Looking for industrial ambient recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr-Beagle, Aug 14, 2019.

1. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

[​IMG]

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord ‎– "Stalker"

Starquest likes this.
  2. Moon42

Moon42 Active Member

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Is it a requirement that ambient should go anywhere though? I thought the opposite was true. Hypnotic, repetitive.

4. jimmydean

jimmydean Forum Resident

sonic youth - total trash - the middle section
    (or any glenn branca symphony)

5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Resident

The term "wallpaper music" is often used as a pejorative to denote music that is really there to provide a background sonic environment, rather than for active listening. Yet when you think about it, that's what "ambient music" is, and is intended to be. The title of Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" says it all. Airports are not a place where you expect to be able to sit and devote half an hour to listening to a musical work. You normally has lots of other things on your mind, such as when is your flight going to be called for boarding, or how long will it be until that baggage carousel disgorges your backpack. You would not really be listening to the music, but it provides, or claims to provide, a more pleasant sonic environment than just silence or the noises one normally associates with airports.

That being the case, it's a mistake to judge ambient music by the same criteria one judges a classical concerto or a rock album. It does not need to be structured, with developing themes. It does not need to "go" anywhere. It just needs to sound pleasant when playing in the background.

6. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think of MMM as industrial.

7. Mr-Beagle

I prefer it if there's a development in the 'melody' otherwise I might as well listen to a single note being repeated. Although not industrial, Spiegel Im Spiegel is an example of what I mean.

8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

French electronic/industrial band The Grief has some terrific ambient pieces. One of my favourite bands. But this is no easy music, it is really dark.
    Sorry I cant upload pictures now, but if you can try these albuns from them:
    Kittystra 4 (1989)
    Daedalus (1991).

You can listen to some The Grief in here Norscq
    Norscq was the main force behind The Grief and other projects like The Atlas Project.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Kassonica and Mr-Beagle like this.
  9. Sear

Sear Forum Resident

Sonic Youth "Bad moon rising"

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, it's easy listening.

11. Starquest

Starquest Forum Resident

This is excellent - Apollo 11 soundtrack. watched the movie on CNN during the anniversary weekend, and it's spooky as hell (the movie and the music).

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Strange Mathematics, Rhythmic Equations

Good recommendations.

I would also add anything by Haare. This one is nice. I get the feeling though the OP isn't into anything too "harsh".

13. Mr-Beagle

If you say so.

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Forum Resident

I'm going to jump in here for a moment. :hide:

I just saw the movie Ad Astra, and while I thought the movie wasn't great, I did notice the soundtrack. :)

Anyway, I know Robert Rich, and I have a lot of his stuff. I actually asked him once, if he ever thought about doing anything a little more grating or aggressive. I used mid '70's King Crimson as the model. ;) He said, no ...

Anyway, I cut and pasted a lot of stuff in here. And while I'm not really looking for (hard core?) industrial ambient, I'd certainly like to explore stuff with more of an edge than Tangerine Dream, Bass Communion, shoot, I have a crapload of "regular" ambient, just not off the top of my head. I also really like Bruce Gilbert and the stuff he did with/as Dome. The Solaris soundtrack, the 2046 soundtrack, the Equalizer soundtrack, etc ...

15. Naglis Bertulis

Naglis Bertulis New Member

This is my new ambient work. Please listen :

kevin5brown likes this.
  16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Forum Resident

This is pretty cool. I wouldn't really call it "industrial" ambient though, just good plain "ambient". :)

17. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Forum Resident

Ambient 4: Isolationism. Compilation, best heard late at night in a dark room...