Lodge 49 - New Show on AMC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sort of a comedy/drama - a ne'er-do-well ex-surfer joins a fraternal order in Long Beach. Because the premiere followed the season premiers of BCS, I watched and found it OK enough that I'll at least give it a few weeks. Interesting cast of characters, and I could get drawn into the simple, interesting Long Beach lifestyle presented. It will interesting to see where this show is headed, because it is not yet clear.

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I found it promising, too. We'll see...

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The commercial I saw for it described it as: The Big Lebowski on television. If you watch it with that in mind, because the main character looks and acts a lot like Jeff Bridges, it's really enjoyable to watch. I'm gonna stay with it.

JimW and forthlin like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I enjoyed it. And wss tickled to find that "Dud" is named Sean Dudley. One of my good friends is named Shawn Dudley. Not the same character, but a fun fact for me.

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

So he's not The Dude, he's "Dud." Ok.

6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I noticed the Lebowski-like character of "Dud." I'm interested in seeing more, hoping it delivers:)

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, we really gotta watch the whole first season to find out whether or not the rug really ties the room together...? :p

8. rburly

If the quality of writing and acting stays anywhere near the first show, it should do well. There's enough fantasy that keeps it interesting.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Both FX and AMC have distinguished themselves in years past in terms of stories and production value.

10. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I watched ep 1 On Demand last night. Good stuff so far.

rburly likes this.
  11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

My situation exactly. Though I was hoping it wouldn't be too much BL- and so far, so good. But if Dud starts drinking white russians...

rburly likes this.
  12. rburly

:winkgrin:

13. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

AMC?
    A Milli0n Commercials?

14. JimW

It's getting ridiculous isn't it? Thank God for DVR's.

Spitfire, Sharp 1080 and forthlin like this.
  15. rburly

I’ve noticed the later in the show, the longer the commercial break. It gets tedious after a while.

16. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I'm halfway thru the first episode, think I'll stick with it for a while...

17. Enjoyed the first episode. Into the second right now.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Watched one episode and I wasn’t impressed. Probably won’t revisit.

Fullbug and Deesky like this.
  19. rburly

I didn’t see it last night, but was able to watch episode 3 on demand. It’s another great episode. This afternoon I watched episode 2 and it filled in some pieces.

I’m really enjoying the series. Brian Doyle Murray as the head of the Lodge’s boss is great casting for the show. Dud is a young Lebowski type who I could easily see aging into our other hero. Dud’s twin sister Liz is gorgeous. I’ll have to look up her name. The cast and the story (I won’t spoil) are really entertaining tv.

Thomas D and JimW like this.
  20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm giving it a chance while not really finding it all that entertaining. The Dude was obvious in the first episode but it really doesn't have the acting or the writing to stand up with its predecessor. Comes off as an inferior version of Lebowski.

Expecting the cliche roll reversals between Dud and his sister. She's been carrying him for a year then the rolls revers and he finds a purpose and she breaks down. Then next season they can reverse again. :sigh:

I'm trying hard to sit through the first season but they are making it tough at times.

21. JimW

Anybody else think that Dud will be shown to be some kind of supernatural hero for the Lodge? There have been hints.

It's been a little slow going, but it seems like they're still setting things up. I have a sense of anticipation for what's coming and feel it could be really good. But going by what I've seen in the 1at two, nothing special yet. But I'm staying tuned...

Thomas D likes this.
  22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I think he's going to turn out to be some kind of "chosen" figure for the lodge.

rburly and JimW like this.
  23. JimW

I agree, but it also seems to me that there will be some kind of supernatural agency involved in that process- related to the alchemical/philosophical bent of the Lodge.

Or maybe it's just that when I hear "the lodge," I can't help but think of Twin Peaks...

forthlin and rburly like this.
  24. rburly

I think this show can go anywhere with what I've seen so far. I'm hoping they use the metaphysical aspect to keep it interesting.

forthlin and JimW like this.
  25. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Wyatt Russell who plays Dud is Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's son. His character reminds me a lot of Kurt's Captain Ron character which I enjoyed quite a bit.

I'm really enjoying this series for a number of reasons - one is the setting which takes place in Southern California (where I live) and I can totally relate, the others are the whole surfer attitude, donut shop in a small strip mall, manufacturer's rep for plumbing (I've known a few in my previous line of work).

Best part for me so far was when Dud's sister was eating a burrito inside the church! :biglaugh:

notesofachord, vince, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.