Looking for recollections of lost TV appearences

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris M, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Does anyone remember seeing any of the below lost, missing or discarded TV appearances. If so I'd love to hear your recollections since none of the below footage has survived. I'll include a brief description of th show in an attempt to jog any memories. Here we go.....

Hendrix on the Tonight Show in '69.

-Flip Wilson was the guest host. Jimi played Lover Man with Billy Cox and the Tonight Show house band drummer. The first take broke down because Jimi's amp blew. Flip Wilson filibustered why they changed the amp. Jimi played an inspired and complete Lover Man following the amp switch. A decent audio recording of the above survives.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience on the Dusty Springfield show in April of '68.

-The EXP played Stone Free, Mockingbird, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return).
    Believe it or not but Mockingbird was a *duet* between Dusty and Jimi with the EXP. A poor quality audio recording and a video recording made by pointing a Super 8 camera at the TV screen survive. Quality is pretty bad but you can still see and hear Jimi and Dusty trading lines on Mockingbird. They are obviously having a ball and the performance is tight and enthusiastic.

Pink Floyd on The Perry Como Show in November of '67

-Little is known about this but according to then PF mgr Andrew King they mimed to Matilda Mother

Pink Floyd on The Pat Boone show in November of '67

-Someone who worked with the show reports that all footage, photographs and paperwork from The Pat Boone show were thrown in a dumpster. The legend is Pat Boone asked Syd on camera to make some sort of statement on the evils of drugs. Syd reported gave the camera a 1000 yard stare.

Lennon and McCartney on The Tonight Show

-Surely someone must remember seeing this. I've seen the Super 8 footage of the TV screen and it's really too poor to gauge the show. Hard to believe that they had a guest host the night John and Paul were on.

Looking forward to everyones comments!

Chris

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

James Taylor & Carly Simon on the David Stienberg Show in the summer of 1971.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Wasnt the guest host of the Lennon/Mcartney Tonight show joe Garagiola?

4. RetroSmith

Also, Buddy Rich on "Heres Lucy", 1971. What a great episode. Buddy teaches Craig to play his drum solo, and Buddy Wails on a solo of his own.

5. Chris M

Yeap. Sure was. There is a mid 70's Lennon interview where he bemoans that 'Joe Dimaggio' interviewed them on the Tonight show:D

Chris

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Chris,

Great theme for a thread. I can't help you but I'll have a go anyway. ;).

My favorite Hendrix spot was when he guested on 'Lulu' in England. She introduced him and his new hit "Hey Joe", Jimi obliged for a few bars and then said "enough of this rubbish" (IIRC) and led the band into "Sunshine of Your Love".

I don't know if that clip is rare.

7. jdw

jdw Senior Member

The Lulu clip was included on the "Cream: Strange Brew" documentary (recently reissued on DVD). I don't know if the performance is 100% complete.

The Hendrix family will probably reissue it one of these days as part of their DVD catalogue.

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Remember when the Doobie Brothers were on a sitcom, I can't remember the name, but the main charactor was "rerun". Anyway, I think they played "Takin' it to the Steets". Pretty strange.

9. xios

xios Senior Member

I saw the Lennon and McCartney Tonight Show appearance. They seemed a bit uncomfortable and obviously miffed that the real host was not there. They had to answer annoying questions like "Do you think you'll ever top Sgt. Pepper?". Poor Joe Garagiola was way out of his league. Talulah Bankhead was also on at the time, but I don't recall anything she said...

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Supposedly she made some unflattering remarks about them starting up the Apple organization.

Somebady somewhere must have the footage to this broadcast. Too bad VCR's were still years away from mainstream use in 1968. And who was the idiot at NBC who ordered the scrapping of the video tapes?

11. floyd

floyd Senior Member

:thumbsup: You said it. I would love to watch some of the old Carson Tonight Shows. Imagine what has been lost.

As for the Pink Floyd stuff I have been hoping for years to see those legendary appearences and I had hoped that the video anthology that was in the works by Nick Mason would have them but nothing.

My mother watched Mike Douglas all the time and I can remember seeing John and Yoko co host but I don't remember any detail as I would have been pretty young. The Mike Douglas show had co hosts on for a whole week the J&Y week would be a fun 5 shows to watch.

12. Chris M

13. RetroSmith

Actually, the odds are that the Lennon Mcartney video tape still exists.
    Theres a lot of color footage that exists from post 1967 of The Tonight Show. Its really the earlier black and white footage that they erased to reuse. For many years, NBC had reported that they had very very little of the shows on tape prior to 1972 twhen the show moved to California.

