Looking for acoustically transparent grill cloth that can be tie dyed...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Sep 26, 2022.

1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

So my wife is a huge deadhead and thought it would be cool to have some custom Cortenay Pollock tie dyed grills for the Westminster GRs. Seems like a cool idea I guess but I really won't do it unless they are transparent. I contacted Courtenay and he is willing to take on the project, but when he figured out I'm an audiophile he definitely insisted that I source all needed items except of course the actual dyes. The stuff he did for the Dead was apparently mostly just common thin bedsheets in some cases. Ugh. I'd never want that for the Westminsters. I'll also have to get a second set of grills from Tannoy to send to Courtenay to have him do his thing. He will even make sure the keyholes work fine and are not covered over and of course the badges will go over the dyes. Anyway, can you recommend a fabric? Just for kicks, here's his website ->
    Courtenay Tie Dye Clothing & Art

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Groovy! I'd call Guilford of Maine & ask for a recommendation.

Peace, brother!

izeek, MonkeyMan and zombiemodernist like this.
  3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

you might contact Magnepan, as they sell replacement "socks" for their speakers. They have them in a cream color that MIGHT be able to be tie-dyed. Maybe you could get un-sewn fabric.

Was thinking of doing this myself for my Maggie .7's, but never got around to it. However, my plan was to make a custom color, not to create an elaborate design.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've no experience in this, so just sharing some ideas...
    - any thin / open weave fabric should be acoustically transparent, hold it to the light to see how much light comes through (putting aside purists who say that any fabric cannot be totally transparent).
    - modern fabrics are likely to have a high proportion of polyester/synthetics, which I wouldn't expect to absorb much dye colour. Before buying a quantity and getting them made up for your speakers, get some samples and test-dye so you are sure it will be fit for purpose.

BTW, never heard of Cortenay Pollock before, looking at his website I'm amazed what he does - unquestionably the most stunning tie-dye art I've seen.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  5. Stackpole Sound

Stackpole Sound New Member