictable, but Lola live, just great fun

6. riskylogic

I've reviewed most of the titles I started with. The exception is the Pink Floyd - Pulse DVD, which I'm just might come out on bluray sometime soon. I've 15-20 new titles still, but my stack is dwindling, and I'm in no rush to finish it off. So, I'll just settle for a second opinion review this week:

Scaggs, Boz – Greatest Hits Live. I think maybe I used to have Silk Degrees as an LP, but I have no CDs of his in my digital collection. So I've never been big fan, but I still have always had a favorable impression. On the promise of good surround, I popped for it even though it is kind of pricey for an old DVD.

The video is excellent for a DVD, another one that should probably be a 2.5 if I did such things. But I will carry the half point over to the stage performance which might be on the fence otherwise.

The set list is probably all the Boz Scaggs I would ever want. Has a pretty good range of blues, jazz, and American folk. It all sounds great, but it doesn't make me want out and get more either.

The surround is indeed fantastic. It's a discrete mix. The guys in back (keys and horns) are usually mixed to the rear. The co-vocalists are usually in front, but they appear in the back too when they have more of a backing vocalist role. I'm definitely going to rip both the stereo and 5.1 layers to my audio collection.

Music – 2.5
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 2
    Surround – 3

7. riskylogic

Actually, I do have Silk Degrees on CD. I forgot. Greatest Hits Live has a both a DD mix that allegedly 6.1, plus a DTS 5.1 mix. The latter is the one I listened to for the review and ripped, but I may check out the DD on my 7.1 system. The stereo mix is DD only, which is disappointing.

Jagger69 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

It has been out on Blu-ray for a while, but only as part of Pink Floyd: The Later Years. I expect it will be given a separate release in due time, just like Delicate Sound of Thunder and Knebworth.
    [​IMG]

9. riskylogic

Yes, I knew that. I got Delicate Sound of Thunder as a stand alone, so I figure this one should come along soon too.

10. riskylogic

Live in San Diego

[​IMG]

Live Performance by Eric Clapton
    Released 10 March 2017 (DVD)
    Recorded 15 March 2007
    Venue iPayOne Center, San Diego, California
    Length 2 hours (DVD)
    Label Reprise (Warner Music Group)
    Producers Simon ClimieEric Clapton

Live in San Diego (alternatively known as Live in San Diego with special guest JJ Cale) is the thirteenth live album (and a live DVD) by British rock musician Eric Clapton. It was released through Reprise Records as a live album on 30 September 2016 and as a 2-hour live DVD on 10 March 2017.

The concert took place during the two-year long "Doyle & Derek World Tour" Clapton held together with Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks from 2006 to 2007 leading up to the Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007 at Chicago's Toyota Park. Both audio and video filming for the release began on 15 March 2007 during the concert at the Ipayone Center in San Diego, California. Before performing with Cale at the venue, Clapton said: "This is the realization of what may have been my last ambition: to work with the man whose music has inspired me for as long as I can remember."

Critic George Varga from the San Diego Union Tribune reviewed: "Thursday's show was the sole date to feature a cameo by Cale, who has long been one of Clapton's idols. Sitting side-by-side with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall, Clapton and Cale amiably sang and played together on such Cale-penned gems as 'After Midnight' [and] 'Cocaine'. Clearly delighted, Clapton beamed and grinned throughout Cale's five-song guest spot." The sell-out concert with 10,911 people in attendance grossed $837,570.

Rhythm guitarist Doyle Bramhall II told the online magazine The Wall Street Journal that "[we] were in the middle of a tour when Eric brought J. J. on for the show in San Diego, so it felt like we were a well-oiled band ready to support; Eric and J. J. could just let go and not think about anything other than the magic they were creating." When Bramhall II was asked about the performance, he described it as a "slide-guitar orchestra" and added: "It was a very high energy song and I remember feeling like we were holding on to it like a ride."

Personnel
    Eric Clapton – guitar · lead vocals · producer
    Doyle Bramhall II – guitar · backing vocals
    Derek Trucks – slide guitar
    Willie Weeks – bass guitar
    Steve Jordan – drums
    Chris Stainton – keyboards
    Tim Carmon – keyboards
    Michelle John – backing vocals
    Sharon White – backing vocals

Guest Musicians
    J. J. Cale – guitar · vocals (tracks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
    Robert Cray – guitar · vocals (track 16)

Track Listing
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Tell the Truth" Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock 6:23
    2. "Key to the Highway" Charlie Segar 4:12
    3. "Got to Get Better in a Little While" Eric Clapton 9:35
    4. "Anyday" Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock 6:05
    5. "Anyway the Wind Blows" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:32
    6. "After Midnight" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:44
    7. "Who Am I Telling You?" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 4:52
    8. "Don't Cry Sister" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 3:33
    9. "Cocaine" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:31
    10. "Motherless Children" Blind Willie Johnson 5:23
    11. "Little Queen of Spades" Robert Johnson 17:21
    12. "Further on up the Road" Don Robey · Joe Medwick Veasey 6:49
    13. "Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton 4:31
    14. "Layla" Eric Clapton · Jim Gordon 8:25
    15. "Crossroads" (with Robert Cray) Robert Johnson 6:55

Version Control
    Besides being released on CD, the concert video is available on either bluray or DVD. For some reason I have the DVD. I think it was probably the only option available at the time. Amazon.

The Concert
    The video is about as good as a DVD gets. I don’t regret not getting the bluray on that count, but even though the stereo is PCM, the 5.1 is DD only. I’d just watch with stereo, but the surround is pretty good, with keyboards mixed to the rears. So I'm a little bummed that I didn’t get the bluray.

"Tell the Truth"
    From Derek and the Dominoes Layla. The camera shots are dominated by closeups, so it’s going to take me a while to figure out how they are lined up on stage. However, Trucks and Clapton are front and center and they are getting most of the camera. Clapton is lead vocalist.

"Key to the Highway"
    Originally recorded with BB King. Bramhall is over on the left and he shares both lead vocals and guitar. Weeks is to the right of Clapton, while Jordan is center rear. Stainton is on the far right while Carmen is on the left. Not sure whether it’s Carmen or Stainton in the rear at this point.

"Got to Get Better in a Little While"
    Clapton tune written while in Derek and the Dominoes. Clapton lead vocals, while John and White chime in for what I think is the first time; they are rear left between Carmen and Jordan. Some guitar in addition to the keyboards in the rear, Bramhall I think. Weeks with a bass solo.

"Anyday"
    From Derek and the Dominoes Layla. Clapton and Bramhall lead vocals. Clapton lead vocal is in center channel while Bramhall is on the left. Key and backing vocals in the rear. Trucks with a guitar solo on the right. End of the first blues set.

"Anyway the Wind Blows"
    From J.J. Cale Okie. The Cale set begins. Bramhall, Trucks, Cale, and Clapton are all seated front and center. Jordan and Weeks are in back. Stainton on keys. Cale and Clapton vocals mixed left and right using rears. Key also in rears, everything else in front.

"After Midnight"
    From J.J. Cale Naturally. John and White come back as does Carmen. Trucks solo on right making heavy use of rear, then Cale gets one on the left. Backing vocals are in front though.

"Who Am I Telling You?"
    From J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton The Road to Escondido. Stainton starts it off in front, which makes me think it’s Carmen in the rear. Clapton and Cales take turns singing lead. Trucks on far right again. Clapton with the last solo.

"Don't Cry Sister"
    From J.J. Cale 5. Clapton and Cale share lead vocals, take turns playing lead guitar.

"Cocaine"
    From J.J. Cale Troubadour. Cale and Clapton with vocals, but Bramhall and Trucks with solos. Some unique guitar in the rear, but I’m not sure who it is. End of Cale set.

"Motherless Children"
    Blues standard covered on 461 Ocean Boulevard. Cale is gone and all the band members are standing again. Clapton lead vocals in center, John and White backing also in front. Trucks plays the slide. Nothing special going on in back, the mix seems to have gone ambient.

"Little Queen of Spades"
    Robert Johnson cover. Starts out with Stainton solo front right, the Clapton solo front left, then lead vocal in center. Left side of the stage not busy at all. But the song keeps going for a long time and Bramhall gets a long turn on the far left, then Trucks gets a long turn sliding on the far right.

"Further on up the Road"
    Blues standard cover. Clapton sings, Bramhall plays lead. John and White backing again. Trucks playing without slide. Carmen keyboards come back in the rear again. Trucks gets shot at lead, and he’s playing slide again, Stainton with solo keys front right. Clapton gets the last solo though.

"Wonderful Tonight"
    From Slowhand. Clapton guitar and Stainton keys to start. Then vocals from Clapton with John and White backing. Unique guitar in rear, Bramhall I think.

"Layla"
    From Derek and the Dominoes Layla. All the guitarists are busy, Carmen seems to be helping with backing vocals. Stainton slows it down with a piano solo, then Clapton plays solo. End of set.

"Crossroads"
    Robert Johnson cover. Robert Cray comes out for the encore and we’re back up to four guitarists. Cray and Clapton share lead vocals, John and White are backing, while all four guitarists take a turn at lead. Trucks is slideless.
    _______

The set list has more JJ Cale material than usual, plus it also has JJ Cale. It’s a bit heavy on Layla material too. Not up there with the Clapton–Winwood set but still very good. The video and audio are both decent on my DVD, but I have 2 points worth of regret by not getting the bluray.

The video presentation is a little wonky. Lots of close up shots, shots from the side and the rear, none of which make it seem as if you are watching a live concert. Early on I was thinking the surround mix might earn full marks, but it kind of petered out towards the end. Still better than average for a live concert though.

This is my fourth Clapton video and I’m thinking maybe I have enough. Some more Robert Cray might be good though.