Then around 1986 or so, NBC found LOADS of Tonight shows from 1967 onwards on one inch color videotape in a warehouse, along with kinescopes of some early 50s NBC live broadcasts.
    From what I'm told, The Tonight show tapes were transferred to 3/4 inch Umatic, and stored in Burbank. I hope they kept the original reels tho.

I've seen one of the shows they found, and its funny because Johnny curses at the overhead microphone. Apparantly he did that sort of thing a lot, but of course, they were all edited out of the telecast version.

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wow, thanks for this link. I felt kinda embarrased reading it, as the two genious musicians are talked down to by an aged actress and a sports announcer. UGH!

Wheeeeeeeeere's Johnny????

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for the link, ChrisM. I never saw the broadcast, but I was chuckling here as I read it because the "theater of the mind" filled in the picture.:cool:

16. Chris M

I don't know Mikey. It seems like if Apple would of found the Tonight Show footage we would of saw some of it on the Anthology or at least heard about it.

Chris

17. Chris M

I think that the various '67 Pink Floyd TV appearences just don't exist anymore. The BBC really tried to find some of the 'lost' Syd era Floyd TV appearences (Pat Boone Show, Dutch show Fanclub, etc) for the BBC2 Syd documentary that aired last year but just couldn't find anything. The only '67 Floyd footage I know for certain exists but doesn't circulate is some home movie footage of the 5 piece goofing around backstage before one of the 1/68 shows. The person who has seen the clip remarked on happy they all looked, including Syd :eek:

Chris

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Those shows survive; Rhino put out a boxed set of the entire week's worth of John and Yoko hosting the Mike Douglas Show.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Remember Roy Clark on The Odd Couple? It worth a watch just to see the amazed look on Tony and Jack's face's! Roy made that Martin sing:)

and...Clarence White on the Andy Griffith Show...:)

20. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

Just about any of the 1970 Johnny Cash (RIP) shows: James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt (backed by the future Eagles), Dylan, Derek and the Dominos.

I remember the first time I heard of James Taylor. Arlo Guthrie was on TV (I think Dick Cavett), talking about this great singer that we would be hearing more from, and of a rather spiritual or spooky experience they had in a mountain cabin. This made me search out his already hard to find Apple album, before Sweet Baby James was released.

The original Soundstage series on WTTW in Chicago had a lot of great guests, including my first exposure to Billy Joel. He's not always my favorite musicician, but his talent was fully formed, and he did a string of imitations of great piano-based musicians - Elton John, Ray Charles, Leon Russel, etc.

The most obscure was The Underground News on a UHF station in Chicago, probably 1969. Originally a text crawl when the station had nothing to show, it told of pot busts and happenings, sponsored by head shops and sandal emporia, and I had to sneak it on so my parents wouldn't know. Once they went to a hosted half-hour, they had great Chicago and nationally known musicians, with Steve Goodman, John Prine, and Harry Chapin coming to mind.

21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I do remember some bits from that Mike Douglas John & Yoko week. I remember J & Y jamming with Chuck Berry; I also remember an audience Q & A with John and Yoko. An astute audience member asked John about "How Do You Sleep". Lennon responded that it was in response to some things Paul said about him on his last album, and that it was just a little "dig" at his best friend.

22. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Pink Floyd on American Bandstand still exsists,as I have "Apples & Oranges" All we need is "See Emily Play"(?) & the attempted interview,where Syd didn't answer ol' Dick.As for the Pat Boone Show,a few years ago,a friend of mine met him & asked about it & he said "Wow! I remember that!,I have all of those shows at home." As for Lennon/McCartney on the Tonight Show,NBC might not have it,but I've heard Apple does.As great as Anthology was,there was footage,in circulation,that wasn't used......Now,if anybody could find Bob Dylan on Les Crane or the Rolling Stones on either Les Crane or The Clay Cole Show or Tom & Jerry on American Bandstand......

23. Chris M

Actually, Syd did answer Dick Clark's questions in the American Bandstand interview. Part of the interview was used on the VH1 Legends Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd program. A few collectors have the rest of Clark's brief interview with the band and Syd tells Dick Clark that he wrote Apples, wrote most of the songs on Piper and that the band is in American for 10 days. Also, the band didn't play See Emily on Bandstand, just Apples and Oranges.

Very interesting about the Pat Boone show as I know the BBC tried to find it for their Syd documentary and were told by someone associated with the original show that all the shows were thrown away. I sure hope it turns up one day.

Chris

24. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Some of the Mike Douglas stuff is out on video. I bought one of the ones with Frank Zappa playing "Zoot Allures."

My uncle was a session musician in the late 60's-early 70's, and appeared on the Mike Douglas Show backing the singing duo Peter & Gordon. He called King World a couple of years ago and the tape of the show was listed as being in the vault! He paid them a decent chunk of change to have the show transferred to video so he could get a copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.