Looking for record stores in the PA, MD and DC area.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zardozislove, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

Got the itch to look through stacks of 45s lately and I am trying to find some new stores to check out. I am a regular customer of Record Connection in Ephrata and have recently been to George's Song Shop in Johnstown as well. My question is, what other record stores are there in the PA - MD - DC - VA area that carry a large selection of old 45's. I figure who better than this panel of experts to ask ;)

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Keith

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Keith,

I go to The Record Connection several times a year, and I don't think that you will find another store in the MD/DC/VA area that has as many 45's for sale as they do. Ever since Yesterday and Today Records in Rockville and Music Machine in Baltimore went out of business, the best place to look for 45's would probably be at local record shows. Isn't there a monthly record show in PA every month; I believe that it used to be in Blue Ball? There is also a monthy record show in Arbutus, MD, in fact there this month's show is tomorrow. Also, I believe that Skip Groff, the former owner of Yesterday and Today Records, sets up a table at the Arbutus, MD show; I would think that he might still be a good contact for 45's.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. KLM

KLM Senior Member

The record scene in Baltimore is pretty bleak. I use to buy my Beatles albums at record machine and although they don't have a store front, I did see an online store that may be from the same people. I have never bought anything from them recently so really can't comment but may be worth a look.

4. Tom

Tom Senior Member

The store for 45's in Pa. is Val Shively in Upper Darby. He specializes in Doo Wop and R&B but I beleive he has all genre's. He's reported to have over 4 million 45's.
    Also Plastic Fantastic in Ardmore Pa. has 45's- mainly New Wave and Punk.

Tom

5. japes

japes Senior Member

Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville is a fine store. They have quite a few 45's. Good prices too.

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

One of the best places for 7" 45s in MD/DC area is:

Roadhouse Oldies - 958 Thayer Ave. - Silver Spring MD 301. 587.1858

I'd also recommend Orpheus Records for vinyl - used to be in Georgetown for many years and now is in Arlington VA.

ReadyGuide has a good listing and links to sites - it includes the majors but a lot of the indies too. Many of these deal only in CDs though...

and the monthly show in Arbutus has a lot of 45s, as stated.

cheers,
    Ken

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That show is now held monthly (usually the second Sunday of the month) at Lancaster Catholic High School, 650 Juliette Avenue in Lancaster, PA. Dates for the rest of the year are September 14th, October 12th, November 9th and December 14th.

Also, try the Thanksgiving weekend show in King Of Prussia, PA, Nov. 29th-30th at the Valley Forge Convention Center, just off of the turnpike. That one's an annual event for me. It was kind of dodgy as far as dealers and attendance for a couple of years, but seems to be making a nice comeback.

8. HeavyDistortion

"That show is now held monthly (usually the second Sunday of the month) at Lancaster Catholic High School, 650 Juliette Avenue in Lancaster, PA. Dates for the rest of the year are September 14th, October 12th, November 9th and December 14th."

Reechie,

Thanks for the info on the Lancaster show. I also agree that the Valley Forge show should not be missed. Over the years, it's been my favorite show to attend.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Heavy D and Japes are on the money as is Ere.
    Definitely check out Joes. And for 45's Skip is the man.
    His store is strictly virtual now so check him out at
    Yesterday&Today.

And when you are in DC let us know and we can reconvene the DC Area Chapter of the SH Forum and Beer Drinkers club. We are due for another meeting!

Cheers!:cheers:

Norm

10. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

If you find yourself in the Pittsburgh area, I HIGHLY recommend Jerry's Used Records in Squirrel Hill. He has tons of 45s and they are all quite cheap ($2 a piece, I think). His prices on everything are very reasonable. No CDs, just vinyl.
    -George

11. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

In Baltimore, Joe's Record Paradise also has a Harford Road location that has quite a number of 45's. I bought a stack there about a month ago, their prices are reasonable. I don't buy 45's quite as much any more, I already have the ones I really like and they don't make too many anymore, and I'm not terribly interested in reissues...besides, changing a record every 3 mins. is annoying;)

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

2136 Murray Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15217 to be exact. :)
    Jerry's is the only place that I know of that still has vinyl.
    Be sure to check out the Good Stuff (new arrivals) section first. About a year ago I found an exceptionally clean Mono Introducing the Beatles black/silver label AND a great sounding Buckingham/Nicks gate fold for $15 each.

