Loading USB sticks with albums to play in a car (HOW TO?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is anyone playing Qobuz (not downloaded) with their iPhone using Bluetooth in a new vehicle like the new RAV4? I find that using Qobuz with my iPhone 13 in my 2012 Prius that I lose the signal on occasion. Not sure if it's the older Bluetooth version in my Prius or poor cell signal or both.

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well this seems to be where I'm at. I stuck a couple album folders in WMA lossless onto the same USB stick that has about 50 other folders of 320k MP3 albums. My car screen didn't even show the presence of the 2 new folders. I already knew my Windows 10 pc would show them, so I stuck the stick in a Chromebook. The Chromebook showed the folders and when I opened one it showed to be an unsupported format and directed me to the store to get an add on to play it.

I just stuck the 2 WMA lossless folders on a different empty stick to see if maybe having 2 different file formats the other stick confused my cars system.

3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Damn this Sh!t is crazy! The 2 WMA lossless folders played flawlessly in the car not sharing a stick with 320K MP3.......... Well I'm off and running, quite happy to be able to play lossless.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  4. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

I stream from Qobuz to 8 y.o. and 2 y.o. Toyota cars. In both cases Bluetooth connection is used from phone to car. I did not find any interruption other then when LTE cellular service was unavailable for minute or more. Newer car has better sound quality from the same source. Most Qobuz streams I use are high-res versions.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same EXACT problem here with a 2018 Honda Accord Touring. Maddening.

In fact , it also happens when the phone is plugged into a USB port in the car.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I can play FLAC on a memory stick in my 2016 Ford Escape but I get a "blip" in between tracks that segue.

7. Eric Quincy Tate

Eric Quincy Tate Active Member

I have used this drive in various Toyotas. They various requirements. Needs to be formatted FAT32. No more than 9,999 songs. I put 9,998. I use iTunes and create MP3 or MP4 versions of the songs. The just copy all of the files onto the drive, no other meta data editing required. Done this way the folders will be artist/album/songs. Two many files in a folder can also be problematic. I create 4 folders music 1, music 2, etc and the divide the artist folder evenly among the 4 folders. In the car you play by album, artist, genre or random. It works great for me.

8. Eric Quincy Tate

Eric Quincy Tate Active Member

Samsung Fit 128 GB thumb drive.

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Gapless playback of songs like this isn’t always supported by car stereos. My current 2022 Merc does the same with FLAC files, even though those files play without gaps on other devices.

MikeP5877 likes this.