Looking for Bookshelf Speaker recommendations (UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rissey, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Overall, and that lively enclosure aside, the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M offers impressive measured performance, especially when its affordable price is taken into account.—John Atkinson

...speak for yourself.

2. Oh, I’m not doing any speaking. Just look at the frequency response graphs and come to your own conclusion as to whether the measurements are “impressive.” The downward-sloping in room response is decently flat . . . with the exception of that huge midrange suckout. So, if you like smiley-face EQ, you’ll like this speaker. But impressive measurements? You be the judge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    patient_ot likes this.
  3. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Atkinson called it impressive based on his own measurements, not ASR's. And they are not the same. ASR only takes speaker measurements a couple inches from the speaker and says this is exactly how the speaker sounds, which is ludicrous. JA does nearfield too but also from 50" away, which is definitely more indicative of how a speaker will sound. JA's in-room response (which is actual, and not estimated like ASR) looks better than this. As in your image above, ASR shows an estimated in room suckout of about 9 db at 2khz and claims that Klipsch's crossover implementation is ****. JA shows an actual measured in-room 3 db dip at 1500hz, which is the actual spec'd crossover frequency from Klipsch (and no dip at 2khz!). That is a big swing and a miss by ASR. JA's waterfall plot also looks substantially better than ASR.

So whose measurements are correct? You be the judge.

Or, don't judge at all. Listen for yourself and decide.

IRG and Eigenvector like this.
  4. The waterfall plot is worthless and just eye-candy. Anybody’s waterfall plot doesn’t tell you anything worthwhile.

Atkinson has proven time and again that he does not know how to properly operate the AP analyzer. Heavens knows exactly how he is using it for speaker measurements.

Finally, ASR measurements mirror Klipsch’s. ASR uses the Klippel system which mimics measurements done in an anechoic chamber. Stereophile cannot afford the $50,000 price of the Klippel so they don’t use this state of the art equipment. So, either ASR and Klipsch are wrong, or Atkinson is wrong. Take your pick.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Ok, for the one that is wrong, I pick the one that did not accurately measure the spec'd crossover point of the loudspeaker. ;)

6. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

def take a look at the q acoustics punch way above their weight

rissey likes this.
  7. rissey

rissey Member Thread Starter

Will do. Any particular model i should look at (my budget is £400-£600)?

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

More info on the Klippel system here:

Klippel GmbH - Diagnostics of Audio Systems

Announcement: ASR Will Be Measuring Speakers!

I guess $50k would be a nice discount on that system, since the cost is $90K+

:) :) :)

As far as Atkinson's measurements go, he can't totally trash a product or be too blunt. A company like Klipsch is surely a big advertising account and a big deal in the audio industry - if you sell hi-fi rags for a living - you really can't piss them off. I have noticed he often throws companies a softball when things don't look so hot. The measurements he shows are often published in a way that leaves out things also. When he does call out a product, it's because it is unbelievably awful. Not because they are speakers or something with a non-linear response that some folks might find pleasing.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  9. talkingh

these Q Acoustics 3030i
    t

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. That’s their new model, right? I’ve heard good things about them, too.

11. talkingh

12. talkingh

I had the floorstander from Q acoustics..lots of bass for techno...jeff mills sounded killer on them...the Klipsch speakers people are recommending will sound closest to hearing techno in a club

rissey likes this.
  13. rissey

Am very tempted by the Klipsch, though they are double the price of the Q Acoustics. Perhaps I could pair the Q acoustics with something else, a sub maybe? (anything you'd recommend to emulate the floorstanders you mention?) I've no floor space is the thing..
    I read that the Klipsch started out cheaper and as the glowing reviews came in the prices shot up.. though if they end up being my preferred speakers i would reluctantly shell out.

14. talkingh

a small rel sub maybe

rissey likes this.
  15. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I have no idea how to correlate frequency response graphs with my experience. All I can say about my experience of the Klipsch 600Ms is that for the first time in forever, I don't want to change my speakers.

They just sound right.

But they didn't, until I realized that (in my room, at least) they want to be no more than 12 inches from the back wall. Once they were in that position, I couldn't ask for a more balanced and "right"-sounding sound.

rissey likes this.
  16. rissey

I plan to mount mine on brackets on the wall, fairl high up pointing diagonally downwards. It’s the only solution to the tight space I’m working with. Hopefully can get that twelve inches you mention on a diagonal.

17. Oh, that is going to change your speaker selections tremendously. Most of the speakers mentioned above are not designed to be mounted on brackets. The Klipsch especially would not work—you’d have to drill into the cabinet and there is very little space between the binding post plate and the rear port to hold any kind of swivel bracket.

I think there are some brackets which clamp to the bottom of the speaker, but I wouldn’t try those with heavy bookshelves. If I were you, I would start looking at speakers that have predrilled holes in the back for mounting posts.

rissey and Robsonschoice like this.
  18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The KEF 350 is a safe bet.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people like Klipsch speakers. They're unlistenable to me.

rissey likes this.
  19. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Wall brackets would be a No No for me...can't really see any of the current suggestions that would fit that criteria .....installing shelves to put them on would be better although not best. Brackets will limit your choice considerably...Looking around the only real option is the Q Acoustics 3020i which will accept (according to their website) the 3000WB bracket as I believe they have a mounting screw hole in the base, reviews seem to like them so that might be a best option for you...costings vary but Richer Sounds have them currently at under £170...check the bracket situation with them would be my advice.
    Q Acoustics 3020i review | What Hi-Fi?

rissey likes this.
  20. rissey

Ahh, I saw this an thought it was possible.

21. rissey

I was looking at the Kefs too. The klipsch’s are like Marmite! Kind of excited to hear them because of their divisiveness

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Pioneer is clearing out the Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers on ebay for only $99/pair: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) | eBay . It might work fine for you if you want to just try them. And as someone said, you can always add a sub later.

I would be worried about your treble being a little weak now that I hear that you're planning to mount them high up. You're supposed to look right into the tweeter for best treble response.

rissey likes this.
  23. rissey

I’m

I’m in the uk so that eBay deal wouldn’t worth for me shipping-wise.
    Re: Treble - even if I told the speakers down at an angle would I lose the treble?

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The deal is on eBay UK with free shipping (I think): Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) | eBay

Again, these have been highly regarded among many people, even some avowed audiophiles, as a great "bang for the buck" bookshelf speaker. It might be worth trying to just to see if your wall-mounted speaker idea is even feasible before spending bigger bucks on higher end speakers only to find out that they sound terrible mounted up on your wall.

25. Those look like they will work! There is a picture of it with the Klipsch.

The more I think of it, the Klipsch with its “smiley face” EQ might work very well for techno. Is the Klipsch an accurate speaker? No. Is the Klipsch a neutral speaker? No. Is the Klipsch a “high fidelity” speaker (i.e., does it replay music true to the recording)? No. But would it be good for techno, with an overcooked high end and emphasized bass, and a shelved midrange? Possibly. I’d say give it a shot and purchase from a retailer with a 30 day return window, just in case you do not like it.

rissey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.