Looking for a "tubey" phono pre under $2k

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ron325, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Keith upgraded my VTPH-2 to 2a spec last August, for a very reasonable price. This fall I thought I heard a very intermittent buzz in the right channel (now I think it might have been a halogen lamp). Keith came by before XMas (he lives near me), took it home to check it out, and left me a personal loaner. I got it back this week (he brought it over so he could listen to my new tonearm). He only found a slight mechanical hum in the transformer, but replaced it just-in-case. At the same time he noticed the output tubes had gone out of balance less than 1db, but he replaced with matched and balanced tubes. Also at no charge. Keith and I have a very friendly relationship, but it's just how he rolls anyway.

Denizen23 likes this.
  2. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

Dean
    Going off topic a bit, but do you hear much difference between the 2 and the 2a?(why I didn't upgrade it, when he had it, I don't know)
    Thanks
    Jeff

3. attym

attym Forum Resident

I have a Decware ZP3. Its my only tube gear and it gives me the 3D holographic tube sound I think you're after. It responds very well to tube rolling and each tube can be rolled independently. However, it was easy to find a combination that worked. Its probably the one piece of gear that will never change in my system.

ron325 and rischa like this.
  4. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I have PV12 without the phono stage. I have to the MOFI phono stage and I am very happy with it. As for the PV12, I love it. It sounds so lush and textured.
    I recently had to upgraded the volume pot to a TDK 2CP-2508-S as the old cheap Alps blue valvet flaked out (I don't think it was original) and it has taken it to a whole new level. I was floored at how much music I was missing before. Those Alps pots are junk!
    The CJ phono stage sounds interesting. I always thought about contacting CJ if they could ship me one for installing. Would be a fun project.
    Its a great preamp and can be found.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, I’ve read so much on these things, I know. I’m actually looking at various models in the PV lineup, with the PV12 being the newest. Also high on my list are PV5, 7, and 9. I was outbid on a 9 (eBay) today. Some that I don’t want are the 3 and the 10 (which are more available than any other, unfortunately).

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

I can't really say. I trust Keith when he tells me it improves every aspect of the 2. The reason I can't really tell you is that he did the upgrade while I was waiting for Naim Audio to recap my 282/HiCap/250 and upgrade the HiCap and 250 to DR spec. I got everything all back from service and upgrades at the same time (last August) so I can't really say how much was the Herron and how much of it was the Naim. I do know that the Naim service and upgrades brought a lot to the table (resolving details and more focused bass, among other things) based on analog and digital playback, but I can't say exactly what improved on the Herron. Everything improved across the board. By the time it was all broken in again I also upgraded to the speakers I have now. In a sense – other than sources – I got a whole new system.

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Tavish 6sl7 is right up your alley. Easy build and sounds tubey, compared to the Herron or the PH16. All 3 worthy.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I also have the MOFI (the Studio) - very nice sounding. :)

9. ron325

I found a CJ PV-10b (the “b” is key) and just ordered it.
    I’ll post my opinion when it arrives.

bluemooze, rischa and backeast like this.
  10. matt1977

matt1977 Active Member

I have a mint condition Fosgate Signature V2 for sale. Just listed it yesterday. I'm in Vancouver British Columbia. Not sure if I'm allowed to advertise price or if there's a way to private message me. Let me know if you're at all interested. With the way the dollar is these days you might get yourself a great deal. ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  11. Josquin des Prez

You should list it in the classifieds here on SH forums.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. ron325

If the Conrad Johnson doesn't work out, I may contact you. But based on what I've read, the CJ is exactly what I was looking for. The seller did give me 30 days to try it, which was nice.

13. matt1977

matt1977 Active Member

Sold in less than 24 hours. That didn't last long! Was an exceptional phono stage but I'm looking forward to possibly stepping up to the Herron.

mreeter likes this.
  14. ron325

The CJ arrived today... only tested the phono stage (I'm also going to try it as a preamp), but so far, it sounds great. Just what I was looking for!
    And, it's super-clean (and has the manual and glossy ads from when it was made). This was actually the exact model I was hoping to find (it was the last of the "old style" preamps)- produced after the PV-12, but before the newer-style PV-14.

[​IMG] [​IMG] I got the

15. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

It's frustrating as hell. The signature gets plenty of reveiws but it seems like no one wants to reveiw the "Black ice" f159...maybe the name scares them away...wasn't Black Ice the name of that acdc album 8 or 9 years ago?
    Seriously though I'm considering upgrading from my "budgie" and the allnic, rogue ares, and manley are a few bucks above my budget. The fosgate signature. Seems like I can get at my budget. Not being able to try out gear is a killer...I want more of a 3D imaging sound, a little more emphasis on the low end and something that may minimize the snap, crackle & pop tendencies of my Ortofon Black cart.

16. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

Is the OP familiar with any of the Balanced Audio Technologies phono preamps? They really made a name for themselves in that space, and have obviously done many very impressive things. The VK-P5 should be in your price range now if you can find one used. I’d absolutely buy one (as my next and likely last — when I’m ready for a big upgrade from my entry Parasound Z-Phono).

17. ron325

I actually already found what I was looking for- a CJ PV10b. I bought it for the phono section, but I’m using it as a preamp. (I also bought a CJ Classic 60SE.)

bluemooze, dolsey01 and David M. like this.
  18. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

So how do you like the 10B as a preamp?

19. ron325

I’ve only used integrated amps in the past, so I can’t give a direct comparison, but this is just what I was looking for. Adding the CJ amp just magnified what I was hearing from the preamp (obviously, I like CJ’s house sound on their cheaper units).

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Oh my god !
    Haven't even seen tone controls on a piece of equipment since the 80's, at least something has changed for the better.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Had one for many years, it was very very good , in it's day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.