Looking for a table $2000 range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reno_dakota, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reno_dakota

reno_dakota Active Member Thread Starter

Looking for a table in the 1500-2000 range, vintage or new. I listen to punk, hop hop, and electronic, so lots of low end.

I am a total newb and don't know where to start. I am currently still with my starter set up of a Denon Dp 300f with an ortofon blue, technics sa-5360 and Bose 301 series 2.

2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Assuming the rest of your system will also evolve to keep up there are a few questions and quite a few possibilities. Is the price with or without cartridge? Do you have places to go to listen to different tables? In that price range you are mainly going to encounter belt drive or direct drive rather than idler drive unless you open it up to vintage plus work. Personally I chose a Vinyl Nirvana VN150 with an Ortofon 2m bronze in that price range and am very happy with the outcome. I’d also seriously consider a Polytable. But as I said, there are quite a few possibilities including Technics direct drives and nice Regas and Music Halls. If you go vintage the importance of competent restoration is worth taking into consideration. If, for example, you happen onto a cool old Thorens or Empire or Dual, check back here for recommendations on competent restorers unless you are very knowledgeable, very mechanical, and very adept at tracking down parts. Some restorers like Dave with Vinyl Nirvana offer for sale a range of options from, for example, an old Thorens left largely stock but thoroughly serviced to the same model with new plinth, bushings, wiring, tonearm, tonearm Board, etc. To make this a little more concrete I once had a TD150, the model from which my VN150 was made. It was a lovely basic table and had much the same soul as the VN, but the VN is a much better table IMO.

ddarch likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

With that budget, you'll have a few choices and end up with a nice table --- but do you have a preference between a belt drive or direct drive? How about new or used?

These two questions will open some doors, close others, but in the bigger picture help to get some good choices. It will also help respondents narrow down and give better advice.

If the used door is open, the choices can become very vast.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Technics SL-1200GR.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

VPI Prime Scout

McGuy likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Stanton56 likes this.
  8. reno_dakota

I am looking for a belt drive table. I didn't take into account that I may need to upgrade my cart, so ideally the table would have a stock cart that's an upgrade over my Ortofon Blue (though I'm willing to shell out for something better in the future). I am also looking to upgrade my speakers in the ~1000 range, floor standing ideally.

I am in Toronto, so I have quite a few stores I could scope out.

9. reno_dakota

Belt drive, new or used is fine

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The 2M Blue cartridge ships with the EAT B Sharp.

MusicDirect will usually do a package deal on a table/cart purchase in the VPI option.

McGuy likes this.
  11. reno_dakota

I am in Toronto, so MusicDirect isn't an option for me

12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I've been in Toronto and you have some great hifi shops there, from the likes of Bay Bloor Radio and Planet Of Sound to more exclusive ones. There are some forum members from Toronto that can help like @Agitater

13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

So your criteria is belt drive, used is OK and must be bought locally and shipping is out of the question? If the third one is true it may be hard to give advice online for those that don't live in Toronto and / or know what brands are at your local audio shop(s)..........

bootbox likes this.
  14. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Project and Mobile Fidelity tables are in your price range and available through a local dealer (Executive Stereo)

Stanton56 likes this.
  15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Although it's a tiny bit over your budget, I'd give the Rega Planar 6 a listen. If you have the opportunity, listen to as many tables as time permits.

jeff

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  16. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

+1 on the Vinyl Nirvana Thorens, you can get one with a 2m Bronze under 2k. The new Technics 1200’s look great too.

ddarch likes this.
  17. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Definitely read up online, go look at a bunch, and read some more. If you find a good store with a nice salesman and you can time it so you can be in there for an extended period of time when traffic is at a minimum (like a Tuesday morning or something), you could very likely make a leisurely comparison of multiple units. Trying to do this on a weekend is a waste of your time.
    Look at some cheaper TT's and some more expensive ones too just to get an idea of what a certain amount of money gets you, and be open about what you are gravitating towards. Don't overspend if you decide you'd be happy with less, but don't let a couple a hundred bucks hold you back from the one you really want either.
    $2,000 is probably one of the most competitive price brackets, but some TT's in that ballpark are significantly better than others, and so there is going to be a lot of difference in bang-for-the-buck. Decide what features you really want, and keep an open mind. Also, keep the cartridge in mind. A 2K TT deserves a really good cartridge - if it's not included, make sure you budget for the added cost.
    Also, personal opinions will vary on haggling, but if you do find a good salesman you trust, be open about what you are looking for, take advice with an open mind, and once you commit to a purchase ask what kind of a deal he can swing. Be upfront and frank - you have nothing to lose. Markups are not always equal, and if you are open to a few different units, you could possibly get a great deal on last year's model or a good deal on a cartridge bought at the same time or whatever.
    Have fun!

P.S. FWIW, in a market like Toronto with the best selection of used gear in the country, I would strongly suggest that you could get a way better deal buying used if you are open to that. A Technics Sl 1200 (just as an example) or something similar in good shape would get you a fantastic TT and leave you a lot of money left over for other upgrades.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    McGuy likes this.
  18. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Hands down choose VPI. and stop looking after that. I have the Prime Scout but there's a newer Super Prime Scout with more goodies but it's around $2600. I bought my PS new for $1600 with no cart. Best table out there for the money, hands down. You could look at ClearAudio but they aren't as good from my experience.

mike catucci likes this.
  19. Rega P8

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  20. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Rega Planar 6 with Exact. Just got this setup through Gene Rubin Audio.

21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Plenty of strong candidates in your price range to look at. The usual suspects would be something like...

Mobile Fidelity UltraDeck
    Clearaudio Concept
    Rega Planar 6
    VPI Scout (slightly above your price range, might need to find a deal/demo deck)
    GEM PolyTable

Good luck. Those are all good decks, think you'll be pretty impressed with the SQ, assuming a good cart, phono stage, and setup. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Stanton56 and displayname like this.
  22. eirismania

eirismania Forum Resident

I think you will be happy with any of the TT recommended above. What I would do though, as you mentioned you want to get new speakers as well, is spend a little less on the TT and more on the new speakers, say 1500 on each, instead of 2000 on the TT and 1000 on the speakers. You should try to put as much money as possible on the speakers as they are the most important component IMHO.

vinylontubes likes this.
  23. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would spend money on better speakers before I upgraded to a $2000 turntable. The $1000 for speakers might be little low in my opinion. I would be flexible with your budget. I would downgrade the turntable to something in the $1000 range and move more the budget to speakers and match appropriate amplification. I do think you have plenty of budget. But thinking you 38 WPC receiver will be up to task is unlikely. You could look at Vandersteen 1Ci speakers that would work with your current receiver as they are very efficient. But this is slightly above your $1000 budget. I think you could look to lower priced speakers, but, what will that do to your budget if you have to replace the receiver?

JackG and eirismania like this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

VPI Prime Scout.

McGuy and mike catucci like this.
  25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Do you know what kind of "sound" you are after? This kind of drives you to a certain table style. Does sound come first?
    A lush, laid back sound, heavy on the warmth?
    Mid level energy and neutral to slightly soft?
    High energy and full range bottom to top yet with the smoothness of vinyl?

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.