Long Shot... Bose 901 Series IV+ loaners for test purposes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ErinH, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am very curious how the Bose 901 speakers would test (objectively mainly, but also subjectively) using the more conventional measurement methods used today (such as the CTA-2034 method (spinorama)).

No Audiophile has some test data here but it's not anechoic by a long shot nor is it incorporated in to a spinorama set of data, which is what I want to see. I'm really just curious to see how something like this would measure not just on axis but namely how its radiation pattern (directivity index) would look because of how the 901 was designed to fire sound to the rear of the speaker. I think this would be a really neat/fun science project, so to speak.

With all of that said I am going out on a limb here... does anyone here have a set of the Bose 901 IV+ (I think the VI is the last version) and the EQ box they would be willing to loan me for review/test? Just for fun. Or if someone can help me facilitate this by putting me in contact with someone you know who has a set that would be great. The test is completely non-destructive. It’s just a bunch of sine sweeps and then various music in my listening room. I’d invite you over to help if you really want. :D

If you want to know what kind of testing I am doing, you can find an example here:

Neumi BS5 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Except I likely wouldn't push the Bose speakers too hard in the distortion testing just because they're old, if the owner doesn't want me to.

I am located in North Alabama and would be willing to drive a couple hours to pick them up if needed. I could also cover shipping if it’s not too much.

I checked the usual for sale locations (Facebook, craigslist, etc). There are some 901 VI's around me (a few hours' drive one-way) for sale that look like they're in good condition but they’re also quite costly for me to purchase just to test.

I know this is a long shot. Not only to find a set someone would be willing to let me borrow but also to find a set that is ready to go (doesn’t need a full set of re-cones, has the EQ, etc). But, I think it would be really fun and enlightening for the community to know what this speaker measures like compared to conventional designs and maybe learn something we didn't already know.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Erin

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    bhazen likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

The Neumi's are stupid good, for their price -- IMO the kings of the sub-$100 speakers scrimmage. I'm finally getting around to breaking mine in.

Pair these with a Sony STR-DH190 receiver ($130), you've got the heart of a good system for around $220. Add an entry-level Onkyo, Teac or Yamaha CD deck and you've got sweet music for @ $5-600

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.