Looking for Bookshelf Speaker recommendations (UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rissey, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rissey

rissey Member Thread Starter

Ive come across these too. They look good, and cheaper than the other contenders.

Interesting thread on them here, and some comments by the guy who measured them

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Youtuber Zero Fidelity gave them the nod too. When I listened to them I found the bass was a wee bit lively/ bloated. Nothing I couldn't live with for the asking price, and I am well aware of I am nit picking on their performance by mentioning this, but you want a pair of speakers that sounds good with techno.

rissey likes this.
  3. rissey

i do indeed

the name had me laughing though - the "bro" speakers

having said that, my dealer doesn't stock them, id have to get them from amazon. my dealer has agreed to let me take 2 or 3 speakers and return the ones i don't want.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Ric-Tic likes this.
  4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

in this price range, seems the Denton 80th is still worth considering.

5. rissey

..just curious what other speakers did you audition before you decided on the Triangles? were there any close competitors for you, and if so why did you settle on on the Bro3's? not meaning to sound interrogatory, just trying to get a clearer picture of things since there are many voices and tastes to take on board

6. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

No trouble at all. I've spent the most part of 2019 auditioning several Spendor speakers. A4, A7 and D7.2 and D9 before I bought my Spendor Classic 2/3. I listened to a JBL 8 inch model (Can't remember which one) and a exotic 10 inch wideband speaker from Thailand.

The Spendor A and D-lines are very good but I was looking for a relaxed, 'warm side of neutral' sound. Previously I've had listened to one of the higher end models in the Triangle line but I found the treble was way to hot and the speaker too cold sounding for my taste. The latter could be due too electronics being used. Emotiva amp and Ifi Dac.

I saw the review of Zero Fidelity and Shawn's description of them and it peaked my interest. I found his description to be spot on. It also got me in to a little bit of a pickle, should I be pleased with the BRO 3 for what it does, or do I want to pay a premium to obtain a (obviously better) speaker with more refinement? In the end I decided to go with the buy best speaker you can afford paradigm. I wouldn't consider myself a gear head, and thus I will not buy a new amp or speaker in the next 10-15 years (Famous last words).

rissey likes this.
  7. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

I think you are getting close to what you want...I would def buy from a really good HiFi dealer and would recommend this amp, which has digital and analogue connections as you may want to upgrade later...gets 5stars and would match pretty well with many speakers....6000A – audiolab Audiolab 6000A review | What Hi-Fi? Audiolab 6000A (Black) Richer Sounds have an exchange returns policy too...so good luck with your final choice...

8. rissey

What amp do you pair your BRo3's with?

9. rissey

I have come across this amp, it was is in my shortlist next tot he Yamaha A-S701 and the IOATVX SA3

10. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I am sorry, I don't own the BRO3. I've auditioned the speaker a couple of times at a dealer near me. They used a Marantz amp. You will find my equipment listed in my profile.

rissey likes this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Since you have opted to sell the Sugdens and are planning to mount the speakers high on a wall, my advice would be to re-think and get a quality headphone system. You are not going to get imaging, etc. from mounting speakers up high. If you just want sound there are lots of cheap options for when you something in the background. You could get a very good headphone system for your money!

12. rissey

Maybe i don't understand, but the idea of buying some new speakers and an amp to then listen to music though headphones doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean a headphones/pre-amp that would drive the speakers a bit harder? What system would you suggest? They won't actually be that high I've decided, they'll be head height.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think they are saying don't buy speakers at all or an amp for them, just buy a headphone system instead. Headphones are neat, but not everyone prefers HPs over speakers. Head height should be fine. 10 feet above your head may not be ideal.

rissey likes this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Head height when standing, or sitting? And, if standing, what does that mean exactly? 6ft?

As patient_ot surmised, I'm suggesting that you knock the speaker idea on the head if you don't have the space to position the speakers correctly. Otherwise all you are getting is sound, and there are lots of options for that should you feel the need.

If your current situation precludes proper speaker placement, you will get much better sound quality with a headphone set-up. Depending on the type of headphones, or in which room you listen, you will not disturb other household members that way too.

As for recommendations, it will all depend on your budget, what equipment you already possess (sources, DAC, etc.) and any preferences for headphone type and sonic signature. If you opt to go this route, start a new thread, and members like Ham Sandwich will give you a list a mile long!

rissey likes this.
  15. rissey

My listening context would be communal with my partner and friends, so headphones wouldn't work. I appreciate what I think you're saying - that I could get a better sound experience via a headphone route than with poorly positioned speakers. Im 5, 10 so it'll be around there, perhaps a little lower. I already have a sugden headphone/per-amp (which im selling), so if i was to go your route I could add a DAC, then headphones.. but then I suppose headphones are their own wormhole, and i'd back were i started with the ones i could afford 'just getting me sound'. Maybe not, and who knows, maybe after this Corona thing ill just want to listen to music on my own! But for now i'll be sticking with the original plan.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. The IOTAVX is nothing special—just a new rebrand of an older Chinese OEM design. It’s made by ToneWinner who has been making similar gear for Emotiva and Nuforce since 2014, at least. Not to say it is a bad product, but the new hype seems to be just that—hype.

I’d add this unit to your shortlist, too. You can only get it in the UK:

Marantz PM6006 UK Edition (2018) review | What Hi-Fi?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    rissey and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Any brand name or marketing company can create hype on OEM products like this by sending out loads of free samples to prominent "YT reviewers", paying for ads, thinly veiled social media promotion, etc. It encourages people that don't know better to rush out and buy things. Forums are also full of shills nowadays too.

rissey and Billy Budapest like this.
  18. And also of people being wrongly accused of shills too!

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yeah, that too.

20. rissey

I’ve actually just today ordered the amp. A yamaha as801. It had a few shills here, the reviews were good and most importantly it looks really nice..

have a few speakers coming to audition too (triangles, kef and elac).. so I guess I’ll report back what I find. Thanks all for advising in such detail for what is, let’s be honest, a very low-end setup. Much appreciated

Last edited: May 26, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.