Live/Studio Hybrid Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

I recall that Coda by Led Zeppelin had some live tracks polished up to sound studio?

Rne likes this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Dave Mason....Headkeeper

One side is studio and the other side is live. This was originally planned to be a double album...one album studio and the other live. But the record company- Blue Thumb - screwed that up.

snigglefritz likes this.
  3. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Roxette - Tourism which was a mix of studio tracks and some live from various places around the globe...

4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Goodbye Cream
    Neil Young Tonight’s The Night
    Come On Baby Lets Go Downtown was recorded live.

GlassPepper likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Correct. "We're Gonna Groove" was recorded live in 1970 and overdubbed.

breakingglass and GlassPepper like this.
  6. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

The Byrds (Untitled) double LP from 1970, one of the LPs containing material from two New York concerts. (photo discogs)

[​IMG]

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Georgie Fame/The Two Faces of Fame

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Dylan's Self Portrait features four live songs.

alchemy likes this.
  9. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Not sure if this fits but Jazz At Massey Hall. It was a legendary 1953 Toronto concert with Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Minugs and Max Roach.

Mingus got back to the States and was working with the recordings and felt his bass was badly undermiked. So when he got back he re-recorded his bass parts and that's how it was released. It was initially released on Mingus' Debut label and subsequent reissues were from those tapes.

In 2002, it was finally reissued without the overdubbing.

Rne likes this.
  10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

IIRC Jackson Browne's Running on Empty was recorded in multiple places associated with being on the road: in an empty Merriweather Post Pavilion, on the tour bus, in hotel rooms, backstage, etc. Kind of an interesting idea...can't argue with the results.

[​IMG]

canadian73, rmath84, lucan_g and 4 others like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The original Ellington At Newport was a hybrid partly for the same reason: undermiked instruments (and because Duke felt they hadn't played that well :D ).

trebori likes this.
  12. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

The Twenty-Seven Points by The Fall is subtitled Live 92- 95 but has two studio tracks. One of them, "Noel's Chemical Effluence", at the end of side 4, is one of their best!

trebori likes this.
  13. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Good thread idea! I love that strange live/studio hybrid you often got in the 70s. Here are a couple that spring to mind.

Yes - 'Relayer' - Wasn't a large central chunk of Gates Of Delirium taken from a live performance? Or does it just sound that way?

Tangerine Dream - 'Ricochet' - a live recording from 1975 with lots of studio tinkering. And sounding wonderful! In fact I think Edgar Froese had a habit of over-dubbing live recordings.

A well-known example (supposedly) of studio overdubs on a live lp is of course Lizzy's 'Live and Dangerous'. Read about this years ago, having never seen them live so can't give my own judgement - but the record sounds amazing! Who cares when it sounds that good?

The other one that has since come to light, because of the availability of bootlegs to compare against, is 'The Song Remains The Same' by Led Zep. At least, theres a website dedicated to pointing out the differences between the lp and the bootlegs of the same shows. Some people have a lot of spare time on their handsa!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

That's a live album. All the attendees were invited. They were told to remain silent during the performance. And somehow, they obliged the request.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Marvin Gaye Live? Side 4 was studio Gotta Give It Up IIRC

16. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Hey Lawdy Mama, Corina Corina and Twisted were all studio tracks with overdubbed audience applause. Never bothered me at all.
    [​IMG]

17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Smokin' at the Half Note by Wes Montgomery and The Wynton Kelly Trio is live Side 1, Studio side 2.

18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Check.....I stand corrected.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great album. Also Quichotte (later known as Pergamon) is a hybrid one.

GowG likes this.
  20. tenohtwo

tenohtwo 1002

Yes, the band took some live audio from three different shows, omitted the audience noise, re-recorded some of the instruments and vocals, and added three new studio recordings at the very end. It's one of my favorite Wire records! :)

thefxc likes this.
  21. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Rust Never Sleeps

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I was listening to Santana's Moonflower just yesterday.

canadian73 likes this.
  23. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Eat a Peach by the Allman Brothers has been said. I love the album, but don't like that it's a hybrid especially with the live songs in between the studio. The studio album would have been probably less than 30 minutes. On record it was even weirder if you listened sequentially from side 1 to side 4 because Mountain Jam was broken up onto sides 2 and 4. I know that you could stack the records so you could hear sides 2 and 4 with a little gap.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Sham 69 - Tell Us the Truth
    The Damned - The Black Album
    The Frost - Rock and Roll Music
    The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up With..
    Soft Machine -Third, Six

25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Weather Report "8:30"

Three sides live and the fourth was studio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.