Music – 2.5
    Sound quality – 2 (DVD), 3 (bluray)
    Video presentation – 2
    Video quality – 2 (DVD), 3 (Bluray)
    Surround – 2

11. mark winstanley

Cheap Trick ‎– Budokan!
    Label: Epic ‎– 88697 72661 2, Legacy ‎– 88697 8872661 2
    Format: DVD, DVD-Video, NTSC, Multichannel CD, Album
    Released: 2010
    Style: Power Pop

[​IMG]

Friday April 28th
    DVD-1 Hello There 1:33
    DVD-2 Elo Kiddies 4:03
    DVD-3 Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace) 5:22
    DVD-4 Lookout 3:04
    DVD-5 Downed 4:25
    DVD-6 Can't Hold On 6:17
    DVD-7 Oh Caroline 2:58
    DVD-8 Surrender 4:45
    DVD-9 Auf Wiedersehen 3:56
    DVD-10 Southern Girls 3:40
    DVD-11 I Want You To Want Me 3:42
    DVD-12 California Man 3:52
    DVD-13 Goodnight 3:40
    DVD-14 Ain't That A Shame 4:23
    DVD-15 Clock Strikes Ten 4:08
    Bonus Features:
    DVD-16 Budokan 1978: Come On, Come On 2:46
    DVD-17 Budokan 2008: Voices 5:11
    DVD-18 Budokan 2008: If You Want My Love 3:31
    DVD-19 Cheap Trick 2008 Interview: Looking Back 15:01

Friday April 28th
    CD-1 Hello There 1:59
    CD-2 Come On, Come On 2:57
    CD-3 Elo Kiddies 4:03
    CD-4 Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace) 5:20
    CD-5 Big Eyes 3:44
    CD-6 Lookout 3:04
    CD-7 Downed 4:27
    CD-8 Can't Hold On 6:16
    CD-9 Oh Caroline 2:59
    CD-10 Surrender 4:45
    CD-11 Auf Wiedersehen 3:57
    CD-12 Need Your Love 9:13
    CD-13 High Roller 4:21
    CD-14 Southern Girls 3:40
    CD-15 I Want You To Want Me 3:43
    CD-16 California Man 3:54
    CD-17 Goodnight 3:20
    CD-18 Ain't That A Shame 4:22
    CD-19 Clock Strikes Ten 3:34

This is also available as a dvd and 3cd set..... I personally have the dvd/cd set, but I do have a separate 2cd set of the "Complete Concert" ... The dvd is the same in both, so the version isn't really any major issue here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Friday April 28th
    DVD-1 Hello There 1:33
    DVD-2 Elo Kiddies 4:03
    DVD-3 Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace) 5:22
    DVD-4 Lookout 3:04
    DVD-5 Downed 4:25
    DVD-6 Can't Hold On 6:17
    DVD-7 Oh Caroline 2:58
    DVD-8 Surrender 4:45
    DVD-9 Auf Wiedersehen 3:56
    DVD-10 Southern Girls 3:40
    DVD-11 I Want You To Want Me 3:42
    DVD-12 California Man 3:52
    DVD-13 Goodnight 3:40
    DVD-14 Ain't That A Shame 4:23
    DVD-15 Clock Strikes Ten 4:08
    Bonus Features:
    DVD-16 Budokan 1978: Come On, Come On 2:46
    DVD-17 Budokan 2008: Voices 5:11
    DVD-18 Budokan 2008: If You Want My Love 3:31
    DVD-19 Cheap Trick 2008 Interview: Looking Back 15:01

Friday April 28th
    CD1-1 Hello There 1:59
    CD1-2 Come On, Come On 2:57
    CD1-3 Elo Kiddies 4:03
    CD1-4 Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace) 5:20
    CD1-5 Big Eyes 3:44
    CD1-6 Lookout 3:04
    CD1-7 Downed 4:27
    CD1-8 Can't Hold On 6:16
    CD1-9 Oh Caroline 2:59
    CD1-10 Surrender 4:45
    CD1-11 Auf Wiedersehen 3:57
    CD1-12 Need Your Love 9:13
    CD1-13 High Roller 4:21
    CD1-14 Southern Girls 3:40
    CD1-15 I Want You To Want Me 3:43
    CD1-16 California Man 3:54
    CD1-17 Goodnight 3:20
    CD1-18 Ain't That A Shame 4:22
    CD1-19 Clock Strikes Ten 3:34

At Budokan - The Complete Concert
    CD2-1 Hello There 2:42
    CD2-2 Come On, Come On 2:59
    CD2-3 Elo Kiddies 3:57
    CD2-4 Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace) 6:03
    CD2-5 Big Eyes 3:49
    CD2-6 Lookout 3:11
    CD2-7 Downed 4:38
    CD2-8 Can't Hold On 6:13
    CD2-9 Oh Caroline 2:58
    CD2-10 Surrender 4:39
    CD2-11 Auf Wiedersehen 4:08

CD3-1 Need Your Love 8:54
    CD3-2 High Roller 4:27
    CD3-3 Southern Girls 3:53
    CD3-4 I Want You To Want Me 3:36
    CD3-5 California Man 3:54
    CD3-6 Goodnight 3:04
    CD3-7 Ain't That A Shame 5:02
    CD3-8 Clock Strikes Ten 3:49
    -------------------------------------------------
    Cheap Trick Budokan is one of those live albums that has a huge following and will often get put in the best live albums of all time lists.
    I'm not sure it quite gets in my best live albums of all time list, but it is really very good, and I liked it enough to get the Complete Concert and the MFSL original master gold disc (part of that was being in the right place at the right time, with the money available though, it must be said)

Anyway, when I saw there was a dvd available of it, I pretty much had to get it, because I really like live albums, but I love well done concert videos ....
    I have watched this a couple of time, but frankly it has been a while, and I can't recall which side of the fence this comes out on.

The dvd/cd is available on discogs from $25 Cheap Trick – Budokan! (2010, DVD)

The dvd/3cd is available on discogs from $66.12 Cheap Trick – Budokan! (2008, DVD)
    on Amazon from $89 https://www.amazon.com/Budokan-30th-Anniversary-DVD-CDs/dp/B001FA30V0

it is also available to rent on Prime for $2.99

My sister got Dream Police for a present at some point in time back in the day, and when she became tired of any of her records, I commandeered them :)
    I love Dream Police, I reckon it is a great album, even though many saw it as teen girl pop at the time, and probably still I guess, it is a great rock album, with a batch of really strong songs, and for me it is still either their best or second best album, fighting it out with One on One, which is another album most seem to not like, that I reckon is great :) ... look I just have lousy taste what can I say.
    As is often the case when I got right into Dream Police, I ended up getting Budokan, because well, frankly I always liked live albums, and it had a live version of Need Your Love, and that was probably my favourite track and the album.

So lets see what this dvd has in store for us.

The audio isca choice of pcm 48khz
    And dolby digital 5.1 48khz
    The screen is 4:3 ratio.

The video quality is surprisingly good.
    The majority of the picture is very clear, except for occasional camera refocusing. It certainly isn't digital bluray crisp, but in terms of picture quality, it is very good.

Hello There comes firing out of the box.
    We get the stage announcer, the band walking to the stage, and straight into it, no messing about here

Elo Kiddies kicks in nicely.

Speak Now opens with Tom Peterson rocking out on his 8 string bass. That bass really gives him the ability to be a rhythm guitar and bass all at the same time, really effective.

Look Out is just a great pop/rock... or I suppose power pop is the popular term.... they were always just a rock band to me.

Downed... this is a great song, and as pretty much always Zander is singing brilliantly.

The 5.1 is essentially an ambient mix, but the mix is good and clear, and to my ears it sounds really good.
    They have done a good job of the video restoration.

Can't Hold On comes over very well too...
    As goofy as Rick Neilson can be, he was an interesting front man, and a solid guitarist.

I remember what my disappointment with this was, and it was the fact that Need Your Love isn't included... I assume there was some videoing issue.

Oh Caroline rocks out.
    Surrender has become a classic, and this live version has always been excellent.

Auf Wiedersehen starts with some more 8 string bass. The band hard rocking along nicely.

Southern Girls is excellent too. This is an excellent band in prime form, having a ton of fun and putting on a great show.

I Want You To Want Me seems to be the song that shot the band into the international spotlight, and it is quite a brilliant piece of pop/rock that, even after all these years, seems to stand up really well.

California Man/Goodnight...
    Look this is a great rock concert.
    The main dvd concert is just on an hour long, and it entertains and rocks.
    Bunn E Carlos with the gigantic sticks is hilarious to me.

We get a quick follow them backstage thing, and they come back out... there's no dawdling or messing around, it's enough to give the continuity a smooth flow, without distracting from the fact that it's a concert... no doco inserts, interviews or that kind of thing.

Ain't That A Shame... I still love this ... I don't even really think of this as being the same as Fats Domino's version, they are two virtually different songs that I enjoy each for completely different reasons.

Clock Strikes Ten, just another great rick song.

In the bonus features we get

Come On Come On starts off really well, and in the first chorus we move into a sort of interview situation, with the guys saying a few random things while a Japanese lady speaks Japanese.
    I assume it's a bonus feature, because they probably realised is would somewhat spoil the flow of the concert.
    We get enough of the song to be worthwhile.

Voices live at Budokan 2008
    The boys obviously looking a little older here, but still sounding very good.
    These tracks are all pcm stereo, and they look and sound good. 4:3 ratio.

If You Want My Love at Budokan 2008
    The monster eighties hit. Another solid version.

The other bonus is some interviews from 2008. It goes for about 15 minutes, and the guys talk about how surprising it was that Japan fell in love with them before they had really even broken, and how insane the situation was, being locked in their hotel rooms unable to leave due to the pandemonium over a virtually ignored midwest US band.
    Even the Japanese tour manager adds his perspective.
    It's really interesting, I never realised how big this was. Typically for me, it's the first time I've watched it lol.

