Live/Studio Hybrid Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

There are a few different specimens of the live/studio album. The most straight forward type would be cases where one side is clearly live while the other consists of studio material. Examples would include Traffic's Last Exit, Family's Anyway and The Fall's Seminal Live. Also, the Soft Machine's double album Six would fit here, which may be my favorite of the post-Wyatt albums.

Then we get to some of the more mysterious, murky hybrids: King Crimson's Starless & Bible Black was basically a live album masquerading as a studio album. The first two tracks were completely studio tracks but most of the rest was live with some overdubbing. ("The Mincer" is a particularly unique case of a track that was drawn from one of their live improvisations, but then the vocal part was created later in the studio.) Other examples would include Soft Machine's Third and Grateful Dead's Anthem of the Sun. Frank Zappa was another artist who frequently blurred the line between live and studio cuts on his albums.

I suppose that a final group here would be basically live releases that have been heavily overdubbed in the studio. Apparently, this was true of the Band's The Last Waltz performance, though of course, this release also included some studio tracks as well.

How do you feel about these kinds of hybrids? What are some of your favorites?

Rne and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

The two best live/studio hybrids Zappa did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Wheels of Fire by Cream would be the obvious choice for me... not too much of a fan of the live disc, but the studio stuff is particularly sublime...

rmath84, alchemy and Colin H like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Kinks "Everybody's In Showbiz" is a favourite!,:righton:

6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The album that turned me onto rock and roll would surely qualify...

It has both studio material and live material enhanced by the studio...and everything in between.

All in the most positive of ways...:)...

[​IMG]

7. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

ZZ Top Fandango

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  8. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Miles’ Live Evil, ABB Eat A Peach, and Santana's moonflower

9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Leonard Cohen’s Dear Heather comprises mostly contemporaneous studio originals but ends with a live cover of Tennessee Waltz from twenty odd years before the rest of the material was recorded.

10. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder Feeds on Lightning

11. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

The earliest I remember listening to as a kid was Moody Blue by Elvis Presley. I still like that album.

GlassPepper likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Anthem of the Sun, an exquisite abrasive collage of studio and live recordings.

13. thefxc

thefxc Forum Resident

Wasn't Wire's It's Beginning To And Back Again some kind of live/studio hybrid?

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Ummagumma is like two different albums packed together, but technically is a studio/live hybrid.

15. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Humble Pie's Eat It comes to mind in terms of the live/studio hybrid, but as @Rne posted above, the Dead's Anthem of the Sun is a nice experimental hybrid for its time. Zappa and early, mid seventies King Crimson are also fine examples of this notion of practice. Eat a Peach is also noted. The Byrds' Untitled(Unissued) in their original and remastered forms are another fine example of the hybrid. Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps is basically live, though some of the cuts allude to otherwise.

Tristero and Rne like this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

JOE JACKSONS-"BIG WORLD"?

17. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Miles Davis’ 80s albums ‘Star People’ and ‘Decoy’ both mixed studio and live recordings as well.

SonicBob likes this.
  18. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

Pentangle's 'Sweet Child' (1968) - a double LP: one disc studio, the other disc live, and including only one song from their (only) previous LP, the other 11 being wholly new to the band's recorded repertoire (although a few of these had appeared in different forms on previous albums that the members had been involved in).
    In terms of the hybrid type, Quintessence's second LP 'Quintessence' (1970) included instrumental excerpts (guitar wig-outs) from two songs performed at St Pancras Town Hall, April 1970. The concert was recorded by Island records, but there had been a mic glitch so it was clever of producer John Barham to represent the live, improvisatory magic of the band by excising a couple of non-vocal sections of songs from the show, give them standalone titles and use them within the otherwise studio album.

Rne likes this.
  19. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Mountain - Flowers Of Evil

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    snigglefritz likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Black Crowes -- Before the Frost... Until the Freeze

moe. -- Wormwood

Phish -- Hoist (the jam on one track was recorded live)

21. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Jethro Tull's Living In The Past qualifies as well - a sub category of 'best of with odds & ends and a bit of a live show thrown in'.

Colin H, SonicBob and Tristero like this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Shawn Colvin's Cover Girl is a favorite of mine. It flows so well from studio cuts to live cuts. One of those albums I can listen to just about anytime, no matter when I last heard it.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I Sing The Body Electric, by Weather Report. One studio side, one live side.
    Live/Evil, by Miles Davis. A mixture of live and studio recordings (more live than studio)

Grosso modo, Frank used live material in all the following studio albums:

Uncle Meat (3 live tracks)
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh (we can say it's a half live/half studio album, actually)
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich ("Holiday In Berlin" guitar solo, excerpts of "The Little House I Used To Live In")
    Chunga's Revenge (one live track)
    One Size Fits All ("Inca Roads" basic tracks and guitar solo, "Florentine Pogen" basic tracks)
    Bongo Fury (half live/half studio album)
    Zoot Allures ("Black Napkins" and guitar solo on "Friendly Little Finger")
    Sheik Yerbouti (most of basic tracks, plus some entirely live intrumentals)
    Joe's Garage (live guitar solo tracks over studio recordings)
    Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar (live and studio tracks)
    You Are What You Is (guitar solo on "Theme From The 3rd Movement Of Sinister Footwear")
    Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch (basic tracks and guitar solos on "Drowning Witch")
    The Man From Utopia ("The Dangerous Kitchen" and "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" basic tracks)
    Them Or Us (many basic tracks and guitar solos)
    Thing Fish (some basic tracks)
    Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (some basic tracks)
    Jazz From Hell (one live track)

As we can see, Frank used lots of live material in his mostly-recorded-in-studio albums :D

dlokazip and SonicBob like this.
  24. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

It is such a shame that Elvis died in a period of his musical resurgence. those albums released from 1970 onward contain so many good tracks - especially some of the ballads.

the album covers reek of the 70s but the music is timeless.

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  25. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Hall of the Mountain Grill by Hawkwind
    This was my teenybopper period music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.