Live TV Streaming Services...Who Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

I've been using Hulu+Live TV for the last few years. But, I just received a notice that they are raising their rates another $10 to $55/month. This after they raised the rates from $40 to $45 in Feb. They aren't adding anything to the service, they're just raising the rates.

This price change allows us to continue delivering the best live and on-demand TV experience for you. In addition to ongoing product enhancements, Hulu + Live TV will continue to include the largest streaming library with more than 85,000 episodes of TV, movies, and award-winning Hulu Originals.

Aside from the cost issue, I've been having reliability issues with their live streaming on my mobile devices.
    I am constantly getting buffering issues and time outs with error messages like this...

[​IMG]

I've tried the suggested steps, and contacted their support numerous times...they open a "ticket", but it never gets resolved.

So, we are looking at other live TV streaming solutions and I am curious what other peop,e are using and how happy you are with it?

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

We use YouTube TV. Good range of channels. No reliability issues, so far. No complaints of any great importance.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I use my compyooter, using questionable servers that stream series online from multiple sources, so you can choose a show, choose an episode, then choose a list, which server hasn't been ceased-and-desisted yet.
    Currently watching two HBO series, watched complete runs of basic cable nets, Hulu, Starz, Netflix, CBC, Sky, as well as other premium and international networks' series, and I've already located a couple of links for Disney+ and Apple+ shows I'd like to watch.

It's a cat-and-mouse game of clicking on something and battling pop-ups and fake "shutting-down-your-bank-account-in-3-2..." whack-a-mole" junk until your browsers learns to knock 'em out, but, you can't beat the price.

It's also an easy way to beat the networks that try to mess with our DVR scheduling, or when the game pushed prime-time programming back a half-hour.

Most importantly, it's a way of losing respect for media companies that hate their viewers this much, they make them jump through hoops to put one over on them...and the satisfaction that comes out of that.

4. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

We had Netflix, but canceled the service about two months ago not only because of the rate increase since April, but we are also cutting back expenses on things that aren't essential right now and Netflix is one of them. Though my wife has Prime, we don't really watch it much if at all because there's really nothing that strikes our interest. With the way these services always hike the prices upward, before long streaming services won't be any better than cable.

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’ve been using YouTube TV for a few weeks now, since PS Vue announced it is shutting down. I am very satisfied with it so far. Easy to navigate and no streaming issues at all.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

We have Netflix and Prime as well, but I’m really talking about services that also provide live TV streaming...sports, news, your locals etc.
    Hulu + Live TV
    YouTube TV
    ATT TV (formerly DirectTV Now)
    PlayStation Vue (shutting down)
    Sling TV
    Etc.
    An outdoor antenna works...we have one...but it’s difficult to get many channels where we live and you can’t pause or rewind.

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For me, it’s primarily a contest of most-convenient. I used to watch three current sitcoms on CBS when we had a physical DVR. On YouTube TV, those shows are in my library, but they’re the On Demand version rather than the recorded version. They don’t allow fast-forward through the commercials. I quit watching those shows in favor of shows where fast-forward is allowed, which seems to be everything except CBS.

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.