If you're a Cheap Trick fan, you almost certainly have the album, but I think this dvd is pretty much essential. Sure there isn't really much of a 5.1 mix, but the sound is very good. Sure it is in 4:3 ratio, but I honestly don't think it matters. I am surprised I haven't watched this more.
    If you aren't a Cheap Trick fan but like great rock shows, this could well make you a fan.

Surrender

Hymie the Robot, jamesc and Jagger69 like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Daryl Hall & John Oates ‎– Live In Dublin
    Label: Ward Records ‎– GQXS-90004
    Format: Blu-ray
    Released: 18 Mar 2015
    Style: Classic Rock

[​IMG]

Available as

2cd/dvd
    2cd/bluray
    2cd
    dvd
    bluray
    they are all listed under the top post here, with a lot of variation in price Daryl Hall & John Oates - Live In Dublin

The European pressing of the bluray is available from about $15 Daryl Hall & John Oates – Live In Dublin (2015, Blu-ray)
    The dvd and bluray are available from Amazon and both about $20 https://www.amazon.com/Live-Dublin-.../ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

1 Maneater
    2 Out Of Touch
    3 Say It Isn't So
    4 Family Man
    5 It's Uncanny
    6 Back Together Again
    7 Las Vegas Turnaround
    8 She's Gone
    9 Sara Smile
    10 Do What You Want, Be What You Are
    11 I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
    12 Rich Girl
    13 You Make My Dreams
    14 Kiss On My List
    15 Private Eyes
    Bonus Material:
    16 Interviews with Daryl Hall and John Oates

Hall and Oates are an interesting one for me. They were huge when I was a youngster, and I liked a lot of their songs, but never really got around to getting any of their albums until this century, and I actually really like some of their albums. I guess when I was younger I was a bit hot and cold on some of their songs, but I have probably mellowed out a little more, and so I can appreciate some of the songs I wasn't fond of back in the day.

I bought this about 5 years ago, but I have only watched it a couple of times, and I don't know why, I can't remember how much I liked or disliked it, or if it was just a medium ... so lest have a look what the deal is with this one.

The video quality is very good, proper hi-def, widescreen filling, very clear and sharp.

Maneater opens us up, and Hall can still hit all the notes. He seems to be having fun messing with the vocal delivery, but not to the detriment of the song.
    Oates and the sax player do a really nice dual lead break, in unison and harmony.
    Everyone seems relaxed, comfortable and happy.

You're Outta Touch comes next, really solid version and Oates adds a nice lead at the end.

A good venue for the guys, a theater, and apparently the first time they have ever been to Dublin.

The surround is nice. I'd say solid concert surround, all channels being used, and a good spread.

Say It Isn't So comes along.

The band is
    Shane Theriot - guitar
    Brian Dunne - drums
    Porter Carroll Jnr - percussion bvox
    Charlie Dechant - sax
    Eliot Lewis - keys
    Klyde Jones - bass

And the band is really very solid.
    The backing vocals from Oates and whoever else is singing are particularly good.
    There are a lot of folks on stage I guess, but everyone seems to be contributing well, and the sound is excellent.
    Even Say it isn't so has a nice little jam at the end.
    This is a really well done show.

Whether genuine or not Hall ponders the next song and says what about, and starts playing arpeggio, Oates nods acknowledgement and we move into
    Family Man. A great Mike Oldfield track that they do a great version of.
    Theriot is a solid lead player, and takes one here.

Some lighthearted easy going banter in between here comes off as relaxed and genuine.

It's Uncanny
    Oates and Dechant play off each other again in a lead break section. I assume they have been playing together a lot of years.
    We get a nice sort of funk/soul rave up at the end.

I don't know much about these guys really, but Hall and Oates seem very comfortable and relaxed with each other.

Back Together Again.
    Oates takes the main vocal here, and nails it.
    It's somewhat surprising to me to see Hall playing guitar, so far for the whole show, and also obviously in the mix.

Las Vegas Turnaround
    Oates takes the main vocal again, with Hall doing some harmonies.
    Charlie Dechant rolls another really nice sax lead, good player.

She's Gone
    Nice dual vocal from the guys.
    Really solid version.
    A really nice soprano? sax lead.
    Oates lays down some nice lead in the key modulation...

The crowd is obviously loving this, and not surprising because it's an excellent show.

Sara Smile
    Hall leads this in.
    Really excellent reading of this. We move into an adlib section, and Hall doubles his vocals with the guitar nicely.
    Then Theriot lays down a really nice lead.
    The hand signals and such make it clear Hall is the band leader here.

Hall moves to the electric piano for
    Do What You Want, Be What You Are.
    This is a very acceptable 5.1, the video is excellent, we aren't getting ADD editing.... everything about this is smooth and professional, and there is a ... to me at least ... a surprising amount of soul and great musicianship.
    Dechant and Theriot take an excellent lead together and separately and together
    Hall continues on the electric piano, and we get him solo with a tease intro to

I Can't Go For That, and Duchant is now on the flute, and the song slowly moves into the groove over a bit of a jam.
    Duchant and Oates do the unison lead again.
    We get a nice quick audience sing section and then roll straight on with the song, again it has a smooth comfortable jam feel.
    Oates takes a bit of a lead.
    Hall leads a bit of an adlib call and response.
    Hall and Porter Carroll do a bit of vocal jamming, and Carroll gives us some good vocals as well.
    Then we get this nice mellow funk jam with sax lead.

That's about an hour and fifteen minutes and we get the first goodnight.
    Obviously they come back, Hall get back on the electric piano.

Rich Girl
    We get the Hall keys and vocal intro, and then the song kicks in proper.
    We get a solid delivery of this song.
    Some might say it's a lazy vocal from Hall here, and some might say it is a loose delivery. I think it works.

You Make My Dreams
    Really solid straight delivery of this one, and the crowd are all up and bopping at this stage.
    We also get a nice add on coda.

Off and then on again, band introductions.

Kiss On My List
    A really solid version here, that rolls straight into

Private Eyes
    Another spot on version.
    These songs are a little more naturally loose in delivery, but I don't mean loose as in not tight... if that makes sense... it is a great tight band, but the songs breathe, they aren't lifeless carbon copies of the studio versions.

Unless you really hate Hall and Oates, it's hard to imagine someone not liking this. The band all play well. Hall, and Oates both sing really well. The arrangements are fun and have a live edge rather than a show band rigidity.
    Hall sometimes alters melodies, octaves, and rhythmic delivery of his vocals, but to me it seems to line up with a soul type singer just interpreting their own song rather than any kind of inability to get the songs over, and personally I think the whole show works really very well. A very enjoyable concert.

Maneater and Out Of Touch (it wasn't what I was going to post but I assume this is the main promo available)
    I would also say that the video looks a lot better than this on the bluray

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Hymie the Robot and riskylogic like this.
  13. riskylogic

Imaginaerum

[​IMG]

Movie by Nightwish
    Directed by Stobe Harju
    Produced by Neil Dunn, Jukka Helle, André Rouleau, Markus Selin
    Screenplay by Stobe Harju, Mikko Rautalahti, Richard Jackson
    Story by Stobe Harju, Tuomas Holopainen
    Starring Marianne Farley, Quinn Lord, Francis-Xavier McCarthy, Ilkka Villi, Joanna Noyes, Keyanna Fielding, Stéphane Demers, Ron Lea, Hélène Robitaille
    Music by Nightwish, Petri Alanko
    Cinematography Benoît Beaulieu
    Edited by Mathieu Bélanger
    Production companies Solar Films. Caramel Films
    Distributed by Scene Nation
    Release date November 23, 2012
    Running time 85 minutes
    Countries Finland, Canada
    Language English
    Budget $3.7 million

Imaginaerum (also promoted as Imaginaerum by Nightwish) is a 2012 Finnish-Canadian fantasy film co-written and directed by Stobe Harju. It was developed with and features music from Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish's seventh studio album of the same name; Nightwish's keyboardist and songwriter Tuomas Holopainen co-wrote the film. Imaginaerum, which is produced by Markus Selin from Solar Films Inc. along with Nightwish, is the feature film debut of director Stobe Harju.

It received grants from the Finnish Film Foundation, a Finnish government institution. The film received $575,000 toward its $3.7 million budget. The film was originally titled Imaginarium, but the title was later changed to Imaginaerum in order to avoid mix-ups. The film was released on 23 November 2012 in Finland, followed by releases in Germany (21 March 2013), Australia (22 October 2014), and North America (16 June 2015).

Plot
    Thomas Whitman is a 75-year-old former musician who has lapsed into a coma after years of suffering from multi-infarct dementia. As he is clinging to his life while his estranged daughter Gem ponders on signing a do not resuscitate order, Thomas' mind enters a fantasy world where he relives his life as a ten-year-old orphan. After meeting a girl named Ann at the orphanage and acquiring a snow globe containing a dancing figurine named "Arabesque", young Thomas befriends a snowman named "Mr. White", who takes him on a flight to the skies. But while chasing his father Theodore's airplane, Thomas loses his balance and falls into a surreal world bordered by a run-down roller coaster track, which represents his mind and memories. As pieces of the track fall apart, a mechanic, symbolic of Thomas' doctor in the real world, complains about how futile it is to try to repair the track. The doctor looks to a younger Gem for advice who says they should just let it fall apart; this coincides with Gem agreeing to the DNR order in the real world. Thomas meets a younger version of Gem and a 72-year-old Ann, who warn him about Mr. White. He runs to a "dollhouse", where he sees himself and Ann in their 30s, as members of his band Whitman. The elderly Ann once again appears in front of him, warning him that the snowman is evil and is responsible for the loss of his memories.

As he travels to other parts of his past, young Thomas witnesses the simultaneous events of both his father and his older self lamenting the deaths of their wives. Suddenly, Theodore pulls a gun and shoots himself through his head while the older Thomas smashes the Arabesque globe against the wall, resulting in Thomas distancing himself from his daughter. He chases after Gem throughout the dream world as they both age to the present day.

