Long lost 90's band # 4- Candlebox

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Now this band I thought would last at least as long as Stone Temple Pilots but it wasn't to be. I really liked them and I liked the singers voice. That first album had a lot of great songs, the 2nd album was pretty bad, and then the 3rd album was really good (producer Ron Nevison helped them out a lot on that one) but then no one cared by that point and then they broke up. That 1st album was part of my high school soundtrack though. Great memories of that 1st album.

2. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

My wife likes that first album. It's okay to me...kept reminding me of someone else though...

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Another band that rode that Nirvana/ Pearl Jam wave back then.

I still consider that period that last great musical burst which now has fizzled out.

Another band thats damn good from that era is Collective Soul.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

A mediocre band that didn't have nearly the songwriting talent of STP. Here is what the singer is up to these days. I think he had a record out on Gold Circle before they went out of business.

http://www.kmband.com/

5. bartels76

I just went there..it's sounds very 90's like it should be a song on MTV's Real World Season 1.

6. bartels76

They have anew album and song out on the radio. It's OK. It kinda retreads other singles. I never bought a Collective Soul album but I borrowed all the albums and made a way better comp than what Atlantic put out a couple years ago.

7. JohnG

I'm still waiting for Time?Life to do a good 90's comp cd set.

Maybe call it "Grungemania"

8. Mike

Mike New Member

What about Spacehog and Pete Droge and The Verve Pipe and Los Del Rio and Vertical Horizon and Jimmie's Chicken Shack and Nerfherder? :)

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I liked them quite a bit. Saw them in concert at Texas World Speedway back in '96. First album is pretty solid, but I could never get into the rest of the discs.

10. bartels76

Yeah Totally 80's and all those comps started coming out in 93/94. Where are the 90's comps? There's some pop one's out but not any rock ones. I think Marshall from AF should look into this!

11. bartels76

I just saw a best of The Verve comp out which covers 92-98.

I love that 1 Spacehog song "In The Meantime."

Remember Nada Surf w/ "Popular"

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It seems like every run of the mill bar band has Far Behind in their repertoire. The twentysomething girls love that tune :D

13. JohnG

The 90's was a great era of the one or two hit wonder bands. Some great tunes that are just not heard anymore exist out there.

One big reason why I collect cds. I'm always afraid if I don't grab the cd now, it will disappear and I'll want to hear that rare song once again.

14. Mike

Mike New Member

I just heard Popular on the radio a few days ago. It was cool to hear. Regarding the Verve, I'm talking about The Verve Pipe. Remember "The Freshman"? It was a big hit and so corny. "We were only freshman". They had a single with a few versions on it that I have. And then there was Oleander that had a big hit with "Why I'm Here". And don't forget Marcy Playground with "Sex and Candy". That was actually the biggest hit of the year. I need to hunt down the single "Whoever You Are" by Geggy Tah - that was a goof too.

And on the subject of Far Behind - only the single version has the curse words cut out. I remember a couple years ago it was played on the radio and I was in my car thinking, "I wonder if they still have the single version in their library?" Then the singer started screaming. "F*** you!" and I got a big laugh out of that. I guess they tossed out the single version.

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm almost embarrassed to ask but what in the hell were the Verve Pipe going on about in The Freshman? Just what did those crazy kids in the song do to spawn such overwrought drama :help:

16. Mike

Mike New Member

I never did figure it out. But I always got a laugh out of that song. Oh, the drama! Be still my beating heart! :laugh:

17. bartels76

I sawthe Verve Pipe live at the KROQ Weenie Roast. Horrible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.