Oh yeah, two more things... bring plenty of CASH... Jerry doesn't believe in credit cards and he's closed on Mondays & Tuesdays.

While I'm at it, even though it's a few months away, there is going to be a "All Vinyl Records Show" at the Greentree Radisson Hotel (off the Parkway West, I-279 south) on Sunday November 16th from 10am to 4pm.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I second that motion. Unfortunately, some folks have multiple Springsteen shows to attend. ;) ;) ;) JUST KIDDING.

In fact, we could reconvene near or at the Paradise (Joe's).

BTW, Mr. 45 (Skip) is now a regular at the Tyson's Corner show. Also due for another gathering soon. The Tyson's Corner Record show IS THE place for 45s in the DC area. IMHO.
    Ben

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My $.02 on DC outlets:

1. Joe's is the best- great selection of used and new vinyl, fair prices and knowledgable staff who care about music. A great place to browse and talk tunes with the staff. In Rockville, MD on Gude Drive off Rt. 355.

2. Orpheus- I've never been to the Arlington store because I always felt that their prices in DC in Georgetown before they moved were way too high. Never got good vibes from the staff when I visited, probably because I generally expressed incredulity at the prices and rarely bought anything. Fair enough.

3. Yesterday & Today. Its closing was a real loss. Skip's a great guy and was in it for the music. Didn't help things when CDs trumped vinyl in the eyes of the unwashed, Best Buy opened up across the street and Tower nearby. I got some great stuff there over the years and miss my Saturday morning visits. He always had musicians from local punk bands employed as clerks, which made things very colorful there.

4. Another place you may want to check out is Second Story Books, which also trades in vinyl and some used CDs at all of their DC area stores. They also have a warehouse in Rockville, on Parklawn Drive about 10-15 minutes from Joe's, that seems to largely have the rejects from the stores but sells the LPs for $1 a pop. Lots of junk, but, if you persevere, you can really find some good stuff there for very little. Often, a good cleaning does the trick. Nice selection of music books, too. I have gotten some mint compilations of 60s rock criticism and stuff like Apple to the Core there for the current price of a magazine. Nice selection of books in other areas too, like fiction, history, philosophy, biographies, etc.- that non-music stuff that those other people read for some reason.

Hope this helps.

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

No need to visit the Arlington store. Things have only gotten worse. New vinyl is list price plus $5 plus tax. Unless you need to touch the merchandise before you buy, your wallet will feel better buying through one of the usual web stores. Sad but true.

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Didn't Henry Rollins supposedly work there for awhile.

Great place, I stopped there any time I was in the area for several years. Miss it very much.
    :sigh:

17. xios

xios Senior Member

Reechie, Henry may have worked at Skips occasionally, mostly I saw him hanging out when his buddy Ian McKaye (Teen Idles,Fugazi)was working there. Both were still skater dudes when they first discovered Y&T.

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

It's interesting how one's experiences vary and impart different impressions. The last time I visited there before they closed I was looking for anything promo of Peter Gabriel w/ Afro Celt Sound System. When I asked he replied, "we don't carry that kind of music." Okaaaaay.:confused: Something tells me that kind of customer service attitude had something to do with his closing.

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean Ken. I first came to his store back in the late seventies. He was less than friendly to me sometimes. Others he would be very different.

I posted this a week ago in another thread about Yesterday and Today:

Yep, I bought a bunch of LPs and 45s when they were a brick and mortar store. If you asked about mono LPs and 45 singles, Skip liked you. If you were strictly LP and stereo ....hummm not good.

