Long Island, New York Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mike from NYC, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

WGLI....R.I.P.....a killer Top 40 in it's day! All 'NYG was was a second rate oldies station which lust happened to have one killer staff who loved what they did.

Still standing? Well....kinda. They're Christian Contemporary now, but at least it's being run by former staff of "The Good Ole Days". It's better than what sadly happened to The Mighty 1290.

No no........this place we're referring to was in that big shopping center right at the intersection of Jericho and Vet's Highway. It was across from the world famous Commack Motor Inn. I forget what exactly the anchor store was, since they had closed a couple of years ago. Was it Korvettes?

Cheapo's is still alive and well down the street (per say) at The Mayfair Shopping Center. I would have been there last week to peruse the goods, but I had to cut my L.I. trip shorter than I was planning.

2. funhouse

funhouse Senior Member

There's a relatively new place (think it opened about a year ago) in Port Washington called
    R N' R Records. It's a nice place... lots of used CD's, some cheap vinyl, and a good selection of collectable vinyl that you have to ask to see (there are catalogs of it). Nice guys that run it too.

3. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Different stores

I jumbled my thoughts. I should have separated my references to the Commack store from the Huntington store, which I visited around 1987.

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I think RNR may have closed. My office services them and packages started coming back to us. Tim the owner is a nice guy though.

5. japes

japes Senior Member

I lived in Farmingdale for 5 years. I live in Queens now but I occasionally still get out to L.I. to shop.

Infinity is great, especially with collectible vinyl. I've never been disappointed in the grading.

The two Cheapo's stores (Mineola and Commack) are great too, with good prices and turnover to boot.

There is a new shop in Amityville called High Fidelity records. Their turnover is not that great yet, but I suspect it will be once more people find out about them. Good initial selection upon opening, though.

Slipped Disc in Valley Stream used to have a small vinyl selection but they are now totally devoted to CDs. They still have the largest selection of concert VHS tapes I've ever seen.

Long Island Sounds in East Hampton and Southhampton has an excellent selection of new Classic, Simply Vinyl and Audio Fidelity titles, but they are a bit pricey.

Empire Discs in Garden City probably has the largest selection of used CDs on L.I. Not great in the collectible department, though.

Looney Tunes in Amityville is OK for CDs.

I don't frequent Whirlin' Discs, but there is a really cool antique and toy collectible store down the street called the Land of Oos and Oz if your into that kind of thing. I actually found a beat up US Mono Pepper there for $5.

I'll save Brooklyn and Manhattan for another thread.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

empire disc is out of business.

7. I lived on Long Island for about a year back in the 1960's, and although I don't recognize any of these store names, the city names and highway names ring some bells. I do remember buying Day Tripper, maybe at S. Klein "On The Square" (S.K.O.T.S.) department store in or near West Hempstead.

8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Slipped was supposed to start a backroom dedicated to vinyl, but nothing has happened as of yet. The first time I went here, I bought a number of 80s rock titles STILL SEALED. It's a great independent record store and I hope he gets the vinyl going again soon.

9. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ahhh,the store that was in the shopping center at Jericho & Vet's was MUSIC DEN. They closed a few years back.They had another store in Port Jeff Station.They were there (both stores) since the mid 70's & the best part was THEY NEVER SENT ANYTHING BACK!!!!!--Found MANY out of print CDs/LPs/45s,all at their original prices!
    Stumbled in the Commack store one day in '89,to kill time.Walked toward the back of the store & found THOUSANDS of sealed 8tracks.25 cents each MANY choice/rare titles.Me & two friends spent two hours & a fair amount of money weeding out the good stuff.

10. Drawer L

Bummer! Was only there once,wanted to go back.

11. Drawer L

Nope,Record Stop is still there.Went in yesterday.Overpriced on some stuff,but also has a lot of weird imports cheap,you just gotta dig.

12. Drawer L

You can go in AFTER I'm done! :D

13. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Music Den

Yes, that name is familiar! Was that the one with drawers along the lower left wall full of original and reissue 45's?

Does anyone remember the name of the Huntington village CD-only store from the late eighties?

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

YES! Music Den! THAT was the store!

I remember seeing the boxes of 45's, and I seem to remember about 20+ copies of "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins!

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was just at Empire Discs up in Garden City off Stewart Avenue about 3 weeks ago.

Have they closed since then?

The place was pretty dead on a Saturday afternoon. I was with Jimbo and we had a large package of cds to sell to them from a friend. They paid about $200 for the cds.

I never did find anything I really needed up there. But they are good if your looking for a used CD of the latest pop sensations.

16. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Soundtraks. It's still there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.