Longest commerically released 7 inch 45rpm record? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by videoman, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yikes, and that was at 33.3, eh? I suppose on one of those ancient 16 rpm discs you could manufacture a three-hour 12" sound quality be damned!

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Layla" is 7:10 on its second (hit) Atco issue, one second shorter than "Hey Jude."

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

They sure are, and the noise floor on those suckers is awfully close to the ceiling!

4. Ray7027

Ray7027 Forum Resident

I have a UK single called The Best Of The British that is 9:51 on side 1 and 11:15 on side 2. It has songs by Average White Band,Wally,Heavy Metal Kids,John Golding and Adrian Wagner. Total playing time of 20:66. And yes its noisy. It
    plays at 45rpm.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

6. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Erasure's "Breath Of Life" 7" single has 2 mixes of the song on the b-side, for a total playing time of over 9 minutes at 45 RPM.

As for longest LP, I suppose 40 minutes per side is possible, especially with DMM. The mid-price Virgin reissue of Klaus Schulze's Timewind has over an inch of deadwax, yet the track runs over 30 minutes.

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Yep here it is.

Attached Files:

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Looks like this will be a fine bathroom record! A Record indeed. Must have been a real job to cut this one.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Hmmm....I could swear I saw one that was longer...I remember thinking that it trumped both "MacArthur Park" and "Hey Jude." But it was so long ago. A subject for further research.

I'll bet that's what I was thinking of...thanks, Tim!

10. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

hmm.... '87...Masterdisk... I'll assume its a DMM cutting, as that's about the only way to fit that much onto a 45 side...

-Aaron

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm gonna go with George Harrison's, "Isn't It A Pity".

Oh, it doesn't come close in the actual time...but it feels like it goes forever.

Didn't help that my copy has the center hold a bit off-center...:sigh:

12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Why do I get the feeling that 10 minutes of audio on a styrene disc will produce hiss after 1 play? ;)

13. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

45 in the UK but it was an edit.

14. Mike the Fish

Nah - that one was 5:50. You're thinking of Secret Friend, which was the b-side of Temporary Secretary - a 12" release only in the UK. There was a 7" promo I gather but I have no idea what was on the b-side - if there was one.

15. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

The US original release ran at 33, but the staion I first heard it on was playing it at 45 and was making it a minor hit!

16. Mike the Fish

I like that.

17. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I checked it - it's 8:53 minutes. I think this song holds the record of being the longest hit song being pressed on a 7" vinyl single. It's funny that the B-side has the unedited version of Sweet child o' mine. The original 7" of that song had a shortened version.

I have that one too - The output level is rather low, so you have to have a real clean copy, but sound-wise it doesn't come off all that bad IMO.

Checked this one too, since I have th Dutch 7" pressing. It has the full 8:23 version on one side.

I also pulled out my 7" reissue of Child in time, a Dutch EMI/Purple pressing from the 80's with the full length Woman from Tokyo on the flip side. The label doesn't indicate the running time, but IIRC it's about ten minutes long. It sounds very flat and thin, though.

18. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

I remember reading one of mastering engineer David Moyssiadis's articles on record mastering in the magazine MODERN RECORDING (remember that one, anybody?) around 30 years ago, where he'd said that one time, they'd managed to cut 60 minutes on one side of a lacquer at 12 inch diameter, at 33 rpm. (This was at the old Frankford/Wayne facility in Philadelphia, where he worked at the time.) The finest playback system could just barely begin to track it without problems. He also noted that that was all silent grooves; if you wanted to breathe in the studio, the time would be shorter.... :D

19. Perhaps this was the mastering session for The Best of Marcel Marceau? ;)

20. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

All this talk of it has encouraged me to needle-drop it.

It actually sounds just fine. Maybe a bit thin and slightly compressed sounding, but not that different from a "normal" 45 recorded at lower levels. There is actual bass on here.

Great performance, too. I like this cut more than anything on the live box. "Incident" is just a great tune.

I'll post a sample clip if anyone can tell me where/how to do it.

21. Since this thread is sporadically addressing other speeds and disc sizes: anyone know what the absolute longest single record released is? I suspect it would be some 16 rpm transcription disc...

22. phish

phish Jack Your Body

this one i pointed to earlier is nearly eighty mintues in total.

http://www.discogs.com/release/655646

23. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I'm not sure about the 45's released outside the US, but the US 45 of "Sweet Child 'o Mine" had the full LP version on it.

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Most likely not, since 16"ers usually weren't Microgroove recordings. The general maximum seems to be just about 30 mins.

EDIT: Sorry...I misread your post, thinking you said 16 INCH transcription disc. a 16 RPM'er is a whole different beast.

Carry on!

25. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

I think Blue Note had some 16 RPM disks once upon a time. Have to look that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.