I believe originally he had a partner. His partner had the LP side of the store and he had the punk and 45 RPM singles side. Eventually he had to take over the whole store and I don't think his heart was in the LP business.

20. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Y&T

I believe that Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye worked there as young punks

I remember when Skip had a heavy metal AM radio show. He's a little droll but a good guy.

Best-
    Norm

Hey Ben: Is the barefoot guy still at Orpheus?

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Personal experience only, but I have absolutely no complaints about the way I was treated by Skip over the years.

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Re: Y&T

He was there last fall, long toenails and all:)

Ere

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Y&T

He was there a few months ago. Barefoot still. All by himself. He looked at me and said..."I know you". Apparently he fired all his help and does everything himself. He's got more vinyl than I've ever seen in one place, but it's all in boxes you are not allowed to touch. He claims he has no time to sort it out. Plus he charges WAY TOO MUCH for stuff, and yet he complains that there is no "Vinyl Revival" going on.
    I bought one LP, Bo Diddley's a Gunslinger.
    He seemed happy that at least I bought something after I spent 2 hours there. :laugh:

24. HeavyDistortion

I believe originally he had a partner. His partner had the LP side of the store and he had the punk and 45 RPM singles side. Eventually he had to take over the whole store and I don't think his heart was in the LP business.

Ben,

Skip's partner was a great guy, Al Ercolani, and their store, Hit and Run Records, was originally in Kensington, MD. A friend of mine discovered the store in about 1977 and turned me onto it. Al had cutouts of LPs that I had not seen for years. Skip eventually left Hit and Run Records to start Yesterday and Today Records. By the way, Al Ercolani is one of the nicest people that I have ever met that was in the record store business. Sometime after Hit and Run Records closed down, I remember that he worked at Joe's Record Paradise for a period of time.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

from this week's Montgomery Gazette

Roadhouse Oldies caters to the sounds of the past
    by Meredith Hooker
    Staff Writer
    [​IMG]
    Josephat Mua of Aspen Hill digs through stacks of vintage vinyl at Roadhouse Oldies in Silver Spring, which has sold oldies and soul of yesteryear since 1974.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Aug. 20, 2003

Vinyl records and posters hang in the window. Nostalgic music blares from inside the store out onto Thayer Avenue, telling passersby about superfreaks, brick houses, magic moments, steamboats, grapevines and r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

Inside the store, Elvis smiles down from the ceiling, the music continues to play, and 45s and LPs ( known as "records" for those who born in the CD era) line the walls.

But you won't find the latest Christina or Justin in Roadhouse Oldies. As the name might indicate, the store -- an oldie itself -- specializes in oldies music, specifically 1950s and 1960s rock and roll, doo-wop and Motown, and 1970s and 1980s soul.

The store, as well as a location in Baltimore, opened in 1974, said Alan Lee, owner of Roadhouse Oldies and disc jockey for Baltimore radio station WQSR, 102.7 FM. Initially, the store catered to 1950s doo-wop and 1960s Motown in a time "before oldies were really popular," he said. Eventually, he said, the store began to include music from the 1970s and 1980s, as well as DVDs of older movies, like "His Girl Friday."

"You've got to keep up with the times," Lee said.

But you also have to hang onto the past, because that's what shoppers come looking for at Roadhouse Oldies.

"Here's the irony. When we opened the store in '74, we were selling music to people who didn't care for the music of the decade, like the Partridge Family. Now here we are, 30 years later, 80 percent of what we sell is '70s music," Lee said.

It's a niche market, but Roadhouse Oldies does good business, Lee said.

"We've been here so long, we've established a reputation," he said. "There aren't a whole lot of record stores in Silver Spring."