Back in the real world, Gem arrives at Thomas' home, where she encounters Ann. It is revealed that when Thomas and Ann toured together with their band, Thomas' wife was killed in a car accident when Gem was a child. Because Thomas was not around during her childhood, Gem grew up resenting him throughout her life. Ann informs her that the night that Thomas' wife died, Thomas was with her, as he had stopped her from overdosing on drugs at the time, which reminded him too much of his father's suicide. Later, Ann opens a safe in Thomas' study, only to find sheets of paper containing incomprehensible writing. Ann makes Gem realize that in time Thomas grew as bitter as his own father due to their similar pasts. As a result, he pushed her away in order not to hurt her as his father did. Gem realizes that the notes are all of Thomas' memories when he found out about his dementia and that he did care for her after all. She spends the night piecing the sheets together to form a pattern on the floor. When the house experiences a power failure and Gem's cell phone dies, Ann drives Gem to the hospital.

Meanwhile, in his dream world, Thomas rediscovers his memories with Gem and is determined to hold on to them. He confronts Mr. White, who reveals himself as the manifestation of Theodore. During the ensuing roller coaster ride, Thomas relinquishes his grip on his father. In turn, he lets go of his last memories of Theodore, and holds onto those of Gem. He reaches the end of the roller coaster ride and awakens from his coma with Gem and Ann by his bedside. With his last breath, Thomas reconciles with his daughter before passing away.

Gem returns to her father's home to play the grand piano. When she notices a key not playing right, she opens the lid and discovers a brass name plate lodged between the wires, removing it and placing it on the repaired snow globe. The name plate reads "G Em", revealing Gem's name as the keys G and E minor. Thomas mentions throughout the film that the two chords are key to his memories and all he wants is to hear them one last time. He told her that when the chords are played correctly, the Arabesque in the globe will spin. After Gem realizes Thomas really loved her, she plays the chord and the Arabesque spins, symbolizing their reconciliation.

Nightwish members
    The members of the band all appear in the movies as actors; here is the personnel listing from the studio album of the same name:

Anette Olzon – lead vocals
    Tuomas Holopainen – keyboards, piano
    Emppu Vuorinen – guitars
    Marko Hietala – bass, male vocals (on track 1, 3–6, 9-12)
    Jukka Nevalainen – drums, percussion

The soundtrack is not the same as the album, so the above may not entirely accurate or complete.

Soundtrack
    The score of the film was officially released on November 9, 2012, in digital and CD format. The tracks on the score are reinterpretations by Petri Alanko of songs previously released on the band's album Imaginaerum. The songs "Slow, Love, Slow", "Scaretale" and an instrumental version of "I Want My Tears Back" from the Imaginaerum album are also featured in the film.

All tracks are written by Tuomas Holopainen, except where noted.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Find Your Story" 2:30
    2. "Orphanage Airlines" 4:34
    3. "Undertow" 5:17
    4. "Spying in the Doorway" 3:03
    5. "A Crackling Sphere" 3:59
    6. "Sundown" 5:33
    7. "Wonderfields" 5:31
    8. "Hey Buddy" 3:03
    9. "Deeper Down" Holopainen (lyrics) Marko Hietala (music) 3:28
    10. "Dare to Enter" 1:50
    11. "I Have to Let You Go" 8:16
    12. "Heart Lying Still" 4:00
    13. "From G to E Minor" 2:32

The song titles are completely different from the studio album. I don’t have the studio album, so that will save me the trouble of trying to figure out how the two are correlated. However, I do have the compilation Decades, which has two of the studio tracks; “Storytime” and “I Want My Tears Back”. I’ll be looking for those.

Version Control
    There are multiple international versions of this, including a 2015 US version with both a DVD and a bluray. However, I have the 2013 German bluray only version, which is still available new. Amazon. The soundtrack was also released on both CD and LP.

The Movie
    The video is ultra-widescreen and there are two audio options: 7.1 German and 7.1 English. But it’s not Atmos – I only get 5.1 with my 5.2.2 system.

“Find Your Story”
    Well, this is going to be a tough review. Chapter 4 starts with a bit of a different version of “Storytime”, I have to guess that the corresponding soundtrack title is “Find Your Story”. Then again, Whitman is riding the Snowman (very reminiscient of the flying dog in The Never Ending Story), so it might be “Orphanage Airlines”. On the plus side, it’s in very nice surround. But unfortunately, it only goes for about 30 seconds.

“Slow, Love, Slow”
    In chapter 6, we get over a minute of this song with just a little dialogue overlay. Also mixed in surround, Olzon, Holopainen, and Nevalainen appear as musicians. But the movies drowns out the second half of the song for a minute so before we another nice two minute surround passage with all five band members appearing.

“Scaretale”
    Chapter 9 has the band members playing. I think an instrumental passage from “I want My Tears Back” precedes “Scaretale”. It all adds up to a little over two minutes of music with only a little movie overlay between the two, and the surround is excellent. Then we get a movie passage with a musical finale. The musical highlight of the movie so far.

“Spying in the Doorway” / ”A Crackling Sphere”
    Chapter 10 has a long dream sequence that is all instrumental with no movie dialog. The movie scenes appears to correspond to the above two titles. The soundtrack versions are longer though. Surround is very good once again.

“Wonderfields”
    Chapter 11 has a long dream sequence with some passages of uninterrupted music. Nice sound effects in surround.

“Deeper Down”
    Chapter 13 has the entire song uninterrupted and in surround, and it is the second instance of Olzon vocals. It’s a modified version of "The Crow, the Owl and the Dove" on the studio album. The first track that might be worth ripping.

“I’ve Have to Let You Go”
    Chapter 14 is mostly symphonic metal soundtrack with a little dialog. Modified version of “Last Ride of the Day” found on the studio album. A nice roller coaster ride to go with it. Also possibly worth a rip.

“Heart Lying Still”
    Piano solo plays as Whitman dies.
    _______

Well, I was hoping I’d get a surround version of a Nightwish album I don’t own otherwise. It didn’t happen, but there is a surround version of two songs plus little bits of three more. The rest of it is essentially background music, but also with great surround. You probably have to be a Nightwish fan to enjoy the movie, but I liked it.

Music – 1.5
    Sound quality – 3
    Video presentation – 2
    Video quality – 3
    Surround – 3

14. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

On a different live release by Marillion ("Live in Chile") you can clearly hear bits of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" before The Invisble Man starts :)
    And at the concert I saw, "Starless" was the last track played over the PA before the band came on...
    Yeah, several stone-cold classics on there: "The Space" (which unfortunately had to be lowered a full step, and Hogarth even then can't really pull off the ending well anymore - age even gets to the best), "Easter", "Afraid of Sunlight", "Man of a Thousand Faces", "The Great Escape" and especially "Neverland" which (in my humble opinion) is one of the best songs ever written.
    Marillion - The EMI Singles Collection
    Marillion – Greatest Hits On CD&DVD (2012, CD)
    As "Punch and Judy" was included in neither DVD compilation, I doubt that's an official video...
    Don't tell that to @99thfloor :shh:
    No, Clapton also had also recorded it on Layla... but I think the rock arrangement was new?
    Also, you mis-spelled Tim Carmon's name a whopping seven times :p

Jagger69 and riskylogic like this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

You called? :)

Yeah, I did and do think that. I'd advice anyone in doubt to go straight to the intro of "Master Of Sparks" (>"Green Manalishi") or the outro of "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings" (>"Searching For Madge"), or simply note that all through the 70s ZZ shows almost always featured a lenghty cover of "Rattlensake Shake" (and I'm pretty sure their choice to cover "Dust My Broom" has as much to do with F.M. doing it as anything). Billy also covered "Oh Well" on Just Tell Me That You Want Me: A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac. He is a big Peter Green fan.

Also a quick note, regarding the original post on the Fleetwood Mac tribute, that "Sandy Mary" wasn't a single, there is actually no released studio recording, they only ever played it live, which is a shame since it's a great rocking track, maybe it was written after the recording of Then Play On so that's why they never got around to it...? Also “Station Man” isn't the only reason the concert was subtitled “and the early days of Fleetwood Mac”, since they play several of Jeremy's songs and at least one more by Danny (even if from Peter's era), which would have been weird anyway if it was just a Peter Green tribute.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Jagger69, riskylogic and JulesRules like this.
  16. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

And immediately proved why I did :agree:

I'll add the conflation of "Dust My Broom" and "The Stumble" (which were both on A Hard Road) known as "Apologies to Pearly" (from Rio Grande Mud).

17. riskylogic

Yes, I do see the similarity now. But I mostly listened to ZZ Top in the late 70's and early 80's. Didn't get around to PG Mac until the 00's. Never put the two together before the PG tribute.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that too, although in that case they would have been familiar with the classic Freddie King original of "The Stumble" (and since Frank and Dusty are supposed to have backed Freddie on occasion they probably had played it with him even). In fact Billy plays stuff from both versions, for example if you go to about 0:45-0:50 in the Bluesbreakers version there's a very distinct bit in the breaks there that Peter plays that Billy also uses, but at the same time in the original version the last time those breaks come around Freddie is playing all quarter note triplets, that isn't in the Bluesbreakers version, but Billy does it the same way his last turn through the breaks (not the same notes necessarily, but the same rhythmic concept). So a nice tribute to (or theft from) both!

Sorry for being off topic here, in fact I'm actually not sure what the topic is, I just stumled(!) into this thread... :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Jagger69 and riskylogic like this.
  19. riskylogic

It's a multi-topic thread. The only common denominator is video, which in this case is the Mick Fleetwood PG tribute that prominently features Billy Gibbons.

20. riskylogic

Waters, Roger - In the Flesh Live. I liked Us + Them enough that I figured another Waters concert was worth pursuing. Yes, The Wall concert movie has Atmos but it also has interruptions. But this one has a much better set list with heavy coverage of middle years Pink Floyd - starts off with The Wall, The Final Cut, Animals, Wish You Were Here, and lots of Dark Side of the Moon. Also four songs from Amused to Death, which is my favorite Waters solo album. But no "What God Wants unfortunately". "Each Small Candle" isn't what I'd pick for a finale either. Maybe next time I'll stop watching after "Comfortably Numb" which is what I thought Pink Floyd concerts are supposed to end with.

