Loading for Rega Apheta 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Calarco, May 13, 2020.

1. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can’t adjust VTA on Regas, only VTF. So that is why I asked about VTF.

2. Dave Calarco

@Bart How are you enjoying the Aphelion 2? Did you upgrade from the Apheta? Do you think the jump in price is worth it?

3. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

Well, to be fair, you can change the VTA on a Rega, but they do not provide for easy on the fly adjustments (a fairly significant detriment IMHO). There are 3rd party adjusters available, you just need to find the right one for your specific table / arm combo. The theories of Roy including VTA not being important amongst other things caused me to move on from Rega to other things. Not saying they are bad tables, but when you move up to the RB2000 and the new RB3000 arms, still holding to the dogma that VTA doesn't matter is just silly IMHO.

4. oblomov724

oblomov724 Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, switched to balanced XLR cables from ph10 to my receiver made a huge difference. Not sure if you already are using them or RCA. Changed everything. Now only using 0 gain. Much bigger soundstage. I bet the guy that was using -3 was using balanced cables.

Dave Calarco likes this.
  5. Dave Calarco

Very interesting. My receiver doesn't have XLR inputs. I am running an Integra integraded receiver that is totally outclassed by the P10/Apheta/Gold Note combo. I am not getting the best performance out of my setup due to the receiver. It's annoying. I have been loosely looking into upgrading it, but trying to figure out what to buy is a bigger headache than the phono stage decision. I have been leaning towards going with a McIntosh since they are tried and true and pair well with B & W speakers from what I've read. I've also looked into Luxmans. The options are endless and everyone has a different suggestion. I backed off because I wasn't ready to dive into the decision making process. I think I need to move forward though because I went all in with everything else.

That is good to know moving forward when I have the ability to use XLRs. My receiver is also like 8-9 feet away from my turntable and phono stage, so I'll need to get some long ones.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  6. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

Heads up that XLRs are typically +6dB versus RCAs and, particular receiver implementation notwithstanding, I expect that's what you're hearing.

oblomov724 likes this.
  7. oblomov724

Thanks. Makes complete sense. Other than the +6 dB are there any other advantages to the XLR?

8. Dave Calarco

Is this really the *only* difference?

9. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Had a careless mishap with my Apheta 3 this afternoon on my P10. I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about it (trying to clean something and my hand slipped, bending my stylus to the right)

So the Aphelion has been ordered via MusicDirect. Now I'm sick to my stomach thinking about how much it's costing me.

james likes this.
  10. oblomov724

On the positive side, guessing you got the Aphelion 2? I have the Aphelion 1 and it was a significant upgrade from the Apheta 3. I'm sure the Aphelion 2 will be incredible.

Musician95616 likes this.
  11. Musician95616

I actually ordered the Aphelion 1, not realizing that there was the 2 (my bad). But I think I'll still be good? It sounds like you felt that it was worth the upgrade?

oblomov724 likes this.
  12. Musician95616

I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse though.... my Apheta 3 still plays and seems to sound absolutely fine. The sight though of the slightly bent/pointing to the right stylus still unnerves me though.

13. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

From my research yes. They are the same internally. Cantilever, stylus and housing are the only differences. Have you found anything different?

14. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

This sucks! So sorry to hear. The one thing that sucks is Rega offers no repair service for their carts. You can only trade it in for $500 towards another cart. That’s really lame. What do you plan to do with the damaged Apheta?

15. Musician95616

It kills me because I haven't had this for much more than two months. I just wasn't thinking whatsoever and shouldn't have had my hand near the stylus in the first place.

Upswing, I am anticipating that the Aphelion will be significantly better? Or I will convince myself that it is >: )

16. oblomov724

If you can I'd swap it for the Aphelion 2. The reviews stated was a big upgrade and I think they sell for the same cost. I love my Aphelion 1. I went with the 1 as I got an extreme discount on it.

17. Musician95616

Music Direct doesn't stock the Aphelion 2 : (

18. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Who did you purchase your apheta 3 from?

19. oblomov724

It was actually fun installing the Aphelion. Easiest cartridge install I've done (probably my 5th install) with the 3 connection points, no azimuth to correct nor vta to adjust. Also comes with this cool wrench that applies exact right pressure to each screw so all same correct tension. The Aphelion was a very noticeable upgrade to my ears from the Apheta. Will be really curious what you think.

20. Dave Calarco

Do you think it's worth the 2-3k upgrade over the Apheta 3? I realize money is different for everyone, but 2-3k is 2-3k. Thoughts? I guess you have the one, not the two, but nonetheless, you hear a legit difference?

Anyone have the Aphelion 2 that can speak to this?

21. Dave Calarco

nope. it's just shocking that it is so much more expensive if that is it.

LivLif likes this.
  22. Dave Calarco

Just got this from The Sound Organisation—Rega's US distributor. I asked them if the boron cantilever was the only difference—

They said:

"Tighter care is taken over her craftsmanship"

And then sent me this internal blurb written about it—

The new Aphelion 2 has a BORON cantilever. Why this and not the usual aluminum material we use on all our cartridge cantilevers? If we’re trying to decrease mass, which reduces the moment of initial inertial in a linear ratio, meaning less force has be applied to get something moving, and also stop it once in motion, and since our fixed diamond is being asked to trace very small vertical and horizontal relief in the record at high speeds, it makes sense that the lighter the mass is, the faster and more accurately the diamond can retrace the groove pattern since it’s moment of initial inertia would be lower the lower the mass. If we’re trying to use materials that are more rigid to decrease any tendency to bend (Thus absorbing energy and not transmitting force as accurately as a harder materials that doesn’t bend might), then materials with higher hardness levels would make a better cantilever material since it’s purpose is to transmit motion of the diamond up into the magnetic gap of the cartridge body. In general, materials that have higher hardness coefficients, are also heavier. A feather versus a piece of steel, or instance. Aluminum is the 13th element on the periodic chart. It has an atomic mass of 26.98, and a hardness of 2.75 Mohs. Boron is the 5th element on the chart with an atomic mass of 10.81, and a hardness of 10 Mohs. THUS — Boron is more than twice as light as the same quantity of Aluminum. BIG mass savings, can change directions easier and faster! AND — Boron is more than three times harder than Aluminum. Big rigidity/strength gain, and doesn’t absorb energy in the process of bending - stays rigid and delivers the exact movement of the diamond into the magnetic gap on the other side of the cowling that holds the cantilever in place relative to the magnets in the Aphelion 2!

23. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

My $466 Audio Technica AT-OC9XML has a boron cantilever too, so I don't think that would add any significant cost on its own.

24. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Sounds like the only difference between them is the boron cantilever. Pretty clear to me.

Dave Calarco likes this.
  25. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I don’t think it does (add significant cost). It provides an improvement over aluminum and that means they can charge more for it. I bet the profit margin on the Aphelion is substantially larger than the apheta. :D