Long-term storage and backup of digital music files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frank3si, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Kind of hard to do all that on a VM:p. As for the OS-X methods, ask an Apple expert.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Details, details, @SamS . It's "easy" to setup your own backup server...

:biglaugh:

SamS likes this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

You do realize that the VM has to run on an actual machine, right?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Uh... cloud backup storage platforms do run on VMs, which run on servers (that consumers don't have to fool with maintaining). And none of those questions I asked you about are OS-specific :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Which part, the sentance where I was showing my initial reaction to people being afraid to learn for themselves so they would give the task off to people who you would then be beholden to...
    ...or the sentence below it which you obviously hadn't read, or you would not have made your first response in the first place, because you asked the obvious question which I jokingly answered before you made your post in haste...?

(also, see my sig file...I wrote it two years ago, but apparently it's almost like I wrote it for you in advance...)

6. Grant

I'm well aware of what a VM is. I use one on occasion with Windows 7 installed on it, and I used one to beta-test W8 when it was being developed.

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Are you also this concerned about being "beholden" to the power company? Or Microsoft or Apple for that matter, since "your" server is likely going to be running one of their operating systems. Unless you go with a NAS box of some sort...in which case you're going to be "beholden" to the manufacturer of the box for updates and support...

8. Dillydipper

Incorrect. As a customer, the vendor who ships their product to my location (an FBI offense if that doesn't happen, y'know ;) ), promises delivery for my pay and promises updates and support as a factor of our agreement...they would be beholden to ME.

Spin it however you want, all I was doing was raising a point and defending my opinion, and you try to bury it in nit-pickelage and fake obtusery and obfuscatio-speak (yes, these are real terms; I checked with myself once I made them up). This couldn't have been a more pointless waste of relevancy if I had tried to talk CD benefits to a vinyl-fetishist.

9. Grant

Cutting off your privates with a dull knife would accomplish more!:laugh:

10. joco20

joco20 Well-Known Member

I hope you do realize that with all those online storage solutions like Google drive, you as a user are responsible for backing-up the data that you put on their drives, right? These online drives are not offered as a back-up or archive solution. They are offered as a means to share your data or make it easily available on multiple machines. And thus they are not suited for the thing that is asked in this thread : " Long-term storage and backup of digital music files"

Google says: "Other than as expressly stated, we don’t make any commitments about the specific functionality available through Google Drive, its reliability, availability, or ability to meet your needs. We provide the Services 'as is' "

MS says: "Microsoft is not liable for any disruption or loss you may suffer [...] We recommend that you regularly backup Your Content and Data that you store on the Services or store using Third-Party Apps and Services."

2 TB would cost me 19,99 EUR/month with Google. Paying 240 EUR per year for no guarantees whatsoever seems rather silly to me. For that price I can by two 2TB drives and replace them every year. And without a doubt, within a couple of years I can by two 4TB disks for that amount. Google's price on the other hand will only go up.

If you need 1 TB to easily share data, fine, consider Google. If you need backup or long-term storage and don't want to do it yourself, look for a backup provider and read their agreement very carefully. But don't use Google drive or Microsoft OneDrive

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    jfeldt, Kyhl, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Corporations all over the world are now using Google Drive as a backup solution. It's perfectly reliable - I'm less worried about losing data on Google Drive than I am about losing data on my local backup. But like I said, I have both a local backup as well as one in the cloud (I'm using CrashPlan for small business at the moment). I think anybody who's backing up data without a live, offsite backup solution at this point is needlessly playing with fire. Any long term solution needs to address the short term as well. And in the short term, if your house goes up in smoke tonight it doesn't matter how robust your local backup solution was, because it's now ashes.

By the way, if you check the licensing agreements on consumer backup software, consumer drives or consumer operating systems, servers or NAS devices, I'm willing to bet they'll offer similar disclaimers regarding reliability, availability or capability to meet your needs that Google and Microsoft offer for their online services. So this demonstrates precisely nothing about the reliability of those services.