I also got it for only $10, but it is just a DVD. Can't complain about the video; it is very decent DVD quality. But the audio is either LPCM stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1. It's a tough choice. The surround is good enough for a point a nice ambient mix plus some sound effects in the year. But on the whole, I think the stereo track is the better choice.

The stage show isn't up there with Us + Them of course, but then nothing is. But I still have to give full marks for a concert that has a card game in the middle of "Dogs" while Jon Carin does most of the work.

Music – 3
    Sound quality – 3 (stereo) or 2 (5.1)
    Video presentation – 3
    Video quality – 2
    Surround – 1 (stereo) or 2 (5.1)

I didn't expect the Doyle Bramhall II overlap from last week.

21. mark winstanley

Kissology Volume One: 1974–1977

[​IMG]
    Video by
    Kiss
    Released
    October 31, 2006
    Recorded 1974-1977
    Genre Hard rock
    Length 203 min. (disc 1)
    176 min. (disc 2)
    Label VH1 Classic Records
    Producer Alex Coletti
    Roger Coletti

[​IMG]

DVD 1:
    Long Beach Auditorium Long Beach, CA 2/17/74

DVD1-1 Acrobat
    ABC's In Concert 3/29/74
    DVD1-2 Nothin' To Lose
    DVD1-3 Firehouse
    DVD1-4 Black Diamond
    The Mike Douglas Show 4/29/74
    DVD1-5 Gene Simmons Interview
    DVD1-6 Firehouse
    Winterland San Francisco, CA 1/31/75
    DVD1-7 Deuce
    DVD1-8 Strutter
    DVD1-9 Got To Choose
    DVD1-10 Hotter Than Hell
    DVD1-12 Firehouse
    DVD1-13 Watchin' You
    DVD1-14 Nothin' To Lose
    DVD1-15 Parasite
    DVD1-16 100,000 Years
    DVD1-17 Black Diamond
    DVD1-18 Cold Gin
    DVD1-19 Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
    The Midnight Special 4/1/75
    DVD1-20 She
    DVD1-21 Black Diamond
    Kiss Alive Promo Clips
    DVD1-22 C'mon And Love Me
    DVD1-23 Rock And Roll All Nite
    Cadillac, Michigan October 9 & 10, 1975
    DVD1-24 Documentary
    Cobo Hall Detroit , MI 1/26/76
    DVD1-25 Deuce
    DVD1-26 Strutter
    DVD1-27 C'mon And Love Me
    DVD1-28 Hotter Than Hell
    DVD1-29 Firehouse
    DVD1-30 She
    DVD1-31 Parasite
    DVD1-32 Nothin' To Lose
    DVD1-33 100,000 Years
    DVD1-34 Black Diamond
    DVD1-35 Cold Gin
    DVD1-36 Rock And Roll All Nite
    DVD1-37 Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
    Easter Egg (Live At Coventry 1973)
    DVD1-38 Deuce
    DVD 2 :
    So It Goes 8/21/76

DVD2-1 Interview
    DVD2-2 Black Diamond
    The Paul Lynde Halloween Special 10/29/76
    DVD2-3 Interview
    DVD2-4 King Of The Night Time World
    Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan (4.2.1977)
    DVD2-5 Detroit Rock City
    DVD2-6 Take Me
    DVD2-7 Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
    DVD2-8 Ladies Room
    DVD2-9 Firehouse
    DVD2-10 Makin' Love
    DVD2-11 I Want You
    DVD2-12 Cold Gin
    DVD2-13 Do You Love Me?
    DVD2-14 Nothin' To Lose
    DVD2-15 God Of Thunder
    DVD2-16 Rock & Roll All Nite
    DVD2-17 Shout It Out Loud
    DVD2-18 Beth
    DVD2-19 Black Diamond
    Don Kirschner's Rock Concert 5/28/77
    DVD2-20 Hard Luck Woman
    DVD2-21 Love 'Em And Leave 'Em
    DVD2-22 I Want You
    The Summit Houston, TX 9/2/77
    DVD2-23 I Stole Your Love
    DVD2-24 Take Me
    DVD2-25 Ladies Room
    DVD2-26 Firehouse
    DVD2-27 Love Gun
    DVD2-28 Hooligan
    DVD2-29 Makin' Love
    DVD2-30 Christine Sixteen
    DVD2-31 Shock Me
    DVD2-32 I Want You
    DVD2-33 Calling Dr. Love
    DVD2-34 Shout It Out Loud
    DVD2-35 God Of Thunder
    DVD2-36 Rock And Roll All Nite
    DVD2-37 Detroit Rock City
    DVD2-38 Beth
    DVD2-39 Black Diamond
    Easter Egg
    DVD2-40 Ace Frehley Wedding Performance (1976)
    DVD 3 :
    Bonus Disc - Madison Square Garden New York, NY 18/2/77

DVD3-1 Detroit Rock City
    DVD3-2 Take Me
    DVD3-3 Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
    DVD3-4 Firehouse
    DVD3-5 Nothin' To Lose
    DVD3-6 Shout It Out Loud
    DVD3-7 Black Diamond

I know Kiss are not everyone's cup of tea, but these sets, of which there were three, were a huge bonus for Kiss fans.
    These are probably one of the most comprehensive video collections made readily available to the public in a physical form.

Obviously all the different videos are of different quality, but for the Kiss fan, or the interested onlooker they cover all the bases one would want covered. There are some edits of concerts, but we get pretty comprehensive footage from plenty of concerts over the years.

My first record, and my first concert were Kiss, and I still love the band's music, in spite of tons of mockery, and the constant belittling of the band and its fans .... Why do I care, it is good time party music, and rarely pretends to be anything more. I have plenty of serious music, and plenty of deep thoughtful music, and plenty of musicians music, and frankly when I'm in the mood for it there is also Kiss (and plenty of bands that can fit into the same kind of category.

My first Kiss concert was in 1980, when I was 11 or 12, and it set me on a path to love concerts and concert movies, and all that kind of stuff.
    The last time I saw Kiss was on that last tour before the "pandemic" ... I actually only went because my wife who has never had a Kiss album, or shown any interest in them said she would like to see them ....
    We saw them in Memphis, and when a show was added to Little Rock, she wanted to go again lol .... She thought it was spectacular and thought that it the whole show was awesome.... and at the end of the day a concert is about being entertained.... so although I expected to not see Kiss on their farewell fling, I ended up seeing them twice :)

Now although this sats that disc three is a bonus disc, I have never seen this set without all the shows. When I had it in Australia, it was just the whole set.... it seems in the USA it was always marketed as a bonus disc. I reckon it's worth having all of the discs, but each to their own.

These are in 5.1, but we aren't talking about modern studio quality surround mixes here, but I will pay attention while listening.

This is a link to the main list on discogs, and the sets are available from as little as about $12, but I am unsure if there are any major differences Kiss - Kissology: The Ultimate Kiss Collection Vol. 1 1974-1977

Anyway, what have we got on the discs here .....

So we go to Cobo Hall Michigan 1976.
    The Alive tour

We have 4:3 ratio. It is in colour. There are three audio tracks. DD5.1, and two DD2.0 .... I think one may have occasional commentary, but I'm not altogether sure.

For all the glitz and glam, the costumes, the make up and such.... what these shows prove beyond any reasonable doubt, is that Kiss were a kick ass rock band.
    As I thought, the 5.1 audio is negligible, that isn't essentially what you're buying this for.
    This is straight live, there are quite obviously no overdubs or fixing, and yes there are occasional imperfections, but nothing I haven't seen from other seventies live acts.

Deuce, Strutter, C'mon and Love Me, Hotter Than Hell and Firehouse all punch through with a suitable amount of energy, enthusiasm and power.
    At the end of Firehouse, Gene Simmons does his fire breathing stunt, and if you pay attention, you see he goes for the second push, and sets his hair on fire.... like a true professional he just rubs it out and you see the smoke rise up from it as the lights fade for the end of the song.

The video quality is very acceptable, some camera shots better than others. This isn't hi-def bluray though. I'd say good, but not excellent dvd quality.... for the archival nature of the footage, it is excellent

She (the song) bumps and grinds it's way through it's dirty rock groove, and we get Ace Frehley's guitar solo. Ace was always excellent.

So how about a bit of Winterland 1975.
    The Hotter Than Hell tour.

4:3 ratio, black and white.
    Again very acceptable quality, somewhat similar to Cobo, but in black and white.
    A couple a minor audio inconsistencies, but nothing too major.
    It's interesting seeing the seven candle menorah .... and with Paul and Gene's heritage it is pretty cool.

Obviously these shows aren't as decked out as later shows would be, but I think that highlights the fact that these guys were a good live rock band.

Got To Choose is a Corker, I always liked Ace's lead with it's fake key modulation over the consistent rhythm guitar backing.

100,000 years has Gene doing his bass thing and spitting blood leading into the song.
    Certainly not the most lyrically ambitious track, but a great rocker nonetheless, with some nice rhythmic and melodic change ups.
    We also get Peter Criss's drum solo here. Which actually stays on the beat of the song, and works more like an accented groove demo than a drum clinic flash-fest.
    Stanley comes out during it, and has his audience rev up chat.
    For all the flak Stanley cops, he was great at getting one on one with the crowd, and bringing them into the show.

Black Diamond is a traditional main set closer. Stanley brings us in with the melancholy minor ballad styling, and then we kick onto a great series of riffs and harmonised leads, and Peter Criss screaming out the lead vocal.
    Some nice harmonised vocal sections.
    We come to the crescendo with some flash pots, and the drum riser...
    The drum riser must have scared the crap out of Criss every night.... it shakes about like an unstable ladder.

