Looking for best phono preamp under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rightovers, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I would spend that $1K on a used piece from the next level up.

SandAndGlass and WapatoWolf like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

There's so many though, which one would you look for? I think there are many here that would benefit from the advice.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's a Lehmann Black Cube SE II on US Audio Mart for $800 which would be my choice.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  4. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Dynavector p75 mk4 is great. Puffin is killer for the money. I like both in my systems.

5. #1Zero

#1Zero Well-Known Member

Same here.

Dan Steele and BrentB like this.
  6. John

John Senior Member

A friend just picked up a Vincent PHO-701 and it’s quite good. Audio Advisor has it for $600 new and they have a 30 day return policy. You may want to check it out.

Dan Steele and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Agreed. I’ve been using a 701 for about a year. Still very happy with it. Recently swapped out the stock tube for a Gold Lion ECC83 and now even happier. I see no need to upgrade my phono stage anytime soon.

Szeppelin75, BrentB and John like this.
  8. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Sorry - typo above. The PHO 701 uses a 12AU7/ECC82 tube.

9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

What is deficient about the inboard phono stage on the Marantz?

10. Great advice! I have been borrowing the Reflex and liked it very much. I happen to like my old MF X LPs a liitle more but the loaner scheme is superb and i cant recommend it enough. Superb gear.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. rightovers

rightovers New Member Thread Starter

Nothing deficient per se, just hoping to achieve more clarity, punch, image.

12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

pay attention, go here.

13. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I also have the Gram Amp 2 se with Psu....Had an Ayre phono amp to feed my moving coil habit...can't say i miss it too much...Slee products are great bang for the buck and don't seem to have a downside...love mine:)...using a 2M black btw.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I should say that each of the GS models are based on a different circuit so the loaner program is recommended if a potential buyer isn't sure what they want. Personally I would not commit to buy any phono stage anymore without being able to hear it first, even during a return period for an inexpensive model off Amazon.

Fishoutofwater and Glmoneydawg like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Phono preamps, after trying many over the years now, is one area where three important factors come into play:

1) Paying more doesn't always mean "better" --- both from a system matching standpoint, and from a pure engineering standpoint
    2) good integration / matching with your current system is very important to maximize SQ (including cartridge, TT, preamp, etc)
    3) the law of diminishing returns can kick in early --- depending on your system --- and paying many times more $$$ will only lead to small (if any) incremental improvements.

Matching one well to your system is rarely an exercise that can be done "on paper" --- unless of course you have the luxury of other's experience with the same system components. You really have to try them to make sure.

For me, recommending phono preamps has become tough, and I encourage anyone to try ones with a good return / loaner policy, trust your ears, and definitely compare if at all possible. It is one of the trickier components to get right IMHO, and is more system dependent than most components.

16. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Do you get this clarity and punch from other sources?

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  17. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Just Googled that. Sorta cool. I had never heard of it. Do you have the full case, or the exposed tubes?

18. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Had a 2m Blue for a bit. Get a used Dynavector 10x5 ($300 ish), play it out, retip with Soundsmith ruby LC and be amazed. Then get a used Sutherland PH3D ($600 ish) (zero noise, runs on 16 - D batteries, last 18-24 months between replacements) and be amazed again. My good friend has a Puffin and I have to admit it is very clean and ultra flexible, if you like to tweak it may be your huckleberry. Have fun.

Echoes Myron and displayname like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If I lived in or near Plano Texas I'd be all over that.

20. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Full case. This is a very nice piece at any price. We should use it more than we do.

21. I so agree. My old MF XLPs plus its PSU outshines everything else i have heard. The GS came close. I just like mine but it all depends on your ears and your system. Spending a lot of cash will not guarentee a better sound.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

There is a Gram Amp 2 SE in the old plastic enclosure in the classifieds right now for $111 shipped. Might be worthwhile checking it out. I'm sure someone could break even on it, if it wasn't to their liking.

I'm not endorsing it, I haven't used one. But lots of people in this thread seem to like them.

I'll probably be using my Realistic 42-2109 until the end of time. Crazy quiet, rolls-off below 30hz (so no uncontrolled woofer movement to muddy my bass) and doesn't have much of a signature. I listen to mostly jazz and classical so don't want anything that could be called "punchy" or any of the adjectives often used to describe phono stages here. Just want "quiet" and "honest" teetering on "boring."

23. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

^^great post and is very dependent on what your using now. I was using a $40 phono stage and it wasn't at comparable to 'our' next step up the line.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't speak to that particular model at all. I do know that the models have changed over the years, so buying an old one might not be the same as getting a new one. That is a good price, however.

The other thing is that GS phono stages do not have a built-in subsonic filter. That is entirely on purpose. If OP needs a subsonic filter, they might want to consider something else. Note that it is pretty easy to add a subsonic filter to any phono stage, if it doesn't have one. Harrison Labs and DB Systems make high-pass filter plugs that function as subsonic filters. KAB also has a more complex active subsonic filter device that costs more.

RE: the sound of a phono stage, some folks like a lot of coloration, hence the suggestions for tube based phono stages in this thread. Personally I like a neutral solid state phono stage, which is why I use what I do.

Lots of options on the market...I think OP needs to narrow down some priorities before doing anything.

25. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I'll second this choice. The CP2 is unusually good! I was surprised. I had to spend 6 times more to get something even better. In retrospect I could have happily lived with the CP2.

Gramps Tom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.