Looking for a "tubey" phono pre under $2k

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ron325, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

How about a Decware?: DECWARE Zen Triode Vacuum Tube Phono Stage ~ model ZP3

I haven't heard the ZP3, but if it's anything like their other gear, it should throw a nice, holographic soundstage. Hand -built in the U.S., 30-day trial, and lifetime warranty - the audio trifecta. Plenty left over in the budget for new vinyl or cart, too.

jgrillo, Helom and riknbkr330 like this.
  3. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I suggest you investigate the Graham Slee range. He's an ex-BBC engineer, has good ears, all small-run, hand-built stuff, punches waaay above its price - and quite a few to choose from that will suit your needs.

4. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards one of these...
    Manley Chinook
    Rogue Ares
    Allnic H-1201

There are used ones available (and more than one of each). I think I want to get something that is fairly known (as opposed to the Decware, although that does look nice) in case I decide to sell. Trying to sell models that have a small fanbase can be a PITA.
    So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Allnic, even though it's the bottom of their lineup (and just recently replaced by the H-1202, which looks like a pretty big step up).

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Always wondered what a Manley Steelhead would sound like for me, but it really is a damn fugly thing.

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

All this Herron talk prompted me to finally bring one home tonight and wow I am not disappointed. Looks like I need to sneak in one more upgrade before we buy a house towards the end of the year.

7. gov

gov Forum Resident

I’m intrigued by the Herron too but two things are giving me reservations—it uses Jfets in the MC stage and I’ve heard it’s not “tubey” sounding. Like the OP I’m looking for some flesh on the bones with my next phono stage.

So hard to tell since the various dependencies in evaluating phono stages but I also don’t think the chinook delivers on the “tubey” thing either. Haven’t heard the 1201 as max loading is something like 280 which won’t work for me but of the three mentioned above I’d bet it’s the most “tube” sounding from trying to piece together reviews (always dangerous).

8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Chinook, to me, sounded a tiny bit more tubey than the Herron. Comparing both, that was not in its favor, though. Brass instruments had a bit more edge and attack to them via the Chinook, but the Herron was believable across the entire spectrum, moreso than the Chinook. Herron was also quieter by no small margin but I think that may have been a system issue, not a product issue (e.g. Chinook just didn't agree with my system in this manner).

Herron doesn't sound tubey, but that wasn't a knock for me. It sounded open, with excellent imaging and instrument separation and clarity. The Chinook sounded more like it wanted everyone to know it was tubed, but didn't go too far, if that makes sense. The JFETs in the Herron may not be the purist approach, but they are used to spectacular effect. Keith takes an almost absurd amount of effort to match every component he puts in his gear and it just results in an extremely musical, honest, and quiet tubed phono stage.

displayname and Josquin des Prez like this.
  9. ron325

Here's a wildcard... Fosgate F159. It's made by Black Ice (Jolida) and made in China, so it looks kinda crappy, but it's cheap. I just can't find any user reviews, other than one guy on A'gon who said he upgraded from a Fosgate Signature v2 and the F159 "blows it away", which tells me nothing.

10. gov

gov Forum Resident

Thanks for the thoughts @toddrhodes.

The jfet thing is a conceptual block right now. I just don’t feel like getting a high end tube stage and adding transistors to the chain makes philosophical sense but Keith has forgotten more about designing equipment than I’ll ever know!

I’m still looking but I’m intrigued about the Herron. Seems to have almost universal praise.

toddrhodes likes this.
  11. toddrhodes

Funny enough this thread has me pining to get another one, now. I can't for financial reasons but eventually, I will. I keep telling myself to just get the MC-only one when it comes up for sale on the used market, but I do have a Shure cart besides my primary Art9 that wouldn't be supported then. My other thought is to just get a very nice, but affordable MM stage and use a SUT with the Art9, but that's a rabbit hole I just don't want to explore at the moment :)

Either way, I hope you and OP find what you're looking for. The reasons we want what we do don't have to be justified, so long as they make you happy.

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Or keep your eyes out for a VTPH-2 [good luck with that, though] and you can run MM and LOMC. :)

toddrhodes likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Had to look at that twice, thought you wanted a phony tube amp.

14. toddrhodes

That's the one I had :) They come along every so often. Not a big deal right now, my CD playback side has given me renewed hope on a lot of fronts, so I'm in no major rush.

15. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Entering my second evening with the VTPH-2 and enjoying every song. Strangely I had to remove my SUT from the chain as the phono has ample gain for my setup ( Rega P9, Ortofon Jubilee, ARC REf 3, Ayre MX-R's)

Noise floor is inky blank at normal listening levels ( sub 40% power). It has a telefunken ECC801S & 4 new JJ ECC803'S in it.

Looks like my beloved Musical Surrounds is going to be offered on the local market shortly

16. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I had a Fosgate Signature V1. I loved it for its overtly tube sound. Sounded best with stock tubes. Vocals were the best I’ve heard to date. Paired well with a neutral cart - Dynavector 17D3.

ron325 likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Easy. Find a used Conrad Johnson PV12 preamp (the model with the phono stage of course). Just use one of the tape out jacks to use as a stand alone phono preamp. Good luck. :)

JustGotPaid, Eigenvector and ron325 like this.
  18. ron325

Seriously? The phonostage is that good compared to a standalone phono preamp?

Oh, wait. Then I'd lose the tone controls on my amp, right? If so, that won't work for me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  19. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Have you considered the Croft Acoustics RIAA?

It can be purchased as a dedicated box but I have it in my Croft Micro 25 preamp and it's superb to my ears. It brought back the joy of vinyl for me.

If you check out the Deco Audio website, you'll see what they think of it.

Deco Audio Phono Stages 02

Don't look for what they think of your Goldring cart, however. They prefer the old 1000 series, which is what I use in 1042 form.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:agree:

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Just use the PV12 as a phono preamp - run an interconnect from its tape out jacks to your current amp with the tone controls. Just like you would with any phono preamp. :)

ron325 likes this.
  22. ron325

Has anyone heard a ModWright SWP 9.0 SE?

23. ron325

I’ve been in a CJ PV-x preamp wormhole for the last couple days!
    I’m leaning towards one of these, depending on the model/condition I can find.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Make sure it's the model with the phono preamp. The one without the phono preamp, which has only 'line level' inputs, is usually denoted as the PV-12L. You must ask the seller and be sure. Good luck. :)

25. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

Another thumbs up here for the Herron, I had a VTPH-1mc and now I have a VTPH-2, the buck stops here. I've had numerous phono pre's before this, I bought the VTPH-2 used and I had an issue with it blowing tubes. After trouble shooting over the phone with Keith, he had me send it to him to look at it. He said that someone had modified it, Keith put it back to where it should be-no charge. I just paid shipping, now there's a stand up guy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.