Lets have a look at the Budokan Hall Japan 77 on disc two.
    The Rock and Roll Over tour

4:3 ratio. Colour. Probably the best quality so far.

The traditional Detroit Rock City opening.

The first thing we notice is the substantial increase in the stage dimensions., and visual impact.
    What hasn't changed is the band giving it their all in entertaining the crowd.

We belt through the set and come to I Want You.
    Opening with that reflective arpeggio ballad style and pounding into the rock.
    Stanley takes the first lead and Ace brings it home.
    We get the balladesque reprise, and power on again.
    Then we get Stanley doing his solo vocal, in a completely different style, but to the same ends as what Freddie Mercury used to do. The crowd is there all the way.

We launch into the Ace Frehley classic Cold Gin.
    Gene gives an excellent vocal as the drinker, ironically being a teetotaler (I believe).
    This leads to the classic era Ace guitar solo.... but we do notice that Ace is now less showing his guitar chops, and more playing to the effects, with the pick up burning out, and smoking. The guitar is left to moan on the side of the stage and burst into flame. Ace gets another guitar and rips out some good stuff.

For all the criticism, the crowds are obviously having a great time, and the band really gives them a show and a good time.
    Rock and Roll All Night gives us the exploding confetti thing, which is a blast in real life.
    The guitar gets smashed, and the pieces thrown into the crowd.

Shout It Out Loud punches through for another goodnight....

Then we get the tape for Beth playing and Peter Criss delivers the vocal from a stool.
    He stands up, throws some roses into the crowd.

The band come back out again and each throw a big balloon into the crowd.
    Stanley throws his scarf into the crowd....
    They come back out again and we get the standard big finisher with Black Diamond.
    This drum riser goes a lot higher, and looks like it is professionally built, holding the drums solid.

The Houston Summit sept 77
    Love Gun Tour

I Stole Your Love opens with the band in the air on platforms and lowering to the stage.
    Similar stage set to the Budokan.

Take Me punches in.
    It's a blistering rock show.

The video quality is probably slightly better again.

These are just solid, semi-complete concerts in good quality.

We get Hooligan with a Criss vocal. Stanley has the twin neck out, playing the 12 string. The chorus has a harmonised guitar riff for a backing, and its effective.

Capitol Centre Largo Maryland
    Love Gun tour

4:3 ratio, colour, very good video quality.

Similar set of songs

So God of thunder has the Gene Bass thing .... little longer a little more dramatic, much better lighting. Some more creepy effects....va ring modulator on the bass?
    Gene rises on the platform to this cacophony, and then we roll into the faster live version.
    Peter has been smiling and pulling faces at the camera all night, this his drum solo.
    It's less focused and more loose, compared to the earlier one, but it is also more like typical drum solos with the little variation pieces that seemed to become more popular.
    The drum kit slides forward and sprays big threads of sparklers out.
    We ho back to the song, and Gene's voice has an effect on it.
    We get monster flames either side for the finish.

Apparently it's Peter's birthday.

Rock and Roll all Night punches in after the crowd yell Happy Birthday.
    We try the big confetti thing.
    The guys seem to be having heaps of fun, and Peter keeps saying unusual stuff during the chorus... another guitar sacrificed and given to the crown.
    The big group now up front.

Black diamond the big closer again.
    Peter nails his vocal, and seems right on it.... I wondered if he was drunk or high to be honest.
    Drums rise solid, twenty plus feet in the air the guys on raised platforms, spinning firework pinwheels.
    Solid stuff.

This, as I say, isn't his def. It doesn't appear doctored in anyway, it is just high energy, raw, good time rock and roll/hard rock.
    I reckon essential for the fan, and likely entertaining for someone vaguely interested.
    The video quality obviously varies over so many shows and years, but none of it is unwatchable at all. there are a couple of little video glitches that you get with old footage, but nothing particularly distracting.
    The audio is raw live audio. It isn't particularly surround sound. It isn't particularly polished, and again, over so many shows over so many years there are variances, but it is all solid listenable rock concert music.
    I'm glad I replaced the copies I got rid of in Aus, when I moved over here.

22. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Great review of Kissology Mark!
    For awareness at least in the US, the last disc is marketed as a Bonus Disc because there were actually three different Bonus Discs! Like you I own the Madison Square Garden Bonus Disc from the Rock n Roll Over tour. and this version was sold at most retailers as well as Amazon. However Best Buy had an exclusive bonus disc featuring Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI (January 25, 1976 – Alive! Tour) and Walmart had an exclusive Bonus Disc featuring Capitol Centre, Largo, MD (December 20, 1977 – Alive II Tour).

Kissology Vol 2 and Kissology Vol 3 also followed in similar fashion with multiple different Bonus Discs (Vol 2 had 3 and Vol 3 had 4) (See the linked Wikipedia articles for details on the various discs).

A super duper expensive limited edition Box Set was released in Japan that had Vol1, 2, and 3 with all the different bonus discs included

riskylogic and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Kiss Symphony: The DVD

[​IMG]
    Video by
    Kiss
    Released
    September 10, 2003
    Recorded Melbourne, Australia, February 28, 2003
    Genre Hard rock, heavy metal
    Label Sanctuary

All tracks recorded at Etihad Stadium (formerly known as Telstra Dome) in Melbourne, Australia, on February 28, 2003.

2-Disc Edition
    Disc 1
    The Kiss Symphony Story
    1. Overture
    2. The calm before the storm
    3. Kiss lands in Melbourne
    4. Rehearsals I - Kiss meets the MSO
    5. Australia's largest stadium set-up
    6. Rehearsals II - Getting in the groove
    7. National TV Interview
    8. Kiss fans get ready
    9. Production rehearsal
    10. The MSO gets into makeup
    Act Three: Kiss with The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
    1. "Detroit Rock City" (Stanley, Ezrin)
    2. "King of the Night Time World" (Stanley, Ezrin, Kim Fowley, Mark Anthony)
    3. "Do You Love Me" (Stanley, Ezrin, Fowley)
    4. "Shout It Out Loud" (Stanley, Simmons, Ezrin)
    5. "God of Thunder" (Stanley)
    6. "Love Gun" (Stanley)
    7. "Black Diamond" (Stanley)
    8. "Great Expectations" (Simmons, Ezrin)
    9. "I Was Made for Lovin' You" (Stanley, Desmond Child, Poncia)
    10. "Rock and Roll All Nite" (Stanley, Simmons)
    Disc 2
    Act One: Kiss
    1. "Deuce" (Gene Simmons)
    2. "Strutter" (Paul Stanley, Simmons)
    3. "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll" (Stanley, Simmons)
    4. "Lick It Up" (Vinnie Vincent, Stanley)
    5. "Calling Dr. Love" (Simmons)
    6. "Psycho Circus" (Stanley, Simmons)
    Act Two: Kiss with The Melbourne Symphony Ensemble
    1. "Beth" (Peter Criss, Stan Penridge, Bob Ezrin)
    2. "Forever" (Stanley, Michael Bolton)
    3. "Goin' Blind" (Simmons, Stephen Coronel)
    4. "Sure Know Something" (Stanley, Vini Poncia)
    5. "Shandi" (Stanley, Poncia)
    Act Three: Kiss with The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
    1. "Detroit Rock City" (Stanley, Ezrin)
    2. "King of the Night Time World" (Stanley, Ezrin, Kim Fowley, Mark Anthony)
    3. "Do You Love Me" (Stanley, Ezrin, Fowley)
    4. "Shout It Out Loud" (Stanley, Simmons, Ezrin)
    5. "God of Thunder" (Stanley)
    6. "Love Gun" (Stanley)
    7. "Black Diamond" (Stanley)
    8. "Great Expectations" (Simmons, Ezrin)
    9. "I Was Made for Lovin' You" (Stanley, Desmond Child, Poncia)
    10. "Rock and Roll All Nite" (Stanley, Simmons)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this years ago when it came out ... it was too tempting for an old Kiss fan to get a higher quality concert recording with DTS 5.1 ...

I had reservations about it, for many reasons, but when I watched it, it was just good fun time rock and roll ... and the icing on the cake was that the Symphony members were obviously having so much fun.

Anyway... I again re-bought it when I got to the US ... shipping thousands of cd's and dvd's is really expensive.

Discogs has one for $2 lol, but it does say light marks, which probably means pizza tray .... there's another for $12 Kiss - Kiss Symphony: The DVD (DVD, US, 2003) For Sale | Discogs
    Here's the main list, just be aware many of these are PAL. Kiss - Kiss Symphony: The DVD
    About $10 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Symphony-DVD-KISS/dp/B0000ARSSI
    Tons of them on Ebay from low prices kiss symphony dvd | eBay

Act One.

So we have widescreen and excellent video clarity. Some of the shot cuts are a little too rapid fire.
    We have Simmons and Stanley.... Peter Criss managed to hold on long enough to be on here.
    Tommy Thayer is on the lead guitar.

Act one is just the four of them rocking out, and it is solid.
    I think the bottom end is lacking to be honest. It could just be the in your face guitar mix, but I reckon a bit of sub, or a warmer mix would have been better.

We open with pounding and slashing versions of Deuce, Strutter and Let Me Go Rock and Roll.

Kiss did have a pretty good relationship with Australian audiences. When the US turned their back somewhat on Dynasty and Unmasked they came to Australia and Australia gave them the reception of a lifetime.
    It would have been cheaper to record this in Australia though, but there is truth to the relationship between Kiss and Aus.... we love a good hard rock party band.

Lick It Up gets a run, and is the only post make up track, but we do get Psycho Circus the song on here.
    We have guitars getting some crunch in the rears, and thirty foot flames on the stage.... yea, its Barnham and Bailey with guitars, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be wrong with that.

The mix sounds pretty immersive to me.
    It is bright sounding, and it's probably compressed, but although I would prefer it to be warmer, it doesn't effect me.... work makes me tired, music doesn't:)

We get Calling Dr Love, and Psycho Circus.
    Dr Love is obviously a classic, but Psycho Circus is actually a pretty good song.

