Looking for audio recording device advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OobuJoobu, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for a recording device that may or may not exist, wondering if anyone can help please!

I have a Behringer mixing desk that connects to my PC via either line in or USB. I record my voice through a mic in to the desk then out to the PC, usually using the USB option.

It's a little restrictive as I can only really use it when near my PC but I would love to be able to use it elsewhere in the house.

What I'd like, if such a thing exists, is something like a USB stick that I could connect to the mixing desk, that I can record directly on to, so that I could then connect that to my PC afterwards to get the audio on to computer.

So, to be clear, it's not a device with a built in microphone I want, it's something that can record audio being sent to it by USB.

I imagine there are plenty of expensive options when combined with lots of other features, but is there something simple that just records audio in the way I've described, in WAV quality? I realise I may be missing a really obvious solution!

Thanks for any advice! :)

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most digital flash memory recorders use either CompactFlash cards, or use SD cards. Or on the upper end use hard drives or SSD. SoundDevices tends to be the best of these. And commonly used in film making. The Tascam DR-07 is what I've been using, but mine is acting flaky and time to replace it.

jusbe and OobuJoobu like this.
  3. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Look at Zoom recorders. They have some models that can connect any mic or line source and record to USB or flash media.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am leaning towards Zoom myself. I dislike the fact that Tascams are getting less durable with the newer models. The Zoom Handy Recorders are excellent choices.

CDFanatic, OobuJoobu and Carrman like this.
  5. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Also, the new RME UCX operates as a stand alone, direct to USB device.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think the OP is looking for a small standalone device to record the USB output from the mixer. There should be something, but I don't know of any.

The portable Tascam and Zoom units will record through their analog input, using the analog out from the mixer, to WAV or MP3 files, to an SD or MicroSD card. Then the Tascam or Zoom unit can play back with a direct USB output to the computer, or the SD card can be removed and attached to the computer.

The basic models Tascam DR-05X or Zoom H1N would be fine for that use. The situation with both of these is their analog "Mic In/Line In" input is only and really a Mic In input, and the input level must be very low. The mixer should be able to handle that, putting out a very low analog output. Tascam notes this in its manual, Zoom doesn't. Or a small inexpensive external attenuator can be used to reduce a real line level output from the mixer to the lowered level the Tascam/Zoom can work with.

McLover and OobuJoobu like this.
  7. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Get a recording interface. Something like a focusrite scarlet.
    Use a DAW. Something like protools. There is a lot of stuff out there.
    Reaper is free and good. I’ve used it before.

all you need

OobuJoobu likes this.
  8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, you've grasped exactly what I'm looking for, and does seem difficult to find. I'm leaning towards the Zoom as an alternative, although there does seem to be a Zoom "field recorder" that might be the nearest thing I've seen to my original plan.

McLover likes this.
  9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I believe that some of the TASCAM portable recorders can record a line-level analog output from your mixer.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  10. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

You could record from the mixer output into your phone's data port, with an adapter such as this: Saramonic 3.5mm TRS Female to USB Type-C Adapter Cable for Mono/Stereo Audio to Android (3")

The link is for the usb-c Android version, but there's also a lightning version for iOS. Assuming the mixer outputs are 1/4", you'd also need a dual TS-to-1/8" stereo adapter cable. I have not used this, so cannot comment on the quality. But it's only $17, and B&H is good about returns.

Edit: I see there's also a version with a male 1/8" plug, which you could connect to the headphone jack on the mixer, avoiding the need for the dual TS-to-1/8" adapter cable. The different configuration options are all on that same webpage.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    harby likes this.
  11. harby

harby Forum Resident

Correct answer. To have a USB output, the mixer has a "sound card" built into it with a USB port to plug into a computer. One needs a USB host device. On a portable, this means a USB-on-the-go (reverse) cable, and device compatibility, because a phone otherwise wants to plug INTO a computer, not BE a computer.

The sound output will only be as good as the ADC Behringer put in the device, and will only work on Androids and iPads if it has a driver-less USB sound interface. These guys that make a recording app have more details: USB audio driver

OobuJoobu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.