I can't address Google's prices in Europe. Google One - the successor to Google Drive - is offering 2TB for $9.99. I'd be somewhat surprised if it was almost twice as much in Europe, but not shocked as prices there are often higher.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, good luck collecting on that "agreement" if the vendor of your NAS box goes out of business.

Don't hold your breath!

:pineapple:

13. Dillydipper

But, if they WANT to stay in business...they have to CONDUCT business. If they satisfy my needs when the purchase happens - I have my files on MY server. If it goes down - well, that's what RAID is for, and I'd rather have the files at my hoouse, not their cloud. How hard is this for you to get?

14. Grant

RAID is not a backup.

jfeldt, sunspot42 and gd0 like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree with that. I have used different back up storage solutions over the years. What ever you are using today, count on migrating to future technology.

If you have the space, definitely keep all of your physical media!

It is best not to leave any electronics sitting around unused. better to start any of them up and leave them on for 5-10 minutes every 6-months or so.

Leaving something like hard disk drives unused for years is not the best idea. Electronics that sit idle for long periods of time, like hard disk drives may not want to spin up after years of sitting idle.

It was OK to leave data cartridges sitting around unused, as they are just a cartridge with a disk or tape on the inside, no motor.

Today, it is less expensive to for most to buy actual real disk hard drives, because of their attractive pricing vs. that amount's of data that they hold.

For people who don't car to have physical hard drives sitting around or are not completely comfortable with technology, solutions like Google are an attractive alternative. Not expensive and easy to use. Worry free. I doubt that I would worry about Google loosing your data.

Myself, besides your primary method of storage, I would buy a couple of extra hard drives, back up your data to both of them.

Keep one on-site and the other off site.

Depending on how often you acquire new media, I would update the onsite drive on a regular basis.

After what ever period of time, you feel comfortable with, I would take your onsite back up and move it off site.

I would take the off site drive and replace the on site drive with it and back it up.

Repeat on a regular basis.

If you only have a singe on site back up drive, I would use the cloud as an offsite storage drive.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

RAID is a protection for stability which makes the server work better; it's part of a strategy. Paper towels are not toilet paper; but, people who use toilets. nevertheless appreciate them when they go back into the kitchen to cook. Lightbulbs are neither butter, nor butter knives, but try buttering toast in the middle of the night without them. :shrug:

17. Grant

You lose your RAID array, you lose your data.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Also important: sensible shoes. But, we weren't talking about that right now. We were discussing the validity of doing one's own server as opposed to saving labor over things one has to learn.

Grant likes this.
  19. Grant

I'm more of a DIY guy. I'd rather learn how things work, and how to do stuff on my own. I like to do things on my own terms. Instead of paying a 'cloud' service annually, i'd rather pay it all up front for my own gear.

That said, there is no shame in using a cloud service for small stuff, but I find it very impractical for as many files as I have and use. And, that's the thing. I don't just want to store, I want to play my stuff any time I want, update and add things, and ensure privacy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

The last three words in your post are the key words for me.

I personally don't care for the concept of uploading anything that happens to belong to me, ANYWHERE!

gd0 likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have 3 HD....just in case.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I work in IT for a financial institution with a 100 billion dollar balance sheet. RAID arrays are part of an availability or fault tolerance solution. RAID is not a backup strategy, which is the topic of this thread.

sunspot42, Kyhl and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

I would think that RAID 1, mirroring, would provide at least a first level data back up, in case the primary drive were to fail.

I would still create backup's.

Craig likes this.
  24. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I have a NAS storing audio and photos. Back it up to cloud storage (Backblaze now, Crashplan previously). The backup app lives on the NAS itself, super easy.

Could I set up another solution myself? Sure. Been there, done that.

But nowadays, you know, I'd rather listen to my music and have a drink and let a pro handle my backups.

sunspot42, pscreed and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Yeah, RAID is for drive failure. If your data gets corrupted, it'll be corrupted across the RAID array.

Grant, sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.