It's a solid opening set. Thayer fills Ace's boots well. The band is tight.

Interesting, rolling through the audio options. DD doesn't sound much different to the dts, but the bottom end is in the two channel mix.....

The set closes with the punch of guitars and huge explosions everywhere across the stage.

Act 2.

Here we have a string section and a digital piano, with a full sound..... and Beth gets possibly its first proper live treatment.
    It's spread pretty well around us, and had good midrange and lows, it sounds pretty good, as does Peter's vocal.

The members of the ensemble are all in Kiss makeup, and playing seriously, but obviously having fun.

I lied, Forever comes into play, and obviously a later song.
    Essentially this is the band unplugged with the string ensemble.
    David Campbell is the conductor.

Goin' Blind comes along. Not a favourite, but Gene puts across a straight vocal here, and it is actually really very good.
    The music is excellent, I just never cared for the lyrics much.

Sure Know Something gets a really nice treatment here. Seeing the Cellist mouth the lyrics gives me a smile.

Shandi even gets some french horn.
    Again nice arrangement and mix.

Act 3.

Detroit Rock City opens the full orchestral section.
    I think the orchestral arrangements is very good, suitable and appropriate, and the mix is very good.
    We crack some fireworks and feedback into

King Of The Nighttime World
    Just great kick ass rock and roll with an orchestra bashing away and having a blast.

Do You Love me
    By this stage the audience is ecstatic.
    The audio is still a little on the treble side, but the orchestra has tempered that somewhat.

Shout It Out Loud
    The orchestral part of the intro here is excellent. At times the orchestra almost adds a big band type feel, and it works well.

Gene in green doing his blood thing for God Of Thunder.
    This has the flying thing and again the orchestral backing works well. It gives this almost a Bond movie villain feel.

Love Gun
    Paul hooks into his little flying fox thing and shoots across the crowd to a platform way back.
    Look it's a show, but it's very effective, and it gets the crowd even more involved.
    Song kicks ass and Paul flies back to the stage.
    Everyone is having a blast.

Black Diamond comes in.
    Again it works really well.
    The dlow lead break section kicks in the drums rise a ridiculous amount in the air and huge Catherine wheel go off.
    The drum riser makes it look like the riser is actually lifted by jets.
    Big bands etc etc
    Orchestra holds a note to a big bang finish.

The band make sure David Campbell and the orchestra get some huge applause.
    The Australian Childrens choir come out, and we get the never before played live ( I don't believe)
    Great Expectations.
    The kids are obviously really excited, and it essentially comes over perfectly. All the orchestral flourishes from the album get in there too.
    Excellent stuff.

I Was Made For Loving You
    Again works like a charm. Fireworks crack at the appropriate time during the outro....

Rock And Roll All Night.
    Stanley revs the crowd up, the atmosphere is electric, orchestra members waving their fists, it's a real trip.
    Paper and confetti bombs.
    The orchestra uo on their feet clapping their hands and joining in with the crowd replying to Stanley's leads.... it is a party, and a good one.
    Stage risers, guitar smash fireworks, explosions, huge smiles in the orchestra, one violinist does the Gene tongue thing.
    Party central folks.

We get a curtain call, Kiss, the conductor and the while orchestra come down front and take a well deserved bow.

We get the walk off comments backstage...
    Gene gets carried away, but his adrenaline must have been high.
    During the credits we see the orchestra grabbing guitar picks, throwing some, keeping some, having a blast.
    Then we get orchestra members saying how much they loved it.

There are a couple of little issues with this. The 5.1 is a bit bright, but it seemed like the stereo was nicely rounded in the bottom end. There is a little of that ADD video editing, but I am not really too concerned about that..
    Essentially though, this is just a heap of fun.
    There is a doco about the orchestra side of things on the first disc, that goes straight into the final set, and for many that will be enough, but I think this is really very worth checking out, if those issues up the top aren't a deal breaker for you, and if you don't just hate the existence of this band.
    This is one of the most entertaining and fun concerts going.....

This is Rock and Roll All Night.... this video quality is awful. It has been slimmed up to 4:3, and it is nothing like the clarity of the dvd ... but it gives you the idea

weekendtoy and riskylogic like this.
  24. riskylogic

Ranges indicate either that the rating is version dependent, or that the content varies. The reviews are mine unless other attribution is given. The highlighted link for the reviews and ratings are different if the initial review is from Mark or someone else, or if I have changed the ratings for some reason.

Rating System Explained Here

AC/DC – Let There Be Rock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Anathema – A Moment in Time / Live Performance / Rating: 13 &
    Anathema – Universal / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Anathema – A Sort of Homecoming / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Arcade Fire – Live At Earls Court / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Ayreon Electric Castle Live and Other Tales / Live Performance / Rating: 14 &
    Ayreon – Ayreon Universe / Live Performance / Rating: 16

Band, The – The Last Waltz / Live Performance and Concert Documentary / Rating: 15-17
    Barclay James Harvest ‎– Berlin (A Concert For The People) / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Beatles, The – A Hard Day’s Night / Movie / Rating: 11-13
    Beatles, The – Help! / Movie / Rating: 11-14
    Beatles, The – Magical Mystery Tour/ Movie / Rating: 10-12
    Beatles, The – Yellow Submarine / Movie / Rating: 17 &
    Beatles, The – 1+ / Video Collection / Rating: 12-18
    Beck, Jeff – Rock 'n' Roll Party (Honoring Les Paul) / Live Performance / Rating: 14-15
    Beck, Jeff – Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Big Big Train – Reflectors of Light / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Big Big Train – Empire / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Birtles Shorrock Goble ‎– Full Circle / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blackfield – NYC: Live in New York City / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Blackmore, Richie – Blackmore's Night ‎– A Knight In York / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blackmore, Richie – Memories In Rock - Live In Germany / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Blue Öyster Cult – Live 1976 / Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Blue Öyster Cult – 40th Anniversary - Agents Of Fortune - Live 2016 / Studio Performance / Rating: 14 &
    Blue Öyster Cult – 45th Anniversary - Live in London / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Bruce, Jack and Trower, Robin – Seven Moons Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Bruford – Rock Goes to College / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Byrne, David – American Utopia / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Camel – Moondances / Live Performance / Rating: 11-12
    Camel – In From the Cold / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Camel – Live At The Royal Albert Hall Clapton, Eric –
    Cave, Nick – Once More With Feeling / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Church, The – Future Past Perfect / Live Performance / Rating: 13&
    Cheap Trick – Silver / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Cheap Trick ‎– Budokan! / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Clapton, Eric – The Cream of Eric Clapton / Video Collection / Rating: 12*&
    Clapton, Eric and Winwood, Steve – Live From Madison Square Garden / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) /Rating:16
    Clapton, Eric – Live in San Diego / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Clapton, Eric – Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 16 &
    Cliff, Jimmy – The Harder They Come / Movie / Rating: 15
    Cocker, Joe Fire It Up Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Cold Chisel – The Last Stand / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Cure, The – Trilogy / Live Performance / Rating: 13-15
    Cure, The – Curætion-25 / Live Performance / Rating: 16

Dead Can Dance – Yulunga and Other Stories / Video Collection / Rating: 12-15
    Dead Can Dance – Toward the Within / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Depeche Mode – Live in Berlin / Live Performance / Rating: 12&
    Devo – Hardcore Devo Live! / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Dido Live at Brixton Academy / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Djabe (and Steve Hackett) – Summer Storms and Rocking Rivers / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Djabe – The Magic Stag / Video Collection /Rating: 11
    Dire Straits – Alchemy / Live Performance / Rating: 16*
    Doobie Brothers, The ‎– Live From The Beacon Theatre / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Doors, The ‎– Live At The Bowl '68 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Dream Theater – Score / Live Performance /Rating: 13
    Dream Theater – Distance Over Time / Video Collection /Rating: 13
    *&
    Dream Theater – Distant Memories - Live In London / Live Performance /Rating: 15
    Dylan, Bob – No Direction Home / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)

Eagles – Hell Freezes Over / Live Performance /Rating: 16 (@Yankeefan01)
    Eagles – Live from the Forum MMXVIII / Live Performance /Rating: 14
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer – 40th Anniversary Reunion Concert / Live Performance / Rating: 14&
    Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams - The Video Album / Video Collection / Rating: 9

Ferry, Bryan – Live in Lyon / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Fleetwood Mac – The Dance / Studio Performance / Rating: 14
    Fleetwood, Mick & Friends – Celebrate The Music Of Peter Green / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Flying Colors – Second Flight: Live At The Z7 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

Gabriel, Peter – Live in Athens 1987 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gabriel, Peter – Secret World Live / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Gabriel, Peter – Play / Video Collection / Rating: 12-15 *&
    Gabriel, Peter – Growing Up / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Gabriel, Peter – Still Growing Up: Live / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gabriel, Peter – New Blood - Live In London / Live Performance / Rating: 14 &
    (The J.) Geils Band ‎– House Party Live In Germany / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Genesis – Pop Shop Live TV 1972 / Studio Performance / Rating: 11 *
    Gentle Giant – GG at the GG / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Gentle Giant – The Power and the Suite / Video Collection / Rating: 16
    Gilmour, David – Remember That Night / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Gilmour, David – Live in Gdańsk / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Gilmour, David – Live at Pompeii / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Glass, Philip – Koyaanisqatsi / Movie / Rating: 15 &
    Glass, Philip – Powaqqatsi / Movie / Rating: 13
    Glass, Philip – Naqoyqatsi / Movie / Rating: 17
    Grateful Dead – The Grateful Dead Movie / Concert Documentary / Rating: 13-14
    Grateful Dead – The Closing of Winterland / Concert Performance / Rating: 13
    Grateful Dead – Rocking The Cradle ~ Egypt 1978 / Concert Performance (@~dave~~wave~)
    Green Day – Bullet in a Bible / Live Performance / Rating: 11 &

