Long lost 90's band # 3- Sponge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I heard their lead-off single Plowed and immediately had to know what that band was. I found out it was Sponge and snapped up their 1st album. It was pretty good and Molly was a great follow-up single. The opened up for Live on their Throwing Copper tour and was great. Then they came out w/ their 2nd album which had like 2 good songs and then no one cared anymore. I have since made a killer best of of them as I got the 3rd album for free which filled out the CD.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Funny--I was just thinking of mentioning Sponge here, since I wasn't sure if they were known outside of our area, and I got out the CD to use on a compilation I'm working on.

3. bartels76

Well New England w/ our big rock stations out here picked them up right away and played the heck out of Plowed, Molly, and lead off track of the 2nd album.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great first album.

Sponge even played live here at the Tower Records in Massapequa that year.

"Plowed" is a must for any 90's comps.

5. bartels76

I haven't seen any of the 4 lost bands that I mentioned on any big 90's comps currently out there. It's a head scratcher to me.

6. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I was just thinking about Sponge recently - a few weeks back they played a bar around the corner from my apartment. Verve Pipe (another lost 90s band) used to play the same place in the mid-90s right before their hit song.

7. Mike

Mike New Member

I used to buy "rarities" by these one hit wonder bands for a goof. I have something called "The Exclusive Sponge Sessions" that was a radio promo. I also have the US single release of "Cumbersome" by 7M3 and some kind of collection of 7M3 acoustic songs that I think came bundled with their first album probably. Funny, I never bought a regular album by any of these bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.