Looking for a lower priced endpoint for Roon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Feb 10, 2021.

1. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music. Thread Starter

I wanting to implement a new endpoint, streamed from my Roon Nucleus to my living room. Currently using an old Mac mini as a Roon Bridge, but not happy with the SQ.

Don't want to tackle a DIY project, so I am looking a 1) microRendu 2)bluesound node 2 3) ??. No real reason to spend more than about $750 or so.

Does anyone here have experience/opinions about either? Or?

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

What’s the endpoint plugging into? You already have a DAC at that end or you need analog out into an amp or receiver?

I have an UltraRendu that works great, they did a nice job with the OS and GUI but I think their stuff is priced high for what it is. Have heard good things about the Bluesound stuff but no personal experience.

Tons of options out there including the old SqueezeBoxes, but honestly you can do this yourself with a raspberry pi or a google chromecast audio on the cheap also. For sure a lot less than your budget.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have Sonos speakers in the bedroom and kitchen which are Roon ready. All depends on the quality of sound you are looking for.

Vintage Luxman likes this.
  4. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

jmrife likes this.
  5. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Umm. Cheapest option Bluesound Node 2i w/ DAC included.

MicroRendu and SMS-200 require a DAC as well. Also both are wired Ethernet only.

For wireless and without already owning DAC ... Go for the Node 2i

6. jmrife

I have a Schiit DAC and a Cambridge Audio AVR, plus a wired LAN connection. Am more interested in the microRendu.

7. jmrife

Interesting. Are you using one?
    Lowest temps of the Winter so far, I am told.

8. Vintage Luxman

Vintage Luxman Another piece of stereo gear? Are you crazy?

Rockin_Since_58 - which Sonos wireless speakers do you use? I’m considering Sonos One Gen 2 for my living room.

9. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

I'd wager you should be able to get a pre-loved Cambridge Audio CXN V2 for your budget - excellent unit. You can use it as a streamer or as a streaming DAC depending on what sounds better in your system (Must be V2 for Roon Ready).

10. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I am using the original Sonos 1's. Have had them for quite a few years and they have worked flawlessly.

Vintage Luxman likes this.
  11. Vintage Luxman

Vintage Luxman Another piece of stereo gear? Are you crazy?

Thanks a bunch! I’ll give them a try.

12. woody

woody Forum Resident

I picked up a used microRendu as a backup to my Allo usb sig. It was easy to setup and I notice no difference in sound quality to the Allo. I use a linear power supply for both.

Mac mini power supply may be the culprit in your current set up.

13. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

You can get a Wiim Mini for about $100. Works great! Check out Darko’s you tube about it.

14. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I was on this quest recently and read some decent reviews on the ELAC Discovery Z3 Wireless Speaker. But, looking around, it was pretty consistently selling for $499, which was at the high end of what I hoped for. But, then I looked at the ELAC site itself and they are selling this for $249! That made it an easier decision and I bought one for my shop. Is it in the league with my main system? Of course not, but I have to say that it sounds pretty good. If I wanted, I could get another and set them for Stereo, but just one speaker does the job for me.

BTW, for those of you considering Sonos speakers, note that while Roon can talk to them, it uses the Sonos protocol, not RAAT, so you can't group a Sonos device with a true Roon endpoint. Of course, if you are not grouping things, this is not an issue.

rockin_since_58 likes this.