Hackett, Steve – The Tokyo Tapes / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Hackett, Steve – Somewhere in South America / Live Performance / Rating: 10
    Hackett, Steve – Wuthering Nights: Live In Birmingham / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Hackett, Steve – Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Hall, Daryl & Oates, John ‎– Live In Dublin / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Hendrix, Jimi – Jimi Plays Monterey / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Hendrix, Jimi – Live at Woodstock / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Hendrix, Jimi – Band of Gypsys: Live at The Fillmore East / Concert Documentary / Rating: 10 *&
    Holdsworth, Allan – I.O.U. ‎- Live in Japan 1984 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Hiromi – Move: Live In Tokyo / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

INXS - Live Baby Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 13
    Iron Maiden – Flight 666 / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)
    Iron Maiden – The History of Iron Maiden – Part 1: The Early Days / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley)

Jarre, Jean Michel – Oxygene: Live In Your Living Room / Studio Performance/ Rating: 14
    Jethro Tull – Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die (The TV Special Edition) / Studio Performance / Rating: 11
    Jethro Tull – Slipstream / Live Performance and Videos / Rating: 15-16

Kansas – There's Know Place Like Home / Live Performance / Rating: 15-16
    Katatonia – Last Fair Day Gone Night / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Killing Joke – XXV Gathering! / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    King Crimson – Déjà Vrooom / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    King Crimson – Eyes Wide Open, Part 1 / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    King Crimson – Eyes Wide Open, Part 2 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    King Crimson – Meltdown: Live in Mexico City / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    King Crimson – Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Kinks, The ‎– One For The Road / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Kiss Kissology Volume One: 1974–1977 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Kiss – Symphony: The DVD / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Knopfler, Mark – A Night in London / Studio Performance / Rating: 9 &
    Kraftwerk – 3D 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / Video Collection / Rating: 15
    Kraftwerk – Computer World 3D (The Catalogue) / Video Collection / Rating: 16
    Krauss, Allison & Union Station – Live! / Live Performance / Rating: 13

Led Zeppelin – The Song Remains the Same / Live Performance and Movie / Rating: 14
    Led Zeppelin – DVD, Part 1: Live at The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Led Zeppelin – DVD, Part 2: 1972-1979 / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Lee, Albert Tearing it Up / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)

Magma – Theusz Hamtaahk: Trilogie au Trianon / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok 1 / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok 2 / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok III / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok IV / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma Mythes et Legendes Epok V / Live Performance (@Sordel)
    Magma – Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Trilogie / Live Performance (@Sordel) / Rating: 12
    Mannheim Steamroller – Fresh Aire 8 / Video Collection / Rating: 11*
    Marillion – Fish Tales / Video Collection / Rating: 12-13*
    Marillion – Recital of the Script / Live Performance / Rating: 13*&
    Marillion – Somewhere in London / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Marillion – All One Tonight - Live At The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Marley, Bob & The Wailers – Live! at the Rainbow / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Mason, Nick Live – At the Roundhouse / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    McCartney, Paul – The McCartney Years, Part 1 / Video Collection ( @mark winstanley) / Rating: 13-14
    McCartney, Paul – The McCartney Years, Vol 3 / Concert Performances / Rating: 12-16
    (Pat) Metheny Group – The Way Up - Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Midnight Oil – Best of Both Worlds / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Midnight Oil – Armistice Day / Live Performance / Rating: 16&
    Moody Blues – Lovely to See You: Live / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Motörhead ‎– Stage Fright / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Mozart, Wolfgang – Amadeus / Movie / Rating: 15

New Order - Education Entertainment Recreation / Live Performance / Rating: 16Nightwish – Imaginaerum/ Movie / Rating: 14
    Nightwish – Vehicle of Spirit / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    No-Man – Mixtaped / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Opeth – The Roundhouse Tapes / Live Performance / Rating: 12

(The Alan) Parsons Symphonic Project – Live in Colombia / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Pet Shop Boys – Cubism / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Pineapple Thief, The – Where We Stood / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Pink Floyd – 1970 Devi/ation / Video Collection / Rating: 5
    Pink Floyd – 1971 Reverber/ation / Video Collection / Rating: 9&
    Pink Floyd – Live at Pompeii / Live Performance / Rating: 13-15&
    Pink Floyd – The Wall / Movie / Rating: 12
    Pink Floyd – Delicate Sound of Thunder / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Pink Floyd – The Endless River / Video Collection / Rating: 9
    Police, The Every Breath You Take / Video Collection ( @mark winstanley)
    Police, The Certifiable: Live in Buenos Aires / Live Performance / Rating: 17
    Porcupine Tree – Arriving Somewhere... / Live Performance / Rating: 16 - 17
    Porcupine Tree – Anesthetize / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Presley, Elvis – That's The Way It Is / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Presley, Elvis – '68 Comeback Special / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Pretenders, The – Loose in L.A. / Live Performance / Rating: 14
    Prince – Live At Paisley Park / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Prince – Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Public Image Limited - Live at Rockpalast / Live Performance (@Tim Bucknall)
    Queen – A Night at the Odeon / Live Performance / Rating: 12

Rainbow ‎– Live Between The Eyes / The Final Cut / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    R.E.M – Road Movie / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Rolling Stones & Various Artists – Rock and Roll Circus / Studio Performance / Rating: 14
    Rolling Stones – Steel Wheels Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Rolling Stones – Some Girls: Live in Texas '78 / Concert Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Roxy Music – The High Road / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Roxy Music – Live at the Apollo / Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Rush – Exit ..... Stage Left / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating:14
    Rush – Grace Under Pressure Tour / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Rush – A Show of Hands / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Rush – R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 17
    Rush – Rush in Rio / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Rush – Snakes & Arrows Live / Live Performance / Rating: 16
    Rush – Clockwork Angels Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16
    Rush – R40 Live / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Santana – Santana IV Live At The House Of Blues Las Vegas / Live Performance / Rating: 15&
    Scaggs, Boz – Greatest Hits Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating:16
    Schenker, Michael – On A Mission - Live In Madrid / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Schenker, Michael – Immortal / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Setzer, Brian – Rockabilly Riot! Osaka Rocka! / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Simple Minds – Acoustic In Concert / Live Performance / Rating: 12-13
    Soundgarden ‎– Live From The Artists Den / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Springsteen, Bruce The River Tour / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Steely Dan – Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party / Studio Performance / Rating: 16
    Sting – Live in Berlin / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Super Furry Animals Rings Around The World / Video Collection (@mark winstanley)
    Supertramp – Live In Paris '79 / Live Performance / Rating: 15

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense / Live Performance / Rating: 14-16
    Talking Heads – True Stories / Movie / Rating: 12-14
    Tangerine Dream – Live at Coventry Cathedral 1975 / Music Video / Rating: 10
    Tangerine Dream – The Video Dream Mixes / Video Collection: Rating: 8
    Tool – Vicarious / Video / Rating: 12 &
    Townsend, Devin – Ocean Machine – Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 12-14
    Townsend, Devin – Acoustically Inclined in Leeds / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 11
    Townsend, Devin – Live At The Royal Albert Hall / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Townsend, Devin – Order of Magnitude - Empath Live Volume 1 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Transatlantic – Whirld Tour 2010 / Live Performance / Rating: 12
    Transatlantic – The Absolute Universe / Video Collection / Rating: 16

U2 – Under a Blood Red Sky / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 15
    U2 – Rattle and Hum / Studio and Live Performance / Rating: 14-15
    U2 – 360° at the Rose Bowl / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    U2 – Live in Paris / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Ultravox – Rage in Eden / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 16

Vai, Steve ‎– Visual Sound Theories (Live With Holland Metropole Orkest) / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Various Artists – The Monterey Pop Festival / Live Performance / Rating: 13 &
    Various Artists – Woodstock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary / Rating: 15 * (2-disc 2009 version)
    Various Artists – Woodstock / Live Performance and Concert Documentary /(@~dave~~wave~) (3-disc 2014 version)
    Various Artists – Baraka / Movie / Rating: 14
    Various Artists – Samsara / Movie / Rating: 13

Waters, Roger – In the Flesh - Live / Live Performance (@mark winstanley) / Rating: 15
    Waters, Roger – Us + Them / Live Performance/ Rating: 17
    Who, The Tommy / Movie / Rating: 14
    Who, The The Kids Are Alright / Concert Documentary (@mark winstanley ) / Rating: 11-15
    Who, The – Live At Shea Stadium 1982 / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Who, The - Live in Boston / Concert Performance (@mark winstanley )
    Wilson, Steven –Get All You Deserve/ Live Performance / Rating: 15
    Wilson, Steven – Home Invasion / Live Performance / Rating: 18
    Winter, Edgar – Reach For It / Live Performance / Rating: 11
    Wishbone Ash – Live Dates 3 / Live Performance / Rating: 15 &
    Wishbone Ash – Live in Hamburg / Live Performance / Rating: 13

YACHT - Chain Tripping / Video Collection / 13
    Yello – Live in Berlin / Live Performance (@jamesc) / Rating: 16
    Yes – Yessongs / Live Performance / Rating: 9 *
    Yes – Keys To Ascension / Live Performance / Rating: 13
    Yes – Symphonic Live / Live Performance / Rating: 17

Zappa, Frank – Baby Snakes / Movie and Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Zappa, Frank – The Torture Never Stops / Live Performance / Rating: 9
    Zappa, Frank – The Roxy Movie / Live Performance (@mark winstanley)
    Zimmer, Hans – Live in Prague / Live Performance (@thetman) / Rating: 17&

* One point deducted from original rating as a result of video rating scale adjustment.
    & Half point deducted from music score before doubling

Comments on any of the above are always welcome.

25. mark winstanley

I forgot to link a track.

Black Diamond Budokan 77

jeffreybh likes this.