He said the store is attractive to shoppers because of its unique music selection -- as well as employees' willingness to order hard-to-find items if the store doesn't carry them -- and the fact that two professional disc jockeys with a passion for music run the store. Warren "Scooter" Magruder, a man who can quickly recall the titles of songs and names of artists, is the Silver Spring store's general manager and has a Sunday night show on WBIG, 100.3 FM.

"Being here for so long, you do get regulars," Magruder agreed. And because of Silver Spring's redevelopment and the arrival of Discovery Communications employees, Magruder said the store is also seeing many new customers of all ages, backgrounds and interests.

"DJs in the area come here if they want dance music," Lee said. "People come to replace their LPs with CDs. People who enjoyed funk music in the '70s come here."

People also are lured into the store by the music it plays. The store plays XM Satellite Radio and usually keeps the station on "Soul Street," Magruder said, and "it helps business. People say, 'Oh let me buy that.'"

Shoppers also come in looking for music that's out of print, Magruder said, which can be difficult to obtain if it hasn't been reissued onto a CD or cassette. "A lot of times, things are only available on record and people don't have a way of playing it."

"The demand for records isn't what it was in 1974," Lee agreed. (But Roadhouse Oldies sells turntables, just in case.)

The demand for old-time rock and roll and oldies but goodies is still strong. When people ask for songs, it's usually music they liked as teenagers, Magruder said, adding that he is also partial to music he listened to as a teen.

"Almost everyone does. You had no bills, you were living at home. You danced to it, you listened to it on the radio. You always think that music is the best music that will ever come out ever again," he said. "It's like the ballplayers. The best ones are always the old ones."

Maybe Bob Seger had it right when he sang that today's music ain't got the same soul.

Roadhouse Oldies doesn't carry current music. But the store will order it for people who request it, and it's usually R&B or pop that's on stations that combine new music with oldies, Magruder said.

"We don't carry current music unless it's something like the Temptations put out something new," he said.

It's true. The walls are lined with the likes of Bootsy Collins, Marvin Gaye, Lou Rawls, The Spaniels and The Supremes. Many Washington, D.C., artists can also be found in the store, including Van McCoy, the man responsible for a little dance some might remember as The Hustle.

One of Magruder's favorite LPs sits high on the wall, out of the reach of most customers. It's expensive, more than $70, because he said he almost can't bear to part with it.

The out-of-reach artist is Flora Molton. Molton, a street lady, was virtually blind and used to stay at the corner of 7th and G streets in Washington, D.C., playing the guitar and singing. In 1987, a record company helped her record her songs in Europe.

Unlike Molton's LP, most music in the store is relatively inexpensive. 45s start at $3.25, LPs start at $3, tapes start at $6.95 and CDs start at $9.98. But one wall of rare 45s, complete with their original covers, can cost a music lover as much as $300. each

On Friday, 26-year-old Justus Taylor of Oxon Hill, who works in Silver Spring, wasn't perusing the rare 45s. He was digging through a rack of CDs near the front of the store, searching for a Stephanie Mills album. A friend had been looking for a specific song on the album, he said.

"I can't find it. I was in here last week and I saw it," he said. "They must have sold it."

Taylor said he often comes into the store when he's looking for older music.

"Most of the time they have [the music]. It's a great store," he said.

A few aisles over, Josephat Mua, 36, of Aspen Hill flipped through some 45s.

"This is good stuff," Mua said, gesturing to a Lionel Richie disc.

That particular day, Mua said he came to the store to look for some reggae music, either on CD or LP since he still owns a record player. A while later, Mua happily settled himself at the store's listening station--a turntable and headphones--with an old Jimmy Cliff album.

Old is the theme of Roadhouse Oldies, and Silver Spring is looking toward the new, but Lee and Magruder say they aren't worried about losing business or having to close shop as more stores populate the downtown.

"We've outlasted the Little Tavern and Gifford's Ice Cream," Lee said, referring to two older stores that have closed. "Redevelopment can't hurt; it might even help."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.