LM219IA with Klipsch Cornwall III - Bass

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Emielcornelis, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emielcornelis

Emielcornelis Member Thread Starter

I am driving my Klipsch Cornwall III s with a 219ia. But I lack bass. Any advise. Thanks,

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Make sure they are not out of phase - +/-

Seems it is 24 watts- which is more than enough - I've run 30 - 60 and 125 watts (all PushPull though) - never any issues with lack of bass.

Mine are a few inches (@6) from the walls and toed in.

Provide a picture of your setup. Have you tried a different amp?

Also Cornwalls will reveal if the source is poor.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  3. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Does it matter if you use different sources? Do they lack bass no matter what you are feeding them with? I dont know Klipsch but I do know LM products well and do not think the amp is the culprit.

4. Emielcornelis

I changed the speaker cables and that made a big difference. The set-up is temporary so not ideal yet. Input was from either the turntable with phone stage as the CXN playing Tidal from laptop with USB A to USB B.
    With the right set up (Corners for the Cornwall) all will be good. But need to rearrange the whole living room for that.

current set-up
    Would show if I would manage to attach a pic...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  5. Emielcornelis

That said, I am using the 8ohm output on the 219ia. Would using the 4ohm make a difference?

6. Emielcornelis

And from more reading. How does the awg of the speaker wire plays a role? Thicker cable better bass?

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It won't help. Move the speakers backs closer to the wall behind them. Then it will depend upon source impedance and tube choices. JJ tubes are darker sounding than many others. My guess is that it's less of a lack of bass and more of a predominance of mids that create the soundscape there. Trying the 4 ohm taps might also soften the highs a bit, as it's a better transfer match for the woofers and less so for the mid and HF drivers.
    -Bill

ceynon likes this.
  8. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

If the amp is anything like the LM 508ia, it'll have different speaker posts at different impedance values - 4, 8, and 16. The 4 ohm tap will give you the best bass. It's worth experimenting with.

9. Emielcornelis

The source is ok, been experimenting with positioning a bit and that helped some. Using 4ohm and that gave some more bass. The soprano voice of Eva Cassidy sounds amazing. Fields of the World by Sting as well. The more uptempo miss that little umph. This is of course a SET tube amp. I ll get there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.