Looking for best phono preamp under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rightovers, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

@hagtech - are you the Hagerman Audio Labs proprietor? I ask because I looked at your profile and didn't see any indication you were a vendor, so just asking....

2. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

Yes, that's me. Where do I click the "vendor" box?

3. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Blair G. likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Has anyone used the DIY HiFi Supply phono stage? All tube, no feedback, gain adjustable from 40 to 56dB by tube complement (similar to the Herron phono stage). Just $695 ... think I would've preferred to mount the transformer in the front of the chassis away from the signal lines, and run the AC to it in shields, but most have simple external wallwarts at this price, and don't use real high voltage supplies. Haven't seen a schematic or much talk on it so not too sure on the design particulars...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phono Amp (MM/MC. 40-56dB Gain. 12AX7+12AX7/12AU7/12AY7.) – DIY Hifi Supply

5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Looking at the layout / architecture there, I wonder how hard it would be to move that transformer out of the box, and into a separate box?

6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

What kind of voltage does the transformer in a tube power supply output?

7. Davey

Probably 200-300VAC for the high voltage lines in a small signal type preamp.

It wouldn't be hard but that adds a lot of cost if you are in this price range, and they are high voltage lines so have to careful too. There looks to be enough room if the board and transformer is just swapped around, not sure why they laid it out like that, though there are obvious advantages to having the transformer near the AC inlet, and it may get kind of tight spacing at the back if the board is flipped around (looks like it may be pushed almost all the way to the front now). I just don't like it that close to the low level signal lines. I think it's a kit for that price, though it doesn't say for sure, so one could easily drill a few new holes and move things around.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    KT88 likes this.
  8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I've had my 2M Bronze since about 2012. I often consider moving too a MC. But; then, I think I won't. The Bronze makes me very happy!! Great detail, exceptional tracking!!

LakeMountain and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. Zaroff

Zaroff Well-Known Member

I've been using the Keces Ephono for the last month or so. Couldn't be happier, looks sleek, has a separate power supply, doesn't heat up, and most of all sounds really, really good (Rega Planar 6 Exact MM cart).
    And, what was important for me for various reasons, has XLR balanced outputs as well.

KECES Ephono - Positive Feedback

10. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Four pages of posts and no Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ love?

You can probably upgrade to the 2m bronze and get a demo Phonomena for $1k. Then when you get some more money together you can get the outboard PSU.

Raiderdave and GKH like this.
  11. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

iPhono3 Black Label!! Just $999 and worth every penny!!

LakeMountain likes this.
  12. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

I am also looking for the best preamp for around $1,000 or less. Of all the really nice phono stages mentioned above, this one intrigues me most.

You said "get a demo Phonomena for $1k", but they are $750 new, so I am confused on which model you mean. Musical Surroundings - Phonomena II+ Phono Preamp | Shop Music Direct

13. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

He meant 2M Bronze PLUS the demo for $1K.

brad1138 likes this.
  14. Davey

TarnishedEars likes this.
  15. Snargfarg

Snargfarg Forum Resident

I'm using a Vincent PHO 701 with a NOS GE tube and Nagaoka MP150 cartridge. My next upgrade will be a MP200 stylus. I'm extremely happy with the setup but admittedly don't have a lot of experience with phono pre-amp's other than Schiit and and the one's included with pre-amp's and receivers.

16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Correct

17. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

The Phonomena ii+ is can be found as an open box for $599. Dual mono, almost all discrete, with outstanding load and gain flexibility to 60db, and dead quiet. I've been happily using it for about 2 yrs. with Denon LOMC's (103r, 103D). At the moment I've got about 3hrs in on a new OC9 XSL. The first impression of the combo is an incredibly black and quiet background.

At $750 it was a great buy. At $599 it's 5 stars.

Raiderdave and brad1138 like this.
  18. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I found that last night and decided to pull the trigger. With my luck if I waited, they would have sold out of the open box... I debated on the upgraded PS, but decided to hold off for now.

19. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

I've had nothing but good experiences with them including the ii+. I called them about a week ago looking for an open box LCPS, lol.

20. brianmch

brianmch Forum Resident

I like my PII quite a bit. It does have dark backgrounds and is very quiet. Nice little piece.

The PII lacks quite a bit of transparency compared to my Black CubeSE2 but that has the outboard PS and the PII doesn't which could make the difference.

Were it me I'd be looking into a Sutherland as everything I've heard from Ron is top notch.

I'm about to make a leap from this range up: wish me luck. I can tell you though that for me these phono-pre's were good purchases with 10-15 year lifespans. I have run 3 successively better tables and 3 cart upgrades.

21. THEBARN117

THEBARN117 Forum Resident

Check out a Musical Paradise MP- P2 , very impressive

22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Consider the sbooster power supply. It's actually what Musical Surroundings used to recommend before they started making they're own and it's like 60% of the price.

brad1138 likes this.
  23. Jaxjax67

Jaxjax67 Samantha Fish @ small venue

PJL electronics
    US made ...sounds superb.

24. chalkpie

chalkpie Forum Resident

This is where I'm at. I bought the V3 in 2020 and run an Ortofon Red Quintet MC on it. It sounds magnificent, especially considering the price.

I sometimes wonder where I would need to allocate money to get even better sound - a better cart like a Quintet Blue or Bronze and/or a phono preamp. But at what price is the external phono preamp going to trounce my internal Rogue...or is just the laws of diminishing returns at this point? We are always chasing better sound when in actuality we probably are already close or there already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.